Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I thought Castaway in Dimension Z was very good, but it sort of dropped off in quality after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. I thought it would pick right up with the reveal of Dr. Mindbubble, but it just didn't.
How crazy and entertaining could you make your comic with that as an antagonist? I don't get it, especially with the fun insanity he's putting into Uncanny Avengers at the same time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 11, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So, I've been watching Batman Beyond for the first time since I was a kid and I had one question in particular I couldn't find an answer to...
In the Batman Beyond story, what happened to Dick Grayson? The only mention of him ~12 episodes in was a grimace when Terry was asking Bruce about what the initials "D.G." meant on the tag of a coat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Razzled posted:

So, I've been watching Batman Beyond for the first time since I was a kid and I had one question in particular I couldn't find an answer to...
In the Batman Beyond story, what happened to Dick Grayson? The only mention of him ~12 episodes in was a grimace when Terry was asking Bruce about what the initials "D.G." meant on the tag of a coat.

From what I remember, they're never that clear but they imply that Dick and Bruce had a falling out over the fact that Bruce and Barbara got together. At least until the whole Joker incident.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

muscles like this? posted:

From what I remember, they're never that clear but they imply that Dick and Bruce had a falling out over the fact that Bruce and Barbara got together. At least until the whole Joker incident.

Oh daaam. ok thanks. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something crazy like he died or some poo poo

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Has Gambit ever charged up someone's costume?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Razzled posted:

Oh daaam. ok thanks. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something crazy like he died or some poo poo

Return of the Joker at least made it clear that Grayson was still alive during that time.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Waterhaul posted:

Maybe he just really likes writing comics.

Really who get's into writing comics now a days to get rich? Almost everybody who gets into it are fans that love the medium (or think that it's easier to get a movie/series picked up by a studio with a comic).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

From what I remember, they're never that clear but they imply that Dick and Bruce had a falling out over the fact that Bruce and Barbara got together.

Still the creepiest thing in the entire DCAU.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Counterpoint: The episode of TNBA where Barbara gets Fear Toxin'd and imagines her own death and the entire Bat-family's death/capture.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Little Mac posted:

Has Gambit ever charged up someone's costume?

I have a vague memory of Gambit charging up someone's boot sole to give them a likely-unintentional super jump boost in his 90s solo series. It was probably Wolverine, I think half that book was Remy dicking around with Logan.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Can someone tell me what issues show Venom joining the Guardians? I've somehow missed this.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

hadji murad posted:

Can someone tell me what issues show Venom joining the Guardians? I've somehow missed this.

There aren't any really. The Free Comic Book Day issue of Guardians has Cap telling him to go to space "because" and that's basically it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, isn't DCAU Barbara older than the comic version? I'm pretty sure she didn't become Batgirl until she was in college/out of high school.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Eh, isn't DCAU Barbara older than the comic version? I'm pretty sure she didn't become Batgirl until she was in college/out of high school.

Yeah, by the time she and Bruce got together she would've been at least mid-20s, probably late 20s against Bruce's mid to late 30s. Not exactly a May-December setup.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

When he met her she still carried a teddy bear around. It's loving creepy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Has Superman ever had any formal training as a fighter, or has he always been a "hit them very hard" kind of guy?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Madkal posted:

Has Superman ever had any formal training as a fighter, or has he always been a "hit them very hard" kind of guy?

Has he ever displayed any other technique besides "punch, fly fast and punch and/or grapple" in the comics? I don't think I've seen superman kick somebody now that I think about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

He did fight the greatest

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

He's been trained by Batman, but doesn't show it very often because "hit them very hard" tends to work for him. He busted it out against Zod's troops in New Krypton.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think in some versions he's learned Kryptonian martial arts. I might mistaken, though.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

CapnAndy posted:

He's been trained by Batman, but doesn't show it very often because "hit them very hard" tends to work for him. He busted it out against Zod's troops in New Krypton.

I love how many dudes either Batman or Wildcat has trained. It's like how everybody who ever had a cup of coffee at the Avengers mansion got trained in hand to hand combat by Captain America.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Previous versions of Ssuperman have used martial arts like Klurkor or Torquasm Rao, Kryptonian martial arts, or Torquasm Vo, which allows one to engage in meditative astral dream battles (really). There's also always Horo-Kanu, which is a Kryptonian martial art having to do with pressure points, but Superman didn't practice it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Karma Tornado posted:

I love how many dudes either Batman or Wildcat has trained. It's like how everybody who ever had a cup of coffee at the Avengers mansion got trained in hand to hand combat by Captain America.

