Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

Those kinds of plants (as well as aluminum smelters and refiners) are typically located very nearby to their power generating stations because of the gigantic load they represent. They often have to call the power company up and time their smelting operations so that the power company can bring power output up at the same time, else it'll cause widespread brownouts or blackouts.

We have to warn the on-site power station when we are going to power cycle the Titan supercomputer so they can be ready for the huge swing in power. That tends to happen when a computer draws ~8.2 MW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Holy poo poo.
Can someone explain what's going on here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfnEuRA7-vo

This video appears to be about the same incident and has some explanation (and some gruesome details of his death). Basically his fatal sin was using a common 600v multimeter to probe a 2300V circuit. It touched off arc flash and sent a threw a mean fireball straight at his face, burning him to death.

An Angry Bug posted:

Please tell me it happens fast enough.

Unfortunately, no.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

SlapActionJackson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfnEuRA7-vo

This video appears to be about the same incident and has some explanation (and some gruesome details of his death). Basically his fatal sin was using a common 600v multimeter to probe a 2300V circuit. It touched off arc flash and sent a threw a mean fireball straight at his face, burning him to death.

Unfortunately, no.

Haha, did you even look? Those two videos are completely unrelated. More than one dude has been fried by an arc flash.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

An Angry Bug posted:

Well, at least it happens fast enough that you don't feel anything.

Nope, you get to spend whatever time you have left (seconds or days depending on how unlucky you are) in intense agony.
I remember reading a story about a poor guy that got arc flashed and lived long enough to drag himself over to some coworkers in another room and tell them that he had "screwed up real bad" before dying.

Arc flash is the main reason I don't gently caress with electricity more powerful than a vehicles 12v system.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

An Angry Bug posted:

Well, at least it happens fast enough that you don't feel anything.

Unfortunately there is literally no one on this planet who can tell you with any authority how fast we lose awareness when we die. Anyone who has that authority is dead and is unable to communicate with us.

Hey look, there's a case of someone using "literally" correctly. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can be fatally electrocuted by a 9 volt battery if you are dumb enough. http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html

Play it safe when electricity is involved.

I've felt a shock from 12 volts before, I was covered in coolant and accidentally leaned on the positive terminal of the battery. That being said, the rules for working safely with electricity are pretty simple and shouldn't be difficult to master.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Do all multimeters feed its entire voltage through the probes in resistance mode? I would expect there to be a resistor or something to prevent shorting it (and doing dumb stuff like kill yourself).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

kastein posted:

You can be fatally electrocuted by a 9 volt battery if you are dumb enough. http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html

Holy poo poo! I didn't have any idea you could die from poking multimeter leads into your skin. That's insane.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Collateral Damage posted:

Do all multimeters feed its entire voltage through the probes in resistance mode? I would expect there to be a resistor or something to prevent shorting it (and doing dumb stuff like kill yourself).

Depends.

Remember, most DMMs these days have resistance measuring scales up to 2 or 20 megohms. You need a couple volts (like, say, 9 volts) to have any chance at measuring that kind of resistance accurately. So if he had it on the highest resistance scale well there you go.

No one thought of someone being determined and stupid enough to intentionally pierce their fingers with the probes, either.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Liquid Communism posted:

Arc flash, the poor bastard. Something in that unit arced, and the resulting explosion turned him into chunky salsa from the resulting heat and explosive pressure wave as the copper went nearly instantly from solid to gaseous state.

It's one of the things they terrified us with in my electrical training courses, because it doesn't really have any warning signs, you just screw up and explode.
What was the guy doing when it happened, though? It looked an awful lot like he was sawing something by hand.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What was the guy doing when it happened, though? It looked an awful lot like he was sawing something by hand.

Presumably turning a crank on the screw gear that was pulling the breaker into position. Those things are heavy and ride on rails to make sure they plug in straight.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
IIRC the guy was trying to rack a large breaker and there was an obstruction preventing it from mounting smoothly. Instead of pulling the breaker out to check what was up he just kept shoving it in until...boom.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I actually have a Simpson 260 and was curious: 1x ohm setting will pass 89mA BUT it powers it from a single D cell battery. The 10,000x ohm setting uses the 9V battery for higher sensitivity but only passes ~30uA into a short circuit.

