Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

The season premier was always pretty bad. Unless you read season 5 as "six people desperately trying to relive the best years of their lives and finding the resulting experience shallow and ultimately pointless," nothing about the season makes a whole lot of sense.
If the season had kept the tone from the first episode it would have been better. Bringing all the darkness underlying the show to the front could have been a great farewell. Instead it felt like a lot of the season was treading water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lord Of Texas posted:

The first two episodes of the season were really promising and exciting because they set up a compelling storyline for the whole of the season, which they didn't end up delivering on at all. So those two look a lot worse in retrospect.

Yeah and the following eight episodes after that of fantastic stuff with near everyone in this thread loving the show and everything mean absolutely nothing in the face of three mediocre ones at the end.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

The season premier was always pretty bad.

I liked it at the time.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah and the following eight episodes after that of fantastic stuff with near everyone in this thread loving the show and everything mean absolutely nothing in the face of three mediocre ones at the end.

In my opinion the middle of the season was not some amazing run either. I loved the Pierce episode, the Duncan/Britta + Abed/Hickey episode, and Meow Meow Beenz. Other than that:

G.I. Jeff told a good story but took way too long rehashing satire of 80's cartoons which has been done better a million times.
Dungeons and Dragons and Floor is Lava missed on both the humor and sentiment for me, and felt like/were rehashes.
rear end-Crack Bandit was a worse rehash of the Law and Order ep from S3.
The episode with the guest stars was rushed and pointless.
The VCR game episode was funny in parts.

Still with all that, it's leaps and bounds ahead of S4 and pretty close in average quality to S3, from where I sit.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 11, 2014

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Lord Of Texas posted:

rear end-Crack Bandit was a worse rehash of the Law and Order ep from S3.
Those episodes were both great though. The movie parody/reference episodes were always some of Community's best, I thought (the first paintball episode, the Apollo 13 one, probably some others). Harmon seems to have a rare talent for parody that is actually good and funny without getting too banal.

Aardark fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 11, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Lord Of Texas posted:

worse rehash of the Law and Order ep from S3.

This implies that the Law and Order parody was bad.

Which is wrong, of course, because they nailed it. Even Shirley was used brilliantly.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Victor Vermis posted:

This implies that the Law and Order parody was bad.

Which is wrong, of course, because they nailed it. Even Shirley was used brilliantly.

I guess I didn't word that perfectly, but it's obvious my intent was to say rear end-Crack Bandit was both worse than the Law & Order episode and a re-hash of it. I loved the S3 Law and Order episode and I agree they nailed it.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Has anyone besides Questlove been confirmed for Celebrity Beat-Off?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm sure that will work, pestering low level CS reps at Netflix to get Community picked up. Didn't AD come back because A) it sold really well on DVD and B) Ron Howard was behind it?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm sure that will work, pestering low level CS reps at Netflix to get Community picked up. Didn't AD come back because A) it sold really well on DVD and B) Ron Howard was behind it?

It's not pestering when the site in question literally sets aside a specific program to gauge interest

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Illinois Smith posted:

loving lol at getting four shows deep before calling Louie a sitcom

This is the TV nerd version of "It's a GRAPHIC NOVEL, mother!"

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
The worst part of season 5 was your stupid alphabetical thread titles. Talk about running a joke into the ground. Ugh.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The worst part of season 5 was your stupid alphabetical thread titles. Talk about running a joke into the ground. Ugh.

Always Be Contrarian.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

G.I. Jeff told a good story but took way too long rehashing satire of 80's cartoons which has been done better a million times.

I liked the GI Jeff episode until they explained what was really happening. The "Jeff is insecure" resolution seemed really rushed.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

How are u posted:

I was a fan of the show from the pilot up through Season 3 but 4 was pretty bad and 5 wasn't much better. I think the zany-ness got old after a few years and then it sort of felt like they kept ratcheting it up because that's what made the show stand out in the first place, and it just felt forced. I went from watching the show live every thursday to watching it on Hulu the day after to letting episodes sit on the ol' Hulu queue for a week before being bored enough to watch them. Anyway not sad to see it go and now the talented people can try new things.

That's my 2 cents and nobody cares :)

Still was better than the vast majority of absolute poo poo that teems on TV these days. Gilligans Island was basically a whacky situation each and every week. At least it was enjoyable television.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

MikeJF posted:

An asteroid destroyed all human civilisation, not all human life. Clearly this means that Greendale has become a fortress in the post-civilisation apocalyptic wasteland that was once North America I would watch the gently caress out of that spinoff.

I too. :smith:

Jummy posted:

You're right. Alison Brie isn't working on Mad Men, Joel McHale doesn't have The Soup and whatever other E! shows he works on, Gillian Jacobs hasn't been in several movies during the shows run.

Agreed. The "tied up" thing is asinine. Heck, Brie was even doing vodka commercials. I'd LOVE to drink vodka with her. :)

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 11, 2014

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

I too. :smith:

Agreed. The "tied up" thing is asinine. Heck, Brie was even doing vodka commercials. I'd LOVE to drink vodka with her. :)

It's not asinine, and I'm not trying to come across as pissy, but you apparently are having trouble thinking in anything but black and white. Community was a significant time investment for the actors, writers, and staff. Do they have time for other things alongside it? Of course. But time is not infinite, and Community being canceled absolutely frees up time on their busy schedule.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SunshineDanceParty posted:

That asteroid bit was just as bad as we found a way to make paintball cool again.
The asteroid bit is super awesome now that the show actually got canceled, because that's how it ends now

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Lord Of Texas posted:

It's not asinine, and I'm not trying to come across as pissy, but you apparently are having trouble thinking in anything but black and white. Community was a significant time investment for the actors, writers, and staff. Do they have time for other things alongside it? Of course. But time is not infinite, and Community being canceled absolutely frees up time on their busy schedule.

