Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
If my computer sucks too much to play Revelations is it better on Wii U or PS3? Did the PS3 end up getting more costumes/extras or anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zackcat posted:

I will wait til the end of time for Outbreak File #3.

I'll wait...forever :smithicide:

Even if they do make it it will just be a copy of the Resident evil 4 (and on) style over the shoulder gameplay which will make it generic as gently caress.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

Whatever that huge thing with the tentacles was where you have to be tunnel-visioning in one direction to shoot while dodging attacks coming from the other direction.

Oh yes, we're talking about the same boss. Almost seemed like a light gun shooter with the slow moving projectiles you had to shoot out of the air.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Speaking of Revelations, I'm really starting to despise the combat. I'm up to Norman and it's driving me crazy. Especially since if I die I can't change my loadout without restarting the level.

And then the bullets spawns in the boss arena love to be useless handgun rounds! And don't get me started on the dodging and the slow movement controls as well.

I thought I'd beaten the game when I finished Episode 10 :smith:

You know there's a change your load-out box in the room you fight final boss in right?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Zackcat posted:

I will wait til the end of time for Outbreak File #3.

I'll wait...forever :smithicide:

Team Outbreak's last work was to help Slant-Six fix ORC. :smith:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Alteisen posted:

You know there's a change your load-out box in the room you fight final boss in right?

I know there was a box there but didn't get any prompt when I was near it. You mean... it's just the lovely hotspot detection?

Rrrrevelations! :argh:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I know there was a box there but didn't get any prompt when I was near it. You mean... it's just the lovely hotspot detection?

Rrrrevelations! :argh:

Probably, but yea you can use it, the first time I fought him and sucked at it, I would time it so I'd open the box as he was about to hit me and I would take no damage.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Well, that's given me good reason to get back into it and give it another go (after about 10 attempts yesterday). Thanks!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Capcom to shift focus to online games.

I hope RE7 will not suffer for this. In fact it will probably be an open world game like The Phantom Pain and you'll take on jobs from the BSAA and fight B.O.Ws across the world with a team and it will be everything ORC wanted to be :haw:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I basically just want Dark Souls: Raccoon City

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I, on the other hand, want Final Fight starring Chris Redfield and his Amazing Friends.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Better yet, XCOM-BSAA Edition. Travel all over the world, stopping bioterror attacks then get your entire squad killed and turned into horrible monsters. The original XCOM was pretty close to that, considering how bad the Chrysalids could be.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Crowetron posted:

I, on the other hand, want Final Fight starring Jake Muller and Helena (Harper?).

Characterization aside, Helena's got a hydra and cool melee attacks, what more can you ask for? And Jake needs a "clean up your dad's mess" deal. Let the newbies have the next game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Vanrushal posted:

Characterization aside, Helena's got a hydra and cool melee attacks, what more can you ask for? And Jake needs a "clean up your dad's mess" deal. Let the newbies have the next game.

I genuinely like Helena, but there's no doubt she's bound for the Island of Misfit Sidekicks with Carlos and Sheva. Jake and Sherry seem to be set-up as the next generation of RE Protagonists, but it's probably just gonna be Leon and Chris punching zombies until they're 90 years old.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I basically just want Dark Souls: Raccoon City

I was playing Dark Souls 2 the other day and thinking about what a modern-set game with similar mechanics would be like, and it made me realize how effective it could be for a horror game.

