Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Yeah, I don't think anyone in this thread really minds your posting slipping into 'here's my fanfic' territory, considering it's a thread about a series of fanfics with mildly interesting gameplay attached to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Ah, well okay then. Long and short of things are that some long time ago, the Black History happened with all that entails, and the world is kind of a mess, but in a way that things are recovered enough for nobody to be all 'waaaugh we're in the apocalypse', more like, various places are recovered but there's lots of technological ruins everywhere.

Things that are definitely in it:

Turn A Gundam: Obviously. One deviation from it I was thinking of was the possibility of the Turn A finding various accessories from other Gundams: the 0 Raiser, the God Lander or the Destiny Silhouette, and could equip those to play more like said Gundams.

The Big O: Paradigm City would be the most advanced source of civilization and a location where multiple settings and concepts from other shows are folded into. The Megadeus wars are a big part of the Black History plot.

Basquash: Man I watched this show and was totally baffled that the clearly ruined setting was never explained. But like, a lot of elements from it fit into this type of plot - a big, catastrophic event that's seen more mythical in nature, a lack of a 'federation' entity where instead city-states are dotted everywhere, and of course, the whole Moon Race thing.

Giant Robo: The Giant Robo itself is another form of Megadeus, and Big Fire is, of course, being Big Fire and having a hand behind everything.

Tetsujin 28 (the 2004 remake specifically): Very entwined with Big O - Tetsujin was an early-model semi-autonomous Megadeus meant for mass production purposes, and all its stuff is centered on Paradigm.

Gad Guard: And the Gad stuff stems from Tetsujin, as an attempt during the Megadeus wars to create smaller-scale autonomous units that could be planted in obscure places and activated remotely. The setting fits with Big O quite a bit as well.

Rinne no Lagrange: Le Garite is a major power in distant space and one protagonist is a noble from it, and the vague catastrophe that the Voxes brought plays a role in the Black History.

Suisei no Gargantia: The Federation mentioned in that is folded into Le Garite, and the events of the first episode are the start of the noble guy's route, but unlike in the show, Le Garite actually finds out where that wormhole lead, which causes them to have a vested interest in Earth that they'd initially forgotten. Also I like the idea of Ledo being super game breaking in the beginning but only because his mech comes fully-upgraded and he's a formal soldier compared to the ragtag group you start with, and by the end of the game the Machine Caliber would be more like the glorified grunt unit it actually is.

Things that are uncertain:

Demonbane: Arkham City would fit into Paradigm well, and all the magic stuff would easily be along the lines of the lost technology running amok. Demonbane itself is either a Megadeus or what they were created to fight, the whole memetic 'demonbane gets so big the universe pops trying to hold it' would very much be something you'd want to stop.

Majestic Prince: Battleships are sorely lacking with this setup, so. The Star Rose wouldn't be there at first, of course, it would be an outpost ship of Le Garite as a fort against the Wulgaru on Earth. The MJP would make for a nice set of more standard real robot not-Gundams to have around, as pretty much everything else in this list is either super-robot-ey or otherwise somewhat unorthodox.

Nobunaga the Fool: It isn't finished yet, of course, but it could go well with this, unless the ending totally screws up the order of things to begin with. The Basquash thing where there's a link between the energies of the two planets would be a bit more expanded by this, and the Regalia would definitely serve well as lost microweapons of war. Also a battleship.

Space Runaway Ideon: Also also a battleship. The interstellar nature of the plot would have to be reeled back to Earth, but the Ideon could well be one of the things that triggered the big disastrous event, and the Buff Clan would be a natural attachment to the Wulgaru and their De Metrio vassal. You'd have to really work to get Ideon up to usefulness, it'd start out only able to really punch, and its component machines would actually be more regularly usable until late in the game after lots of actual usage of Ideon itself. Like, functionally speaking, every single attack beyond basic melee would be a secret for Ideon.

Simoun: Kind of an odd choice, yes. The setting lines up though, and Simulacrum could well be the city you base in when eventually Paradigm has to be fought against. Plus it infuses a lot of non-support female characters, along with another battleship! (look the Gargantia can't go into space and the Soleil would take a while to make sense being usable asdf)

Galilei Donna: the one I'm most open to dropping, mostly as it wouldn't impact things much. I like Adni Moon showing the more, well, corporate side to the Paradigm Corp. and showing how their increasing influence screws over the little guys just trying to get by out in the wastes. I'd have to totally redo...well...everything about the overarching plot, pretty much, especially the time travel bit and the ending, but it's workable. Somehow I would tie in that whole thing to the reincarnation nonsense going on in Nobunaga. Plus the Galileo would be a neat combat supporter, the Dai-Guard of the game, if you will, but it's a ridiculous-looking fish airship instead. But hey there's proper giant robot enemies! One of which would maybe be a secret unit?

