Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Step 3: get this mod: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2185

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ixjuvin posted:

Anyone have an example of a refinery complex approaching cleanliness? Mine is a hideous slapdash affair (due mainly to figuring out systems on the go) and I'd like it to be neater next time I build one.
This is my refinery setup. It's a bit cramped, but is probably the most efficient way to hook a bunch of refineries up to the same system while also being easy to set up chemical plants off of any of the outputs.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I don't have any screenshots handy, but my basic refinery setup takes advantage of the way a pair of adjacent refineries' outputs are offset by exactly five squares, which is just perfect for connecting to a pair of storage tanks. Then I can expand that setup in any direction.

The real secret to a non-suicidal refinery setup is to use below-ground pipes wherever possible, but most of you seem to have that under control.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

One thing I would like to see is the ability to disassemble items. Not necessarily getting all the parts back, but maybe half of them.

Is there anyway to delete items from your inventory? I am up to using electric furnaces in my current game, and I still have burner drills and stone furnaces in my inventory.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Filthy Monkey posted:

One thing I would like to see is the ability to disassemble items. Not necessarily getting all the parts back, but maybe half of them.

Is there anyway to delete items from your inventory? I am up to using electric furnaces in my current game, and I still have burner drills and stone furnaces in my inventory.

Stuff them in a chest and forget about them.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

UberJumper posted:

Stuff them in a chest and forget about them.

If you stuff them in a chest and then destroy the chest the items will disappear.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Is there an actual reason to use solar? I don't mind building big arrays, but transitioning to it from steam seems pretty hard, given that you don't get power at night. I feel like I would need much more powerful accumulators to make the transition without going crazy. Steam is just so easy and reliable.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Filthy Monkey posted:

Is there an actual reason to use solar? I don't mind building big arrays, but transitioning to it from steam seems pretty hard, given that you don't get power at night. I feel like I would need much more powerful accumulators to make the transition without going crazy. Steam is just so easy and reliable.

Probably the only reason is less pollution. You could also be running out of coal (hahaha) but I usually have more solid fuel than I know what to do with once I start oil refining, so it would be easier just to use that to fuel your boilers.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I don't really know how I would run out of coal. I've moved over to electric furnaces. Right now the only thing I use it for is fueling my boilers, and they honestly don't take that much.

Do biters only attack things that generate pollution? Can I put a huge solar/accumular array off to the side, and know that I don't have to defend its giant borders?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 11, 2014

Spudnewt
Mar 5, 2005
Batman touched my junk liberally.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Its really not that bad if you go 'green' with the efficiency modules

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Filthy Monkey posted:

I don't really know how I would run out of coal. I've moved over to electric furnaces. Right now the only thing I use it for is fueling my boilers, and they honestly don't take that much.

Do biters only attack things that generate pollution? Can I put a huge solar/accumular array off to the side, and know that I don't have to defend its giant borders?

Biters are attracted to things that pollute and target them to start, but will change their target to Distractors, Constructors, Other Drones/Player, Turrets, and Everything Else in that order if they see them. Once one of them is attacking their chosen target, the rest will randomly target nearby things (if they aren't being actively shot at, that is). They will run past things that aren't their primary target (ie, your solar fields) unless they are blocked, in which case they attack the block (which might be your solar field).

Going solar reduces pollution A LOT, and means that you can get into needing purple science without ever even seeing a Big Biter. My second/current game I went spawner hunting and was able to kill the nest, only having to kill two medium biters (and a slew of smalls).

I have small pillboxes (4 turrets, a space, double walls) on my major attack routes that easily clean everything off.

Edit:

Pillboxes are circled. The accumulators are completely unguarded and have been left alone, the solars only get attacked I think because they block the way to the meat of my base.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 11, 2014

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
Biters generally go for things that cause pollution first, but they do have a set of higher priority targets if they can get them (like your logistics bots), and they will munch on anything that's blocking their path (walls, pipes, belts, etc). So while they'll happily ignore your power poles, they are likely to get stuck somewhere in your giant solar array and start taking chunks out of it.

You don't actually "need" solar, really, once you start processing oil. You can easily convert heavy oil, which is otherwise fairly useless, into solid fuel and pretty much never worry about boilers running out of stuff to burn.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I really hope he adds stuff like fission power and fusion power. Both of which would require a boatload of resources and materials and need you to manage the thermal output of them via water cooling to avoid them exploding.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So do we have a date on when it will come to steam. So far the game seems fun. http://youtu.be/N9-7uLg-DZU
Play this on loop

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 11, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Managed to get myself to solar only. Spudnewt was right about efficiency modules. Makes a big difference in how much juice you use and how much pollution you produce. I would suggest picking those up pretty early, especially if you want to keep your pollution down, or plan to go solar.

