Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

In preparation of picking up Kristen Britain's new book "Mirror Sight", which is the 5th book of the Green Rider series, I'm rereading the previous four books. The first in the series, titled "Green Rider", was an enjoyable read. Although there are a couple parts in the book that tend to drag due to the lore exposition, it does help with the buildup and eventual payoff with the myriad of subplots that occur in the book. With the focus of the story centering on growing into the role of a royal messenger that Karigan has been forced into, Britain does a really nice job showing the internal conflicts and fears she experiences while being pursued by unknown assailants. I really also like how magic isn't treated as an everyday established "thing", but feared as a great unknown that has to be rediscovered, else the kingdom falls to a great threat that still remembers its secrets.

Also, there's horses. Lots of focus on the horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver): Beautiful language/wording and eloquent descriptions of people of the former Belgian Congo. I learned some things about politics that had never crossed my mind, though I have read and loved King Leopold's Ghost. Every character not named Orleanna Price? One dimensional as hell.

The descriptions of Kilanga and the interludes of Orleanna are the highlights. The voice she gives Orleanna is soul stirring on her questioning of her marriage, religion and experiences in the Congo. But those nearly totally disappear in the back third. Leah is given some dimension but she is so pure in everything she does. And poor Rachel is reduced to a cartoon.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun is narrated entirely by the torturer Severian. It's very, very good but complex and cryptic, to the point that it's sortof the Ulysses of genre fantasy.

Except that it's sf :colbert:

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
"Silence of the Lambs" was literally one of the best books I've ever read. And I've read a lot. A LOT. Holy poo poo it blew my mind. If you've seen the movie, do yourself a favor and read the book because it's a dozen times better and the movies is fantastic. Everything about it is revolutionary for the thriller genre. I'm not much of a crime novel fan- hell, this is one of the first crime novels I've read- but it was so well done that I might just have to seek out some more.

I hope I'm not mad and that someone else agrees with me.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 11, 2014

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Closing Time by Joseph Heller. I was putting this one off forever because I was worried that a sequel could never come close to matching the genius of Catch-22. Turns out I was right to be worried :(

For as much as I loved Heller's first book, Closing Time just seemed like a disappointing coda for all his beloved characters. The humor wasn't as biting this time around and it seemed to be drawn out of world-weariness rather than biting absurdism.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Captain Mog posted:

"Silence of the Lambs" was literally one of the best books I've ever read. And I've read a lot. A LOT. Holy poo poo it blew my mind. If you've seen the movie, do yourself a favor and read the book because it's a dozen times better and the movies is fantastic. Everything about it is revolutionary for the thriller genre. I'm not much of a crime novel fan- hell, this is one of the first crime novels I've read- but it was so well done that I might just have to seek out some more.

I hope I'm not mad and that someone else agrees with me.
I read this for the first time myself just a year or so ago and I agree completely. It's just completely riveting from the beginning. Make sure you check out Red Dragon if you haven't already, it's the prequel and is just as good. I haven't read any more of Thomas Harris' books yet, but I definitely want to. I always wait for sales or gift cards before picking up anything.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
Just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I thought it was a fun read: the vast array of references to 1980s pop culture was pretty cool, even for someone who was only born in the late '80s, and the plot moved along well. It wasn't anything earth-shattering, but definitely a recommended read for anyone who likes classic sci-fi and video games.

Leeroy
Mar 18, 2014
Picked up Achtung Panzer! a few weeks ago in a bookshop, and seeing as I had a substantial train journey yesterday into London, I figured I'd take this book along with me, including the obligatory lovely overpriced Ipod, a similarly lovely smartphone and a laptop barely capable of running excel, let alone Star Citizen.

I've been meaning to get this book for a while, but I don't know, it's always evaded me for whatever reason. I don't tend to buy books online. It's a heavy read, and at times can be hard to grasp, but Guderian by all accounts seems to be a rather forward thinking chap with some ethics about him, along the same line as Rommel, which spurred me onwards like a crazy cavalry horse to page 1 of Achtung.

Guderian was the chap responsible for the blitzkrieg doctrine, and he was a respected general in charge of multiple tank divisions in combat during WW2. he taught mechanised warfare principles in Germany between 1918 and 1939. He fought in WW1, and had first hand experience of the events he wrote about.

