Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Are we posting reviews here or in their own threads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here. I will then link the posts in the OP.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I'll take one. I enjoy dramas like Breaking Bad, Fargo, Mad Men, True Detective and The Shield, and comedies like 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Nathan For You, Review, Key & Peele, Futurama, Community, Louie, Seinfeld, Stewart/Colbert/Oliver, Harvey Birdman, Tom Goes to the Mayor, Check it Out!, Spun Out, etc. I also like a select few reality shows, like The Amazing Race, The Mole and Whodunnit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gently caress, I have to go out, so I won't have mine done until tonight. Kinda want that assignment.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I want in.

Comedies I like: It's Always Sunny, American Dad, HIMYM, The Office (US & UK), Parks & Rec, 30 Rock

Dramas: Friday Night Lights, Hannibal, The Wire, The Shield, The Sopranos, The X FIles, Person of Interest

I've also seen a random sampling of episodes of the two main lousy syndicated CBS comedies (BBT and Two and a Half Men).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Josh Lyman: Smallville Season 4 Episode 8 (I'm sorry.)
Background
This show debuted at the end of high school/beginning of college. I might have seen an episode here and there while in someone else's dorm room, but I never watched it myself. My understanding is that the show was okay in its early years but CW ran it into the ground and then some.

Live Reaction
-Kristin Kreuk in 1604 France? :confused:
-Kreuk and 2 others are burned at the stake for witchcraft, then modern day Lana Lang buys the witch's spellbook from eBay. I expect Lana to invoke a spell, causing herself to be possessed by the witch and discover that she's a descendant.
-Annnd there it is, all before the credits.
-The witch is trying to get hair from 2 virgins. In an early scene, she takes a hair from Lois Lane only to dismiss it as non-virginal and grey. The acting is atrocious.
-This time we have innuendo-laden dialogue as the witch tries to get hair from Clark. I assume this will backfire as he's not human.
-Lex Luthor's hands don't match up at all to the music he's playing on the piano. In any case, the witch sees an illuminated manuscript with a hidden map and vanishes it away, then casts a spell on Lex that would have him play the piano forever.
-Kruek makes Lois Lane and Chloe drink wine and causes them to be possessed by her 2 friends that were also burned at the stake.
-The B plot is Chloe's birthday party, which is being held in a barn, best as I can tell. The 3 witches take a break from their quest for the stones that Lex's map lead to in order to turn things into an underwear party.
-Clark Kent dances like a potato.
-Lana witch strips Clark of his powers.
-In literally the next scene, Clark uses his laser eyes and destroys the spellbook, releasing Lana, Lois, and Chloe from possession. So much for that.

Summary
As far as body swap/possession stories go, it's not that this was bad as much as it was aggressively mediocre in that low-budget CW kind of way. I didn't want to turn it off, but it was impossible to keep focus. I suspect that if I were a fan of the series, I'd be very upset at this waste of an episode, which I assume was done for Halloween given the episode number. The only real criticism I can make, aside from the shoddy plot, is the acting from the female leads while possessed was campy and awful.

NEXT!

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 10, 2014

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Oh I'm in.

Stuff that's on my DVR right now:
24, Playing House, Fargo, Inside Amy Schumer, Cosmos, Review, Hannibal, Almost Human ( :( ), Key & Peele, Walking Dead, Trophy Wife ( :( ), Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Agents of SHIELD, Whose Line?, Basically all Gordon Rmasey shows, Elementary, Supernatural, Cougar Town, Scandal, The Mindy Project, Louie, Mad Men, Parks and Rec, Community, Big Bang Theory, Psych, HIMYM, Modern Family, Castle, Luther, House of Cards (US), Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley,

Other stuff I've seen:
Friday Night Lights, The Shield, The Wire, The X-Files, Everything up to the first half of Person of Interest of this season, Futurama, 30 Rock, The Office (both), MST3K, Eureka, Party Down, BSG, Friends, Seinfeld, Arrested Development, ST:TNG and TOS, the first seasons of Bob's Burgers, Revolution, Glee, Archer and Adventure Time

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

God forgive me for what I am about to do.

