Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

Disco Pope posted:

When I worked for a game store during/slightly after Uni, we ended up selling Ngage games for 2p each and the console itself for some silly low price too.

I know the n-gage posts are old, but my Aunt worked for nokia, and I was in my early teens when this came out. I remember her asking me and my brother what we thought of it before it was even out. She got very offended when we both told her no one was going to want to play several year old ps-1 games on a tiny screen with junk controls. She should have listened!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

ninmeister posted:

Wow, I thought the DX4's stopped at 100MHz. I had a DX4 75, because my motherboard didn't support the 100. These were the Overdrive chips. With 8 megs of ram. Awwww yeahhhh.

Intel's stopped at 100MHz, since they didn't want to compete with their own Pentium line. Other manufacturers went faster. I had an AMD 5x86, which was a 486 with a little extra boost due to larger, write-back L1 cache. It ran at 133MHz to perform the same as a Pentium 75, though with a little luck you could overclock to 160MHz for P90 performance.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Killer robot posted:

Intel's stopped at 100MHz, since they didn't want to compete with their own Pentium line. Other manufacturers went faster. I had an AMD 5x86, which was a 486 with a little extra boost due to larger, write-back L1 cache. It ran at 133MHz to perform the same as a Pentium 75, though with a little luck you could overclock to 160MHz for P90 performance.

It could probably also do math without screwing up, much unlike my Pentium 60.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

moller posted:

It could probably also do math without screwing up, much unlike my Pentium 60.

Astrophysicist from the early 90s spotted.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Yeah the fdiv bug was really insignificant to like 99% of users. And nobody ever talks about the F00F bug.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
I feel like my car is full of obsolete things... Manuel windows, stick shift and a zune hd (which I love).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Zig-Zag posted:

I feel like my car is full of obsolete things... Manuel windows, stick shift and a zune hd (which I love).

I don't know who Manuel is but stick shift is still a beloved feature by many people.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've never even seen an automatic before, but then again, I live in Europe.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They stopped teaching manuals at my local high school a decade ago.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Taeke posted:

I've never even seen an automatic before, but then again, I live in Europe.

Really? I live in Europe too and automatics are not as rare as people want to believe.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Zig-Zag posted:

Manual windows aren't obsolete, or at least they shouldn't be.
If I drive into a river I want to be able to open my windows, not have them short out and trap me in my soon-to-be-hearse.

Okay, sure, I can carry a glass-breaker in my glove box, but I'd rather not have the problem in the first place.
Yes, I know I could also avoid it by not driving into rivers thank you for telling me.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I learned to drive a manual. My instructor didn't believe in things like "designated instruction routes" so when I managed to stall less than half the time on the closed track he was allowed to drive me around, we were out into Moscow traffic. Fun times!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

DNova posted:

I don't know who Manuel is
Manuel Juindos was pretty famous in the 1970s tech scene, but no one has really heard from him since he sold out to Guillermo Compuertas.

I bet he's still kicking himself over that one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I see a lot of second-hand games being sold on the internet with a big "NO MANUEL!!!" text in the description and boy that Manuel must have burned a lot of sellers they should put him in jail or something.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

I learned to drive a manual. My instructor didn't believe in things like "designated instruction routes" so when I managed to stall less than half the time on the closed track he was allowed to drive me around, we were out into Moscow traffic. Fun times!
And you still live? You must be a driving god.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
I like in the UK, and while I've never personally owned or driven an automatic car, they seem pretty popular with my older relatives. Autos aren't that rare here.

Also my car is a 2010 model (SEAT Altea) and despite it having mostly all mod cons (mp3 connectivity, front and rear 12volt charger sockets etc), the rear windows are manual. Which I couldn't quite believe when I saw it. I gave up a 2004 Honda with all-electric windows for this ??

