Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
How the hell can you drive in a city while rolling a j, eating Taco Bell, and texting with a manual? Just doesn't work. I've tried. Gotta have an auto for city life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Also, I must have a huge 4-banger in my car, because I can shift at 2000 RPM all day long and still keep up with traffic :v: (2.2 with ~80% torque available from 2000 RPM. Gas, not diesel)

Today that counts as a huge 4 banger when most new gasoline cars are 1.4 or less.
Obsolete technology: Non turbo internal combustion engines, do they even still make those? (yes i know they do, but not many).

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Horace posted:

I'll accept that manual gearboxes are almost obsolete now that modern automatics have reduced or removed the economy and performance penalties of a traditional auto, but they're still hideously complicated pieces of machinery compared to a manual box and I don't expect them to ever replace manuals across the board.

Electric cars don't have gears at all so soon it'll all be for naught.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

The military-industrial complex will rather just start the third world war than allow electrical automobiles to take over the market.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Then a war we shall have since petrol prices and reserves are only going to go one way.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NihilismNow posted:

Today that counts as a huge 4 banger when most new gasoline cars are 1.4 or less.
Obsolete technology: Non turbo internal combustion engines, do they even still make those? (yes i know they do, but not many).

Well, it is ~14 years old now, and that engine was phased out some years ago for emissions reasons. It's still a peach of an engine, though. Smooth, torquey, makes a pleasant noise. Sadly, 9.5L/100km for 160hp doesn't cut it anymore.

mobby_6kl posted:

It certainly depends on the engine, my experience was that revving the 1.9 TDI in an Octavia produces a lot of noise and little else, and trust me, I tried to redline it in every gear to Autobahn speeds :D

Try an Octavia with the 1.9 SDI engine if you think the TDI is gutless.

Same engine, no turbo. 0-100 kph in 18.6 seconds :v:

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 20:48 on May 12, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KozmoNaut posted:

Try an Octavia with the 1.9 SDI engine if you think the TDI is gutless.

Same engine, no turbo. 0-100 kph in 18.6 seconds :v:

Driving in Belgium I wound up with a VW Polo 1.3 TDI as my rental.

Trying to get back to the rental agency before it closed so they wouldn't charge me for another day, I'm going 70. There's this guy in front of me who I need to pass. Looks like he's driving some kind of Porsche. It's dark so I can't really tell what kind. I get up closer...is that...no, can't be one of those, they only sold like 1000 of those.

Yep. It was: Porsche 980. Going under 70. I don't think I want to live in a world where a 5.7L V10 making 600+ horsepower is an obsolete technology, but that guy driving it would probably be okay with it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Boiled Water posted:

Most electric cars have a single reduction gear between the motor and the drive wheels, but you are correct that they don't have "gears" in the traditional sense of a multi-geared transmission.

It will probably be a long time coming before purely EVs replace ICE and parallel gasoline/electric hybrid powered cars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

Yep. It was: Porsche 980. Going under 70. I don't think I want to live in a world where a 5.7L V10 making 600+ horsepower is an obsolete technology, but that guy driving it would probably be okay with it.

I have never ever heard the Carrera GT referred to as the 980 before. One hell of a machine, though.

(Manual gearbox only :v:)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Geoj posted:

Most electric cars have a single reduction gear between the motor and the drive wheels, but you are correct that they don't have "gears" in the traditional sense of a multi-geared transmission.

It will probably be a long time coming before purely EVs replace ICE and parallel gasoline/electric hybrid powered cars.

The same is true for hydrogen cars which again, near future thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's because most hydrogen cars are just electric cars with a hydrogen fuel cell and inefficient hydrogen storage in place of the batteries.

E: VVVV Hydrogen cars are a failed technology.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 22:53 on May 12, 2014

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Take the car chat to AI, please.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Yeah, can we get back to the part of this thread where I owned one of these in 2008 when all my friends had ipods? :shobon:

And then someone considered it worth enough to steal it :raise:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Stalin McHitler posted:

Take the car chat to AI, please.
In that case I'd like to go back to before car chat and remind everyone to look up what your old computer parts are worth as scrap because the guy who sold 10 486 processors for 20 bucks got ripped the gently caress off.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

This is pretty far from cars AND iPods! Back in the 90s one of my relatives replaced his broken automatic washing machine with one of these, a Twin Tub. These things were very popular in the 1960s for the sole reason that they were affordable.

But this was the 90s and the thing was a relic when he bought it. It offered zero advantages over a normal washing machine. It couldn't be installed under the counter, it had to be dragged out into the kitchen every time it was to be used. The classy plank of wood top (as photo) had to be removed and propped up against the wall before the fill and drain hoses were connected to the tap and sink. Once it had washed your clothes you had to heave all your sopping wet clothes into the spinner tub and when that was finished it all needed putting away again. The final step being to mop up the water that spilled from the hoses.

It didn't last long.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Horace posted:

This is pretty far from cars AND iPods! Back in the 90s one of my relatives replaced his broken automatic washing machine with one of these, a Twin Tub. These things were very popular in the 1960s for the sole reason that they were affordable.