Like not literally identical, and it wouldn't even necessarily need to be as hard as that or feature PvP, but imagine the scenario of RE2/3 done like Dark Souls: you're planted on the streets of Raccoon after a similar arrival cutscene, but instead of a linear path to it you have several branching streets to choose from and potential side bosses to tangle with, instead of leveling up you just uses resources from enemies to cobble together better guns/melee weapons, and in general just keep the sense of danger from Dark Souls where you need to always be alert (run down a hallway too fast? a licker is in front of you AND one drops down behind you from the ceiling, but if you took your time you could spot it and take it out before moving on). If you did include an equivalent of PvP or covenants, you could have joinable factions like civilians, military leftovers, and maybe an extremely hard to get Umbrella special forces one (maybe if you kill a bunch of fellow survivors and do rear end in a top hat things). In terms of PvP, it'd be doable via a walkie talkie item; use it and you get a canned transmission from your covenant and a fade in/fade out transports you to whatever covenant area.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'd love a RE game where you could just run into other players and you wouldn't know if they were friend or foe - it'd be a lot better survival scenario instead of the usual "you're the only one left alive in zombie town, if you do run into anyone they'll be dead by the end of their cutscene."

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I miss old Jill. She was a pretty cool character, I thought. She made a baseball cap look attractive and also she killed a lot of zombies singlehandedly. I liked her in MVC2 and I am sad that Beret Jill is gone forever thanks to Insane Blonde Ninja Jill.

she was the master of unlocking my heart

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So how are the books? Apparently they're crazy enough that they single-handedly turned Rebecca into a fan favorite? And are completely insane, even in RE terms? Least that's what my brother tells me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Flytrap posted:

So how are the books? Apparently they're crazy enough that they single-handedly turned Rebecca into a fan favorite? And are completely insane, even in RE terms? Least that's what my brother tells me.

There is a zombie t-rex, a squad member who carries a live world war 2 grenade around her neck like a good luck charm, and a scorpion/hunter/something else hybrid that fights in an underground super-testing site that exists so a book can be game of death but resident evil.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Barudak posted:

There is a zombie t-rex, a squad member who carries a live world war 2 grenade around her neck like a good luck charm, and a scorpion/hunter/something else hybrid that fights in an underground super-testing site that exists so a book can be game of death but resident evil.

That definitely sound like something I need to be reading.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Flytrap posted:

That definitely sound like something I need to be reading.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh. I think the consensus in these threads is that the 'novelizations' of the games are okay, but the 'original' stories are really just mediocre 'and then the protagonists from RE1 and RE2 all joined up together to go on missions' fanfiction. I vaguely recall Jill's back-story being that she had a master thief for a father, a part where the team Rebecca was on frantically trying to access a computer by solving a lot of riddles in a time limit, Leon(?) and his new pal, some random-rear end custodian, fighting their way through a series of themed BOW testing areas, and some idiot getting themself infected because they touched a bloody gurney, then rubbed their eye.

And don't let 'zombie T-Rex' fool you. We got that in RE6, and look how that turned out...

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhh. I think the consensus in these threads is that the 'novelizations' of the games are okay, but the 'original' stories are really just mediocre 'and then the protagonists from RE1 and RE2 all joined up together to go on missions' fanfiction. I vaguely recall Jill's back-story being that she had a master thief for a father, a part where the team Rebecca was on frantically trying to access a computer by solving a lot of riddles in a time limit, Leon(?) and his new pal, some random-rear end custodian, fighting their way through a series of themed BOW testing areas, and some idiot getting themself infected because they touched a bloody gurney, then rubbed their eye.

And don't let 'zombie T-Rex' fool you. We got that in RE6, and look how that turned out...

Still sounds like something I need to read. And the worst I could say about the RE6 fight is that it dragged on a bit too long, I still had a fukken smile on my face the whole fight.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Flytrap posted:

Still sounds like something I need to read. And the worst I could say about the RE6 fight is that it dragged on a bit too long, I still had a fukken smile on my face the whole fight.

The writing is the caliber of Resident Evil writing but in book form. Its stupid, non-sensical, and reliably has typos.

