Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ever have that thing about a movie that really shouldn't bother you, but it just loving does? That thing that you mention to your friends and they go "what, you're crazy, I'm a mindless consumer of visual media and that doesn't bother me at all!" and then you just stare angrily at them until they go away? That thing that ruined an otherwise good movie for you because you just couldn't get over it (and who could blame you?)? This is the thread where you post about that thing. It doesn't matter how big or small it is, if it bugs you, post about it here and other people will probably quote it and go "yep that bothers me too". Sometimes movie directors don't know anything about movie directing, it happens.

There aren't really any obligatory thread rules other than don't start poo poo about movies you like that someone else didn't like, nobody cares.

edit: Following a few big text dumps I have decided to ask that if you have lots and lots of complaints, rational or not, please stagger them over a handful of posts instead of just pooping them out in one big one. It makes you look a little crazy.

I will start us off with an example from any given found-footage movie that has a scene with in-world music: Rarely if ever do I hear the music in the scene be cut with the camera jump cuts and it's a really annoying continuity error!

But it's not just movies, you can post about other forms of media too. Here is a post of mine that talks about the worst stock sound in television:

CJacobs posted:

Reality television sucks and is always at least partly staged in both the US and the UK, but the for-TV editing in the UK versions of Gordon Ramsay's programs eek them out as better. I've already talked in this thread about the US version and that loving editing-for-emphasis sound effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxPMUcEOr6Q&t=79s

You know the sound effect.

So go nuts, have fun, get mad at movies. Just don't take them too seriously and write a 3000 word essay on Elysium like that one guy did.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Apr 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CJacobs posted:

I will start us off with an example from any given found-footage movie that has a scene with in-world music: Rarely if ever do I hear the music in the scene be cut with the camera jump cuts and it's a really annoying continuity error!

In the same vein: you know how when there's a song playing over someone driving a car, the movie makers pretend it's on the radio by fading it out when they cut to an external shot then have it get loud again when the driver opens the door? There's a scene like that in Species, but the car being driven is a convertible with the top down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that kind of bugs me about the zombie romance movie Warm Bodies is how at the very end when R comes back to life his facial scars are just gone.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

But it's not just movies, you can post about other forms of visual media too. Here is a post of mine that talks about the worst stock sound in television:

What am I supposed to be hearing?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That annoying buzzsaw sound they play whenever something "shocking" happens on any reality TV show ever. I noticed it once and now I can't stop!

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

That annoying buzzsaw sound they play whenever something "shocking" happens on any reality TV show ever. I noticed it once and now I can't stop!

How about the bass BEEERRRRwwwwww whenever there is a slow-motion shot. I hate that so much or rather just how so many movies with huge budgets have such terrible sound design.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The pitch-shifting they did for some of the voice actors in The Lego Movie. I get that movies having celebrity voice actors is a thing and all but they could have saved a lot of money and effort just hiring Tara Strong and a guy who can actually do two different voices instead of making the girl from Community and Liam Neeson sound extra squeaky.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I know Troy is obviously not supposed to be historical, but it was still funny how all the men had perfectly waxed chests.

Also, "you sack of wine" is one of the lamest insults I've ever heard.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Celery Face posted:

I know Troy is obviously not supposed to be historical, but it was still funny how all the men had perfectly waxed chests.

Also, "you sack of wine" is one of the lamest insults I've ever heard.

That line stands out so horribly that I wonder if there's any historical context I'm missing or if the writers really thought that insults just mean angrily calling people ordinary household items.

"You can of soup!"

"You feathered pillow!"

"You chair!"

etc

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Heres Hank posted:

That line stands out so horribly that I wonder if there's any historical context I'm missing or if the writers really thought that insults just mean angrily calling people ordinary household items.

It was quite common to call a drunkard a winesack, the insult being that holding wine inside was the only thing he ever did. It clearly doesn't have the same impact in our modern era of highly nuanced insults like "loving oval office" and "dumb motherfucker", though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jedit posted:

It was quite common to call a drunkard a winesack, the insult being that holding wine inside was the only thing he ever did. It clearly doesn't have the same impact in our modern era of highly nuanced insults like "loving oval office" and "dumb motherfucker", though.
+1, emptyquote and other internet expressions that indicate my approval and the fact I would have said the exact same thing, had I not been beaten to it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Why didn't Peter become a normal dude after he launched the cross-species cure at the end of the Amazing Spider-Man?

Diddums
Jan 31, 2014

MrJacobs posted:

Why didn't Peter become a normal dude after he launched the cross-species cure at the end of the Amazing Spider-Man?

Because he launched the antidote to the Lizard serum specifically, not just an antidote in general.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
On re-watching Firefly I noticed it had some of the worst gunfights in recent memory. Film and TV show gunfights are always hilarious. No one uses cover properly, no one ever has to reload, and the bad guys are always conveniently terrible shots. Hell, there was a scene with Zoe going into some kind of roll down a hallway crowded with guys shooting at her. Not only do they miss the person doing a hedgehog impersonation right in front of them, they wait patiently as she stands up and unloads a clip into all of them.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Any time Katherine Heigl is on screen interacting with or talking about a man.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Anytime Gerard Butler's character is onscreen in The Ugly Truth. Or The Ugly Truth in general. That movie is just terrible.

