Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

As usual nipplefloss puts way more effort into this than I did, but if you don't understand how IP still has to travel in ethernet packets, wellllll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

evil_bunnY posted:

As usual nipplefloss puts way more effort into this than I did, but if you don't understand how IP still has to travel in ethernet packets, wellllll

I am a compulsive explainer. It is a problem.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

lampey posted:

A lot of people got the source port (random high number) wrong

I know that you mean something else, but in my mind I'm picturing a smug guy quizzing people on what the exact source port number is: "Here's a hint, it's a random high number. Warmer, warmer, warmer, too low... too high... warmer, colder."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I know that you mean something else, but in my mind I'm picturing a smug guy quizzing people on what the exact source port number is: "Here's a hint, it's a random high number. Warmer, warmer, warmer, too low... too high... warmer, colder."
Given some of the horror stories of smug people asking trivia in interviews, it's a wonder this hasn't happened. "We use a restricted range of ports for RPC, what range did we choose? No I'm sorry that's incorrect you're not what we're looking for (but we will reconsider your application if you can tell us how many 2008 R2 VMs we have in our test domain)."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am really really bad at remembering ports for anything other than the simplest things (like, SSH = 22), so yeah, I'd be really awful at that. :v:

e) i also remember TFTP = 69 because that's a funny number

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Am I the guy who replies twice in a row? Yes I am.

People who remember ports are the worst people. There are some legitimate ports to remember, either because they are so unbearably common (80, 443) that you'd have to have your head in the sand to forget. Others are important because you're going to need to know the port the 4th and 5th times you beg your network admin to lighten up and open 1433 or 3389 for god's sake. But others, like DNS being 53, or LDAP being 636? Feh, there's more important things to know. Like right now, I know I've heard it but I can't remember what port DHCP uses. And I don't care, and I would appreciate if the entire internet would help me out by never telling me the port, because I'm pretty okay with having forgotten it. If I need it, google's right there.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

Original Question

Is that even covered in the CCENT? The second I'm told "router" I'm immediately thinking layer 3 only which means no MAC Addresses, however I'm little confused why it would be the MAC of the routers and not the actual end-point.

Sepist's question is entirely reasonable, especially if they're looking to hire CCNP-level folks.

The original original question was "You make a request to website, what happens?" and then they lamented that people messed up the MAC addresses involved, which is weird since I wouldn't really think to talk about frame encapsulation there, I would focus more on DNS and routing.

EDIT: That explanation makes it more reasonable.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 13, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying really really hard to avoid call center hell for my first IT-related job. I've gotten a few calls back and a couple interviews, so fingers crossed. I think despite having little experience I give off an air of being at least somewhat competent in person and I should have a CCENT within a few weeks and a CCNA around 5-ish weeks after that. Hopefully my desirability will go up after that. Still, :argh: at nearly every "entry level" job I find being "3+ years at random technology."

eonwe fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 13, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Eonwe posted:

Still, :argh: at nearly every "entry level" job I find being "3+ years at random technology."

What websites are you looking for jobs, and who is telling you that they require experience in X?

craigslist is a surprisingly good resource for opportunities.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Eonwe posted:

I'm trying really really hard to avoid call center hell for my first IT-related job. I've gotten a few calls back and a couple interviews, so fingers crossed. I think despite having little experience I give off an air of being at least somewhat competent in person and I should have a CCENT within a few weeks and a CCNA around 5-ish weeks after that. Hopefully my desirability will go up after that. Still, :argh: at nearly every "entry level" job I find being "3+ years at random technology."

Skipping the helldesk is not an impossible task and is more than worth the hell you will put through to find something else. Do you have a college degree at least?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

What websites are you looking for jobs, and who is telling you that they require experience in X?

craigslist is a surprisingly good resource for opportunities.