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
I would pay extra for a car with manual windows if it had automatic locks. Right now, I have one working window in my car because the other three window motors would only lower the window, not raise it and it's a pain to get them replaced. All the tricks the internet told me to try didn't work, so I had to disconnect the motors so if anyone tried to open a window it wouldn't get stuck.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I learned manual transmission as well, in the mid-90s- I'm on my fourth car now, and it's my first car with automatic transmission, power windows, and a key fob... it is, however, a 1994 Ford Taurus, the oldest car I've ever owned.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DNova posted:

I don't know who Manuel is but stick shift is still a beloved feature by many people.

They're not my windows. :colbert:

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Electric windows are terrible, they're so agonisingly slow and often only work with the ignition on. It's not a deal breaker but I'd take the winder any day.

I'll accept that manual gearboxes are almost obsolete now that modern automatics have reduced or removed the economy and performance penalties of a traditional auto, but they're still hideously complicated pieces of machinery compared to a manual box and I don't expect them to ever replace manuals across the board.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Winding down the window doesn't work if the car is submerged in water anyway. The pressure differential is too great. You're better off having a glass breaker either way.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there even any advantage to having a manual transmission, as far as the end user is concerned? They look like the most needlessly complicated things, and god help if you there are lots of hills where you live.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wanamingo posted:

Is there even any advantage to having a manual transmission, as far as the end user is concerned? They look like the most needlessly complicated things, and god help if you there are lots of hills where you live.

If memory serves automatics sometimes gently caress up and manuals get better fuel economy. Automatics are also mechanically more complex.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Wanamingo posted:

Is there even any advantage to having a manual transmission, as far as the end user is concerned?

Nobody will bother you to borrow your car?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

I live in San Fran and automatics are annoying as hell. No engine braking so you have to constantly be feathering the brakes down hills and up hills they upshift way too early and leave you with no power unless you floor it and wait for it to finally get the message. Once you've been driving manual long enough you don't have to think about it, automatics only have downsides to me. It's like having a blind and deaf man shift for you.

It's also a great excuse not to lend bad drivers your car without having to hurt their feelings.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Wanamingo posted:

Used to be that there was a bigger gap in fuel economy between manual and automatic equipped cars. Now, there are some cars where the automatic's mileage is as good or better. Also for those interested in performance, it wasn't odd for a competent driver to pull quarter mile times a half second faster (or more) with a manual than in a similarly equipped car with a slushbox .

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves automatics sometimes gently caress up and manuals get better fuel economy. Automatics are also mechanically more complex.

If your battery dies, you can get a push start in a manual, As far as gas mileage goes, if you aren't that good at shifting, your mileage may actually vary.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DNova posted:

Really? I live in Europe too and automatics are not as rare as people want to believe.
If you drive an automatic in europe (and don't have some handicap that makes using a clutch and shifter hard for you) it either means you're old or lazy.

In Sweden if you take your driver's license test in an automatic car you get a mark of shame on your license.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
In the UK, if you learn on an automatic, your license does not allow you to drive a manual car. If you learn on a manual, you can drive any kind of car.

Frankly, I don't know why you wouldn't drive manual cars. The control that you have over the cars behaviour is much more fine-grained, because — as mentioned — you have things like engine braking. It also makes overtaking easier, because you can set the gears up so that a downshift will put you just below the peak torque RPM for the car, allowing you to pull out more quickly.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Here in Ireland automatics are ultra-rare.

Autos are pretty much just full-car sized go-karts as far as we're concerned. We also have the thing were if you learn on an automatic you can't drive a manual but if you learn on a manual you can drive whatever.

I sort of learned to drive intially by riding motorbikes (that will make sense to some people) so manual transmission cars are superior for me.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Personally I like stick shifts because of the control you have over the vehicle. Plus being able to save on gas if you drive them right. I live in america and its almost impossible to finds newer cars with manual transmission. Most lots have maybe 5 at most and are always older or used vehicles.