But this was the 90s and the thing was a relic when he bought it. It offered zero advantages over a normal washing machine. It couldn't be installed under the counter, it had to be dragged out into the kitchen every time it was to be used. The classy plank of wood top (as photo) had to be removed and propped up against the wall before the fill and drain hoses were connected to the tap and sink. Once it had washed your clothes you had to heave all your sopping wet clothes into the spinner tub and when that was finished it all needed putting away again. The final step being to mop up the water that spilled from the hoses.

It didn't last long.

Still very popular in Latin America actually!

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Humboldt Squid posted:

If they also still have fitted carpet in their bathrooms then I could get strangely nostalgic visiting the place.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Humboldt Squid posted:

So are these:

Some things that should be obsolete aren't.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Phanatic posted:

So are these:

Is this some kind of water heater?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Phanatic posted:

So are these:

Having been to Latin America and seen firsthand the electrical wiring standards they have down there, this is loving terrifying.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
That ain't terrifying, this is:

The one you posted looks harmless in comparison.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So what is it if not an execution device?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It's as pienipple guessed: A combined water heater / showerhead.

You can buy them from amazon apparently.
Still baffling, why not just have a safer unit connected down the line, instead of the showerhead itself? :psyduck:
You could even have one for the entire bathroom, like the gas-powered water heaters they have some places in Europe.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

SubNat posted:

It's as pienipple guessed: A combined water heater / showerhead.

You can buy them from amazon apparently.
Still baffling, why not just have a safer unit connected down the line, instead of the showerhead itself? :psyduck:
You could even have one for the entire bathroom, like the gas-powered water heaters they have some places in Europe.

Because connecting a heater at the laundry room would require a plumber to get it done neatly. My old man and me sprang for a gas heater since gas is included on my apartment rent. Electricity is brutally expensive down here so this has saved plenty of money. The cost is the main hurdle. A sparkyplus shower head heater costs $30 tops, a proper heater plumbed into your water line is about $200.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Phanatic posted:

So are these:

Wasn't that from Sochi?

And are those alligator clips? :stonk:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Those things are pretty popular in a lot of countries, since all you need to do is jam the heater head onto the shower and you have instant hot water at the tap. Most of the pictures of them on the internet look pretty scary, but it is possible to safely install them and not burn your house down or electrocute yourself in the shower.

Larry Horseplay
Oct 24, 2002

Horace posted:

Twin Tub

People do laundry in the kitchen?

In my condo there's just a closet with a stacked washer/dryer.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
For smaller homes/apartments/rentals, I could see those being pretty valuable, though.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Larry Horseplay posted:

It seems preferable to dragging everything to a laundromat.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Zemyla posted:

Wasn't that from Sochi?

And are those alligator clips? :stonk:

Looks like quick disconnects to me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Larry Horseplay posted:

I live in a 50m^2 apartment, the kitchen was the only practical location for my washer, with water+drain+power in close proximity.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Do you also have to stand in the toilet to shower? We may have a similar apartment.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Zemyla posted:

Wasn't that from Sochi?

Nah, I don't see any tarps or wild dogs anywhere in that photo.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Having the washing machine hookup in the kitchen was a common design in houses in the 50s. I've seen several houses from that Era like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Boiled Water posted:

Do you also have to stand in the toilet to shower? We may have a similar apartment.

My apartment is one of the very few in the greater Copenhagen area with an actual bathroom, rather than just a shower stall with a toilet in it, as is the norm. A separate shower stall is a luxury I will not live without.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

KozmoNaut posted:

My apartment is one of the very few in the greater Copenhagen area with an actual bathroom, rather than just a shower stall with a toilet in it, as is the norm. A separate shower stall is a luxury I will not live without.

Wait, that's an actual thing?! He wasn't just making a joke about a tiny apartment? :psyduck:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wait, that's an actual thing?! He wasn't just making a joke about a tiny apartment? :psyduck:

Outside of the US, toilets and bathrooms are scaaaaary places. Even in so-called "civilized" "Europe" people tolerate insane bathrooms situations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yes, it is an actual thing. Some of the apartments I looked at when moving here had ridiculously tiny bathrooms, think "broom closet with a toilet and a sink". One even had a small cutout in the door, in order for it to clear the toilet. Most of them used the entire room as a shower stall.

All of this stems from the good old days, when apartment buildings had shared toilets (and maybe showers) in the courtyard. If you didn't have shared showers, you washed yourself by the kitchen sink with soap and a washcloth. No room for a bathtub. Don't forget, families of like 4-5 people used to live in these tiny 2-room apartments.

Then, during the latter part of the 20th century as the old apartment buildings where being renovated, plumbing was upgraded and a bathroom in every apartment became a necessity, people were fed up with shared facilities (no more taking a poo poo in sub-freezing temperatures during winter). This progression of events happened pretty much simultaneously in every major European city.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

This is very recent history by the way. My father, who is 60, had a shared toilet in the courtyard. This was in the late 60's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
My Uncle, who is 85, once did some research for the anniversary of housing corporation he worked for and it turned out the house he (and my dad) grew up in was considered too luxurious by some for the people that lived there. They had a private bathroom and that was a waste of money for these people. :)