Achtung deals with analysing the performance of tanks and armoured vehicles in WW1, through to 1937, which is when the work was published in Germany. He dissects trench warfare and then examines in depth the impact tanks had on the operational level. What's brilliant about the book is that Guderian is unbiased and clinically analyses the German mistakes in addition to the allies. The conclusions he draws from WW1 led Guderian to revolutionise tactical and operational doctrines and build up a mechanised army capable of wreaking untold havoc from 1939 onwards, up until the fall of Germany in the mid forties. Guderian put into practice his concepts in this book in WW2 to fantastic effect. He led armoured divisions into France, Poland and later, Russia. I think it's worth pointing out here that I don't think Guderian was terribly happy about the notion of sticking a spear into Russia's side, but we'll come to that later.

This isn't a book full of stories, but as accurate and clincal an account as possible. Individual battles such as Ypres,Soissons and Cambrai are relayed to the reader from both sides of the fence, in as much as the author could empathise and understand the opponents he faced. Guderian acknowledged and praised many of his counterparts in the west for their successes, but also mocked them ruefully for their failures.

I still find it hard to grasp that the allies in WW1 were still prancing around on horseback cavalry, but it's painfully apparent that back then, new weapons systems were not enough to budge the stubborn nature of rigid command structures bogged down by old guard thinking.

Guderian acknowledges that both sides needlessly wasted life for small territorial gains repeatedly. One thing that struck me was how Britain and France could both have ended WW1 before 1918 if they'd only used the new armored vehicles en-masse across a wide frontage in force with mechanised infantry support, and less of the carpet artillery barrages, which actually hindered a lot of tanks back then. Tanks at the time were relying on infantry to keep pace in order to exploit the gains the tanks made, and the british high command was favouring obsolete doctrines such as horseback cavalry, which tended to end up being mown down by sharpshooters, machine guns and ungodly amounts of artillery.

It's not hard to view the allied high commands as being dumbasses when it comes to appreciating the potential of new weapons on the battlefield. That's totally what we did with the tank in WW1. We bound tanks to ground infantry. In a convoy, you're only as fast as your slowest member. The British did eventually work out the issues to some extent, but just look at how the Germans roflstomped all over the British Expeditionary Force in WW2. Guderian argued that in order for tanks to be effective at the operational level, they had to be supported by fast armored infantry and mobile artillery, alongside comprehensive anti-tank forces, and most importantly, close branch support between the army and luftwaffe. Whereas us brits, for example still had narrow minded divisions and branches with little co-operation or communication in close support until WW2, and even then the fierce competition and suspicion between armed forces branches in the UK was still present.

So back to Russia. Guderian wrote in 1937;

"Russia possesses the strongest army in the world, numerically and in terms of the modernity of it's weapons and equipment. The Russians have the world's largest air force as well, and they are striving to bring their navy up to the same level.

The transport system is still inadequate, but they are working hard in that direction also. Russia has ample raw materials, and a mighty armaments industry has been set up in the depths of that vast empire. The time has passed when the Russians had no instinct for technology: we will have to reckon on the Russians being able to master and build their own machines, and with the fact that such a transformation in the Russian's fundamental mentality confronts us with the eastern question in a form more serious than ever before in history"

Guderian blatantly didn't want to mess around with Russia. He opposed Barbarossa heavily, but was still ordered to lead the invasion. He also had some balls when it came to dealing with Hitler, but as it was with Hitler, he had his way pretty much right up until the end. Hitler messed with his doctrine after the french invasion by diluting the tank brigades, watering down the blitzkrieg capabilities of the divisions, and sacked him on numerous occasions after heated arguments. Hitler just didn't get it, but then he was in all probability bat poo poo insane by the time Barbarossa was on the table.

Ultimately he managed to survive the Russian offensive, and the invasion of Germany, only to be arrested by the allies in 1945 and later released in 1948. He wasn't prosecuted at the Hague, and was allowed to attend meetings with western counterparts to discuss battles, which was kind of cool. I'd liked to have met him.

