Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ryan_woody posted:

Erm... if it was consensual, then how the hell can they charge them with anything?

NJP man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Conduct unbecoming of a Marine or something. Which is strange because I thought that's exactly what Marines did.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Underage drinking, drinking in the barracks, sex in the barracks, conduct that would bring dishonor on a servicemember, etc

For the NJP itself they had two witnesses from each platoon to cut down on false rumors.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
"Originally I wanted to be a cav scout or artillery or something cool, but my recruiter told me to do this instead because I tested well, honestly I wish I didn't listen to him, this is mad boring." The amount of times I hear this from Army people is pretty depressing. You're getting paid to literally learn a language, holy poo poo.

BovineAdapter
Jan 5, 2007
Dr3 Noodle

Androies posted:

"Originally I wanted to be a cav scout or artillery or something cool, but my recruiter told me to do this instead because I tested well, honestly I wish I didn't listen to him, this is mad boring." The amount of times I hear this from Army people is pretty depressing. You're getting paid to literally learn a language, holy poo poo.

I assume they still pump through 10x more Army than the other services? When I went though many years ago there were so many loving Army students but they also also the highest attrition rate. I see some things haven't changed.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

ryan_woody posted:

Erm... if it was consensual, then how the hell can they charge them with anything?

If everything stands as it was a few years ago, the Marines are not classified as trainees and are forbidden from associating with anyone from the other services (other than careerists). This is usually ignored, except in cases where it really can't be (see also: this).

E: just saw that laundry list up there. hahaha

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I don't even think anybody mentioned the whole thing where we're considered careerists and everybody else are still trainees.

Fraternization isn't exactly the biggest concern in this sort of situation.

There was a lot of speculation about whether or not their MCMAP belts would actually get taken, but a week or two back they finally were given the word to start wearing web belts with their cammies.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
In other news, DLI is dropping its contract with American Warrior Network, and the contract with the new ISP doesn't start until June, so unless they do something in the meantime, that's 3 months without internet. Great idea for a post that relies so heavily on the internet.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Weird question: Is there still an old, green Mazda RX4 parked down by 650, near the AF housing?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Professor Bling posted:

Weird question: Is there still an old, green Mazda RX4 parked down by 650, near the AF housing?

Sure is. I coulda sworn I saw a post about it on here ages ago too.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Probably me, actually. Car's mine, been there since I got out back in 2012. Glad to know it's around, because that means I can still come get it once my next semester bennies kick in.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Something tells me that avatar might be relevant...

Anyway the tires seemed dry-rotted, so be careful with it.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh, that thing's getting towed/shipped straight to a shop. Blew the water seals a few months after I bought it; doubt it would go much farther than the Duck under its own power.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Professor Bling posted:

doubt it would go much farther than the Duck under its own power.
So what you're saying is that it's perfect?

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Good thing there's a shop straight out the gate, down that street at the bottom of the hill. It's a decent place, had some work done there once. I don't remember the name, but it's across the street from a vet place. You may be able to roll in there in neutral most of the way.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

There's even one on post, the gas station near Bolio gate has a little car shop attached. I haven't used it, I've always gone to the one at Fort Ord.

edit: vv That's what the ropes said for the AF, so I guess it's kind of a quasi-official rumor, or something like that. AWN has been utter and complete poo poo for the past 2 weeks, I've been operating on roughly 80% down time but today I can actually load pages most of the time, don't know if that's related. Guess they had stuff shut down ready to pack up until they got word they'd be staying.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 20, 2014

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

So the rumor mill around the detachment is that the internet contract is being extended to something like September, which seems odd, because the new provider's contract was supposed to start in June...

As long as the internet stays on.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
I'm not Air Force so I can't don't know what's happening exactly, but apparently they lost almost half their ropes. Their command called an airman leader meeting and told them that if any of them had made any mistakes or let any mistakes slide by, to take off their ropes. The honest ones took off their ropes and had them taken from them. There was even a red rope who was only a red rope for a day. Kinda sucks for the ones that were actually good ropes I guess.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
Unless they actually wanted to lose 10 of their airmen leaders, saying "if you've ever broken one rule take off your rope" was a stupid thing to say. Anyone who didn't take it off is a drat liar.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I know a 314th green rope, gotta ask him what the hell happened, might see if I know anyone that got de-roped. I'm 311th and we lost two of the three green ropes in my class recently for unrelated stuff but that's probably just a coincidence.

edit: Reading through old posts in this thread, I'm surprised how much drug stuff there used to be here. I've heard of precisely zero drug incidents since I got here in May.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 8, 2014

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
Figured I should ask the Army folks in here: Anyone have information on submitting an airborne school packet as 35p? Like how long it takes to process and what the requirements are?

I graduate in July, pretty much I want to know is there any point in me trying to do this?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

popejackson posted:

Figured I should ask the Army folks in here: Anyone have information on submitting an airborne school packet as 35p? Like how long it takes to process and what the requirements are?

I graduate in July, pretty much I want to know is there any point in me trying to do this?

Submit it now, and hell yes it's worth trying. Just don't count on it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, you can totally do airborne as a 35p. There was even a re-enlistment bonus a while back (maybe still current) for airborne 35p's.

The requirements for you are the same as everyone else, just google example airborne packet and that should be enough, but you've gotta run it through your chain anyway so you might as well start there.