Max22: Saved By The Bell Season 1 Episode 5

User-Friendly: Saved By The Bell The College Years Season 1 Episode 6

Annakie: Saved By The Bell The New Class Season 1 Episode 7

Josh Lyman I'll get back to you soon.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ahahahahahahahaha

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Deadpool posted:

*edit* never mind, this is the New Class, not the college years, like I was thinking of. I'm on it!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I've seen some of Eureka DP.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Yesssss! The Original Series!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Deadpool posted:

Just another one of those shows I always see listed on Amazon Prime but have no clue what it is. Now I'll know!

Primeval is great, if somewhat campy and low budget. The first couple seasons are real fun. Now, an ACTUAL punishment would be to watch Primeval: New World, the Canadian spinoff cancelled after 1 season.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Deadpool posted:

God forgive me for what I am about to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6zqHKd265E

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

quote:

CaptainHollywood: Teen Wolf Season 3 Episode 9

I haven't seen a single CW show since Smallville season 5 so this will be interesting. I think I got off lucky compared to most people here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Annakie posted:

*edit* never mind, this is the New Class, not the college years, like I was thinking of. I'm on it!

Go for it! (EDIT: Oh you are, good!)

hcreight: She-Ra Princess of Power Season 1 Episode 10

This is an excellent place to note that if you get a really bad episode the first time up I'll make up for it the next time.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CaptainHollywood posted:

I haven't seen a single CW show since Smallville season 5 so this will be interesting. I think I got off lucky compared to most people here.

Teen Wolf is MTV.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Irish Joe posted:

Teen Wolf is MTV.

I'm confusing it with Vampire Diaries.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Josh Lyman, the episode I was saving for the first person is one that I know you've already seen. So you don't get it unfortunately. So I'll give you a unique assignment instead. You can pick any of the episodes already assigned to someone else and either pick the episode directly preceding or following it. Your choice! Please let us know what you're picking before you watch it.

And for another fun game. Of the episodes below that I've assigned I've actually seen four of them. If you can name the correct four episodes I've seen I will assign you my personal favorite episode of television ever. You can do this even if you've already signed up.

Mr. Aristocrates: Primeval Season 3 Episode 4
Josh Lyman: Smallville Season 4 Episode 8
PootieTang: The Middle Season 5 Episode 19
Maxwell Lord: Robin Hood (2006) Season 4 Episode 13
Rarity: Person of Interest Season 3 Episode 8
xeria: Warehouse 13 Season 4 Episode 13
Solid Poopsnake: Sex and the City Season 4 Episode 10
Bown: House of Lies Season 2 Episode 8
MrFlibble: Reign Season 1 Episode 15
IRQ: The Following Season 2 Episode 9

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

I'm betting on you being a huge Saved by the Bell nerd.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Just fyi for everyone: Deadpool has seen all of Smallville, so you only have to guess three

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

I'm betting on you being a huge Saved by the Bell nerd.

Close, but not close enough.

Occupation posted:

Just fyi for everyone: Deadpool has seen all of Smallville, so you only have to guess three

Unfortunately so.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK sure why not. I enjoy Rectify, Fargo, The Americans, Northern Exposure, Archer, Always Sunny, Mad Men, House, and some terrible animes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

Smallville because you're a nerd.
House of Lies for Kristen Bell.
The Following for irony.
Saved By The Bell because that's what all the kids watched twenty years ago.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Close, but not close enough.

Can I have another crack at it? Because if you didn't see ALL of SbtB, the I'm thinking it was just Saved Prime and College Years. Smallville's confirmed, so I'm thinking...Reign.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

Smallville because you're a nerd.
House of Lies for Kristen Bell.
The Following for irony.
Saved By The Bell because that's what all the kids watched twenty years ago.

Nope. I don't watch TV for irony.

