Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

THE BAR posted:

Are we talking bare-knuckle fisticuffs?

I'm talking like tai-chi looking poo poo while using the force to block stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
One of the masters in the old (rad as hell) Dark Horse Tales of the Jedi comics fought like that. His face was actually quadrupedal so using a weapon at all in our terms wasn't really a thing. The comics also had lots of Jedi/Sith weaponry in the form of various amulets, gauntlets, meditation pod things like what Vader is in in Empre and such that someone not has powerful as Palpatine or Dooku could use to focus and do stuff like shoot energy blasts, project force fields, etc. all with the force.

Anyways this gnarled quadrupedal dude looked kind of sloppy on the surface but in all the action scenes he had this very agile panther thing going on where he was slinking around everywhere so that he'd be standing right in front of you and you just couldn't hit him. You actually hitting him in anger would result in you bouncing off him and being seriously injured. His head would nod at a point and anyone standing near it would get blown away, etc. The idea of someone like Luke just walking up to someone and them just not having the finesse to each touch him would own and, true to Star Wars' pulpy roots would play into the old master routine seen in countless serials and Kung Fu flicks and such. I'd be fine seeing Luke not use a saber sparingly.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 10, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

teagone posted:

I'm talking like tai-chi looking poo poo while using the force to block stuff.

So you want Luke to be Neo?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I think the effects team could easily handle it in such a way that it wouldn't really evoke how they portrayed superhuman agility in the Matrix movies with the revolving cameras and after images and such.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I would hope Luke remembers what happened at the end of Jedi and doesn't fight anyone at all any more.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Zombie Tsunami posted:

Do you think they'll blow up a planet in the new three? I'm wagering no, very un-Disney. Subquestion, how many times would we hear it compared to loving 9/11?

Blowing up a planet isn't any worse than what some of the Marvel movies do and those are produced under Disney too, so I don't think that really matters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, worrying about Disney "kidifying" Star Wars is pretty unfounded after seeing how they've handled Marvel. While none of the Marvel movies are particularly dark, they aren't watered down kiddie fare either.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I actually was a little surprised at how intense Captain America 2 felt at times. I'm sure we'll see a similar level of violence plus lightsaber decapitation at some point.

sassassin posted:

I would hope Luke remembers what happened at the end of Jedi and doesn't fight anyone at all any more.

While this would absolutely be preferable to me there's no way they will have this happen in a new Star Wars movie where they got the old cast back so I'm just hoping for a best case scenario where he's untouchable or otherwise beyond needing a weapon and fancy moves.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 10, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Disney has a good history of making "serious" or "adult" genre films: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Black Hole, the Tron films, the Pirates films, John Carter, the Marvel films, and others I've surely forgotten.

As for Luke fighting, I hope we don't see him fight or do all that much at all. I want to see the original cast pass the torch and be mentors or expositors at most. Somewhat related, I hope the saber duels look more like Luke and Vader's visceral and personal battles than the wuxia light shows of the prequels. I have nothing against wuxia or the prequel fights, but they don't have the impact and narrative weight of the fights from Empire and Jedi.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

Good points. Hopefully it's Naboo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quasipox posted:

So Amazon currently has both sets of the episodes for 47% off right now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=pe_218170_117918550_pe_button/?rh=i%3Amovies-tv&hidden-keywords=B00E9PMML2%7CB00E9PMMX0

As someone who already has the original trilogy on DVD (but not the prequels), is it worth the upgrade? I know there were yet more alterations, but I have a serious itch to see the whole shebang again and was curious where goon opinion has fallen on the BRs.

Wandle Cax posted:

It's probably worth it for the sound quality alone, which is absolutely sensational on all the films. The new alterations are trivial and should bother only the most miserable of purist nerds.
Well count me in as a miserable purist nerd then because I could deal with a couple of them, but that loving song and dance number in Jabba's palace that was added into RotJ (Jedi Rocks) is a sin against humanity and I refuse to buy the original trilogy when poo poo like that and a shot of Coruscant with Jar-Jar exclaiming "WEESA FREEEEEEE! :haw: " during the celebration at the end of RotJ have been added in.

I've rented these Blu-Rays and they do look and sound incredible, aside from all the terrible CGI bullshit that was added in and all sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the scenes, and I would buy them in a heartbeat if they were the original theatrical versions, but they're the "George Lucas pissed on my childhood" versions so no thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That's not a new alteration, it's from a previous edition.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

computer parts posted:

That's not a new alteration, it's from a previous edition.
That doesn't make it any less terrible, though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

"George Lucas pissed on my childhood" versions so no thanks.