One thing I am learning is that you don't really want to overbuild from the start. If you can keep two labs going all the time, you are in fine shape, especially once you get to blue science. It is easy to start laying down the plans for a giant production empire, trying to feed six labs, taking forever until you actually finish your chains, and producing mega-pollution in the meantime. A small finished loop right now is better than a huge unfinished loop.

Here is what I have meeting my modest power needs at the moment. I built it by the coast, so that biters are unlikely to walk by. Not that I am even generating enough pollution to get attacked.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 11, 2014

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Managed to get myself to solar only. Spudnewt was right about efficiency modules. Makes a big difference in how much juice you use and how much pollution you produce. I would suggest picking those up pretty early, especially if you want to keep your pollution down, or plan to go solar.

One thing I am learning is that you don't really want to overbuild from the start. If you can keep two labs going all the time, you are in fine shape, especially once you get to blue science. It is easy to start laying down the plans for a giant production empire, trying to feed six labs, taking forever until you actually finish your chains, and producing mega-pollution in the meantime. A small finished loop right now is better than a huge unfinished loop.

Here is what I have meeting my modest power needs at the moment. I built it by the coast, so that biters are unlikely to walk by. Not that I am even generating enough pollution to get attacked.

I usually use solars during the day backed by smaller modular steam engines. usually I'll have 2 water pumps feeding 10 boilers feeding 16 engines. A few of these scattered around my complex is enough to provide solid power in just about any circumstance. Not too mention they are juuust small enough to not attract too much biter attention.

Plus, I usually power remote mining complexes with solar only and power saving modules to minimize any actual need for defense. Hell, after you get big power lines it's even possible to build a global power network using big towers for long distance transmission. At that point you can just bury your power plants in the safest spots you got beam it wherever.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Had a big worm protecting about five biter spawns in my sandbox game. They were becoming an issue because my pollution was triggering them about every five minutes. I could walk turrets in to clear three of the spawns but the last two were just underneath the worm. I couldn't keep empty turrets up before they were nearly dead by the swarm and the homing shot. I figured I'd try some advice in this thread: take a car, load up a flamethrower, roll down the window and burn the place to the ground. In a short five seconds I burned the swarm then accidentally rammed the worm, killing it and the car. :v:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

The Shortest Path posted:

This is my refinery setup. It's a bit cramped, but is probably the most efficient way to hook a bunch of refineries up to the same system while also being easy to set up chemical plants off of any of the outputs.

Awesome.

I'm really liking the 'central bus' setup someone posted earlier in the thread. Just got blue science running!

(for some reason my png uploaded into a jpg :confused:)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hihohe posted:

So do we have a date on when it will come to steam. So far the game seems fun. http://youtu.be/N9-7uLg-DZU
Play this on loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SW6qVLSVzw&list=PLD45596E4E930758A

You're welcome. :colbert:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ixjuvin posted:

Awesome.

I'm really liking the 'central bus' setup someone posted earlier in the thread. Just got blue science running!
It is a good method for keeping things organized. I am rebuilding using that right now. Tore down my old base, where I started off doing a lot of stuff by hand, and am going from the ground-up using better tech. Just got to green science again.

Have my solar array and accumulators off by the ocean, keeping things up. Still not generating enough pollution to actually get attacked. I have efficiency modules in most of the places they can go now. Just need to put them in a couple more electric miners, and the science labs.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Aaag, why is the power monitor so hard to read? I can never tell when I'm overcapacity or falling short.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

Aaag, why is the power monitor so hard to read? I can never tell when I'm overcapacity or falling short.

Clicking on a power pole will give you a much better picture of your power production/use.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Essentially you only have to read the top two bars and compare them. Is your production larger than your consumption? You're good! If it's not then you need to add more energy production or add efficiency modules.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Sage Grimm posted:

Essentially you only have to read the top two bars and compare them. Is your production larger than your consumption? You're good! If it's not then you need to add more energy production or add efficiency modules.