I am proving to be full of :words: u.u

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GimmickMan posted:

There's three levels to Neo Tokyo III basically: The city, NERV HQ below, and then Central Dogma. Between the city and HQ you have the plates that you see Ramiel digging through. Go down a series of shafts from within HQ and you reach the basement level with all Lilith, the Eva graveyard, and all that good stuff.

Also down in a central dogma: a boat, just chilling there in the ocean of blood.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Well hey, you added Rinne no Lagrange, so I like the idea. Seems a little low on Reals though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I like just listing the series I want together in a game and then figure out how to tie their plots together later. Or never, whatever! I make the best series choices after all.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Endorph posted:

Well hey, you added Rinne no Lagrange, so I like the idea. Seems a little low on Reals though.

I've super wanted Lagrange in an SRW, this seemed like the place to do it. Though it's a little odd because I basically have to go 'oh the rest of the world is kind of lovely and hard to live in but Kamogawa's a Tourism-focused city-state because it's in a place that managed to not get hit as hard by the calamity'. Still, the whole angle of 'the world ended once but that's way in the past' slots in nicely with Turn A and Gargantia.

And the issue with 'oh just use the shows I like' is that it always results in 'okay and GaoGaiGar and Gurren Lagann team up until GETTER EMPEROR appears and almost blows up the universe with Demonbane' and the cast lists always look like Alpha 3 and Z2 smushed together. Like the whole thing with Alpha 3 is that it's a super-huge climax to everything and lots of stuff is out in deep space, and Z2...admittedly feels to me a bit like 'all the hit shows of 2007-ish were popular, right? let's stuff them all in here', and makes the whole setup not as intriguing, though they do work well together on the whole basis of the protagonists being more revolutionary entities than straight-up heroes working for the man.

So I like to pick shows that serve well to an overarching unified narrative, like this one's 'world full of lost technology scavenged by populace and becoming of interest to distant advanced space federations', or another one that's just 'cosmic horror apocalypse times 5000'. I actually watched Macross Zero for that one (there'd be five or six scenarios in the beginning involving that, some 00 stuff, and the peeps from SKL) actually and it amused me how well it would work - the whole Birdman thing would basically play out with it going to Alien Dude HQ and going all 'nope these humans are super awful' and then come Zentradi, Angels, Gauna, Festum, ELS, the Blue, the STMC, the Invaders, and god knows what else, and you get to watch Second Impact first-hand, only even worse. Alongside Third Impact! And Fourth Impact! And by then the plot is 'let's make sure we don't end up watching Fifth Impact' because by then, Diebuster's plot of using the Earth as a giant missile is sounding pretty sensible when maybe five organisms are alive there.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Some SRWs feel like they tried to cram a bunch of series that don't have a lot of common ground together, yes. On the other hand, doing that also makes the world feel like a more diverse place, which worked really well in Z1's case.

Then there's route splits. Z2.1's first half made great use of them splitting up the party into the public face of ZEXIS and the gray moral area freedom fighter half of your group. By the endgame they were all tied together pretty well thematically and it felt like a pretty natural development, showing that even radically different shows can build a coherent plot together.

My point is that I think the "throw a bunch of stuff together" approach can yield more satisfying results than a tightly themed cast would because of the larger scope. I do agree with the principle of cherry picking stuff that works well together, but you also have to try and please the fans who would throw a fit when there is no 70's representative in your game, and given what the writers have to work with the result is surprisingly lucid.

edit: Also you can have a lot of series that theoretically fit together like pieces of a puzzle and end up with a story that fails to deliver on expectations altogether. Ideas are nothing without a good execution. I'm looking at you, Compact 3.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 10, 2014

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
it's been years, and the ending of big o still makes no loving sense to me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also series that don't fit together can lead to really fun situations which you wouldn't think about when trying to make everything mesh.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Anyway, like a certain other bad anime sequel in Z2-2, I see this is wrapping up Evol's plot with a big stupid info dump while playing a really dumb version of the old Aquarion theme in the background.

I would just like to point out that this happens in the anime and Banpresto is just staying true to the plot of the show.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Nirvash is far and away the best. From there it's a little more arguable.

What are the earliest map attacks you have access to on Rand's route?

im asking this because i want another Nadesico J situation :v:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Race Realists posted:

What are the earliest map attacks you have access to on Rand's route?

im asking this because i want another Nadesico J situation :v:

The Iron Gear's Potan Cannon is the first you get in Rand's path.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
There aren't a lot of non-battleship units with MAP attacks in Z1, I've noticed, which is kind of interesting. Off the top of my head there's Nirvash, Turn A, Setsuko's upgraded original and Xine's unit (and she's like last mission only so you might as well scratch that out)

Meanwhile most of the attacking battleships have MAPs. Man I wish OGs was set up like that.

