Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

XboxPants posted:

It is if it's tying up talented people that could be doing something else that you might like. Yeah, It's totally selfish to ask for a show that other people are enjoying just because you wanna see Dan Harmor/Gillian Jacobs/etc working on something else, but there is, in fact, something to be potentially gained.

You're right. Alison Brie isn't working on Mad Men, Joel McHale doesn't have The Soup and whatever other E! shows he works on, Gillian Jacobs hasn't been in several movies during the shows run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think the season was good but they were being increasingly fenced in by cast departures and an ever dwindling budget. A sixth season would have been tricky.

That's certainly possible. I think if it had been renewed, though, the writers would have had the benefit of a much more stabilized environment. None of the other regulars were likely to leave, expectedly or unexpectedly. The budget probably would have shrunk even more, but the show has always managed to do amazing things on a shoestring budget anyway.

Anyway, someone at Entertainment Weekly actually posted something good for a change: "How the final season of 'Community' destroyed and rebuilt itself, over and over again: A visual analysis." The money quote, for me:

quote:

Troy and the absent Pierce; Troy and Old White Guy 2.0 Hickey; Troy and the late Pierce (and Walton Goggins); Hickey and Chang: The show carefully transitioned us into a new status quo, two beloved familiar faces replaced by a less-beloved familiar face and a new guy entirely. Community had to create a new Community, because the old one was leaving. It should have felt depressing, cut-rate, a show with a reduced budget and new actors pretending that nothing has changed: The X-Files after season 7. It definitely felt mournful: Pierce said farewell from beyond the grave, and Troy said farewell from atop his boat. I suppose there are some people who checked out of Community when that happened — when it became clear that the new Community would never be the old Community. To me, those episodes felt graceful. Parts of your life will end, but life always goes on.

So I'm bummed. I thought this show had more really good stories to tell. Maybe no more than another half-season, but still. I would like to have seen those episodes.:smith:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Majorian posted:

So I'm bummed. I thought this show had more really good stories to tell. Maybe no more than another half-season, but still. I would like to have seen those episodes.:smith:

Yeah, same here. I really liked season 5, and I would have loved another 13 episodes (and a movie).

Honestly though, my order for favourite seasons is not the popular opinion, because mine would be: 3-2-5-1---4

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I know John Oliver talked about how he was hoping to be in every episode of a supposed six season of Community between working on his new show.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

GreenNight posted:

I know John Oliver talked about how he was hoping to be in every episode of a supposed six season of Community between working on his new show.

I'd like to live in the timeline where John Oliver was in every season.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, same here. I really liked season 5, and I would have loved another 13 episodes (and a movie).

Honestly though, my order for favourite seasons is not the popular opinion, because mine would be: 3-2-5-1---4

I would maybe flip 1 and 5, but that's not a bad opinion.

There was a fourth season?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Jummy posted:

Turn on your tv and how many options are you presented with? Hundreds if not thousands. Streaming services are putting out more and more content every day. Keeping a show going isn't hurting any of that. If you don't like it, all you have to do is not watch. If a show not being the best show ever hurts your delicate sensibilities, I genuinely feel sorry for you.

But as I said, and maybe I should have tried explain this a little simpler, opinions are different for everyone. A show that's not interesting or relevant to you, is getting enjoyed by someone else right now. Interesting ideas are being thought up as we speak, if Community was given another 12 or 20 episodes, it's not going to kill those ideas.

If you only watch something because of a set of arbitrary guidelines, good for you. You are not everyone. People do things for different reasons. Most children eventually learn that fact, maybe it's your turn?

Hundreds if not thousands of shows that are complete and utter poo poo, with a few rare gems here and there. A show being poo poo doesn't hurt me, but it doesn't interest me either and I don't see the value in practices that lead to such a sorry state of affairs. You seem a little confused: I'm not upset, but I am somewhat amused by you throwing a tantrum about how people are reacting to the news of a TV show well past its prime getting canceled.

People do things for lots of reasons, that doesn't make the reasons valid or the things good. There's all sorts of compulsive hoarders, addicts, etc. who engage in pathological and unhealthy behaviour, but I don't feel the need to endorse that behaviour just because technically yeah everyone's got a right to live however the gently caress they want as long as they're not hurting others. Now, liking poo poo TV isn't exactly pathological, but the same principle applies. So sorry that the show you liked got canceled, but buddy there ain't poo poo you can do about it except accept it, move on and rationalize for yourself how it was actually for the best that things turned out this way.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Calico Heart posted:

Do goons have super-super short term memory? Like eight episodes in people kept saying how amazing the season was. After the last two (I agree lovely episodes, everyone is now saying this season was "barely better than four" and the like. Seriously, this season had some hiccups, but it gave us some great episodes.

