Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I like Cable as a character (specifically in stuff like "Burned Offering") bit a lot of his stuff is realllly bad. Any suggestions on good Cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Now I'm hungry for more. I have a few different new recommendations I'm looking for. I mainly read through Marvel Unlimited, so if I can read it through that, I'm happy,

You could check out Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF. It's not really comparable in tone, but it is the same kind of awesome long-form, single author run with a really interesting, complex (for a superhero comic) story and well-written character progression.

I'd put it alongside UXF as one of the best runs I've read since I started getting into comics a few years ago.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Remender's new creator-owned work through Image is Deadly Class, and it's really good. It's typically described as "Harry Potter but in a school for assassins", but is so much better than that.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Shitshow posted:

Remender's new creator-owned work through Image is Deadly Class, and it's really good. It's typically described as "Harry Potter but in a school for assassins", but is so much better than that.
First issue is free on Comixology for those who are interested in checking this out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Moriatti posted:

I like Cable as a character (specifically in stuff like "Burned Offering") bit a lot of his stuff is realllly bad. Any suggestions on good Cable?

It was never collected, but there was a fantastic late '90s run on Cable that started drawing him away from the increasingly-incomprehensible X-continuity and into the larger Marvel Universe as a whole.

This all started with James Robinson, currently on a hot streak from writing DC's Starman, writing Cable's issue "-1" (from a month where Marvel released #-1 issues of every series) and #45-50, followed by his hand-picked successor Joe Casey writing #51-70. A lot of the art from this run was by Jose Ladronn, doing an incredible Jack Kirby pastiche, much like Tom Scioli does nowadays.

Unfortunately Casey's story never got a true ending, as Rob Liefeld took over, interrupting what Robinson and Casey were building toward.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Thanks! Is this avail on Unlimited? Because I'm considering that service, and this seems like something I would gobble up.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Moriatti posted:

Thanks! Is this avail on Unlimited? Because I'm considering that service, and this seems like something I would gobble up.

It was said on the last page, but you can search the Unlimited archives yourself even as a nonsubscriber to see what's available.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

what else by Remender is worth reading?

In addition to above posts,
Uncanny Avengers is pretty much the sequel to UXF, so that. The first arc wasn't great, but it gets really great and pretty UXF'y from #6, bringing in all that Apocalypse stuff and getting Acuna on art.
The first arc of his new Captain America was a blast.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 12, 2014

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Moriatti posted:

Appears it isn't. They had me at James Robinson too.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Jeff Wiiver posted:

First issue is free on Comixology for those who are interested in checking this out.

Looks like it isn't, anymore. 99c compared to 1.99 though.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I love Deadly Class. It's a really good read!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It was never collected, but there was a fantastic late '90s run on Cable that started drawing him away from the increasingly-incomprehensible X-continuity and into the larger Marvel Universe as a whole.

This all started with James Robinson, currently on a hot streak from writing DC's Starman, writing Cable's issue "-1" (from a month where Marvel released #-1 issues of every series) and #45-50, followed by his hand-picked successor Joe Casey writing #51-70. A lot of the art from this run was by Jose Ladronn, doing an incredible Jack Kirby pastiche, much like Tom Scioli does nowadays.

Unfortunately Casey's story never got a true ending, as Rob Liefeld took over, interrupting what Robinson and Casey were building toward.

There was a "Cable and Deadpool" series for a while (early 2000s?) that was better than it had any right to be. Cable was played as a straightforward "I want to save the world" guy, and Deadpool was mostly comic relief. But it was good, honest.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hadji murad posted:

Appears it isn't. They had me at James Robinson too.
The Robinson/Casey/Ladronn run on Cable is exactly what I would have recommended as well--it's the best Cable you're ever going to get. They're also some of the most gorgeous comics out there, period.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Comic posted:

Looks like it isn't, anymore. 99c compared to 1.99 though.
Huh, when I went and looked the first time it didn't have a price and just said download next to issue one. Maybe it was free previously and I just never downloaded it. I've read the first 3 issues now and can definitely second of third this recommendation. Reminds me more of The Magicians than Harry Potter though.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
I want to read some Constantine before the show airs; is the New 52 version any good? My guess would be no, but if there are any stand out issues, I'd be willing to check em out.