DivisionPost posted:

Can I have another crack at it? Because if you didn't see ALL of SbtB, the I'm thinking it was just Saved Prime and College Years. Smallville's confirmed, so I'm thinking...Reign.

Sure, but you're wrong again.

precision: NCIS LA Season 4 Episode 14

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Wow you gave Rarity probably the worst episode to watch. Part 1 of a 3-parter that is a culmination to a 3 year story arc. Anyways I'm down for doing one of these, here's a list of all the shows I'm following on that tv calendar website. http://i.imgur.com/h94xNab.jpg (disregard the 0% watched thing, I'm caught up on all of these)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

*edit* It's been found! Thanks Occ! Disregard the below!

---
I've tried every means I know of for the last hour (at least a dozen places) or so to find this episode and I can't find any The New Class anywhere unless I buy the DVD, which I would prefer not to. Sorry Deadpool, can I get a reassignment?

*edit* I was really looking forward to it, too, because the episode title is Homecoming King and high school homecoming episodes are ALWAYS a special kind of terrible / painful.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 10, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

Right. Well, this is a show. It's not a badly made show, but it's a show I nevertheless had never heard of and knew nothing about until I read the netflix blurb and subsequently tracked down the episode I was assigned.

Good, bad, what the hell is it?
Think of it as a serial procedural cat and mouse show about a serial killer cult leader and the FBI. I have nothing expressly bad or good to say about it; to give a general indication of quality, it's a show on Fox that made it past the first season and the leads are Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy. I really could stop there.

The worst one could say is that it's competent. I was hoping for something actively bad, so I was a bit disappointed. This show seems perfectly ok and had the premise grabbed me when it started I'm sure it's fine.

Premise
Long story short, it's about a cult surrounding a serial killer and the FBI agent trying to find him. It is unclear why, other than that Kevin Bacon is loving a reporter who is the apparent unwitting mouthpiece for the cult, but she's also kind of ok with the fame it seems to be getting her. There was some intrigue surrounding the FBI investigation but lacking context of any kind I can't say exactly what the deal was, except that some characters seemed to not actually be in the FBI anymore and I dunno maybe they were obsessed with the serial killer in some sort of foil to the cult itself? After checking wikipedia to confirm a thing or two, it appears Kevin Bacon, who I thought was the lead investigator is actually not in the FBI anymore - the episode totally didn't convey that.

Plot
Joe the Cult leader/serial killer/messiah Joe (yeah, really, Joe) may or may not have other motivations, and seems to be working toward some other goal with his right hand lady who is blond and has a nose ring as he sends her, some guy, and a psycho to go ambush reporter lady's book signing to slip her a video to leak on air. The book signing massacre was ok if you want crazy people stabbing people in network tv style I suppose. The whole reason for this, and seemingly the focus of the episode, was that Joe pulled a switcheroo with the video (revealing that he was not in fact dead, as apparently some? people thought) on some guy and his wife that were running(?) the cult, or at least a branch of it, and seized power/murdered both of them.

Also in the middle a housewife shoots herself after being confronted by an FBI agent that was her friend, after stabbing said friend. I have no idea what the hell any of that was about except I guess the housewife was an ex FBI agent that was obsessed with Joe. Kevin Bacon was there too.

Why absolutely anything at all happened was totally unclear on every level possible.

Review
It was fine? I mean, aside from some dumb dialog and bad acting moments that any show has and are far more noticeable when you have no idea what's going on, it was fine. I probably won't watch more of it, but mainly because I don't have the time and the premise doesn't grab me. I wasn't bored, I just mostly didn't know who was who and had nothing invested.

e: I'll take something else but make it interesting!

IRQ fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 10, 2014

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I watch pretty much all the popular names other people have mentioned, mostly cable shows. Always Sunny, Archer, Louie, Orphan Black, Game of Thrones, Justified, Hannibal, that stuff. Not too many sitcoms, but I like B99 and Parks and Rec and saw most of HIMYM and whatnot. I also have digital access to pretty much everything. Based on what you've been giving out it looks like it will be new to me for sure, I really haven't seen a lot of older popular shows like Glee or Smallville or most of those network shows. I did watch a lot of Saved by the Bell in the 90s though.