The most promising interview I've had so far came from Craigslist actually. I've been using Indeed, Glassdoor, DICE, CNMConnect (which does nonprofit job posting), USAJobs, GovermentJobs, Craigslist, and various local universities. I'd really like to work in the IT dept for a university I think. Its just the job posting really that mentions how much experience is required.

Sickening posted:

Skipping the helldesk is not an impossible task and is more than worth the hell you will put through to find something else. Do you have a college degree at least?

I have a B.S. in Poli Sci/History (don't ask, its dumb), and I'm currently finishing up a B.S. in IT. I think I'll be done by December at the rate I'm going.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Eonwe posted:

I'm working toward my CCENT and I'm not looking forward to subnetting. Predicting the MAC addresses seems like it will be a fairly easy part of the exam. I was feeling nervous about getting my CCNA in general until I learned about the show CDP neighbors detail command. :allears:

Yeah, subnetting is the thing that gets most people angry on the CCENT, and there's no shortcut to it, you really just have to learn it.

What I find funny is people who complain about subnetting, then complain even more about IPv6 being on the exam, when pretty much everything (including subnetting) about IPv6 except actually reading the addresses is a hundred times easier than IPv4 :v:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

lampey posted:

I should have added some details, the whole problem is drawn out on a whiteboard. It is an exercise to understand tcp/ip networking. Its more about how they solve the different parts. I e this is a new computer, the network config shows ... a web browser returns a 403 error, ... ipconfig shows media disconnected. A lot of people got the source port (random high number) wrong and the destination mac will be the fw/ gateway. Technically the source port will change due to nat when going out, but it will get changed back on the return.

It's fine to get something wrong but a fundamental understanding is expected when you have a cs degree and cisco on your resume.

This is for an intern position? Is it paid?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
So is there like an entire application layer service that returns 403s or something? I just started my CCNA too :)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also wait, how are you getting a 403 if the media is disconnected? Are you actually hiring exorcists?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Inspector_666 posted:

Also wait, how are you getting a 403 if the media is disconnected? Are you actually hiring exorcists?

I'm pretty sure there was a CCENT test question which had this exact same error.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a CCENT test question which had this exact same error.

What is the answer? You need to get a message back from the webserver for a 403, so if you're not connected to the network...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Inspector_666 posted:

What is the answer? You need to get a message back from the webserver for a 403, so if you're not connected to the network...

No, I mean, they made the same error in writing the question- they said a host was getting a 403 error when he couldn't connect to the webserver in the first place.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Are you actually hiring exorcists?

Isn't this a required position in most IT departments? I've worked with McAfee products, man.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

unbearably common (80, 443)

Don't forget port 80. At a previous job, someone accidentally downloaded a .torrent file. They meant to click comicbookpodcast.mp3, hit comicbookpodcast.torrent instead.

Within minutes, pretty much all internet stuff stopped working. Obviously bittorrent had downloaded viruses onto the network.

Long story short, someone decided that port 80 was "the Bittorrent Port" and blocked it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't forget port 80. At a previous job, someone accidentally downloaded a .torrent file. They meant to click comicbookpodcast.mp3, hit comicbookpodcast.torrent instead.

Within minutes, pretty much all internet stuff stopped working. Obviously bittorrent had downloaded viruses onto the network.

Long story short, someone decided that port 80 was "the Bittorrent Port" and blocked it.

:|

That had to be some manager who liked to tinker with stuff, and not an IT person.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 13, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

No, I mean, they made the same error in writing the question- they said a host was getting a 403 error when he couldn't connect to the webserver in the first place.

Yeah I remember someone posting that a month or two back from a practice test. I think the problem they were trying to highlight was that the client and server were in different subnets and there was no router in between so it was impossible for them to ever communicate. But they described the failure as "the server returns 404 Not Found" which is impossible because the request would never even reach it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Eonwe posted:

Still, :argh: at nearly every "entry level" job I find being "3+ years at random technology."