In short I have no clue how he managed to do it unless it was an older model 260 which can have a 15V battery.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Last time that arc flash video showed up there were some related videos on YouTube of some dude that survived a flash and it showed how he was progressing as he got surgeries to put skin back on his face. It was made by his wife I think to show how well he was doing.
I only watched a little last time and have no inclination to do so again but to be sure, an arc flash may not kill you at all. You may just have your face burned off.

Anyway, I'll try to take some photographs of broken car parts to bring this thread back from the gruesome.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

NitroSpazzz posted:

We have to warn the on-site power station when we are going to power cycle the Titan supercomputer so they can be ready for the huge swing in power. That tends to happen when a computer draws ~8.2 MW.

That poo poo cray.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

kastein posted:

Nope. Its not possible in the way the story describes it.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I thought that a great deal of the Darwin Awards stories were somewhat 'inconclusive' when people started looking for background info or testing to see if things can actually happen that way.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Amykinz posted:

I thought that a great deal of the Darwin Awards stories were somewhat 'inconclusive' when people started looking for background info or testing to see if things can actually happen that way.
Technically speaking the flaw is that its harder to kill yourself with DC than it is with AC. In order to induce fibrillation with DC you need .3 Amps which your typical 9 V battery isn't designed to handle.
EDIT:
If I remember correctly from my biomedical instrumentation book the current required to cause ventricular fibrillation bottoms out at around 60Hz and then starts rising as you go up and down in frequency.

Terrible Robot posted:

Nope, you get to spend whatever time you have left (seconds or days depending on how unlucky you are) in intense agony.
I remember reading a story about a poor guy that got arc flashed and lived long enough to drag himself over to some coworkers in another room and tell them that he had "screwed up real bad" before dying.

Arc flash is the main reason I don't gently caress with electricity more powerful than a vehicles 12v system.
I wouldn't gently caress with car batteries that much either though because even though you won't necessarily create an arc flash there is still a dangerous amount of power there.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 13, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

Nope. Its not possible in the way the story describes it.

Apparently it's documented in some navy accident report somewhere, and I saw some idiot at my college go away in an ambulance with my own two eyes after they hosed up wiring the heart monitor project (and then tested it without having the TA look over their wiring, as they were supposed to) in a microelectronics I lab, which was only powered off a 9V battery, so I'm gonna have to disagree.

They didn't kill themselves, but they definitely hosed up their heartbeat and the EMTs were called. And they didn't pierce the skin, just used the normal conductive gel and contact cups that are always used for heart monitors.

Also, I just stuck a 9V battery across my DMM here at work in current mode (it's good to 20 amps, so I wasn't concerned) and it registered 1.7 amps. That was a partially depleted battery I keep around for testing random stuff, not a fresh battery. Whether they were designed to or not, they can, at least for long enough to stop your heart if you're a big dummy.

(Ohms law, for a minimum of 300-500mA to stop your heart with DC, says your internal resistance would be around 18-30 ohms maximum. Conductivity of blood is supposed to be around 0.667 siemens/m, which gives a total resistance for an average human with a 6 foot arm span of... drumroll... 3/4 of an ohm. At least if I didn't screw up my unit conversions, which is entirely possible.)

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 13, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

kastein posted:

Apparently it's documented in some navy accident report somewhere, and I saw some idiot at my college go away in an ambulance with my own two eyes after they hosed up wiring the heart monitor project (and then tested it without having the TA look over their wiring, as they were supposed to) in a microelectronics I lab, which was only powered off a 9V battery, so I'm gonna have to disagree.
Yes but I know precisely where the flaw in your logic stands that makes my original point completely valid.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Please enlighten me then.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes it's the little things in life.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Navy claims the threshold of potentially fatal current is 30mA, not 3-500mA.

That being said, in the Navy there's a good bit of prank abuse of the megohmmeters, which will shock the everloving doolally out of the victim. That, or charge up a capacitor with said megger and leave it lying around for someone to pick up. Usually you'd only grab it with one hand, though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Navy claims the threshold of potentially fatal current is 30mA, not 3-500mA.