In Troy, before the bodies get burned, coins are put on their eyes. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure they were actually put under the tongue. There's also a scene where you see a fleeing citizen drag a llama with him. A llama. In Ancient Greece.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 06:55 on May 10, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

One particularly annoying bit about movie shootouts is that people usually take turns shooting at each other, as though in a turn-based gamed. Particularly noticeable when the director tries to mask it via closeups.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Celery Face posted:

Anytime Gerard Butler's character is onscreen in The Ugly Truth. Or The Ugly Truth in general. That movie is just terrible.

In Troy, before the bodies get burned, coins are put on their eyes. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure they were actually put under the tongue. There's also a scene where you see a fleeing citizen drag a llama with him. A llama. In Ancient Greece.

Even more annoying about that scene in Troy is that there were no coins at the time when the Trojan War was alleged to take place -- Trojan War = c. 1250 BC; invention of coinage by the Lydians = c. 6th century BC. Also, being the older man in the pair, Achilles should have a beard. :argh: Aside from Briseis, anyway :v:

Don't get me started on Gladiator, although it never fails to crack me up that one of Russell Crowensius's choices of head-covering helmets just before his debut at the Coliseum is the Sutton Hoo helmet! (ie a dude from c.AD 180 Rome having a choice of wearing the ceremonial burial helmet of a 7th century AD Anglo-Saxon king).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
In the same vein, movie swordfights. Now, I know that in fencing, you often block with your sword. With a non-fencing sword, which is what most people use in any given historical type film (keyword MOST. I know there's exceptions) you don't want to deflect with your sword because it's a good way to break it. Even at this point I can deal with things. The problem comes when the choreography is just plain sloppy and the swordfighters appear to be actually aiming for their opponents swords.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The Nolan batman movies piss me off.

Why?

Because we have a guy who's supposed to be the BEST EVER FIGHTER IN THE WORLD and he fights like this.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The Nolan batman movies piss me off.

Why?

Because we have a guy who's supposed to be the BEST EVER FIGHTER IN THE WORLD and he fights like this.

Not to mention the idea that Batman, a strategically-minded tactician whose entire thing is finding an enemy's weakness and exploiting it (to the point that he carries around a kryptonite ring) would take one look at Bane's rebreather and NOT try to find a way to rip it off his face.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Heres Hank posted:

Not to mention the idea that Batman, a strategically-minded tactician whose entire thing is finding an enemy's weakness and exploiting it (to the point that he carries around a kryptonite ring) would take one look at Bane's rebreather and NOT try to find a way to rip it off his face.

I watched that movie last night and they handled Batman pretty badly compared to the other two movies (and I've never read the comics so I can't comment on that). Like he's just standing around not doing anything a lot of the time, and the camera work is so dull as well.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ms Boods posted:

Don't get me started on Gladiator, although it never fails to crack me up that one of Russell Crowensius's choices of head-covering helmets just before his debut at the Coliseum is the Sutton Hoo helmet! (ie a dude from c.AD 180 Rome having a choice of wearing the ceremonial burial helmet of a 7th century AD Anglo-Saxon king).

I dunno, its a fair bit different, isnt it? Just seemed like a fairly generic spikey helmet to me (albeit a fairly non roman looking one)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

One particularly annoying bit about movie shootouts is that people usually take turns shooting at each other, as though in a turn-based gamed. Particularly noticeable when the director tries to mask it via closeups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr2GeWiDrdY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Esroc posted:

On re-watching Firefly I noticed it had some of the worst gunfights in recent memory. Film and TV show gunfights are always hilarious. No one uses cover properly, no one ever has to reload, and the bad guys are always conveniently terrible shots. Hell, there was a scene with Zoe going into some kind of roll down a hallway crowded with guys shooting at her. Not only do they miss the person doing a hedgehog impersonation right in front of them, they wait patiently as she stands up and unloads a clip into all of them.

The crappy TV show Andromeda had a good explanation as to why the main characters never actually got shot in gun battles. Because it took place in the future guns didn't fire bullets, instead they shot tiny missiles and the main characters (who had better tech than the bad guys) all wore devices that disrupted the tiny missile guidance systems.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Roblo posted:

I dunno, its a fair bit different, isnt it? Just seemed like a fairly generic spikey helmet to me (albeit a fairly non roman looking one)

Oh! The one R C picks out is just a HollyRome helmet, but when he's making his initial selection from the rack, if you look quick, one of the ones on display is the Sutton Hoo one. I didn't notice it until I saw it on a big screen in a lecture hall (I'd only seen it on dvd before), and it's a blink and you'll miss it moment.

Sorry about the confusion :hist101:

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The crappy TV show Andromeda had a good explanation as to why the main characters never actually got shot in gun battles. Because it took place in the future guns didn't fire bullets, instead they shot tiny missiles and the main characters (who had better tech than the bad guys) all wore devices that disrupted the tiny missile guidance systems.