Well everyone was saying "return to form" not "this is one of the best seasons ever," at least as far as I recall. And I think that's the issue. It's unrealistic but I think to some extent people were expecting season 5 to be much more amazing than it was. But then they started doing retreads of previously beloved gimmick episodes, and I think a lot of people realized that no matter how funny the new episodes were, this was how it was going to be moving forward. And some characters left and they added Hickey and Duncan, who fit well comedically, but not really emotionally. (Why is the old cranky guy having adventures with the group other than because they needed to replace the previous old cranky guy with a new one? You can't even get attached because you know Oliver and Banks aren't regulars.) So even if you're the type of person who tunes in just to spend a half an hour with your favorite TV characters, there's a big loss there because two of those characters might as well be dead and the remaining ones are spinning their wheels. They still have no idea what to do with Shirley or Chang, Jeff is humbled again.

The last episode, which is fresh in everyone's minds, certainly didn't help. Harmon needed to end with something either gimmicky and spectacular or heartfelt, and instead he teased that the show might go in a new direction before smirking and doing a 180 by going back to the Jeff+Annie well. So anyone who wants a season six knows what they are going to get. Which is fine for some people, but remember that at one time the only thing we knew about upcoming episodes was that we would be surprised week after week. That aspect is gone, which is why some are saying it's just as well for it to be canceled.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

emoticon posted:

Harmon needed to end with something either gimmicky and spectacular or heartfelt, and instead he teased that the show might go in a new direction before smirking and doing a 180 by going back to the Jeff+Annie well.

The show already gave its characters heartfelt finales in seasons 3 & 4. They didn't develop enough as characters to deserve another at the end of 5 unless you want sentimentality for the sake of sentimentality (which is stupid and something the show has NEVER done).

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

verybad posted:

Hundreds if not thousands of shows that are complete and utter poo poo, with a few rare gems here and there. A show being poo poo doesn't hurt me, but it doesn't interest me either and I don't see the value in practices that lead to such a sorry state of affairs. You seem a little confused: I'm not upset, but I am somewhat amused by you throwing a tantrum about how people are reacting to the news of a TV show well past its prime getting canceled.

People do things for lots of reasons, that doesn't make the reasons valid or the things good. There's all sorts of compulsive hoarders, addicts, etc. who engage in pathological and unhealthy behaviour, but I don't feel the need to endorse that behaviour just because technically yeah everyone's got a right to live however the gently caress they want as long as they're not hurting others. Now, liking poo poo TV isn't exactly pathological, but the same principle applies. So sorry that the show you liked got canceled, but buddy there ain't poo poo you can do about it except accept it, move on and rationalize for yourself how it was actually for the best that things turned out this way.

I neither said you were upset nor am I throwing a tantrum, but you do seem confused about something. I mean, if you think that there's that big a similarity between mental disorders and not seeing the harm in a television show continuing that people enjoy, I don't really see what point there is to having any further discussion.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

verybad posted:

Hundreds if not thousands of shows that are complete and utter poo poo, with a few rare gems here and there. A show being poo poo doesn't hurt me, but it doesn't interest me either and I don't see the value in practices that lead to such a sorry state of affairs.

You don't see the value in practices that lead to a show being poo poo in your opinion, but still loved by other people?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Jummy posted:

Turn on your tv and how many options are you presented with? Hundreds if not thousands. Streaming services are putting out more and more content every day. Keeping a show going isn't hurting any of that. If you don't like it, all you have to do is not watch. If a show not being the best show ever hurts your delicate sensibilities, I genuinely feel sorry for you.

But as I said, and maybe I should have tried explain this a little simpler, opinions are different for everyone. A show that's not interesting or relevant to you, is getting enjoyed by someone else right now. Interesting ideas are being thought up as we speak, if Community was given another 12 or 20 episodes, it's not going to kill those ideas.

If you only watch something because of a set of arbitrary guidelines, good for you. You are not everyone. People do things for different reasons. Most children eventually learn that fact, maybe it's your turn?
This is the most hilariously pissy reaction to the nutso idea that bad things should be cancelled.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Saint Drogo posted:

This is the most hilariously pissy reaction to the nutso idea that bad things should be cancelled.