I got the books for a buck a pop and boy was it worth it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I enjoyed the first and third books, the adaptations of RE1 and 2, but then again I was a teen who wasn't allowed to play the games, so that was the closest I could get. I haven't read the original ones, but honestly they sound like a lot of (stupid) fun.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I seem to remember the novels entertaining in a "what the gently caress" way, though nothing beats the 90s Doom books for that: the first book is a straight up adaptation of Doom 1 focusing on crazy action hijinks, the second one is Doom 2 but with the twist that demons are actually alien invaders, and book three and four introduces...well, this:

Wikipedia: Doom novels posted:

Arriving at the alien base, later revealed to be beyond the orbit of Pluto, Fly, Arlene, and Albert encounter several alien species, although the only alien to pay any attention to the humans is Sears and Roebuck. The marines learn that humanity is of little interest to most of the aliens; the invasion of earth being of little more than a strategic move during a quiet period in an intergalactic war. This war is fought between two opposing schools of literary thought (hyperrealists and deconstructionists) over eleven pieces of prose left behind by the long deceased alien race responsible for building the Gates.

....Arriving on "Fredworld", the quartet find the planet deserted. They learn from reanimating a Fred body that the planet was invaded by the "Newbies", a new race of aliens that learn and evolve at an even more rapid rate than humans.

....The quartet survive the crash and seek out the weapon and the Newbies, discovering humans instead. They are captured and taken to a human starship, where Fly and Arlene learn that the Fred invasion is over, although humanity has become a communistic race with completely automated labor, exhibiting extreme amounts of social atomism and an extreme fear of death—but nonetheless, with its own interstellar travel, space fleet, artificial gravity and ray weapons. However, the marines also discover that the Newbies have evolved into virus-like, yet conscious beings and have infected the humans on the ship, taking control of them, and intend to do the same with the rest of the human race. Fly figures out that a human with faith in something (anything) cannot be "infected", "disinfects" a few dozens of humans on the ship by converting them [to Mormonism], and stages a rebellion.

....Landing at Salt Lake City (destroyed by nuclear weapons in the third novel and rebuilt after the invasion), Fly and Arlene head to the Tabernacle to find out what happened to Jill and Albert. The pair encounter an AI based on Jill's personality, guiding them to an underground facility. There, they find a nude clone of Jill in stasis and ready to be woken up, and a black box with a glowing orange light simply labeled as "Albert", which presumably contains his consciousness (Fly and Arlene discover that Albert spent many years researching a way to extend the human lifespan so that he would be able to see Arlene again). Arlene is visibly overwhelmed by the realization of this, and the book series abruptly ends on this note.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Doom is a gold mine of awesome 90s poo poo. The comic had that infamous "RIP AND TEAR" scene that is just so brutally violent. Games just never quite reached the level Doom did. They tried to recreate it with Doom 3 and god it was just so bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The amazing thing about the Doom books is that the first is about as viable a novel as you can get out of Doom and everything afterwards is completely loving insane.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Barudak posted:

You forgot Rebecca being super special awesome at everything she's so cool WHY DON'T ANY OF YOU MOTHERFUCKERS LIKE HER YET and characters underreacting to just about everything.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You forgot Rebecca being super special awesome at everything she's so cool WHY DON'T ANY OF YOU MOTHERFUCKERS LIKE HER YET and characters underreacting to just about everything.

rebecca is definitely the Cutest Resident

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The series needs more characters like Parker, give me less pretty men doing flippy doos and more dudes that hit zombies almost as hard as they hit the catering table. Everyone in Rev had visually impressive melee attacks, and then here came Parker with the lazy as poo poo lariat that worked because he was large.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm always going to be fascinated with the Resident Evil novels if only for how thoroughly they were disavowed in RE3. Every single thing Perry did to try to broaden the game's universe got systematically torpedoed. It's still the only time I've ever seen a core work tear down its own expanded universe.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wanderer posted:

I'm always going to be fascinated with the Resident Evil novels if only for how thoroughly they were disavowed in RE3. Every single thing Perry did to try to broaden the game's universe got systematically torpedoed. It's still the only time I've ever seen a core work tear down its own expanded universe.