I read elsewhere that he apparently accepted land from Hitler after Poland as a gift intended to sweeten the deal, which sours the image of a rather stellar chap somewhat, but I'll dig around and find out if he ever made use of that land, or if it was handed back to the people the Germans evicted out of there.

Excellent book, a snapshot of history and a portent of what was to come. 10/10

Leeroy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 12, 2014

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013
All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris
This is currently my favorite Sookie Stackhouse novel. This book has a love triangle between Quinn and Eric that is fraught with tensions and possibilities. It has a great character, Sophie-Ann Leclerq, vampire queen of Louisiana; who manages to both help and harm Sookie at different times. This book really starts grappling with the issues that surround Sookie's gift of telepathy and how it's discovery by the wider world threatens to dominate her life in unpleasant ways. In response to this threat, Sookie makes some hard choices and becomes a much darker character.

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
This book is really cute. Sophie is the eldest daughter of three and as such is fated to be failure. Yet, somehow despite the odds, she gets tangled up in the affairs of the wizard Howl, the Witch of the Waste and the King of Ingary. Along the way, there are talking dogs, enchanted walking sticks and motivated scarecrows. It's a bit too old for my 4-6 year olds as they couldn't follow the thread of the story over so many days (and too scary at one point) but maybe in another year or so we'll try again.

faburizu
Nov 12, 2013
I just finished The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyeme.

This novel is essentially the reworking of the doppleganger myth. It definitely qualifies as 'magical realism'. It's about an eight year old girl with obvious behavioral problems who has tantrums often and finds herself largely without friends. While on vacation in Nigeria, away from her home in England, she meets a girl that looks exactly like her, living in an extension of her grandfather's house in Nigeria. This girl appears to have magical powers, and is friendly enough... at first. The book pulls a lot from mythology/superstition and spirituality, so it would probably only appeal to those who find these aspects interesting in a novel. I thought it was fascinating, and at times haunting, and I am definitely going to be reading more of this author's work in the future (this was her first novel, and she has another one that was more recently released, which is as I understand it, a retelling of Snow White).

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I just finished The Emperor's Blades (1st book ofChronicle of the Unhewn Throne) by Brian Staveley.

It's a fantasy novel about three children who's father is the emperor of the realm. Each child is at a different corner of the world learning different skills when all of a sudden the Emporer dies. The chapters are from the three childrens point of view (similiar to A Song of Ice and Fire). I say children but they are all around 16-18. Anyway, it was a fantastic read. The story lines we're great from each point of view and I was constantly excited to read the next chapter. I definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy. Unfortunately, I keep starting trilogys where only the first book is out and get bummed that I have to wait for the next one. :argh:

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

RisqueBarber posted:

I just finished The Emperor's Blades (1st book ofChronicle of the Unhewn Throne) by Brian Staveley.

It's a fantasy novel about three children who's father is the emperor of the realm. Each child is at a different corner of the world learning different skills when all of a sudden the Emporer dies. The chapters are from the three childrens point of view (similiar to A Song of Ice and Fire). I say children but they are all around 16-18. Anyway, it was a fantastic read. The story lines we're great from each point of view and I was constantly excited to read the next chapter. I definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy. Unfortunately, I keep starting trilogys where only the first book is out and get bummed that I have to wait for the next one. :argh:

I really liked this book as well, though I feel like the sister's part is a little underwhelming until the very last few pages.

Some parts did annoy me though, I hate when it is always a small group vs the world type situation. The whole being chased by the Flea and army and everyone else is a bit much in my view. There should be some advantages in being the children of the emperor mainly that your military isn't out to kill you.

And I'm sure I will forget this story/plot details by the time the next one comes out.

If you like this, have you tried the lies of locke lamora ?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Ulysses.

I feel a real sense of accomplishment finishing this book. It took a long while, and I know my knowledge of Greek classics, catholic rituals and Irish culture isn't even close to the implied reader. But I finished it. This is a book I'll have to return to a few times down the way to fully grasp I think, but I can at least appreciate it as it stands. Calling James Joyce a wordsmith would be an understatement.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

State of Fear by Michael Crichton. A pretty good book and I really like how Crichton's books all have scientific references for things. Some of his books get really dumb with how over the top the technology is, but in this one it's pretty believable and just great overall.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

State of Fear by Michael Crichton. A pretty good book and I really like how Crichton's books all have scientific references for things. Some of his books get really dumb with how over the top the technology is, but in this one it's pretty believable and just great overall.