Yes, pointing out that opinions are subjective and people enjoy different things. How pissy.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Pissy refers to the tone of the thing being said, not the substance. Even a perfectly reasonable statement can be pissy when expressed a certain way.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

The show already gave its characters heartfelt finales in seasons 3 & 4. They didn't develop enough as characters to deserve another at the end of 5 unless you want sentimentality for the sake of sentimentality (which is stupid and something the show has NEVER done).
And really, Pierce's funeral served as the "heartfelt finale" episode of the season. A retrospective on all the characters, a farewell to one and setting up a farewell for another, and a good mix of sentimentality and humor. Season 5's biggest failing is just not following up on everything it established in the first episode. It teased some major changes in the characters' lives, then never really followed through. It seems like it could have used more episodes to just let the characters breathe.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

FactsAreUseless posted:

And really, Pierce's funeral served as the "heartfelt finale" episode of the season. A retrospective on all the characters, a farewell to one and setting up a farewell for another, and a good mix of sentimentality and humor. Season 5's biggest failing is just not following up on everything it established in the first episode. It teased some major changes in the characters' lives, then never really followed through. It seems like it could have used more episodes to just let the characters breathe.

Yeah, that's about how I feel about it. There weren't any bad episodes, they were just kind of there for the most part. Enjoyable, but nothing special.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Irish Joe posted:

I mean "heartfelt," not "sentimental." Sincere, sincerity, true to the characters. Harmon set up a bunch of character poo poo in episode one and pretty much just forgot about it. I'm not even talking about a sappy series finale here. I'm saying "Hey everyone's a failure at real life and we have to band together to save Greendale... oh wait there's a millionaire deus ex machina in the basement, gently caress it, let's have a dance party!" is poor ending to the season, narratively and thematically. What happened to the story circle? Returning to the themes you set up earlier with the characters having changed? Season 1: love quadrilateral, finale revisit love quadrilateral. Season 2: Pierce is an rear end in a top hat, finale revisits Pierce being an rear end in a top hat. Season 3: Troy may have to leave the group to go to air conditioning school, finale resolves this thread.

Maybe I used the wrong word. I want closure for the season's arcs, taken seriously, not winkingly, which I think the show HAS done before.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

MikeJF posted:

An asteroid destroyed all human civilisation, not all human life. Clearly this means that Greendale has become a fortress in the post-civilisation apocalyptic wasteland that was once North America I would watch the gently caress out of that spinoff.

"Who are you texting all the time? Everyone we know is alive is here and cell towers haven't worked for years!"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

emoticon posted:

But then they started doing retreads of previously beloved gimmick episodes,

I think you're overstating how much this was the case, though. Sure, they did a second D&D episode, but there was a very different emotional core to it, and worked at least as well as the first one did. I love David Cross a lot of the time, but I tend to like him least when he's playing a moody, resentful dick. But holy God, did he end up making it work in that one. And the "Hot Lava" episode really was unique in important ways - stylistically it was similar to the paintball episodes, but again, different emotional core. It was a great stylized look at how people sometimes have to unexpectedly learn to move on. I get that there were plenty of episodes where it felt like we had been there before, but hey. They still worked, even if they weren't 100% unprecedented.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm guessing the writers had a lot more episodes lined up that followed the theme set by the first episode more naturally, but they had to scrap them all and go back to the drawing board once Donald Glover left.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
:siren: Hey guys, FYI, there's a huge push to get Netflix to pickup community by reddit edit: also, upvote that reddit thread so it gets to the front page. Everyone's been going onto the live chat with customer support and customer support has been inundated with requests to pickup the show, and they're not only sending these customer feedback requests to the content guys, but they now have a tracker specifically to tally the number of customers who live chat in about picking up Community. I encourage everyone to go live chat with customer support and voice your support to have Netflix pickup the show.

You don't even need to be a netflix customer to live chat either

Just go here and click start live chat:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/412?locale=en-US&country=US

Oh yeah, and there's a hashtag on twitter for this: #NetflixPickUpCommunity

http://www.reddit.com/r/community/comments/258hpo/serious_this_is_our_show_and_we_can_save_it_it_is/

quote:

AWESOME....great news is that we actually started a feedback tracker on Community, one of the best TV shows. You did a good thing chatting in about this and your support will be greatly appreciated
What you can do to help is to allow us to add your name to that feedback tracker so that my content team can see that we are still getting requests on this
We need all the support we can get to keep it alive. And hey you should get your friends and family to join the support...we are known to keep shows alive and this will be a great addition to the Netflix library

Example chat:

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 11, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

:siren: Hey guys, FYI, there's a huge push to get Netflix to pickup community by reddit. Everyone's been going onto the live chat with customer support and customer support has been inundated with requests to pickup the show, and they're not only sending these customer feedback requests to the content guys, but they now have a tracker specifically to tally the number of customers who live chat in about picking up Community. I encourage everyone to go live chat with customer support and voice your support to have Netflix pickup the show.

Thanks for this... I had been considering going on Live Chat with Netflix about it earlier, and finally just did because of this post. It only takes a couple of minutes, and it really does seem like they're taking notice of it!

v v v That comic is fantastic. :allears:

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 11, 2014

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
http://jodocho.tumblr.com/post/85279236642/well-this-is-definitely-the-fastest-ive-ever

And that's canon.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

With Hulu's contract with Sony re: Community, it's almost a hail mary pass to consider Netflix picking it up.