Sounds like a good reason to use bullets.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Ms Boods posted:

Even more annoying about that scene in Troy is that there were no coins at the time when the Trojan War was alleged to take place -- Trojan War = c. 1250 BC; invention of coinage by the Lydians = c. 6th century BC. Also, being the older man in the pair, Achilles should have a beard. :argh: Aside from Briseis, anyway :v:

What irritated me the most about Gladiator was Marcus Aurelius secretly longing for a Republic. That is some Hollywood history right there. And of all people, Marcus Aurelius is pretty well known and even wrote a whole diary of sorts about his philosophical outlook on things, which survives to this day and has been sold in English for centuries. Nothing in there about returning to the good ol' republican days.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

muscles like this? posted:

That's...that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. No wonder that show didn't take off.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Esroc posted:

That's...that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. No wonder that show didn't take off.

It's not a movie, but the old tabletop Battletech game had rules like this. The 155mm artillery cannon mounted on your mech had a range of only a few hundred yards (maybe 1k?) The answer was, countermeasures were so effective that they prevented anyone from shooting at something "so far away." The real reason is the designers wants a game that could be played at a certain scale, but what a bullshit reason. Even in 7th grade I found it baffling. I remember asking a GM if I could use a marker to draw a crosshairs onto my windshield, and use that as a sight instead of the computers.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Falukorv posted:

What irritated me the most about Gladiator was Marcus Aurelius secretly longing for a Republic. That is some Hollywood history right there. And of all people, Marcus Aurelius is pretty well known and even wrote a whole diary of sorts about his philosophical outlook on things, which survives to this day and has been sold in English for centuries. Nothing in there about returning to the good ol' republican days.
gently caress, what wasn't wrong in Gladiator?

Or 99% of anything concerning Roman history, for that matter.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Stargate posted:

I watched that movie last night and they handled Batman pretty badly compared to the other two movies (and I've never read the comics so I can't comment on that). Like he's just standing around not doing anything a lot of the time, and the camera work is so dull as well.

No he was handled pretty badly in the Dark Knight as well. The whole end of that movie was bullshit since the goddamned Batman IE: the worlds greatest detective shouldn't have needed a super cell-phone radar. He should have just figured it out based on some stupid detail and then been done with it. Also he lost to dogs because the man is so stupid he didn't remove his goggles once the hostages were freed.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
That whole goddamn sequence is irritating. Take those stupid rear end goggles off. Hostages, if you can't drop the weapons then throw yourselves on the floor. Swat just use flashbangs, and Gordon get a goddamn grip.

I might poison the well with this, but barring some scenes, I really like Rises.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Esroc posted:

This reminded me of the biggest reason I can't bring myself to enjoy Person of Interest despite it having a pretty cool premise (well, this and the unlikable main characters): Every episode has like three instances of the bad guys holding a good guy at gunpoint...and then standing there menacingly for like a full 5 seconds until another good guy shoots them. It happens in all kinds of movies and TV shows and it always drives me nuts but it's so prevalent in PoI specifically that it's the first thing I think about whenever I think of that show. If you have to build suspense like that, at least throw in a line about the bad guys needing to take the good guys alive for whatever reason, or make it so the audience sees the bad guy before the main character, or just anything at all on earth other than the bad guy pulling a gun and then zoning out until backup arrives.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I've seen a lot of parodies of that trope, but there was one that came out relatively recently and was really good. And now I can't find it because that's literally all I remember :/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was just watching an episode of Elementary, where one of the detectives is attacked in a drive-by shooting while driving.

The scene clearly shows a fully-automatic weapon being unloaded at his car, but when examining the car, the highly-experienced detective Gregson states that it was done with a semi-automatic MP5. Sherlock then confidently says that the gun was fired in 3-round bursts, and that it had a "rifled barrel, as opposed to a smooth bore". Apparently, this means the assailant had access to "high-level weapon augmentation" :downs:

I'm not even into guns, and the ridiculousness of that scene was glaringly obvious to me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A recent episode of Elementary had the absolute worst example of bad guys not just shooting the good guys. Watson and and Mycroft are being held at gunpoint and the leader of the bad guys orders his men to shoot them, but they just stand around not doing anything for ages. Pretty much any time Mycroft is in that show it's terrible, but that was just the worst.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I know :(

But Johnny Lee Miller is so lovable as Sherlock Holmes, I can't stop watching it. His naive/autist portrayal is a nice counterpoint to Benedict Cumberbatch's misanthrope.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Spider-Man man movies,

Where the hell does Peter get his outfit? OK so Tobey made a really crappy one for wrestling but then he makes this slick rear end looking suit that he can constantly repair after every fight but he's always scraping by to get cash?

Same for the newer films. Even Electro is in boxers for the early parts of his appearance and then a scene later he's got a jumpsuit with a lightning bolt on his arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The comics have always been like that. A poor high school student someone makes a super web adhesive and launchers for it all on his own. I always thought that the webs were a part of his powers and I always preferred that take.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 19:35 on May 11, 2014