I get this, I absolutely do, I don't think they've had a hard time fitting in other projects around the Community schedule but I also don't know if they've had to turn anything down due to it. So it does work both ways, which you're totally right. There also isn't any guarantee there's more work out there for them, plenty of people do one big project and are done completely. Take Danny Pudi for example, I just looked through his IMDB and the only things I can remember him being in are Community, Knights of Badassdom, and that phone commercial where they talk about butt dialing. I like that these actors I enjoy in a show were getting a steady and somewhat reliable paycheck.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Danny Pudi is in the new Captain America film

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
I'd honestly be surprised if Gillian Jacobs went that long without getting an offer from another comedy, she just got off a critically acclaimed TV show and she's pretty tight with the Comedy Bang Bang and Funny Or Die crowd and they seem to be the heavy hitters recently.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

Recasting Captain America was a weird choice, but Pudi performs admirably.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Paperhouse posted:

Which was directed by dudes who worked on Community.

Just think, if they never left Community and freed up their schedule you may never have gotten the Captain America 2 that we did! ;)

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Which was directed by dudes who worked on Community.

Just think, if they never left Community and freed up their schedule you may never have gotten the Captain America 2 that we did! ;)

I've heard that CA2 is a notch above the usual Marvel superhero schlock, C/D

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

tinstaach posted:

I've heard that CA2 is a notch above the usual Marvel superhero schlock, C/D

It's real good.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Paperhouse posted:

It's a very small roll though. It's also really weird seeing him in a 'serious' movie too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mister Fister posted:

It's a very small roll though. It's also really weird seeing him in a 'serious' movie too.

He's in the least serious part of the movie.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Not that it's a huge shocker, but Variety is reporting that Netflix has no plans to pick up a sixth season:

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/netflix-community-canceled-1201177833/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fog Tripper posted:

And with Adam Scott, too. It actually marked the first time I willingly watched a YouTube ad the whole way through.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 12, 2014

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

TealShark posted:

Not that it's a huge shocker, but Variety is reporting that Netflix has no plans to pick up a sixth season:

That's a really strange article without much in the way of quote or source for the netflix comment. It seems like everyone is jumping on the "Hulu owns syndication rights, therefore no Netflix" idea.

Still, the issue with Netflix is that Hulu owns the online syndication rights exclusively, so Netflix would have to deal with Hulu to get rights to the back catalog and produce the new season. Apparently the deal, originally done in 2011, was just re-upped.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

TealShark posted:

Reps have said they're still collecting "save Community" Tally's though, lets wait until we have a real confirmation.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
It's infinitely easier for a tech support rep being paid $8/hr to say "ok i've recorded your save community request" than "gently caress off i cant do anything" even though the rep does the exact same thing after the chat (nothing).

Community Is Dead. Deal With It.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

dongsbot 9000 posted:

It's infinitely easier for a tech support rep being paid $8/hr to say "ok i've recorded your save community request" than "gently caress off i cant do anything" even though the rep does the exact same thing after the chat (nothing).

Community Is Dead. Deal With It.

People said the same concerning Veronica Mars, Family Guy, etc.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

People said the same concerning Veronica Mars, Family Guy, etc.

Yes, and with the possible exception of Family Guy, all those shows should have stayed dead.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Irish Joe posted:

Yes, and with the possible exception of Family Guy, all those shows should have stayed dead.

I'm convinced that you run your posts through a filter that outputs the exact opposite of what you actually meant.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Takoluka posted:

I'm convinced that you run your posts through a filter that outputs the exact opposite of what you actually meant.

I can see his point, though. If the argument is "there's hope that a cancelled show could get picked up by another network" then Veronica Mars isn't a good counterpoint, regardless of the fact that they eventually funded a movie on Kickstarter.

Even despite that, I still put in a request to a netflix rep. And I kinda don't even care that it got cancelled, I just know it'd make people so happy.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
So Hulu owns the right to online syndication, but (to me at least) that doesn't mean they own the right to original content. So theoretically Netflix could create new Community episodes and broadcast them, just not the first 5 seasons.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

swickles posted:

So Hulu owns the right to online syndication, but (to me at least) that doesn't mean they own the right to original content. So theoretically Netflix could create new Community episodes and broadcast them, just not the first 5 seasons.

The problem is that they wouldn't want to stream it without its back catalog. You're saying, "Hey here are new episodes of that show you love. New to the series? Well go watch it on a competitor's stuff"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

therobotking posted:

Do you mean you actually write stories about Jeff & Britta doing it?

No, dear God no. I just mean I wanted to see them end up together in earnest, like at the very, very tail end of the show.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Dan Harmon writes a few words on efforts to save Community:

http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/85510995369/more-than-a-tweet

Dan Harmon posted:

But it doesn’t matter right now WHY I’d be lukewarm or if my reasons would be valid, what matters is, I won’t be lukewarm. I’ll heat up. I said “eh” on a Friday afternoon, I will change it to a “sure, let’s talk” on Monday morning and Sony can do their thing. I’m not going to be the guy that recancels cancelled Community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Interesting that you chose to quote that part, and not this one, which I think is much more interesting and pertinent.

Dan Harmon posted:

If you want to know the God’s honest truth, part of my “eh” was coming from the unsettling thought of your passion for campaigns being once again exploited by this rather unfair, somewhat backward system, one that now treats you like it’s your responsibility to keep a show alive, like a corporation is doing you a favor by feeding you low grade opiate through a regulated tube. Like you owe them an apology when they can’t measure or monetize you to their satisfaction. You deserve better.

• Locked thread