Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Infinity Gaia posted:

I like how one of the names the random team name generator spits up is ZEUXIS though. I actually ended up using that one because, seriously, Z-BLUE?

I used my favorite stock generated name, 特攻Zチーム!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I hope they bring back enough of the shows that weren't in this one that we get a whole new team name.
I hope they bring back every unit from both Z and Z2. Including the random squad filler from Z.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The dream of Final Obari Special will be kept alive.

As well as Double Mugen Punch.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If they found some way in the story to break the no double of the same character rule we could have some pretty sweet combo attacks. Just imagine you are on a stage and all seems lost when Mazinger, Great Mazinger, and Grandizer rocket punch through the dimensional walls and team up with Shin Mazinger and Zeus to just lay waste to a boss.

Also if Dancouga doesn't come back next game so we get that sweet brofist move again this series is dead to me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Pureauthor posted:

I always thought that the final team name in Z3 would be ZODIAC after ZEUTH and ZEXIS. Of course they spoiled my nice prediction with Z-BLUE instead.

Mine game suggested Zodiac III so I took it!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Alpha Numbers made sense, Round Knights (from R) was cool, Warter was clever. I don't remember what the other games did but it wasn't as weird as ZEUTH or ZEXIS, let alone Z-BLUE. :psyduck: What does that one even mean?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

GimmickMan posted:

Alpha Numbers made sense, Round Knights (from R) was cool, Warter was clever. I don't remember what the other games did but it wasn't as weird as ZEUTH or ZEXIS, let alone Z-BLUE. :psyduck: What does that one even mean?

Z-Busters Link Universe & Earth!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Magneito-Ten was from MX, and I think the team in Alpha Gaiden was called the Irregulars.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
I'm pretty sure the team in UX is just called Universal Cross. I actually wasn't expecting to ever find out what the title of the game stood for, but they apparently just made it the team name.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

TARDISman posted:

Magneito-Ten was from MX, and I think the team in Alpha Gaiden was called the Irregulars.

I think it's Magnate Ten.

L had LOTUS (and had the best deployment music in the series) and UX had Ultimate Cross.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I think the guys in J didn't even have a name, the title reference just popped up all of a sudden in the ending.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They were just Londo Bell in 2 but didn't the team get an original name in 3 and 4?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I miss in Alpha 2 where the characters would all have a conversation about what to call their group. The first time I took Ple's suggestion and called them the purupurupurus, and the second was Asuka and her brave allies.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Ethiser posted:

They were just Londo Bell in 2 but didn't the team get an original name in 3 and 4?

Not sure, but you bring up Londo Bell and I think to be fair to SRW we should say that doesn't make much sense either.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ethiser posted:

Londo Bell was sort of unofficially adopted as the team name in the Classic era, and a few other games. Once Alpha rolled along, then Banpresto started coming up with original team names like Blue Swear (D) and Steel Dragons (OG) for your forces.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I miss in Alpha 2 where the characters would all have a conversation about what to call their group. The first time I took Ple's suggestion and called them the purupurupurus, and the second was Asuka and her brave allies.
MX has a similar thing where Ruri decides to call the team "Nadeisco B and Nahel Argama". It doesn't stick, leading to the aforementioned Magnate Ten name being used.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BlitzBlast posted:

I think the guys in J didn't even have a name, the title reference just popped up all of a sudden in the ending.

They were just the 3 Ship Alliance in J, because it was SEED and it infected everything.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

TARDISman posted:

Only the badguys in Alpha Gaiden referred to the hero team as Irregulars. The only thing the heroes call themselves is the Preventers, when they all unify under that banner to fight against the Titans before the time jump.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Onmi posted:

They were just the 3 Ship Alliance in J, because it was SEED and it infected everything.

It was the 3 Ship Alliance, but as per usual they booted the Kusanagi's rear end out for the Nadesico.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Hokuto posted:

Only the badguys in Alpha Gaiden referred to the hero team as Irregulars. The only thing the heroes call themselves is the Preventers, when they all unify under that banner to fight against the Titans before the time jump.