This show is hosed up though. Stranger things HAVE happened.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ashpanash posted:

With Hulu's contract with Sony re: Community, it's almost a hail mary pass to consider Netflix picking it up.

Not necessarily, Netflix has s1-4 of Community here in Canada, so they probably have the international rights elsewhere too, at least.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Keep in mind Hulu's contract is just for domestic syndication rights. Netflix has a license for international syndication and a 6th season of Community would be a big get for them even if they can't stream it in the US.

EDIT: Beaten. But yeah, Community is more valuable to Netflix alive than dead.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Just got back from Harmontown. Dan is drunk (as expected), but in decent spirits. He briefly rapped about a Kickstarter campaign, but otherwise nothing too explicit about his future plans with the show.

Oh, and I got to talk to him and hug him. He's a really cool dude, and I totally respect him.

Kristofenpheiffer
Sep 12, 2004
The Hemogoblin
If Netflix doesn't pick this up, I think comic that was just enough closure for me.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
I think the chances of Community being picked up are pretty low, but I think the finite rallying cry of six seasons (and a movie) helps it more than it hurts it. Fans aren't asking for the show to go on forever like with most save-our-show campaigns, just to get to that magical number. It also gives the marketing team of where ever it may end up a built-in angle for promotion.

For me, a sixth season would at least provide a definitive timeline to wrap up the characters. No more "well, let's leave it open in case we get picked up" half-finales.

Hopefully publishers are interested!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Calico Heart posted:

Do goons have super-super short term memory? Like eight episodes in people kept saying how amazing the season was. After the last two (I agree lovely episodes, everyone is now saying this season was "barely better than four" and the like. Seriously, this season had some hiccups, but it gave us some great episodes.

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier; every single week we were having people posting the exact same thing: 'oh my god, guys, Community is back'. A few mediocre episodes at the end and suddenly they've all forgotten.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier; every single week we were having people posting the exact same thing: 'oh my god, guys, Community is back'. A few mediocre episodes at the end and suddenly they've all forgotten.

Endings are fairly important.

Probably most important though is why the endings were bad, which seemed to primarily derive from Troy leaving.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

computer parts posted:

Endings are fairly important.

Probably most important though is why the endings were bad, which seemed to primarily derive from Troy leaving.

There are plenty of solid episodes without Troy. They got to develop Buzz and Duncan, plus Chang having fun with ghosts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The only episodes I think were real letdowns were the finale, which I don't think was because of cast departures but rather the nature of the finale beast, and the GI Joe episode, which watching the behind the scenes I think was pretty much Dan Harmon's process getting hosed with by the way animated shows get made.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

MikeJF posted:

and the GI Joe episode, which watching the behind the scenes I think was pretty much Dan Harmon's process getting hosed with by the way animated shows get made.

The previous Community animated episodes (the christmas claymation and the video game ep) were both really good so....I don't think that was the problem.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kristofenpheiffer posted:

If Netflix doesn't pick this up, I think comic that was just enough closure for me.

This, although I'm admittedly a Jeff-Britta 'shipper and secretly want to see Harmon bite the bullet and say "Yeah, okay, gently caress it, let's finally pull the trigger on this." I am fully aware of how ridiculous and sad this is. But I have a fiancee and she's real and totally doesn't live in Canada! Honest!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

The previous Community animated episodes (the christmas claymation and the video game ep) were both really good so....I don't think that was the problem.

He had a lot more time on those. With this one he was writing past the deadline and still not really done.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Majorian posted:

This, although I'm admittedly a Jeff-Britta 'shipper and secretly want to see Harmon bite the bullet and say "Yeah, okay, gently caress it, let's finally pull the trigger on this." I am fully aware of how ridiculous and sad this is. But I have a fiancee and she's real and totally doesn't live in Canada! Honest!

Do you mean you actually write stories about Jeff & Britta doing it?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

1st AD posted:

New Girl
Brooklyn Nine Nine
It's Always Sunny
Veep
Louie
loving lol at getting four shows deep before calling Louie a sitcom

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The first two episodes of the season were really promising and exciting because they set up a compelling storyline for the whole of the season, which they didn't end up delivering on at all. So those two look a lot worse in retrospect.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Lord Of Texas posted:

The first two episodes of the season were really promising and exciting because they set up a compelling storyline for the whole of the season, which they didn't end up delivering on at all. So those two look a lot worse in retrospect.

The season premier was always pretty bad. Unless you read season 5 as "six people desperately trying to relive the best years of their lives and finding the resulting experience shallow and ultimately pointless," nothing about the season makes a whole lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

this seems like a lot for tech support to promise...

• Locked thread