I'm ready for an adventure though, do your worst. I have a high tolerance for the bizarre and painful.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Annakie posted:

I've tried every means I know of for the last hour (at least a dozen places) or so to find this episode and I can't find any The New Class anywhere unless I buy the DVD, which I would prefer not to. Sorry Deadpool, can I get a reassignment?

*edit* I was really looking forward to it, too, because the episode title is Homecoming King and high school homecoming episodes are ALWAYS a special kind of terrible / painful.

check your pms

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Annakie posted:

Wait, did you intentionally assign us both homecoming themed episodes? Because that's awesome.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
So, going into Reign I had only the vaguest notion that the show was about a queen named Mary, probably Mary queen of Scots (it is). Aside from that I had to work it out as the episode went along.

The show is told Game of Thrones style - small segments of plot following a few characters before switching up to different characters. There are advantages to this style but one of the key drawbacks is that if you start at a random episode (say, 15) then you will have no idea what the gently caress is going on for pretty much the whole thing. What follows is my understanding of the episode and then a few impressions.

The show starts with a previously on that makes the show look like something it isn't. Two characters are talking about a village of people that feeds some sort of creature (the darkness) blood over scenes of an upside down dude getting his throat slit. A lady who had been fed to this creature is apparently out of its clutches and some unbeleiving woman is all like "no way". A woman is pregnant with Francis' baby but he doesn't know and he can't know (apparently, for some reason). An archduke and his sister is visiting the king, who pushes her out the window (during sex). The episode proper then begins.

The king receives a visit from the lady Kenna. She was supposed to visit last night (for sex) but didnt. She says that she didnt come because he hurt her last time (during sex). Theres some sort of deal between the king and Kenna, who is some sort of handmaiden to Mary, I'm not sure on the specifics but I'm guessing the kings going to help her find a husband at the ball but more on that later. The king then pulls a lady from behind his wardrobe and tells them to (have sex). Later Kenna wakes up tied to the lady, who is dead. She reports this to the queen, who tells her to keep it quiet.

Mary is talking to another handmaiden of hers, Lola. Lola is pregnant with Mary's husband Francis' child and needs to find a husband before it becomes obvious that she is pregnant, because apparently she becomes Francis' property if he discovers that the child is his. ANYWAY there is a ball tonight and a very clunkily set up hook for the ball - If a man presents a woman with a candle it means he is going to court her. If the woman lights the candle, it means she accepts this. I don't care if this really happened back then, if there were tapestries depicting it and this was commonplace - this sounds like a fanfiction idea meant to make plot happen because reasons. Lola is all sullen about this despite the fact that she wants a husband. She meets a dude that Mary picked out for her and agrees to accept his courtship. Turns out the dude is gay and Lola doesn't want a husband who she can never grow to love. Mary insists at first but then tells her not to go through with it, but also she had better marry someone.

The third and final handmaiden Greer is having flirty times with a servant. She is disappointed that it can never lead (to sex). They discuss the ball and then he delivers a letter. At the ball she meets Mr Pepperlord (I am not making this up) and they eat together. As Pepper tries to woo the young lady he is set on fire by a candle (how am I doing? You're on fire! I take that as a good sign. No really, you're on fire!) and saved by the servant. Later on the servant reveals he has been invited to apprentice for mr pepper in spain as a spice dude. This is quite clever - I assumed pepper had done this to get rid of the servant because he obviously liked the handmaiden but it was in fact the handmaidens idea. Anyway the handmaiden turns down mr pepper and waits for a suitor that was arranged by her parents (in the letter that we didn't get to see her read).

Completely separate from this Nostradamus is treating the young lady who was feeding the darkness. She feels guilty for running away from the castle? She sees a ghost and runs away. She gets caught by peasants and then fed her to the darkness. During this scene Nostradamus keeps interrupting her to explain why what happened happened. The dialogue here is terrible. Later on Nostradamus baptises her and says that evil is a choice and not a thing that is inside her. He's very progressive.