Isn't that the one where he essentially denies climate change?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Paragon8 posted:

Isn't that the one where he essentially denies climate change?

Yah, his stance on climate change in this book is not supported by any kind of reputable science.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

J4Gently posted:

I really liked this book as well, though I feel like the sister's part is a little underwhelming until the very last few pages.

Some parts did annoy me though, I hate when it is always a small group vs the world type situation. The whole being chased by the Flea and army and everyone else is a bit much in my view. There should be some advantages in being the children of the emperor mainly that your military isn't out to kill you.

And I'm sure I will forget this story/plot details by the time the next one comes out.

If you like this, have you tried the lies of locke lamora ?

Yeah, the sister was the worst part. I got the feeling she'll be more exciting in the next one. Also, we don't know if the Flea is chasing them yet! I can't remember his name and I'm at work but my favorite character was the highly trained monk at the end.

No I haven't read The Lies of Locke Lamora. I ordered it though so I'll read it after I finish The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle) by Miles Cameron

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I just finished Solaris by Stanislaw Lem and I enjoyed it, however I will say that I think a lot of the really technical stuff went over my head. Fortunately most of the technical nomenclature that I didn't get was mostly related to the strange movements and behavior of the ocean and not so much the main plot of the novel so I don't feel like I missed out on the really important parts of the story.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

homewrecker posted:

I just finished Solaris by Stanislaw Lem and I enjoyed it, however I will say that I think a lot of the really technical stuff went over my head. Fortunately most of the technical nomenclature that I didn't get was mostly related to the strange movements and behavior of the ocean and not so much the main plot of the novel so I don't feel like I missed out on the really important parts of the story.

I think the technical stuff was meant to go over your head. It's there to enforce just how goddamn unknowable the planet Solaris actually is, that no matter what approach you take to understanding it, through either scientific observation or emotional connection, any way is a path into madness, and that some things aren't meant to be known. We're mere specs of dust compared to its uncaring, unknowing mass of sentience.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Wow, I never thought of it that way but now that you point it out, it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for that, it actually makes me appreciate the novel more now.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
In The First Circle, by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn. Yes, that Solzhenitsyn, the one who wrote The Gulag Archipelago, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich and Two Hundred Years Together.

The story involves a multitude of characters that are listed for reference in the prologue; they are the prisoners and the guards of a special sharashka (gulag prison specializing in R&D).

The Sharashka prisoners are well-fed and work in relative comfort, yet it is still a gulag prison. If you know of the Divine Comedy, you know that the First Circle of hell is for the virtuously unbaptized, living in a near-paradise that is most certainly not heaven, hollow and empty...

Stuff does happen, but it's a slowly unfolding story. It's worth it, if Russian novels about gulags and human think pieces are your bag. This one is, like a lot (all?) books written by Solzhenitsyn, autobiographical. Has anyone ever written prison stories as powerfully as Solzhenitsyn? Plenty of social commentary from and on the Soviet intelligentsia class fills the novel's 700 pages.

I would say it is his greatest novel. Be sure to get the latest printing, as it includes 9 chapters missing from the original novel -- had to get past those censors, you see...

quote:

"And her heart, which because it was human refused to reconcile itself to something which could not be undone, began to invent fairy tales."

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Just finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. First Murakami book I've read and I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be reading more of his books in the future.

Started reading The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell yesterday, just because I wanted to read something with vikings in it and this seemed to be well-reviewed.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

AtrociousToaster posted:

Just finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. First Murakami book I've read and I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be reading more of his books in the future.

Started reading The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell yesterday, just because I wanted to read something with vikings in it and this seemed to be well-reviewed.

The Last Kingdom? Ooo, danish invasion of the Britons. Is it historical fiction or Arthur myth?

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

The Last Kingdom? Ooo, danish invasion of the Britons. Is it historical fiction or Arthur myth?