That being said, in the Navy there's a good bit of prank abuse of the megohmmeters, which will shock the everloving doolally out of the victim. That, or charge up a capacitor with said megger and leave it lying around for someone to pick up. Usually you'd only grab it with one hand, though.

My grandfather told me the favorite shop prank back in the day was to charge up an ignition condenser then toss it to someone.

Those snap-action magnetos (the ones that use some sort of black magic inside that makes them have uneven resistance to turning and always snap over and whip out a hot spark no matter how slow you're turning them) are good fun too. We kept one in the machine shop I fooled around in in college specifically to hand to newbies. Most people would fool with it, realize the shaft turned, realize they had to put more force into it at some points to actually make it turn, get a real good grasp on it (clamping their hand over the terminals in the process) and then shock the poo poo out of themselves.

As for the current - 300-500 is what I found for DC on google, it may well be lower. Either way, a 9V battery is easily capable of stopping your heart if you are enough of an inquisitive/insistent idiot with it.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Das Volk posted:

That poo poo cray.

:vince:

This is seriously not getting enough love.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Das Volk posted:

That poo poo cray.

A good post

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

:respek:

There would be a picture and words here but the Imgur app is being a gigantic pile of poo poo right now.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
^^:whatup:

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who caught it!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

kastein posted:

Those snap-action magnetos (the ones that use some sort of black magic inside that makes them have uneven resistance to turning and always snap over and whip out a hot spark no matter how slow you're turning them) are good fun too. We kept one in the machine shop I fooled around in in college specifically to hand to newbies. Most people would fool with it, realize the shaft turned, realize they had to put more force into it at some points to actually make it turn, get a real good grasp on it (clamping their hand over the terminals in the process) and then shock the poo poo out of themselves.

Impulse magneto :eng101:

Oh God that reminds me of a stupid game we played when I was getting my private pilot license in the Air Cadets. The flying school we used had a cutaway Lycoming O-320 (the same engine as in most Cessna 172s) that had a live magneto attached to it. So being a bunch of stupid teenagers we'd get four guys to grab an ignition wire and a fifth to hand-crank the engine until someone had received enough shocks that they cried uncle or dropped their wire.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Play it safe when electricity is involved.

I've felt a shock from 12 volts before, I was covered in coolant and accidentally leaned on the positive terminal of the battery. That being said, the rules for working safely with electricity are pretty simple and shouldn't be difficult to master.

Wait, so you're saying he was...

Bloodrocuted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbTc1SpjZSA

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

Impulse magneto :eng101:

Oh God that reminds me of a stupid game we played when I was getting my private pilot license in the Air Cadets. The flying school we used had a cutaway Lycoming O-320 (the same engine as in most Cessna 172s) that had a live magneto attached to it. So being a bunch of stupid teenagers we'd get four guys to grab an ignition wire and a fifth to hand-crank the engine until someone had received enough shocks that they cried uncle or dropped their wire.

This is why you don't let pilots in the hangar...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MrYenko posted:

This is why you don't let pilots in the hangar...

The hangar? We don't go in the hangar...that's where the Morlocks live.

just kidding we luv u guyz

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"I thought YOU bolted the front axle on"
"no, i thoguht YOU bolted the front axle on"
"then who did....?"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like someone was trying to emulate those forklifts with the wacky wheels that let it move sideways.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I wish there was a backstory for some of these. Although for some you don't really need anything besides "russia"

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Help.... me....

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I seem to recall that rotor being for a time attack car for short sprints and where every bit of weight counts.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I wouldn't put that on a time attack car. Auto-x maybe.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

jamal posted:

I wouldn't put that on a time attack car. Auto-x maybe.

Yeah, I've seen that exact pic in autox circles. I'm wondering if thats the FSP rabbit that only makes it 2 runs before breaking....

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Powershift posted:

I wish there was a backstory for some of these. Although for some you don't really need anything besides "russia"

Speed holes. They make the brakes stop faster. :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Root Bear posted:

Speed holes. They make the brakes stop faster. :smugbert:

Less weight = faster stop. Duh.