Him or Wolverine. You know how you can tell if someone has been trained by Cap or Wolverine? They'll loving tell you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Really though, if they didn't, how often would "how come Batman/Wildcat/Captain America/Wolverine/wheover is just sitting around and nobody takes advantage of the opportunity to be trained by them" come up?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

Really though, if they didn't, how often would "how come Batman/Wildcat/Captain America/Wolverine/wheover is just sitting around and nobody takes advantage of the opportunity to be trained by them" come up?

I don't know Wildcat, but Batman and Wolverine could easily be big dicks and refuse to help anybody out. Cap, however, is a boy scout. He's got no choice.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

prefect posted:

I don't know Wildcat, but Batman and Wolverine could easily be big dicks and refuse to help anybody out. Cap, however, is a boy scout. He's got no choice.

Every time Batman trains somebody, he'll leave something out in case he ever has to fight them. Then he can go "I TAUGHT you EVERYTHING YOU KNOW, but not everything I know" and then knocks them out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dan Jurgens used to write in unique uses of Superman's powers that stemmed from his days growing up in Smallville.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rhyno posted:

Dan Jurgens used to write in unique uses of Superman's powers that stemmed from his days growing up in Smallville.

"Great Scott! The only way for me to defeat Titanio is to use my Super-Cow Tipping powers."

Next issue: Superman must tap into the ancestral Smallville art of making Moon-shine to take out Black Adam!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Question IRL posted:

"Great Scott! The only way for me to defeat Titanio is to use my Super-Cow Tipping powers."

Next issue: Superman must tap into the ancestral Smallville art of making Moon-shine to take out Black Adam!

Thanks to Reed Richards those cows are Skrulls. :doom:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

It had to happen! The Superman/Terra Man team-up you've all been waiting for! Because you demanded it!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi guys. I was looking for the most appropriate thread for these questions, and this seems to be it, although having read through, my questions aren't very similar to the ones about comic book content and discussion of the comic book industry. So please tell me to go pound sand if I'm off base.

1: Bags and Boards
I have a collection of maybe two to three thousand comic books. It started with books I was collecting when I was a kid (mid-1980s), but I've since added my stepdad's collection (mostly 1970s books), my friend gave me his collection (a bunch of 1990s stuff, with some exceptions), another friend gave me his castoffs (a wide range from early 1970s through maybe 1995), and recently I picked up a bunch of books from an antique store that had bought some guy's collection at an estate sale.

Basically they are all over the map in terms of age, size, value, and condition. One friend's books were all meticulously bagged and boarded, although unfortunately I think those are also the ones with the least value (the mid-90s stuff, mostly transformers, GI Joe, and Groo). My original core stuff was mostly never bagged or boarded, and was also heavily read, so they're in poorer condition and most of them are also not worth much even in near mint. Of the earlier books, though, some were bagged, some weren't, and quite a few are clearly worth preserving (books that even in Good to Fine+ are worth $10+).

So recently I started putting this mess into order (literally and figuratively), and bagging & boarding everything. I don't have time to look up every single issue to see if it's worth much, so I'm just doing all of them at once.

I started with boards from my local shop, which are these nice BCW ones, plus a couple hundred bags that I probably bought 15+ years ago and never used. I quickly had to get some silver age sized bags & boards, and since my local shop was out of them for three weeks straight I finally just ordered them off Amazon. Now I've gone through all my modern-sized bags and boards (200+) and realized I need a LOT more, and I figured out that even paying for shipping, I could get them a lot cheaper from a place called "Square Deal Online" here in California.

But, that's when I suddenly realized that these bags come in different materials. A little research suggests that only Mylar bags are "100% archival" but they're also ridiculously expensive. I ordered some polypropylene bags, but now I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

Does BSS have a favored bag material, and/or source? Should I spring for the extra-expensive Mylar bags for everything, or maybe just for the books that are reasonably valuable, or is it snake oil and polypropylene is fine? What is the difference between regular polypropylene and "cast" polypropylene? What about PVC, is it really the Devil?