Also, as for classic Hellblazer, should I just start at the beginning? Any other notable/must read arcs?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

horsepeen posted:

I want to read some Constantine before the show airs; is the New 52 version any good? My guess would be no, but if there are any stand out issues, I'd be willing to check em out.

Also, as for classic Hellblazer, should I just start at the beginning? Any other notable/must read arcs?

I love Original Sins, but you have to know its a satire of Thatchers England and its really political. Most people say start with Dangerous Habits by Garth Ennis. You also might want to read Swamp Thing by Original Writer, as he first appeared there. gently caress the 52 one.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

horsepeen posted:

is the New 52 version any good?
Ha ha!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think the entire series except Azzarello and Andy Diggle's runs are worth reading, but Original Sins is obviously the strongest part. I think it's a lot more enjoyable when you've read the rest because of how it reinvents and analyzes certain parts of the character, who was well-traveled by then. Ennis came up with the premise because it was the only thing he could figure hadn't been done with Constantine yet.

A lot of people dislike the early stuff, but I think most of it is really great, and Swamp Thing is so good you should read it for its own sake, not just because it's where Constantine got his start and had his core character traits established.

The new 52 version can eat a dick.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you want some new fifty two Constantine, there's an awesome two-parter in Charles Soule's Swamp Thing that he was in. #22-23.
It's about a town possessed by supernatural whiskey that grows on a tree. Constantine is under the spell and declares himself king with a broken bottle for a crown. It's fuckin' great.

e: And Jeff Lemire's run on Justice League Dark #0,9-23 wasn't a bad NuConstantine featured comic (though it does end out as chapters in Trinity War.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 12, 2014

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations, all.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I've been reading Rick Remender's Venom series for about a week now while having my morning coffee, and I just reached the part of the run that ties in with Spider Island. I've never read that arc, but as I near the end of these Venom issues I find myself curious. Is it worth reading? The premise feels really dumb, but it's presented well in these Venom issues, at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's Slott, so it's pretty bad and stupid and poorly paced, but it's not the very worst thing he's ever written.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just read Spider Island and most of the tie ins a few months back and Lurdiak pretty much nailed it. It's nothing great, but as far as big Marvel crossover events go it's not awful.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There is a sale on DC's 52 on comixology. For someone who doesn't read much DC, is this worth checking out?

FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com
Really digging Wood's run on Conan. Should I dive into the Savage Sword or is there some good stuff from other Dark Horse series like Cimerian or King Conan?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

There is a sale on DC's 52 on comixology. For someone who doesn't read much DC, is this worth checking out?

Yes. Without question. It's brilliant.

I can't remember if World War 3 is totally necessary. I think it just fleshes out a big battle at the end that the series sort of skips over.
Never read Four Horsemen, but I remember liking Black Adam. Think it takes place after 52.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 13, 2014

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
52 was an amazing experience to be around for when it was first released.

Its only gotten better with age.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

I liked Original Sins a lot, I've been meaning to read more of Constantines stuff. With Hellblazer being rereleased in new edition trades, I thought I'd pick up Ennis run since I also loved Preacher.

Besides Ennis run, including vol 8 which is coming out next month, I also ordered vol 2 The Devil You Know.

What I'm wanting to know is can I safely skip volumes 3 and 4 without missing anything crucial for Ennis' run. I believe one has a hippy story and the other a serial killer story.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Veg posted:

I liked Original Sins a lot, I've been meaning to read more of Constantines stuff. With Hellblazer being rereleased in new edition trades, I thought I'd pick up Ennis run since I also loved Preacher.

Besides Ennis run, including vol 8 which is coming out next month, I also ordered vol 2 The Devil You Know.

What I'm wanting to know is can I safely skip volumes 3 and 4 without missing anything crucial for Ennis' run. I believe one has a hippy story and the other a serial killer story.