KoB
May 1, 2009
At the end of Z3 do they address Nia at all? Is she still dying or do they just ignore it?

Just finished my second run getting all the SR point and got the 30,000,000 cash trophy on the last stage :v:

Now just have to fill out the scenario chart to clear it completely.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The 2nd best MAPer in Z1 is probably Loran with Moonlight Butterfly, because he can instant-morale himself (also Moonlight Butterfly is bonkers).

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Davzz posted:

There aren't a lot of non-battleship units with MAP attacks in Z1, I've noticed, which is kind of interesting. Off the top of my head there's Nirvash, Turn A, Setsuko's upgraded original and Xine's unit (and she's like last mission only so you might as well scratch that out)

Don't forget the Strike Freedom, both Gundam Xs and Big O.

Do the Hyaku Shiki and Legend Gundam have a MAP version for their Mega Bazooka Launcher and DRAGOON attacks? Can't remember...

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Brunom1 posted:

Do the Hyaku Shiki and Legend Gundam have a MAP version for their Mega Bazooka Launcher and DRAGOON attacks? Can't remember...
Don't know about Legend, but I'm pretty sure HS doesn't. He would be a lot better otherwise if he did.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Brunom1 posted:

The Iron Gear's Potan Cannon is the first you get in Rand's path.

Is there anyplace I can go to find Spirit lists for the characters?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

At the end of Z3 do they address Nia at all? Is she still dying or do they just ignore it?

Just finished my second run getting all the SR point and got the 30,000,000 cash trophy on the last stage :v:

Not even Lord Genome dies at the end of Z3 and the plot ends on a big ol' cliffhanger. Genome'll probably die to reform TTGL in the next game's ending and I doubt Nia'll die with him.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

KoB posted:

As I remember it, Lordgenome said that she would no longer live forever, and she said that's fine, she'll just live with Simon as long as she can just like every other living thing. Basically she's Arwen now.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Not even Lord Genome dies at the end of Z3 and the plot ends on a big ol' cliffhanger. Genome'll probably die to reform TTGL in the next game's ending and I doubt Nia'll die with him.

Whatever happens I just really hope that a regular Solvernia is playable, doesn't even need to be Tengen Toppa, I just really want a playable Nia.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
~stage 50 spoilers

Someone: "If Sheryl and Ranka get turned into men, there's no way they'll be able to sing!"

Dude...Basara is standing RIGHT THERE.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

~stage 50 spoilers

Someone: "If Sheryl and Ranka get turned into men, there's no way they'll be able to sing!"

Dude...Basara is standing RIGHT THERE.

Basara is many things but moe he is not.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Basara is many things but moe he is not.
Great...only MOE singing can save the world?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Great...only MOE singing can save the world?

It's Japan so of course.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm actually wondering if the final battle of Z3.2 is going to be anything like Alpha 3 where Basara, Ranka, Sheryl, and co. play the theme song for the game throughout every fight. If it wasn't obvious from my other posts in this thread I tend to go a little nuts for music stuff like that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
There's no way the final battle won't have every single Sphere holder at once. Even the dead ones.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Considering the size of the cast, I'm wondering if the final battle'll have something ridiculous like 30 deployable units, or if it'll be 20 and they'll float you the 7 or 8 OG units that'll be forced deployments.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TARDISman posted:

Considering the size of the cast, I'm wondering if the final battle'll have something ridiculous like 30 deployable units, or if it'll be 20 and they'll float you the 7 or 8 OG units that'll be forced deployments.

The Sphere-users will just combine into a twelve or more-man unit, Zodiac.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Prism posted:

The important thing is who forms what. Because if Xine isn't the crotch I will be immensely disappointed.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Prism posted:

oh my god that's what the Z in SRW Z stands for

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I love seeing people figure this out. It never fails to blow someone's mind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TARDISman posted:

Considering the size of the cast, I'm wondering if the final battle'll have something ridiculous like 30 deployable units
Didn't the final battle of Z2.2 already have that many?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Broken Loose posted:

:aaa: How did I never notice this.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Related to that the Evol in Aquarion Evol is just love spelled backwards. In the final episode of the show EVOL shows up on the screen and flips around to LOVE. This blew my mind.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Holy poo poo! I can see the world for what it truly is!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I always thought that the final team name in Z3 would be ZODIAC after ZEUTH and ZEXIS. Of course they spoiled my nice prediction with Z-BLUE instead.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 11, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trying to guess the name of a SRW team is impossible because none of them make any sense.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I like how one of the names the random team name generator spits up is ZEUXIS though. I actually ended up using that one because, seriously, Z-BLUE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope they bring back enough of the shows that weren't in this one that we get a whole new team name.

• Locked thread