Keep in mind you may end up with some lovely, lovely assignments getting attached to super hooah gay wad units. Or there may be some good ones too, I dunno. So you might wanna check that too

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I've been out for a long time (20+ years) is 313th MI still around? They had crypto slots.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

popejackson posted:

What language are you? This is going to be your biggest factor at play here, aka, if you don't know French, Arabic or Indonesian (I think) it's going to be a lot harder.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
It really just depends if they have slots open. As far as I remember, the only requirements are that you are good on HT/WT and have a PT score of (I think) 240+. Get with your PSG/orderly room and they just have to submit a packet that consists of a 4187, APFT, memo from your commander saying you're good, and a memo from you saying you volunteer for the additional training. Definitely doable before July.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks for the advice. I am studying Arabic btw.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

popejackson posted:

Thanks for the advice. I am studying Arabic btw.
Then you should be fine to try and get a slot, you bastards get SOT-A slots just for being in Arabic.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Silvance posted:

I'm not Air Force so I can't don't know what's happening exactly, but apparently they lost almost half their ropes. Their command called an airman leader meeting and told them that if any of them had made any mistakes or let any mistakes slide by, to take off their ropes. The honest ones took off their ropes and had them taken from them. There was even a red rope who was only a red rope for a day. Kinda sucks for the ones that were actually good ropes I guess.

This is the greatest thing ever. :allears:

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
For those who have taken the ICPT 301 and 302 in Arabic...do you feel these tests are an accurate predictor of performance on the DLPT? Some teacher told me in the past that the 301 is most similar to the DLPT, which I hope is true because I just got my grades today and they were decent.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America

popejackson posted:

For those who have taken the ICPT 301 and 302 in Arabic...do you feel these tests are an accurate predictor of performance on the DLPT? Some teacher told me in the past that the 301 is most similar to the DLPT, which I hope is true because I just got my grades today and they were decent.

I got b minuses on both listening and reading for 301 and 302 and got 2+/2+ on the Levantine DLPT. I thought 301 was harder than 302...but I felt lost on that MSA reading DLPT. Holy poo poo...when you're on passage 4 and second guessing your answers, its not a good start.

Are you in a dialect course? Our teachers all said the same thing about the ICPTs

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013

Buff Tannen posted:

I got b minuses on both listening and reading for 301 and 302 and got 2+/2+ on the Levantine DLPT. I thought 301 was harder than 302...but I felt lost on that MSA reading DLPT. Holy poo poo...when you're on passage 4 and second guessing your answers, its not a good start.

Are you in a dialect course? Our teachers all said the same thing about the ICPTs

I'm taking MSA.

For anyone who might know: is it true that Army linguists assigned to Fort Gordon don't deploy? If true that's a real bummer.

popejackson fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 9, 2014

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
California University (of Pennsylvania?!) is offering a B.A. in Arabic through online classes. After DLI credits transfer over its 30 more credit hours (or $7500 bucks). For someone with a degree already it doesn't seem worth it. For those without one it's not a bad deal, especially if you can get tuition assistance.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I love how nobody posted about language day, what with us all getting let out of class and dodging high school kids all day long and poo poo. Clearly this is because we were too busy caring about languagey cultural poo poo to bother posting on a dumb forum to discuss the epic impact of such an event on our careers.

pick up the pace
Dec 7, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

I love how nobody posted about language day, what with us all getting let out of class and dodging high school kids all day long and poo poo. Clearly this is because we were too busy caring about languagey cultural poo poo to bother posting on a dumb forum to discuss the epic impact of such an event on our careers.

Personally I was too busy watching movies and waiting for a riot that was never going to happen. On the plus side I did learn how to properly beat people with a baton.

Daspied
Jul 2, 2009
So I took the DLAB awhile back and scored a whopping 50- gently caress that test. Did any one study for it, or dose the normal person that goes through the school already know a language?

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Daspied posted:

So I took the DLAB awhile back and scored a whopping 50- gently caress that test. Did any one study for it, or dose the normal person that goes through the school already know a language?

Yeah most people that go through DLI know english pretty well. :v:

Just messing with you. In my farsi training group there was only a handful of folks that actually knew a second language. As far as the DLAB goes, just being really familiar with grammar structure and logic was enough.

mind is moving
Nov 7, 2009

popejackson posted:

The longest part of the process is getting your airborne physical done -- it's two parts and the appointments for the second part are usually booked a month and a half out. Other than that just make sure you have a recent APFT and talk to your platoon sgt about putting in a 4187. Orders usually come down quickly, especially if you're close to graduating.

It wouldn't hurt to give branch a call and see what assignments are open first. You have a pretty good chance of going to 3rd or 5th group as a SOT-A if you volunteer for airborne, but there's still a possibility you could end up at the 82nd or any other airborne BCT.

tbqh this is a pretty lovely time to try and start a career in tactical sigint, if you want to get anything out of the two years of training you put in as a 35P stay on the strategic side. Being airborne qualified isn't that cool.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Pyrosquirrel posted:

Personally I was too busy watching movies and waiting for a riot that was never going to happen. On the plus side I did learn how to properly beat people with a baton.

I was kind of jealous of the people that got to do riot training. I missed out on the search and rescue stuff because my language class started like two days before the end of the SAR course was going to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
After reading this thread for years I am finally at the mucky duck... But at 7pm so its kinda dull

• Locked thread