Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Reminder, we can buy EIGHT HUNDRED NH90s for that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A Melted Tarp posted:

that won't be ready until long after the last IMPEACH OBAMA bumper sticker fades into a pale white rectangle.

Bullshit, I still see Bush/Cheney 2000 stickers pretty often down here, and even the occasional Bob Dole sticker.

Then again, it's Florida; it may be different in a first-world state.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

A Melted Tarp posted:

I imagine part of the problem is that every person who ever touches so much as a rivet on those things must be paid the special "secret stuff contractor" rate.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

They also contain so many defensive electronic warfare and countermeasure packages that they barely have room for the president.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

MrYenko posted:

Here we go again...

gently caress me, we've gone insane.

(I know that article includes the cost of the VXX program, and probably shouldn't, but holy gently caress, it's only one guy. Paint a couple V-22s white and green and call it loving done.)

I presume these helicopters get transported around the US via C-17 or the like yeah? Does a V-22 fit in a C-17 for transport? Also what the intended life is for that airframe? With all the secret sauce that presumably goes into those, plus the aforementioned "secret stuff contractor" rate, surely $20 billion isnt that much?

Then again I'm Australian, so I'm not even slightly fussed that they're spending $20 billion on that program.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Can you land a V-22 on a perfectly manicured lawn and have it still be photo-op ready when the thing leave?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

FrozenVent posted:

Can you land a V-22 on a perfectly manicured lawn and have it still be photo-op ready when the thing leave?

I doubt it. They had problems with the loving thing buckling steel deck plating with the hot engine exhaust...grass wouldn't stand a chance.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I can't take anyone seriously when the bitch about Obama having some sort of input on this process (not saying anyone here is doing that). All I hear is dog whistle racism.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

A Melted Tarp posted:

And don't even get me started on how many Fiat Pandas we could buy for the cost of 1 presidential limousine :colbert:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The CF procurement of the S-92 based CH-148 has been quite the slow motion shitshow but I guess it hasn't hurt potential sales by Sikorsky!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KingPave posted:

Then again I'm Australian, so I'm not even slightly fussed that they're spending $20 billion on that program.

Well if the Daily Mail can get up in a druthers about it I can't see why the rest of the Commonwealth should hold back

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I can't take anyone seriously when the bitch about Obama having some sort of input on this process (not saying anyone here is doing that). All I hear is dog whistle racism.

You can't be loving serious. But it can't be just a Republican versus Democrat thing, right? Its just impossible to be that simple? If he were to nix the order, Republicans would bitch he's costing jobs. One side will always bitch about the other, racism has nothing to do with it

Tide fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 11, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Geoj posted:

And don't even get me started on how many Fiat Pandas we could buy for the cost of 1 presidential limousine :colbert:

Actually, zero, because the Fiat Panda isn't for sale in the US.

Also, not surprised Sikorsky found some way to sell the S-92 to the DoD; they've been trying for at least the past two decades. Probably why it costs $20 billion, "You wouldn't buy them earlier when they were half the cost, so we'll jack the price up as a 'stupid tax'". Government went along because they like taxes.

Tide posted:

You can't be loving serious. But it can't be just a Republican versus Democrat thing, right? Its just impossible to be that simple? If he were to nix the order, Republicans would bitch he's costing jobs. One side will always bitch about the other, racism has nothing to do with it

Everyone will blame everything on the President in power, always, regardless of party or fault. Getting into the actual who-to-blame is too far into the weeds for most people. Unfortunately gets too easy for people to play racism because "you don't like the black President." I get that crap all the time from my college pot-smoking hippie friends on Facebook.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

You could probably develop a suborbital spaceplane for $20 billion- get anywhere in the world quickly then just take a regular helicopter from the airport.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Again, we probably don't need to jump to too many conclusions about American domestic politics based on the rantings of a British tabloid.

Especially one that seems to have gotten practically every number wrong. The $20B number seems to come from some estimates about the old, massively-cost-overrun Lockheed / AW variant was cancelled, and even then I'm not sure where that specific value came from. The actual contract is for 1.2B for six prototype birds + simulators and training. Sikorsky got it because Bell and AugustaWestland withdrew, not because they were the only company asked for submissions. If you look at the numbers, the expense is practically the same for retrofitting the existing helos or buying fancy new ones, which implies the expenses are coming from some newfangled whizbang accessories and features deemed necessary for the role, and not the actual airframes at all. (I'd also really question if you could build a modern-day Air Force One for anything remotely near $400m, considering a base 747-8 is over $350m already.)