It's a historical fiction series. Told from the perspective of a guy who was captured as a child by the Danes during the invasion. I've only read a little of it, but I'm enjoying it so far.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

AtrociousToaster posted:

It's a historical fiction series. Told from the perspective of a guy who was captured as a child by the Danes during the invasion. I've only read a little of it, but I'm enjoying it so far.

King Cnut had a really good run. After conquering England, he extracted as much silver and gold from the population as he possibly could through those Danegeld/heregelds. The drama of his court makes for a good read -- really goes to show that humans haven't changed at all.

Was an interesting time to be Danish. Not so much to be an Angle/Saxon in Angleland, to be honest...

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howley
This was a fun, fast read. I'm not sure I'm up for the second two books in the series- I've heard some grumblings of bad characterization and a weak plot. Also, I thought the Romeo and Juliet epigraphs were a bit off the mark. Good light summer/airport reading.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
Oh man this was great. Tremendously insightful and funny and heartbreaking all at once. I really, really recommend it. Probably my favorite book I've read all year.

Kim by Ruyard Kipling
Beautifully written adventure story. (It also might be a children's novel? I'm not entirely sure.) It's my first foray into Kipling's novels and I really liked it. It didn't have the irritating imperialist voice that I would get from his poetry and scratched that adventure novel itch.

Swamplandia! by Karen Russell
The first 7/8 of the book read like an excellent magical realism novel- moody, lush, and her language is incredible. But then there's an awful event/climax with less than 100 pages left of the book, and practically no denouement and it just felt... weak and lazy.

I know it's probably terrible to call Ava's rape lazy or trite, but it was so out of place with the rest of the book. You could argue that the rape was a coming of age for both the protagonist and the readers, as it sharply changed the way you read the previous scenes (from magical realism to... pulp? I guess). But THEN the subsequent escape/rescue of the family asks the readers to believe in epic coincidence. After you try to switch your novel to be so harshly "realistic"? Lazy storytelling.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

taco show posted:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
Oh man this was great. Tremendously insightful and funny and heartbreaking all at once. I really, really recommend it. Probably my favorite book I've read all year.

Aw man I bought this 5 years ago, can't believe I haven't read it yet. It's definitely going in my next-10 pile now.

Homemaster
Nov 17, 2012

by XyloJW
The Forever War

How is this not a movie? It was written with expertise to science and military training, and yet it was gripping and never lost me. And I just thought that was a perfect ending.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The Girl Who Played With Fire (and the previous book The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo)

Holy poo poo Larsson is a gripping writer. I was kind of waffling on the first book, because all the Vanger family bullshit felt kind of tepid, but I kept reading it because the character of Lisbeth Salander somehow planted a hook in my brain and wouldn't stop tugging. And then Played With Fire is all about her and I sat down and read the entire thing today.

It is amazing to see how hosed up she is, and then go back and find out exactly why she is that way - and why she is completely justified in her beliefs. :stare:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I finished reading Slaughterhouse Five for the first time a while ago. The whole thing felt kind of confusing and in the end pointless, but since it's about World War 2 I feel that's kind of be the point of the entire thing. Also I still really, really love all of Vonnegut's word choices. He always has such lively wordplay going on in all of his stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Homemaster posted:

The Forever War

How is this not a movie? It was written with expertise to science and military training, and yet it was gripping and never lost me. And I just thought that was a perfect ending.

1) It would take a very long movie to get the point across.

2) Part of the story has a society where everyone is gay.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Got a few books here:

Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, and Daemonslayer by William King are all pretty fun fantasy novels. Not much to discuss here, the first book is a collection of short stories while the other two are full-fledged books. They were simple and easy to read and it turns out I have a soft spot for the Skaven. They were well done even if the second book felt like the author was just checking off the major factions to show them to the reader. The third book ended with a crummy cliffhanger, but I travel enough for work that I'll be picking up the rest eventually. At least the ones by King.