2: Grading
I have a rough understanding of the older-fashioned grading scale (which went from poor, through good, very good, fine, very fine, etc.) and that now we use a 10-point scale, and I've read several different descriptions for exactly what a 9.5 is or a 8.0 or whatever. My trouble is that I don't feel confident I'm grading my own books appropriately. I know my bias is obviously to grade them higher, especially when I have books where the difference between a 6 and an 8 could be a hundred bucks. These text descriptions seem to leave a lot open to interpretation - like, I can tell if the spine has some tiny creases that are less than a quarter inch, but how many such creases are enough to bump something down from an 8.5 to a 7.5, if there's also some wear on a corner? What if a book from 1971 has some mild yellowing, one staple is a little loose, and the spine is curled, but the cover is still nice and glossy, but the corner of the back cover has a bad crease...

I know for the valuable books I could send them off to CGC to be slabbed, but most of the books I'd do that with, it's going to be pretty marginal whether it's worth the cost or not. Like, books where a 7 or better it would be well worth it, but a 6.5 or worse it wouldn't, and I really can't tell which side of that line the book lands on. I also kind of want to be able to keep reading some of these, and while I could invest in having them graded & slabbed, and then invest some more for some "reader" copies of the same issues, it's a lot of time and effort.

I asked at my local shop and they said they don't do grading. They said I could pay someone an hourly rate to "evaluate" my collection, which I might still do just to try and get something as an insurance value for the collection as a whole, but that's not really going to help me individually evaluate books that I intend to sell or have graded.

So I guess what I really want is some kind of grading guide that has tons of photos or a HD video or something with examples? And maybe include a discussion of how age affects grade, like I get the impression that a book from 1968 is given a bit more forgiveness for yellowing on the pages than a book from 1998 would be. And if that's not available, is there any middle ground between "do it yourself and just guesstimate" and "spend $30+ per book to have CGC grade and slab it"?

3: Price Guides
When I was a kid if you wanted a price guide you bought that year's Overstreet. I had the strong impression even then that Overstreet's numbers were basically bullshit, based on surveys of only the most prolific and large comic book shops that bothered to keep such good records of every used comic sale that they could provide three sales of Very Fine copies of West Coast Avengers #12. Nowadays I suspect data sources are much better (because probably most stores have electronic records) but still maybe lean towards higher prices (because for every issue that is individually sold at a specific grade on eBay, at a good store, or through comicspriceguide.com, there's another three that are sold from a box under a table at a comic book convention, from a box under a table at a garage sale, or rescued from the extra-discount section at Half Price Books, which info never gets reported to any sales data accumulator).

So... if I look up a book on comicspriceguide.com, and I figure it's probably a 7, and the site says the book is worth $1.. that's probably shite, right? It's actually more like 25 cents? I figure the prices on the actually-collector's level, like books worth $30+, are more likely to accurately reflect the market, but I'm still assuming that's full retail from a store pricing and not eBay/goon discount/bundled pricing from a non-premium source. Is that fair?

I'm actually interested in two values: one for insurance purposes, and one for actually maybe selling off a portion of my collection. I'm not looking at these comics as an "investment" but there's a bunch that I don't care about, and the sheer size of the collection is making it annoying to store. Especially as I get them bagged and boarded, and they expand to take up more and more boxes.

4: Collection software
Is there a BSS-favored application for tracking one's books? I only want to do the data entry once. I can easily do it in a spreadsheet (I'm good at spreadsheets). I see I can put my collection into comicspriceguide.com, I bet there's other online places too. I'd want at a minimum to be able to track titles, number of each I have, and condition (but be allowed to put in an entry without entering a condition). It'd be nice if the application automatically gives me an estimated value, and it'd also be nice if it automatically tells me things like "first appearance of Beetle Man" or whatever. Another added bonus would be automatically flagging a bunch for sale, or keeping track of what I've sold. Maybe what I paid for it, and what I sold it for.

Thanks for your help.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I buy whatever the local shop has for bags and boards. Don't know what they're made of, but say Archival Safe. They made by Ultra-Pro and Silver Age sized so I can stick a few comics in together instead of one per bag. The boards are from Southern Hobby Supply. I spend $16/100 of each. I mainly just bag and board stuff as it's easier to handle, but haven't had any issues with either the last 7 or so years I've been collecting.

If you have a book you think is worth anything, check eBay. Books are worth only what someone will pay for it, so guides about what it's "supposed" to be worth are pretty useless.