And, of course, the funding is approved by Congress, not the executive, but drat near nobody ever lays the blame right for that stuff.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Those things set the ground on fire A LOT. It would be pretty badass looking, though, and the dead spots in the lawn would make a nice visual reference for approach.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Those things set the ground on fire A LOT. It would be pretty badass looking, though, and the dead spots in the lawn would make a nice visual reference for approach.

Assuming the V-280 isn't vaporware, doesn't it solve the ground-scorching problems?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It is one thousand percent vapoware at the moment.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Yeah and watching it knock over photographers and important people as it lands near a crowd would be kinda funny.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

The Locator posted:

Bucket.

List.

https://vimeo.com/93587997

And apparently, a good way to start a new page!

Play this back on a sound system with a subwoofer and try to tell me you don't pop a serious horsepower boner.

If you don't call 911 because you're probably dead.

Fake edit for content:

Here's a video taken at one of my favorite air museums of a replica Fokker D.VII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNkD7ANwRg4

The museum is the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome which is just south of Poughkeepsie, NY and does weekly demonstrations throughout the summer.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 11, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Assuming the V-280 isn't vaporware, doesn't it solve the ground-scorching problems?

Yes, but it'll probably be an utterly unreliable deathtrap if you're running the prop drive shaft through a 90 degree rotation every time you land/take-off.

It's probably for the best that it's vapourware at this point.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Regarding the Flying Legends trailer: I went to that a couple years ago, it's only half an hour up the road for me. Was pretty cool.

Don't hate me. :)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

YF19pilot posted:

Actually, zero, because the Fiat Panda isn't for sale in the US.

I was pointing out the absurdity of suggesting a European made helicopter for the presidential fleet with the Panda reference.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SybilVimes posted:

Yes, but it'll probably be an utterly unreliable deathtrap if you're running the prop drive shaft through a 90 degree rotation every time you land/take-off.

How do you figure? Presumably each prop is just gonna have a gearbox driven by a bevel gear off the shaft connecting the two engines, why would rotating the output gear between vertical and horizontal affect anything?

It's essentially what the spider gears in a differential do, just at higher power levels.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also the osprey has an immensely complicated gear system so one side can drive both screws.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

evil_bunnY posted:

Also the osprey has an immensely complicated gear system so one side can drive both screws.

Isn't it the case that in such instances it doesn't actually have enough power to stay airborne? I seem to remember that in the case of an engine out, they have to do a rolling landing with the rotors at a 45 degree angle (forward to provide enough thrust to keep the air going over the wings for lift, but not all the way forward so you don't smash the blades all over the runway).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

So I guess there's a little more information on the ERAM story now. Apparently, the U-2/ER-2/whatever had a more complex than average flight plan (nearing the size limit of what the system could handle), but was missing altitude data. When a controller manually input an altitude of 60,000 feet, it bumped up against the size limit and the system ignored it. ERAM then attempted to calculate the flight path for all possible altitudes, which pretty much immediately caused the system to poo poo the bed as it ran out of memory trying to figure that nonsense out.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

MrYenko posted:

Here we go again...

gently caress me, we've gone insane.

(I know that article includes the cost of the VXX program, and probably shouldn't, but holy gently caress, it's only one guy. Paint a couple V-22s white and green and call it loving done.)

You know these already exist, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ApathyGifted posted:

Isn't it the case that in such instances it doesn't actually have enough power to stay airborne? I seem to remember that in the case of an engine out, they have to do a rolling landing with the rotors at a 45 degree angle (forward to provide enough thrust to keep the air going over the wings for lift, but not all the way forward so you don't smash the blades all over the runway).

Well it's better than a helicopter.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

ApathyGifted posted:

Most dual engine rotary wing aircraft at combat weight or high DA aren't going to be able to hover single engine, and would do a roll-on/run-on landing with speed with one engine inop. Since you don't want to smash those blades unless you have to, landing in the semi-helicopter config probably gives them the best drag profile to do that.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

The fun part about Cirrus parachute deployments is the ensuing arguments on various pilot forums about how Cirrus pilots "pull first and ask questions later."

To quote my check-ride examiner: "Step one in Cirrus spin recovery: reach behind your head and pull the handle."