Edit: I just got a new clutch installed too. O man it is soooo smooth

Zig-Zag has a new favorite as of 00:10 on May 12, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wanamingo posted:

Automatics and manuals are both compromises: the engine's only going to deliver peak torque in a narrow rpm range so you need a way to keep the engine in that rpm range over a wide range of vehicle speeds.

Historically, manual transmissions were more efficient: automatics used torque converters which waste energy in the fluid coupling. Automatics were also more mechanically complex, so you didn't see them with as many gears. And, again due mainly to the torque converter, they couldn't handle as much input power as contemporary manuals (there were exceptions to this; the '53 Corvette infamously came with a two-speed automatic because Chevy didn't have a manual capable of handling 150 horsepower).

Most of these disadvantages have decreased or disappeared. Automatics are still mechanically complex, but they're a mature technology and you see luxury cars with 7- or even 8-speed automatics, which means that "a manual gets better mileage" isn't necessarily true anymore.

The advantage of a manual in my opinion is that it allows you to anticipate. An automatic only knows what you're doing with the car *now*, it doesn't know what you're planning on doing. Highway passing in an automatic is annoying; you need to give the car enough gas for the ECU to realize "Hey, this guy must want to pass," and then wait for it to downshift. With a manual, you just downshift and go. You can downshift ahead of turns to be in the right gear to accelerate out of the turn. And I'm not sure why you think manuals are annoying on hills, they're a downright pleasure, because you don't even have to touch the brakes: just put it in whichever gear limits your speed as you descend, and then just throw it into a higher gear as you reach the bottom. Driving in hilly country with an automatic is really annoying by comparison (of course, sitting in stop-and-go traffic is more annoying with a manual).

Again, they're both compromises. Ideally you'd want an engine with a completely flat torque curve that delivers the same torque no matter how fast it's spinning, but that's not really possible. The electric motors in things like the Tesla, which deliver maximum torque at 0rpm, are neat and that's one of the things that makes them so mechanically simple: the transmission is just a single fixed gear. But even that doesn't give you the anticipatory abilities of a manual.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Horace posted:

Electric windows are terrible, they're so agonisingly slow and often only work with the ignition on. It's not a deal breaker but I'd take the winder any day.

The first part is definitely not true - electric windows are usually a lot faster than manual winders (unless something is wrong with them).

As for manual vs auto - I would prefer an manual but on my car it would have cost thousands more as they're far more sought after in the second hand market (mainly due to scarcity)

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I just can't seem to grasp manual, I've tried to learn it for 12 years now, but it just doesn't go smooth at all. Lots of jerking around. I guess it's not for eveyrone.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Datasmurf posted:

I just can't seem to grasp manual, I've tried to learn it for 12 years now, but it just doesn't go smooth at all. Lots of jerking around. I guess it's not for eveyrone.

Shouldn't have tried it on a BMW they have poo poo clutches :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sudo Echo posted:

I live in San Fran and automatics are annoying as hell. No engine braking so you have to constantly be feathering the brakes down hills and up hills

you know you can move the gear selector down to "2" or "1" to make it stay in lower gears, right

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

you know you can move the gear selector down to "2" or "1" to make it stay in lower gears, right

That sort of knowledge is available to only the privileged few who can read the manual. :ironicat:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Yeah this is a thing I didn't know until last winter, when I needed to restrict it to 1st gear in order to get out of the snowy uphill that is the only access to my apartment complex.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

dissss posted:

The first part is definitely not true - electric windows are usually a lot faster than manual winders (unless something is wrong with them).

As for manual vs auto - I would prefer an manual but on my car it would have cost thousands more as they're far more sought after in the second hand market (mainly due to scarcity)

I don't doubt there are poorly designed manual windows out there, but I've driven a lot of new cars with slow windows. They usually take about three seconds to close completely, you can spin a handle round a few times a lot quicker than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

atomicthumbs posted:

Yeah. It'd be one hell of a hill indeed that that's what you'd want to do, though. And if it has a "3" you can use that for a passing gear. But if that's what you're going to do, probably you should just get a manual.