I know this is going to seem par for the course coming from me, but I truly and sincerly mean it when I say...shut the gently caress up, dude.

Lucas didn't piss on your childhood, or poo poo on it, or rape it, or any other form of scatelogical or edgy humor you deem funny. He made changes to a movie. Changes that, if you work hard enough, you can easily avoid. So sit the gently caress down and think about how stupid it is to judge your entire childhood on some goddamn space movies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wandle Cax posted:

It's probably worth it for the sound quality alone, which is absolutely sensational on all the films. The new alterations are trivial and should bother only the most miserable of purist nerds.

Now that we've established all this stuff about the Gungans, it's worth pointing out one of best Special Edition changes:

In the victory montage at the end of Return of the Jedi, there's a shot of Naboo's european cityscape. In the corner, off to the side, a gungan shouts "weesa free!"

Darth Vader died for that Gungan.

That's something we should never forget.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I know this is going to seem par for the course coming from me, but I truly and sincerly mean it when I say...shut the gently caress up, dude.

Lucas didn't piss on your childhood, or poo poo on it, or rape it, or any other form of scatelogical or edgy humor you deem funny. He made changes to a movie. Changes that, if you work hard enough, you can easily avoid. So sit the gently caress down and think about how stupid it is to judge your entire childhood on some goddamn space movies.
Dude, learn to take a joke :v:

All I'm saying is I can't get behind those changes and I'm not gonna buy these versions of the movies since those changes are still there, and if you feel the same way, you won't want to buy this release either.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Lucas didn't piss on your childhood, or poo poo on it, or rape it, or any other form of scatelogical or edgy humor you deem funny. He made changes to a movie. Changes that, if you work hard enough, you can easily avoid.
Avoid them how?

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Yaws posted:

Avoid them how?

Make a fan-edit, duh.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sorry but you can't avoid Obi Wan's sexy scream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxuDU8gims

Still my favorite change.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think what annoys me the most about the Blu-Ray changes is that there were a lot better things that could have been worked on. Fix the lightsaber color issues? Remove the matte lines and boxes around ships during the space battles? Nope, let's change Obi-Wan's scream and make Ewoks blink.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Dude, learn to take a joke :v:

All I'm saying is I can't get behind those changes and I'm not gonna buy these versions of the movies since those changes are still there, and if you feel the same way, you won't want to buy this release either.

However if you are a grown adult who wants to watch the classic Star Wars series of films in the highest quality available and you can get past a few silly moments in the films you will happily buy the blu-ray set. Seriously you've had since 1997 to come to terms with the Jedi Rocks song. It's dumb but it doesn't ruin the movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wandle Cax posted:

However if you are a grown adult who wants to watch the classic Star Wars series of films in the highest quality available and you can get past a few silly moments in the films you will happily buy the blu-ray set. Seriously you've had since 1997 to come to terms with the Jedi Rocks song. It's dumb but it doesn't ruin the movie.
So just because it's been around since '97 that means I have to like a lovely scene that's incredibly out of place and wasn't in the original movie?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsipO_x3naA

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wandle Cax posted:

You are required to like because of subtext

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm holding out for a theatrical cut of the OT to release when Star Wars VI comes out. If not, then I'll wait for VIII. If not then, IX. If that doesn't happen, the all hope is truly lost. Until probable X twenty years later.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

hhhat posted:

The prequels made Leia and Luke's conversation in Jedi so bizarre. First off, Luke's asking her about her real mother because he wants to know about his real mother, right? But, she dies literally right after giving birth. So how would Leia know anything about her mom? The line's something like, "just images really. She was sad... always sad..." - right. So you knew all that from the womb or something? Well sure, you're force sensitive, so obviously as a fetus you knew your mom was upset about her relationship with a psychotic child murderer or her secret marriage, I guess. But then if that's the case, why is your twin brother who's better with the force than you bothering to ask, he was there too.

This never came across as a contradiction to me. I always just assumed she was referring to someone she thought was her real mother. Bail Organa's first wife, essentially. It seemed like she thought Bail was her real father.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gianthogweed posted:

This never came across as a contradiction to me. I always just assumed she was referring to someone she thought was her real mother. Bail Organa's first wife, essentially. It seemed like she thought Bail was her real father.

No, because when Luke asks her, he specifically says "do you remember your mother, your real mother?" And Leia responds she remembers vague bits. The obvious inference is he's referring to her adoptive mother, and Leia answers appropriately. If she was really referring to her adoptive mother that would have meant her adoptive mom died when Leia was very young, so that'd be a weird coincidence. The scene implies that Luke asked her, with out her ever saying she was not actually raised by her real mother because he knew she was his sister and that they both had adoptive parents without her having told him.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Yaws posted:

Avoid them how?