I know I wasn't there on the plane, but it sounds like the guy suffered engine failure and then nearly or actually did spin the plane. Not sure how you can get it so wrong that you spin the plane while trying to maintain best glide speed, but like I said, I wasn't there.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

ApathyGifted posted:

Yeah its pretty much that. Most profiles for flying don't have you in conversion mode (45 degree on the nacelles) or helicopter mode very much at all. Its almost all airplane. So encountering an engine problem you'd stay in airplane and then just convert when in a position to land.

The system to do this involves three transmissions-- one at each engine and one in the center of the wing. Lose one of those and an engine, which is extremely unlikely, you're probably toast unless you have a lot of airspeed (aka not in a hover) and a field in front of you. The alternative to that is that if a helicopter lost even the transmission, let alone an engine and a transmission without any forward airspeed, it'd be equally toast. I say this because I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to autorotate with transmission related issues because you risk locking it up and losing rotor energy and a 0 airspeed auto is probably pretty darn hard to, not to mention if you are carrying a load. So the outcome isn't more bleak than anything that isn't already out there.

Theres triple redundancy on almost every system in the plane so its pretty safe as far as systems. Most of the incidents involving it I'm pretty sure have come from teething issues in the style of flight involved-- mostly low airspeed, low altitude stuff where it is neither a helicopter or an airplane or its converting from one to another.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

charliemonster42 posted:

Not sure how you can get it so wrong that you spin the plane while trying to maintain best glide speed, but like I said, I wasn't there.

Very easy: 99% of the time pulling on the stick/yoke and raising the nose makes the airplane go up, so that response gets hard wired into our muscle memory. And when the engine quits, when you're in full panic mode, it's hard to overcome that hard-wiring and put the nose down to maintain speed when every fiber in your being is screaming "I want to go up" and your hand reacts in the normal "go up" mode.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
The V-22 had a significant problem with vortex ring state that crashed a couple of them while they were transitioning to helicopter flight.

I think the fix was to make pilots not fly in that particular area of the flight envelope. Or make the computers not let the pilot put it there.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

vessbot posted:

Very easy: 99% of the time pulling on the stick/yoke and raising the nose makes the airplane go up, so that response gets hard wired into our muscle memory. And when the engine quits, when you're in full panic mode, it's hard to overcome that hard-wiring and put the nose down to maintain speed when every fiber in your being is screaming "I want to go up" and your hand reacts in the normal "go up" mode.

Oh, I know, maybe it's just that I'm so fresh out of training that it seems obvious. Also, I have the benefit of reading about it from my hotel room, not actually being in it.

That reminds me - I need to practice simulated engine failure next time I'm up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AFAIK there were only so many casualties because stuffing prototypes full of troops was the oooah thing to do.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SocketSeven posted:

The V-22 had a significant problem with vortex ring state that crashed a couple of them while they were transitioning to helicopter flight.

I think the fix was to make pilots not fly in that particular area of the flight envelope. Or make the computers not let the pilot put it there.

Helicopters have exactly the same problem though. The issue in the case of the V-22 was that it was thought of as a whiz-bang aircraft and it couldn't possibly have that kind of problem and why are we still descending we've got 'er firewalled and *CVR recording ends*

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

charliemonster42 posted:

Oh, I know, maybe it's just that I'm so fresh out of training that it seems obvious. Also, I have the benefit of reading about it from my hotel room, not actually being in it.

That reminds me - I need to practice simulated engine failure next time I'm up.

Well it's not like his stall warning wouldnt work or he wouldn't feel the buffet of a stall. And its not like planes just spin either. So you're right.

MrChips posted:

Helicopters have exactly the same problem though. The issue in the case of the V-22 was that it was thought of as a whiz-bang aircraft and it couldn't possibly have that kind of problem and why are we still descending we've got 'er firewalled and *CVR recording ends*

Or because it has significant disk area above the wing which spoils lift even further. So it suffers from VRS more.

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 13, 2014

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

ManifunkDestiny posted:

You know these already exist, right?

Sure but I don't think POTUS is actually allowed to fly on it. Maybe that restriction doesn't exist anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SocketSeven posted:

No, only one of the crashes was due to VRS. And it turns out in the final analysis that the V-22's more forgiving of VRS than helicopters are; it's harder to get into and easier to get out of once you're in it. The "fix" such as it was a crew alert that goes off when they reach 50% of the vulnerable sink rate when they're at susceptible airspeeds. The crew in the case of that mishap was greatly exceeding the operational restrictions on the airplane.