Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I ran an Argus Moonhound tonight under eKreuger, and I gotta say I loved it.

Played against pDenny and it was one of the smoothest plays I think I've ever made. Hound puts itself 6.5" away, uses it's Hunting Howls action (Enemy models lose camo and Stealth while within 5" of it).

Activate eKreuger, TK the hound the distance it needs to get Denny within 5", which also adds another +2 RAT to eKreuger. eKreuger hits with first lightning bolt, eKreuger buys two additional lightning bolts and it's good times with Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

League moves up to 35 this week, was thinking of trying out a few new things.

*Trollbloods
* 35 points
-Madrak Ironhide
Mulg the Ancient
Dire bomber
Pyre Troll
Kreil Bearer's
Max Fennblades Unit
Janissa Stonehide

Only other models I have are two Imaplers, an Axer, and a Rune Bearer. I know an Axer might be better than a Pyre to deal with infantry, or that the Impaler's Snipe would synergise with the Bomber, but I would like to try the Pyre out.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Wait, Phantom Hunter applies to ranged attacks? I just assumed it was melee only because it specifies charges/slams :downs:

Yeah it just says 'attacks' it's loving terrifying.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

gannyGrabber posted:

I am an Ottawa man and have been looking for a place to play too! I'm just about at the point where I am willing to leave the house and get stomped on in public. I have close to 200 points of Menoth and about 70 of Khador, so I've plenty to share.

pmed you.

As usual the meltdowns on the PP forum about this errata are awesome. I don't see it as a huge deal except for taking out some pretty goofy exploits but I suppose I may (as usual) be surprised once I see it in action on the table.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

We're doing a slow-grow league over the next few months to get some more people into the game, just wondered what some good 15 point Cygnar lists would be.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

evenworse username posted:

As usual the meltdowns on the PP forum about this errata are awesome. I don't see it as a huge deal except for taking out some pretty goofy exploits but I suppose I may (as usual) be surprised once I see it in action on the table.

I think this is one of the errata's that most people are just going to forget unless their opponents are doing something egregiously douchey. That said it does seems rather odd that they went for the more severe option as opposed to just 'models out of formation cannot be the target of spells or abilities' which solves the problem without further empowering forced movement abilities.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Calico Noose posted:

I think this is one of the errata's that most people are just going to forget unless their opponents are doing something egregiously douchey. That said it does seems rather odd that they went for the more severe option as opposed to just 'models out of formation cannot be the target of spells or abilities' which solves the problem without further empowering forced movement abilities.

I'm a little curious about that as well although one of the PP dudes said that they had tested it that way and liked this rule better. It would be interesting to get some elaboration there but I get why they don't want to dicker in public about the rationale behind their rule changes.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
All I could guess is that they liked it as either a way to make unit formation more important, or they weren't happy about thinly spread jam screens of reach infantry.

Lofidelity Media
Nov 4, 2004

"Its a Strange World...Let's keep it that way."

HiveCommander posted:

We're doing a slow-grow league over the next few months to get some more people into the game, just wondered what some good 15 point Cygnar lists would be.

Do you have to stick with the Battleboxes to start out? Or just any old 15 points?

Also, how much of a dick do you want to be? Cause Stryker 2 at low points is just horrific for the other player.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

WAR FOOT posted:

I ran an Argus Moonhound tonight under eKreuger, and I gotta say I loved it.

Played against pDenny and it was one of the smoothest plays I think I've ever made. Hound puts itself 6.5" away, uses it's Hunting Howls action (Enemy models lose camo and Stealth while within 5" of it).

Activate eKreuger, TK the hound the distance it needs to get Denny within 5", which also adds another +2 RAT to eKreuger. eKreuger hits with first lightning bolt, eKreuger buys two additional lightning bolts and it's good times with Lightning.

Yeah, while everyone has been gushing over Reeves finally being useful as more than a gimmick because of the Moonhound, I have to say he seems naturally awesome in an eKrueger list with Purebloods and Bloodtrackers. Having really accurate ranged shooting will be a real treat once I get my hands on the hound dog.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

My first completed warjack!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That looks sharp and I like your color choices!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Thanks! Although gently caress yellow. How do you wizards paint it so well?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

DJ Dizzy posted:

Thanks! Although gently caress yellow. How do you wizards paint it so well?

For lighter colors you want to paint onto a light undercoat. I use (don't know if they sell it anymore) Citadel Foundation "Astronomicon Grey". It's basically a paintable primer and allows 100% of the light color you're trying to apply to show through.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
A good way to do yellows or gold is to paint brown first then go over with yellow or gold itself. Gives it a strong base especially with metal type paints as they tend to be really watery and see through.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

And my speedpainted charger. gently caress yellow in the loving rear end.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

For_Great_Justice posted:

A good way to do yellows or gold is to paint brown first then go over with yellow or gold itself. Gives it a strong base especially with metal type paints as they tend to be really watery and see through.

Thanks for this. Gonna need to do a lot of gold once I finally start painting. Will have to keep it in mind

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Every time I proxy the convergence battle engine it's the greatest experience in my life. God drat I can't wait for that thing to come out.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah sending infantry against that thing in my first game against it as Menoth was a huge mistake.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The trick with yellow is to:
A) Pre-paint the yellow area white first, and
B) Hit it with a light brown or sepia wash after it's dried

Lots of people are afraid of using washes for whatever reason, but they're basically talent in a bottle. One warning: Avoid black. It'll just mute your colors and make them look muddy and unappealing. While this is desirable on metallics or grey-scales, 90% of the time you're better off using a light brown or sepia tone.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Painting the area white wouldnt really eliminate the key problem here, namely that it looks messy and grubby as gently caress. White would probably accentuate that effect, which is undesireable.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 11, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

DJ Dizzy posted:

Painting the area white wouldnt really eliminate the key problem here, namely that it looks messy and grubby as gently caress. White would probably accentuate that effect, which is undesireable.