How so? I didn't think 3 was heavy on plot.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Wanderer posted:

Not familiar with star wars eh

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

How so? I didn't think 3 was heavy on plot.

Off the top of my head, Perry gave Jill a backstory and filled in a bunch of details about Raccoon City, like where it was (Perry's Raccoon City is apparently in rural Pennsylvania), how many people were in it, when the outbreak took place, and how the outbreak ended. RE3 goes through and contradicts all of it in one way or another, with a thoroughness that suggests deliberation.

For the RE2 and RE3 novelizations, Perry also went with the game endings that were later established to not be canon. Basically, I think the novels really annoyed somebody at Capcom Japan.

Relin posted:

Not familiar with star wars eh

Yeah, I forgot about that. In my defense, I don't really follow that series.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

George Lucas is the proud owner and tyrannical dictator of the most influential fluke of all time.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I never knew the depth's of George's utter insanity till I read an interview regarding a darth maul game that never was, people where told stuff like don't say no to him, don't mention the force unleashed guy, don't tell him how the force works, when asked in another meeting about a darth name for the force unleashed guy he offered darth icky and darth insidious.

Then when they pitched the Maul game, Lucas told them, na let's make this one instead, a coop game with Darth Maul and Darth Talon, one problem though, both of them are separated by like a hundred years.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I never knew the depth's of George's utter insanity till I read an interview regarding a darth maul game that never was, people where told stuff like don't say no to him, don't mention the force unleashed guy, don't tell him how the force works, when asked in another meeting about a darth name for the force unleashed guy he offered darth icky and darth insidious.

Then when they pitched the Maul game, Lucas told them, na let's make this one instead, a coop game with Darth Maul and Darth Talon, one problem though, both of them are separated by like a hundred years.

his suggestions for indiana jones 4 included "giant ant invasion" and "it was aliens" and they just went with aliens because even that is less stupid than "Indy Meets THEM!" in this day and age.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Wanderer posted:

That is SOP for Capcom.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I did always enjoy the disclaimers at the beginning of the later Resident Evil books. Like people expected them to ignore the games' continuity or something? I don't know what the point was other than to make the earlier books look bad. I need to break them out and see how well they hold up :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I used to be a total RE nerd but somewhere along the time Damnation and RE6 came out and I just didn't give a poo poo, I realized I had outgrown the series.
There is one thing I still appreciate about them though and that is the music. Plots, characters, gameplay, all varying degrees of bad but the soundtracks are usually pretty good and some are even great.

I am just kinda curious if anyone in here has a favorite RE soundtrack or soundtracks?

For me it's RE2, 0 and Outbreak 1. Code Veronica was in third place but then I remembered how good Outbreak was.

e:

A Bystander posted:

I remember reading something about Jill's actress studying the character's movement to fit the role better, so there's that. It was a long time ago, though, and possibly bullshit.

She talks about that in the actors' commentary track for Apocalypse. I would almost recommend the DVDs just for the commentary tracks. RE1 is great because Jovovich and Rodriguez are talking over Anderson and the producer as the latter two try to explain all the serious movie-making stuff. In Apocalypse, Milla and Carlos' actor commentate together and every now and then it switches to Jill's actress. Jill's actress is all super-serious about the work she put into the role and how much she likes the character of Jill. Meanwhile "Alice and Carlos" are just laughing up everything.

Milla Jovovich is a cool lady. She's one of the few celebrities I'd genuinely just like to hang out and chill with.

Wanderer posted:

Also I would accept no other voice actress for Claire besides Alyson Court. Replacing her with Monica Rial or whoever would be tantamount to heresy.

I paid no attention to RE6 but posting on RE topics again in the last week I learned they replaced both Leon and Ada's VAs for the game. Does anybody know why this is or if there's even a stated reason? They've been unusually good about keeping those two consistent. Hell, wasn't Ada's VA around since RE2 like Claire's?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 13, 2014