Family Man is loving awesome and ties into Sandman. Volume 3 and 4 is good poo poo, but Ennis run is pretty self contained.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Family Man is loving awesome and ties into Sandman. Volume 3 and 4 is good poo poo, but Ennis run is pretty self contained.

No doubt I'll get more withdrawal symptoms and get em eventually.

LabiaBadgerTickler
Feb 12, 2014

by Ralp
Sorry if this is the wrong place but I couldn't find anywhere else on the forum to post this, and I thought maybe you guys would know best.

Anyway, I need to get shot of my collection of comics, and I was wondering if anyone here would know of a good place online that could do it (besides ebay)? Or anywhere in the UK that happens to buy second hand comics. Ideally I'm wanting to shift the whole collection in one go.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which Ultimate Marvel minis/one shots are worth it? I already know the Iron Man OSC one is garbage.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Which Ultimate Marvel minis/one shots are worth it? I already know the Iron Man OSC one is garbage.
Spider-Men was pretty fantastic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

If Bendis's name is on it, it's important. They have all been good except cataclysm

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

If Bendis's name is on it, it's important. They have all been good except cataclysm

I mean, is there anything in Ult. marvel to avoid, really? I know Ultimates 3/Ultimatum is supposed to be pretty awful, but I think I have to read it because it fucks with so much poo poo.

Back in the day I read the four ongoings through Before Ultimates 3, so I've heard Ultimatium "ruins Ultimate Marvel" until the relaunch. True? (And The only specific complaints I've heard are Blob eats Wasp and Wolverine is mean to Clint about his dead wife)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

I mean, is there anything in Ult. marvel to avoid, really? I know Ultimates 3/Ultimatum is supposed to be pretty awful, but I think I have to read it because it fucks with so much poo poo.

Back in the day I read the four ongoings through Before Ultimates 3, so I've heard Ultimatium "ruins Ultimate Marvel" until the relaunch. True? (And The only specific complaints I've heard are Blob eats Wasp and Wolverine is mean to Clint about his dead wife)

Yes the story is stupid stupid beyond belief and kills off a poo poo load if characters either stupidly or off panel. It's just a poo poo comic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Ultimatum is kind of important but Ultimates 3 is not at all. Even still, if you're just reading Spider-Man, you're not going to miss a whole lot since New York gets rebuilt basically overnight and all the ramifications are in the Spider-Man specific books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Everything Warren Ellis wrote for the Ultimate line is good, fun comics. Hickman's Hawkeye mini was decent, though a little disappointing because it sets up a cool situation that no one else does anything with. Ultimate Wolverine versus Hulk was pretty cool, and you won't have to deal with the multi-year gap between issues 2 and 3.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

zoux posted:

The plot of Ultimates 3 hinges around a leaked sex tape between Iron Man and Black Widow. It's barely relevant to the wider continuity beyond one important event that launches Ultimatum, but it's a pretty fun read in an entertainingly stupid way, and could potentially have been legitimately good if it took itself less seriously.

Ultimatum is grim, unpleasant, stupid and pointless. It "ruins Ultimate Marvel" by snuffing a tremendous amount of beloved characters. If you want to know about Ultimatum for continuity purposes, I would skip the comic and just read the lists of deaths on the Wikipedia article -- it's an entire page long on my laptop screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Saeku posted:

The plot of Ultimates 3 hinges around a leaked sex tape between Iron Man and Black Widow. It's barely relevant to the wider continuity beyond one important event that launches Ultimatum, but it's a pretty fun read in an entertainingly stupid way, and could potentially have been legitimately good if it took itself less seriously.

Ultimatum is grim, unpleasant, stupid and pointless. It "ruins Ultimate Marvel" by snuffing a tremendous amount of beloved characters. If you want to know about Ultimatum for continuity purposes, I would skip the comic and just read the lists of deaths on the Wikipedia article -- it's an entire page long on my laptop screen.

Ugh. What is Jeph Loeb's deal?