Most people tend to go to ComicBookDB for book tracking/information. It's user created, so if something is missing, you can just add it yourself. You can output the data into a spreadsheet if you want to do spreadsheet stuff to it. The site hasn't been getting updated much (ie, new features, I think it could use a facelift, etc), but new comics are added regularly, the database is pretty solid, and the admin fixes problems when they crop up.

I don't think there's a lot of collecting/grading going on here. Good luck on getting help with that.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Vincent posted:

Has he ever displayed any other technique besides "punch, fly fast and punch and/or grapple" in the comics? I don't think I've seen superman kick somebody now that I think about it.

Well, it's not fighting technique, but he did dance a bomb to pieces once.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Karma Tornado posted:

Every time Batman trains somebody, he'll leave something out in case he ever has to fight them. Then he can go "I TAUGHT you EVERYTHING YOU KNOW, but not everything I know" and then knocks them out.

Just once I want someone to be like "Batman didn't teach me everything HE knew, and Wildcat didn't teach me everything he knew EITHER, but Ted DID teach me something Bruce DOESN'T know!" *squirts bottle of siracha in his face*

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

McSpanky posted:

Just once I want someone to be like "Batman didn't teach me everything HE knew, and Wildcat didn't teach me everything he knew EITHER, but Ted DID teach me something Bruce DOESN'T know!" *squirts bottle of siracha in his face*

A little long for a one liner, try a quippy "You weren't my only teacher." *pokes Batman in the eye with a violin bow*

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uthor posted:

I buy whatever the local shop has for bags and boards. Don't know what they're made of, but say Archival Safe. They made by Ultra-Pro and Silver Age sized so I can stick a few comics in together instead of one per bag. The boards are from Southern Hobby Supply. I spend $16/100 of each. I mainly just bag and board stuff as it's easier to handle, but haven't had any issues with either the last 7 or so years I've been collecting.

OK, you might look into the BCE backing boards: 100 silver age boards are $13.44 on Amazon (prime). Amazon claims the Ultra Pro bags are made of polypropylene. I would guess that they're basically the same as the BCE bags, and they're a bit cheaper, so that's a thing.

I do have some silver-age size but I went with modern mostly because it's slightly cheaper, and when you're bagging & boarding a thousand+ comics, a couple bucks per 100 adds up. It's funny actually, how much variation there is in comic book height and width. I've found a lot of comics that fit the "modern" sized bags with lots of room to spare, and some that are exact fits. And occasionally one I need to stick in a silver age bag even though it's newer than the supposed end of the silver age - usually King Size Annual or something from like 1983.

quote:

If you have a book you think is worth anything, check eBay. Books are worth only what someone will pay for it, so guides about what it's "supposed" to be worth are pretty useless.

eBay has three issues for me. First, what something is listed at/buy it now is not necessarily what it sells for, so you really have to just watch auctions and see what the final sale price was, assuming it sold at all. Second, condition; if I can't really judge the condition of my own book accurately, it's hard to find one for sale at the same condition... and honestly in most cases the one for sale on eBay is going to be in better condition. Often for the rarer books it's a slabbed copy that I can't use for price comparison. Third, I have probably 200+ books worth $10+, and maybe 25+ books worth $50+. It's going to be a big time committment to figure out their prices from eBay, which is why I was hoping that there's an online lookup I can do that is both fast and reasonably price-accurate.

quote:

Most people tend to go to ComicBookDB for book tracking/information. It's user created, so if something is missing, you can just add it yourself. You can output the data into a spreadsheet if you want to do spreadsheet stuff to it. The site hasn't been getting updated much (ie, new features, I think it could use a facelift, etc), but new comics are added regularly, the database is pretty solid, and the admin fixes problems when they crop up.

I don't think there's a lot of collecting/grading going on here. Good luck on getting help with that.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check out ComicBookDB. I'm sort of surprised that with the breadth of BSS, there's no thread about the collecting/grading side of the hobby. Maybe it's due to the age range of BSSers? Not as much interest in the silver age and older books that are somewhat more expensive to collect?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 13, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I'm sort of surprised that with the breadth of BSS, there's no thread about the collecting/grading side of the hobby.
Big waste of time, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Big waste of time, IMO.

I agree but we get quite a few people coming into this and the CHat thread asking about it.