I also just finished Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. It was worth reading, but took a while to get going and the climax was too neat for me. I liked how the author handled the view point of an ancillary in the flashbacks. Unfortunately, the main plot dragged for quite a while as the chapters alternated between it and the past for the first half of the book. I liked the book more as it progressed, but the characters felt a little weak or even flat. This may be a side effect of the main character/narrator being what she is. I wasn't expecting the climax to ramp up as quickly as it did and one character just kind of dumped a whole bunch of exposition. The conflict felt too small-scale for what was at stake. However, the universe is well written and I'm definitely interested in seeing more by the author as this was only her first book.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.
The Audacity of Hops: The History of America's Craft Beer Revolution, Tom Acitelli (3/5): Good, if overly long. It traces the origins of companies like Anchor and Samuel Adams, as well as the evolving landscape of beer consumption and regulation from the 1970s to present. I got tired of reading the life story of every person who started a craft brewery, so I started skimming those bits. But the overall history was very interesting.

Requiem for a Dream, Hubert Selby (2/5): This was recommended as a great depiction of heroin addiction, but it's easily bested by more recent depictions of drug culture. The trajectory of the story was predictable; the title of the book pretty much gives it away. And that would be fine if the bulk of the book were an effective narrative of downfall. But Selby too often abandons to old advice to show, not tell.

The Dog Stars, Peter Heller (4/5): Best piece of fiction I've read in a couple years. It's a post-apocalyptic tale that takes place after a flu-like illness has wiped out most of the world. It's great because it starts several years after the illness and doesn't devote much time to that part of the story. It's all about examining what life looks like for survivors in that world. The overarching philosophical quandary was essentially "If everything you lived for is gone, what do you live for?" Many reviewers get stuck on the strange prose style, which is very fragmented. But it's how I imagine a person would think/speak after a decade of mostly talking to himself.

Wyatt fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 17, 2014

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

Homemaster posted:

The Forever War

This was a really good book, The practical impact of relativity in space war makes for an entertaining read. Definitely would have a lot of potential as a movie.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Forever War was very awesome. Loved the way it depicted space war.

But welp! I just finished the entire Amber Chronicles. Not sure why - a compulsion, I guess. Not very good, but not terrible either, I suppose. Bland genre fiction.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

ulvir posted:

I have no excuse for getting the facts this messed up.

e: double checked and my copy said the translator died before finishing it. Jesus christ, I better start reading books way before midnight. At least I recall the story of the book correctly, but drat.

I also just finished Blindness today. I'm curious if anybody knows roughly where the translator transition took place because I thought I noticed a style change during the RAPERAPERAPE part of the story but didn't realize it was translated by two different people.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Just finished Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Really did like the way the story was told; we're in the present day but the vast majority of the book is 'how we got to this point,' which while not the most original idea worked really well for the story. The book is about people in transit so-to-speak and those, not coincidentally, are its best parts. :v: It's very much rooted in Nigeria and the experiences of African and American blacks but I think anyone from an immigrant family or visibly 'other' can relate to some of the issues it brings up, like how imaginary constructs aren't so imaginary when they hold such sway over our lives.

I do wish we had gotten more hints of Kosi's real character; it peeks out a bit but I guess Obinze wouldn't have noticed even if she blared her thoughts from the rooftops. I also get the sense that there wasn't much distinction sometimes between Ifmelu-as-character and Ifmelu-speaking-with-Adichie's-voice if that makes sense. Obinze was much more clear as a character to me.

One other thing, while I'm rambling, that I did love, is how Ifmelu left, and went back, not because she needed to, but because she wanted to.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Just finished The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John le Carre and I loved it. I really enjoyed how the plot unfolded and I thought the ending was absolutely fantastic. The last few moments of Leamas climbing back down the wall to look at Liz; that paints such an incredibly beautiful image in my mind whenever I think about it.

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 23, 2014

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

homewrecker posted:

Just finished The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John le Carre and I loved it. I really enjoyed how the plot unfolded and I thought the ending was absolutely fantastic. The last few moments of Leamas climbing back down the wall to look at Liz; that paints such an incredibly beautiful image in my mind whenever I think about it..

I enjoy all of le Carre's George Smiley series, but I definitely think The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is the most sophisticated and gut-wrenching of his spy novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xertrez
Sep 3, 2013
Just reread Relic and Reliquary by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I also read some of their other books that were relative to the greater storyline.

Creepy as poo poo, every last one of these books of fiction.