It's actually 'is your production bar partly full or accumulator energy growing' or 'is the power line satisfaction bar full', which is kind of annoying but who cares when you can just over compensate with more production, pollution just means more targets for your laser turrets :getin:

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Always a good idea to have your power production higher then your theoretical maximum. Speaking from experience, if you deplete a portion of your line and suddenly ALL your inserters and AND your factories/smelter are running at full capacity to catch up, it can create a serious issue where your steam generator plants are suddenly using more fuel/water then than you thought possible when it was running at half cap.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Does anyone have the math on how many of each component you should be building for Red/Green/Blue production? Like, optimally, how many factories should I have spitting out copper cable if I want to keep a red factory and a green factory working full-time? A spreadsheet or something would be handy.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It isn't an even number once you get past red science. It is mostly inserters that screw it up, given that you need 2 for every 3 green beaker factories. It leads to lots of fractions of factories.

Here is a birdeye overview of my base now, with red, green, and blue beaker production. Shows my laser defenses too, not that I have been attacked. Operating purely on solar power, and everything has efficency modules.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Every time i get a significant upgrade, i feel the need to completely overhaul my whole system. I did it when i got upgraded power poles and just spent 3 hours rebuilding from scratch after electric furnaces. :smithicide:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I love how you can have nearly infinite throughput. I have a green factory with three blue inserters taking copper in and three blue inserters taking it out, just making GBS threads out wire as fast as possible.

And I need more :unsmigghh:

I have two regular wire factories feeding circuit board factories, copied four times, all feeding the same hungry line, going towards inserters (green/blue sci) and advanced Circs (blue sci/processors), and still the line hungers for more, but I'm out of real estate. The green wire factory above isn't making basic circuits.

Fun fact, you can throw grenades from trains

E: Basically Processing Units need a goddamn shitload of circuit boards

E2:

more

E3:

MORE

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 12, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just finished updating my coastal solar field. 795 MJ of accumulator capacity now. Could probably survive two nights in a row without any sunlight now.

Royal W posted:

Every time i get a significant upgrade, i feel the need to completely overhaul my whole system. I did it when i got upgraded power poles and just spent 3 hours rebuilding from scratch after electric furnaces. :smithicide:
My thought via furnaces is just to hand-feed them coal before you get electric. It takes a while for a furnace to go through a stack of coal, and belting it is time I will just have to spend undoing later. Just prioritize getting electric furnaces.

Evilreaver posted:

E: Basically Processing Units need a goddamn shitload of circuit boards
Yeah, electronic circuits are my short line right now, that are holding some others up. I have five factories dedicated to it, and probably need at least another three.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Turns out when you swap green modules for blue modules in your furnaces and assemblers, your power needs bump up a little bit!

This leaves me with just about 120 kJ by the time the solars come back on. The steam is there as a backup when I expand the base and forget to expand the solar field- if those turrets turn off :ohdear:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 12, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is anyone else getting a thing where ore estimates will sometimes read like "4.2G" instead of "4.2k"? I can't tell if it's supposed to mean something or just a weird bug :iiam:

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is anyone else getting a thing where ore estimates will sometimes read like "4.2G" instead of "4.2k"? I can't tell if it's supposed to mean something or just a weird bug :iiam:

4,2 giga units perhaps?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I'm trying to figure out logistics bus-belts - my basic core right now is wire, copper, iron plates, steel beams. To get blue science, I need a lot more than that - and I'd guess I don't want a logistics belt of fast inserters going down my core. What's a solid blue-science production line even look like?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The bus-belt line I posted here makes blue science.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629545&pagenumber=6#post429523818

The one change I would make is probably an extra copper mine/smelter, an two extra copper wire factories, and two extra circuit factories.

I don't add some secondary products to main belt, if I know I won't use them anywhere else.

I wouldn't try to feed more than two or three labs to start. You can expand later, if you feel the need.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 12, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Harik posted:

I'm trying to figure out logistics bus-belts - my basic core right now is wire, copper, iron plates, steel beams. To get blue science, I need a lot more than that - and I'd guess I don't want a logistics belt of fast inserters going down my core. What's a solid blue-science production line even look like?

I wouldn't necessarily prescribe bus-belts for secondary products, especially not the blue inserter chain for blue science. My setup uses direct feed from blue inserters to green (robot arm pulls from blue and stuffs into green) and then drone-flies the green inserters to the blue science plant.

My setup has been good up to now, but mass-producing those circuit units may just be a bridge too far. Next game I'll make sure my refinery complex is near my factory complex, and I can just train barrels from the oil field to the factory.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Liquid tank rolling stock would really help out with that :pray:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Are there any missions after this dumb get the computer from the cashed ship mission(new hope 3 I think)?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yes, you get to gently caress around with oil in the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Just started playing this game last night and I think I'm getting the hang of it:

I think this is a pretty good factory for only my second free world. Now I just need to hammer out the supply chain for blue beakers, then relocate my labs.