Isn't that a post-series Wing Gundam thing?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Plus the Eternal was lame and barely qualified as a ship so much as a bloated support unit that can't run back to your actual battleships to stay out of the way.

seriously why would you ever use the Eternal in that game

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

HitTheTargets posted:

Isn't that a post-series Wing Gundam thing?

Yeah, it is. In the Alpha Gaiden setting, it's an umbrella organization formed by the AEUG, Karaba, and the League Militia to oppose the Titans.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

Gyra_Solune posted:

Plus the Eternal was lame and barely qualified as a ship so much as a bloated support unit that can't run back to your actual battleships to stay out of the way.

seriously why would you ever use the Eternal in that game

For the only reason you should ever use a ship. Support.

Honestly I never had issues with it but I invested all of Lacus' points in dodging and that thing ended up with some nice dodge rates.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ShiunTouya posted:

Honestly I never had issues with it but I invested all of Lacus' points in dodging and that thing ended up with some nice dodge rates.

I remember waking up after drinking too much and finding that I put a couple points into Lacus' melee stat. :shepface:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd rather use the Eternal than the Archangel, honestly, at least in J. Having a boatload of support spells is more useful than a lower-tier combat carrier.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Eternal got a lot better when it got team attacks and innate EN recovery that was basically a super robot.

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012

ShiunTouya posted:

Ahem. :colbert:

The Nadesico in J was an engine of mass destruction. You have to actively try to make sure that Yurika doesn't eat up every other kill in that thing.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The Macross Quarter has also been pretty rad in any game I have played with it in it. L included.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macross 7 was also a god-machine among men in every game it is in. Admittedly it takes a slight hit when Max stops piloting and it loses the ability to dodge like a real robot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you keep Zero in the Ikaruga and don't deploy the Shinkiro, it becomes a pretty good artillery platform, but why would you not deploy the Shinkiro?

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
Shin Dragon and the Tuatha de Danaan are the only ships that I've ever actually bothered using for offense.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Anyone here play the Gihren's Greed series? Been playing Shin Gihren lately and can't figure out how spying works in this one.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hikarusa posted:

Shin Dragon and the Tuatha de Danaan are the only ships that I've ever actually bothered using for offense.

Mother Vanguard (the Crossbone ship with the beam sails and the radar rigging, which is a fantastic touch) in Alpha 2 was surprisingly solid on offense, too; I got some good use out of that one.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I miss SP Get.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Really they've been pretty good about making battleships capable of defending themselves lately, it is just that the Argama and its knockoffs tend to be pretty meh and guess what ship you have for most of the game in every game.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Really they should just give every battleship hit and away. It is not like their attacks are so strong that it would make them too powerful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The worst SRW for battleships has to be Z2.1. You have the Ptolemaios, with no weapons for 90% of the game, and you have the Dai-Gurren, which is slow as gently caress and basically exists to facilitate Giga Drill Break Special. The only real bright spot is the Quarter.

I guess you also have the Gekko-Go. For like five stages.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
And they couldn't be bothered to include the King Beal or the Iron Gear. What a shame.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Then they made up for it by throwing about 5 or 6 of them at you in Z2.2. Some of them aren't even technically carriers, they're just ridiculously huge, like Shin Dragon.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Endorph posted:

The worst SRW for battleships has to be Z2.1. You have the Ptolemaios, with no weapons for 90% of the game, and you have the Dai-Gurren, which is slow as gently caress and basically exists to facilitate Giga Drill Break Special. The only real bright spot is the Quarter.

I guess you also have the Gekko-Go. For like five stages.

I'm actually okay with the first Ptolemy, it could repair and that made it better than the Argama to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Speaking of lack of hit and away, playing z2.2 made me HATE Tiera and Lockon. Like, of all the people you don't give Hit and Away, you don't give it to the heavy artillery and Sniper but give it to the extremely mobile Aerial transformer???

• Locked thread