One of the DVD sets came with the OT without SE additions on the b-side disc. People complain that it's terrible quality but actually it's a direct rip from the fairly excellent laserdiscs that came out before the Special Editions.

Yeah it also comes with discs for the Special Edition, but if you have the OT, you can use those as coasters or frisbee or some poo poo. Or you can be like me and own an old rear end VHS set of the OT before the Special Editions and still have a VHS player kickin' around.

Avoiding them can be done.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SirDrone posted:

Is there some sort of rule for Jedi to always use sabers?

In the upcoming Rebels series, one of the main characters is a Jedi knight in hiding, mourning the extermination of his way of life. He keeps his lightsaber locked up in a box as a keepsake / for emergencies, while fighting with a blaster.

Laser swords are cool, though, especially when you've got characters whose superpowers explicitly include being skilled enough to use them safely.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

In the upcoming Rebels series, one of the main characters is a Jedi knight in hiding, mourning the extermination of his way of life. He keeps his lightsaber locked up in a box as a keepsake / for emergencies, while fighting with a blaster.

Laser swords are cool, though, especially when you've got characters whose superpowers explicitly include being skilled enough to use them safely.

Plus they can deflect blaster bolts, which is a huge advantage because it turns your enemy's weapon into your weapon.

People in Star Warsland always seem to forget that Jedi can send their blasters right back at them. If the clone wars had been fought with bullets instead of blasters, the dorids still would have lost because Clones>Droids, but there'd be less Jedi to worry about.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIefj6dOhnM

In this Lucas says that the jedi use laser swords because they are mostly a defensive weapon and deflecting blaster bolts is the epitome of the jedi's ideal of combat. But basically they just look cool.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Not quite. I don't want him to distinctly look like he's a some kind of martial artist. Something like when Vader reflected Han's blaster shots in ESB. Basically an effortless use of the force to deflect incoming attacks, even from a lightsaber. Kind of like this short bit from a TOR cinematic: youtube.com/watch?v=z0RuR3FREFw&feature=youtu.be&t=3m32s except Luke wouldn't exert himself as much.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really like the old Ewok song but I also like the new Ewok song and that's my take on the special editions.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Clearly Luke should "fight" like the landlord's husband in Kung Fu Hustle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1shLMk3vN5o&t=183s

Alec Eiffel posted:

I really like the old Ewok song but I also like the new Ewok song and that's my take on the special editions.

Give me Yub Nub or give me death.

Really though, both songs are pretty drat cheesy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yub Nub always distracted me as a kid because it sounded a lot like the Sesame Street theme.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

wyoming posted:

Clearly Luke should "fight" like the landlord's husband in Kung Fu Hustle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1shLMk3vN5o&t=183s

Give me Yub Nub or give me death.

Really though, both songs are pretty drat cheesy.

Yeah but both of them are sort of weird. I don't think either of them sounds like a song a jungle tribe would sing. Yub tub is simpler though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This will always be my favorite fan edit of that scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnRbIglocWc :nws: for audio

Cracks me the gently caress up every time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

One of the DVD sets came with the OT without SE additions on the b-side disc. People complain that it's terrible quality but actually it's a direct rip from the fairly excellent laserdiscs that came out before the Special Editions.

Yeah it also comes with discs for the Special Edition, but if you have the OT, you can use those as coasters or frisbee or some poo poo. Or you can be like me and own an old rear end VHS set of the OT before the Special Editions and still have a VHS player kickin' around.

Avoiding them can be done.

So all I have to do now is invent a time machine and go back to when those DVD sets were still sold in stores. It could be done, I guess.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm no "raped my childhood" purist and I've got the current bluray set and I'm happy with it, but I do wish they'd release a 12-disc "definitive edition" of the original trilogy that had like 3 versions of each movie (original theatrical, pre-1997 THX enhanced, and Special Edition) with an exhaustive, "Alien Anthology"-caliber library of supplementals and whatnot. I'd gladly double-dip and re-buy the trilogy if they did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xenomrph posted:

I'm no "raped my childhood" purist and I've got the current bluray set and I'm happy with it, but I do wish they'd release a 12-disc "definitive edition" of the original trilogy that had like 3 versions of each movie (original theatrical, pre-1997 THX enhanced, and Special Edition) with an exhaustive, "Alien Anthology"-caliber library of supplementals and whatnot. I'd gladly double-dip and re-buy the trilogy if they did that.
I would sell my organs for a release like that.

• Locked thread