To avoid the grubby-effect the only thing you can do is apply thin layers evenly and iteratively. People get smooth light colors by using very thin paint and applying it gradually.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The other thing is that working over white background is that you get away with fewer layers of yellow.

Basically you'll just go over what you want yellow with white first (or even thinned brush-on white primer), and then use a few thinned layers of yellow to color that how you want it. This works for any bright color, really. Yellow is notorious for low-pigment and bad coverage.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Only way I found white doable was to base with a dark color like brown then apply thin layer after layer after layer after layer and it truly is the most annoying thing to do. Even mixing a bit of water so it sort of washes onto what you have may help and a light colored ink maybe mixed with water for detailing. Red, yellow, orange, and white can be difficult and if you paint with them never use a brush that has had any other paint recently on it. Even having a bit of it on your fingers will rub right off onto anything with a color like yellow or white it'll stain the poo poo out of it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Lofidelity Media posted:

Do you have to stick with the Battleboxes to start out? Or just any old 15 points?

Also, how much of a dick do you want to be? Cause Stryker 2 at low points is just horrific for the other player.

No list restrictions, I didn't want to be a douche and use eCaine though. That'd be too harsh on the newer guys, not that I'm all that experienced myself.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

No list restrictions, I didn't want to be a douche and use eCaine though. That'd be too harsh on the newer guys, not that I'm all that experienced myself.

I'm fond of this 15 point list:

Commander Coleman Stryker (WJ: +6)
-Hunter: -6
-Lancer: -6
-Ol' Rowdy: -9

TOTAL: 21/21

I feel that, for casual play at least, this is a list that covers all of my bases. Lancer is a node and does node things. Rowdy just charges around beating things with his hammer and doing Rowdy stuff. Hunter cracks down upon anything larger than a small base. Stryker casts shield and earthquake where it's needed, and maybe disrupts if something gets close. I should note that I run this list in response to the mixture of horsey models everyone likes to field and the overall meta in my area of going beast/jack heavy, so take the list as you will.

Alternatively, field three Ironclads with Stryker1.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I tried the white followed by yellow and it worked out great! My swedish cygnar are swiftly being painted. Time to get stryker3 and some hakkapeliitta :black101:

Edit: Also unban me from #tinypewtermen :smith:

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 13, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Excellent! Trying new stuff is how to get better at painting. I'm painting my buddy's Stryker3 sometime after he gets it this month, that is a seriously impressive model, hopefully I can do it some justice.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I'm having mixed feelings on the Cephalyx army.

On one hand, I really, really like the look of the Cephalyx themselves, and I don't mind the drudges. Those are cool.

On the other hand, I really hate the pose of the monstrosities. I mean, the monstrosities themselves look amazing, but that pose makes them all look exactly the same. And given my experience with the plastic kits so far, I doubt the hands/arms are going to be poseable at all, so no matter what kind you have, you're sort of stuck with them all looking alike. I really hope there's a few more options for configuration than what they're showing with the figures. Otherwise, I might be grabbing some Rat Ogres or something like that and doing a lot of conversions.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Yeah, the PP plastics leave a lot to be desired in terms of customization. Would be real nice if the plastic living beasts and large models had a second body which the hands could then be attached to.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I guess at least with frankenstein monstrosities, it's not the end of the world to repose the limbs pretty crudely - like, sawing the torso in half at the waist and crudely puttying it into position to reposition the whole shoulders is going to look better on these than it would with any warjack or beast for the same amount of work.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You can also get some additional mileage from identical models by varying the skin tones and small tweaks to pose. Just rotating the head a few degrees changes a figure's body language. Hopefully the light monstrosities mix it up, too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

There aren't any light monstrosities.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Weren't they mentioned in NQ? I'm pretty certain I saw that, but don't have the issue in front of me.

The battle report also talked about Forces of Warmachine: Cephalyx, so does that mean they're going to get the full book treatment?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

They're just a merc sub faction, they're not a full faction in their own right. I don't remember seeing anything about light monstrosities but that would be rad.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Exinos posted:

Yeah, the PP plastics leave a lot to be desired in terms of customization. Would be real nice if the plastic living beasts and large models had a second body which the hands could then be attached to.

Dear god yes. I put together a few cyclops savages the last two days and a) one of them had two left arms and b) getting the parts to fit together without needing four hands was drat near impossible. I honestly hope nothing else I have to put together is as frustrating as savages.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's what I thought, but it threw me since it's the same book naming convention.

Ugh, maybe I'm conflating rumors with content. I'll c/d light monstrosities in NQ as soon as I can.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That's not to say they won't be getting their own book for now, but it will be small :v:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
There isn't going to be enough to fill a book of their own. They have one caster and three beasts and a new unit and solo and that's basically it. Not a faction to pick up if you think that Cyriss is getting new stuff at an unacceptable pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

General question: with the new errata that came out do the digital versions of books/cards in the Privateer Press apps automatically update to reflect errata entries?

• Locked thread