Bash is in a peasant hut with Rowan. I assume this scene was written entirely for people like me because Rowan explains how Bash is the bastard brother of the future king and has fled because he fears his jealousy because he used to be involved with Mary, who is now his half brothers wife. Thank you show, I am glad you explained that to me. Not sure how i'd have felt if I was watching this show and it all got explained again, but hey I'm not watching this show.
Anyway, just as Bash is about to flee France he sees blood on Rowans house. She's been chosen to feed the Darkness! Bash decides to help her family fortify the house but is drugged by them. The darkness comes and takes Rowan, Bash and Rowan's brother go to the woods to find her.

The queen talks to King Henry about the two deaths and he reveals he's been feeling ill but can't show it, because he's king. In the final scene he reveals he has had a vision of god - he knows that god chose him to be king and he taught those two ladies that they were not king - and then says he'll teach more people whose king and who isn't.

First impressions - everyone is very pretty. I guessed (correctly) that this was a CW show pretty early. Modern music keeps interrupting scenes and feels really out of place. The acting was ok for the most part but the king was really weird - he kept on delivering his lines quickly like he was trying to rush through everything. I don't normally notice things like that. There is a lot of sex but no nudity

It wasn't terrible but I can't imagine myself going back to look at what the hell any of it meant.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I hope this thread runs long enough that we get an entire season of contextless reviews for one show

Also, Reign sounds loving incredible

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I feel like an opportunity was lost to complete the Saved by the Bell quadfecta by giving someone an episode of Good Morning, Miss Bliss.

Anyway, here are some shows I like that you can use to give me my assignment: Pushing Daisies, X-Files, Twilight Zone, Twin Peaks, Louie, Oz, Six Feet Under, Malcom in the Middle, Carnivale, Everybody Hates Chris.

Deadpool posted:

And for another fun game. Of the episodes below that I've assigned I've actually seen four of them. If you can name the correct four episodes I've seen I will assign you my personal favorite episode of television ever. You can do this even if you've already signed up.

I'm going with Smallville, Teen Wolf, The Following, House of Lies.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Annakie posted:

drat. OK. Well if whatever Occ sent you didn't work out then I guess instead of partnering up with Max22 and User-Friendly you get to partner up with hcreight and review He-Man and The Masters of the Universe Season 1 Episode 15.

Ror: Dads Season 1 Episode 7 (Since Josh Lyman couldn't do it earlier in the thread)

IRQ: The Killing Season 3 Episode 3

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Deadpool posted:

Mr. Aristocrates: Primeval Season 3 Episode 4
PootieTang: The Middle Season 5 Episode 19
Maxwell Lord: Robin Hood (2006) Season 4 Episode 13
Rarity: Person of Interest Season 3 Episode 8
xeria: Warehouse 13 Season 4 Episode 13
Solid Poopsnake: Sex and the City Season 4 Episode 10
MrFlibble: Reign Season 1 Episode 15

I'm going with Saved By the Bell, Smallville, House of Lies and Warehouse 13.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aye Doc posted:

I'm going with Smallville, Teen Wolf, The Following, House of Lies.

Nope.

Daedo posted:

I'm going with Saved By the Bell, Smallville, House of Lies and Warehouse 13.

Nope.

Aye Doc: Lucky Louie Season 1 Episode 4

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Zaggitz posted:

Anyways I'm down for doing one of these, here's a list of all the shows I'm following on that tv calendar website. http://i.imgur.com/h94xNab.jpg (disregard the 0% watched thing, I'm caught up on all of these)

Deadpool plz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yo dead you should legit give someone here 203 of Last Man Standing I'd be interested in how someone who hasn't seen any other episode reacts to it

Zaggitz posted:

Deadpool plz.

you should do the americans

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 10, 2014

• Locked thread