You should basically ignore the requirements in the job listing for any IT job. If it sounds like something you want to do, and think you can learn to do, then apply. It's their job to screen you, not yours. If you actually meet the listed requirements for a job then you're over-qualified. Such is the nature of IT hiring.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

6882-6888! :cop:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Eonwe posted:

:|

That had to be some manager who liked to tinker with stuff, and not an IT person.

It was when I was in the Navy. I have no idea how good the IS training is for that rate.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NippleFloss posted:

You should basically ignore the requirements in the job listing for any IT job. If it sounds like something you want to do, and think you can learn to do, then apply. It's their job to screen you, not yours. If you actually meet the listed requirements for a job then you're over-qualified. Such is the nature of IT hiring.

You know, that really makes sense. I am probably overthinking the requirements a bit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, always remember that it's the hiring manager's job to screen you out, not yours.

That said, I'm not even hired yet, so :eng99:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Does anyone else here have to deal with Blackberry enterprise support? I want to put a gun in my mouth.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

CLAM DOWN posted:

Does anyone else here have to deal with Blackberry enterprise support? I want to put a gun in my mouth.

I legitimately baked myself a cake when we finally retired our BES server last year.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

If someone has a CCNA and can't answer a basic question about addressing behavior at layer 2 and layer 3 then I would question their learning ability because that is covered to death on the test, and their ability to pass the test but not actually know a major portion of the material would be a pretty big red flag.

That's why I said "basics." They don't need to know how addressing schemes are set up and translated for web applications in a load-balaced datacenter.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I spent ~15 hours over two weeks troubleshooting a BES console server that wouldn't patch. I figure about half that time was chasing down vague red herrings from their escalation team. I also enjoyed answering the same question 3 times over two days of slow email responses. Wound up learning to read their install log better than they did, found the fix, and gave them a detailed report on it. They're pleased with my work and promised to write up a KB article for it.

The only thing the support contract is good for is to CYA when poo poo hits the fan and VIPs want answers.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

psydude posted:

That's why I said "basics." They don't need to know how addressing schemes are set up and translated for web applications in a load-balaced datacenter.

No one else was talking about load balancers or NAT though. Just a basic question about layer 2 and 3 addressing.

That said, no matter how many intervening devices there are if someone whiteboards the traffic flow I'd expect any level of network admin to tell me the source and destination Mac at each hop.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

NippleFloss posted:

No one else was talking about load balancers or NAT though. Just a basic question about layer 2 and 3 addressing.

That said, no matter how many intervening devices there are if someone whiteboards the traffic flow I'd expect any level of network admin to tell me the source and destination Mac at each hop.
Someone hasn't seen software-defined networks gently caress up every previously-simple rule of networking yet.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

NippleFloss posted:

What if the web server isn't behind a firewall and sits bare to the internet? It could happen! :colbert:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Had a really good interview in an office environment that seems like the exact opposite of where I am now. It was weird to see people excited about marketing software when I work for a company who's product literally saves lives and no one gives a poo poo. If anything we would all probably feel best if they burned to the ground, mostly for the irony.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on working in healthcare IT. I had an interview for a Clinical Informatics Analyst position today, think I nailed it. Felt good to get out of scrubs and wear a suit again. I'm excited to get away from the sick and dying, and start walking around in business casual, drinking coffee and telling nurses to reboot their computer.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 14, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

The original question concerned what happens after you type an address into the browser and hit enter. And this was given to interns.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

psydude posted:

The original question concerned what happens after you type an address into the browser and hit enter. And this was given to interns.

The website loads, duh.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Jeoh posted:

The website loads, duh.

I'd bore the recruiter to death, mentioning every piece of electronics I know and OS interrupts and poo poo.

"Okay, so you know how a transistor works? Let's talk about it.."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

orange sky posted:

I'd bore the recruiter to death, mentioning every piece of electronics I know and OS interrupts and poo poo.

"Okay, so you know how a transistor works? Let's talk about it.."

So, before we get ahead of ourselves, let's talk about P and N type doping.

• Locked thread