Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I should add that to truly enjoy Xenogears you have to not take it seriously. It's as if the writer binged on Evangelion then read the Holy Bible translated directly from Latin to Japanese while 60s American Sci-Fi movies played in the background. Then they ran out of money and the story turns into a visual novel with the occasional brief dungeon crawl, it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
What's really hilarious about Xenogears is that by the time you finish Disc 1, which is like 50 hours of gameplay, you've only seen about 20-30% of the plot. The rest of it happens in huge text dumps on Disc 2 and it's all gibberish.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Draile posted:

The rest of it happens in huge text dumps on Disc 2 and it's all gibberish.

Which is what happens when it doesn't get spread out far enough that you can digest it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Cirosan posted:

Playing Ultima 7 (GOG version) for the first time using the Exult port. The wiki page hasn't been updated since like 2011, so is there anything crucial I should know?

It's a FedEx game. Get this for guy, get a bear rear end for the other guy in the next town over. At one point the fetch quests are nested about five deep.

Unless Exult fixes it, it has a showstopper bug where sleeping at an inn can cause a key to vanish. Best not to.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just got Resident Evil: Revelations(sp?). Anything I should know in particular? Not worried about spoilers, but feel free to use blinders for others. Also, are there any weapons that are trash/godly that I should specifically avoid/use?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Hank Morgan posted:

I love U7 but it is piss easy from a mechanics point of view. Treat it more like a graphic adventure with RPG elements. Most of the stuff is okay on the wiki although it mixes tips for Black Gate, Serpent Isle and even Ultima 6.

In fact I'm just going to reorder the tips and add one or two to make a bit more sense if anyone with wiki access wants to update the page:

I don't see any tips in there for Ultima 6? I haven't played the games, but I'd like to fix the wiki page, so if you could make it super clear which tips belong where, that'd be great.

And does it make sense to have Serpent Isle and Back Gate on their own pages, or are they expansion packs for Ultima 7?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Centipeed posted:

I don't see any tips in there for Ultima 6? I haven't played the games, but I'd like to fix the wiki page, so if you could make it super clear which tips belong where, that'd be great.

And does it make sense to have Serpent Isle and Back Gate on their own pages, or are they expansion packs for Ultima 7?

It's been a loooooong time since I played Ultima 6, but here's what I can recall...

At the start of the game, Lord British will ask you some questions. The answers are in the manual.

It's pretty oldschool, you need to grind to level up.

Your overall course of action should be: assemble a party, get them good gear, grind to a decent level. Get the runes and mantras, cleanse the shrines. (the mantras are the same as previous Ultimas) Find a pirate dude who wants a map, do his looooong quest. Take the silver tablet to the chick in the college, do what she says to meet the gargoyles. Cooperate with them.

There is a mouse. You need her at one point but she's otherwise useless.

A wisp will give you the spell "Armageddon". Do not cast it. If you find a book titled The Big Book of Mantras, take it to the wisp for a ton of gold.

Savor the Plot Twist 2/3 of the way through. Nowadays it's de riguer for an RPG to have seventeen plot twists, but this is the first game I remember where the bad guy turns out to be not the bad guy.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

1redflag posted:

Just got Resident Evil: Revelations(sp?). Anything I should know in particular? Not worried about spoilers, but feel free to use blinders for others. Also, are there any weapons that are trash/godly that I should specifically avoid/use?

-Take either a handgun or a machine gun with you. Never both.
-The rifle is pretty godlike. Its a little less powerful than the magnum, but you will find a whole lot more ammunition for it.
-The first boss is probably the most difficult battle in the whole game due to the infinitely respawning enemies.
-I never felt that stunning the oozes in campaign was reliable, I think you are better off just dealing with them using headshots. In raid mode, it is a lot more reliable to stun and melee them.
-The dodge move can be a life saver once you master it. I don't think you can be aiming. But if you expect a attack, just wait for it and press the stick at the right moment and you will dodge regardless if something is in the way or not.
-The new wall blister enemies will kill you instantly if they grab you. Don't let them get close. Or do just so you can see the brutal death animation.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Centipeed posted:

Those are different games. The expansions were Forge of Virtue for Ultima VII: Black Gate and Silver Seed for Ultima VII: Serpent Isle.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Now that I have a functioning PC again I'm considering really making a go of Arcanum. I played around with a half-Orc with the ugly stick background, and while it was kinda funny at first, convincing literally everyone I talked to to even give me the time of day started to grate while I was still tooling around Shrouded Hills, so I'm thinking of starting over. A couple of questions:

-if I'm planning on going mostly melee with a dabbling of magic, is it still worth it to get Harm? Also, what are the actual worthwhile non-combat magics to get?
-speaking of character progression, is this the kind of game where I can start heavy on melee and slowly veer into wizard supremacy, or will I gently caress myself?
-why do my followers keep picking up random trash and how do I make them stop? Put down that random piece of filament, Virgil.
-are the gear restrictions the unusually-sized races deal with worth the hassle of playing as them?
-should I be bothering to boost persuade/etc, or will magic just let me ignore all that mess like in every other fantasy RPG? Also, is this like Fallout where there are a bunch of trap skills? I'm guessing gambling doesn't see a lot of action.

Also, on an unrelated note, is there any reason not to get the Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut over the augmented edition or whatever?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, on an unrelated note, is there any reason not to get the Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut over the augmented edition or whatever?

The director's cut has some weird bugs that the regular game doesn't, and it doesn't seem like they're going to be fixed any time soon. The new game + stuff is kind of nice, and the commentary is pretty interesting, even though it's pretty hastily added.

If they're the same price, I'd go with the director's cut, but it's not without its flaws.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Now that I have a functioning PC again I'm considering really making a go of Arcanum. I played around with a half-Orc with the ugly stick background, and while it was kinda funny at first, convincing literally everyone I talked to to even give me the time of day started to grate while I was still tooling around Shrouded Hills, so I'm thinking of starting over. A couple of questions:

-if I'm planning on going mostly melee with a dabbling of magic, is it still worth it to get Harm? Also, what are the actual worthwhile non-combat magics to get?
-speaking of character progression, is this the kind of game where I can start heavy on melee and slowly veer into wizard supremacy, or will I gently caress myself?
-why do my followers keep picking up random trash and how do I make them stop? Put down that random piece of filament, Virgil.
-are the gear restrictions the unusually-sized races deal with worth the hassle of playing as them?
-should I be bothering to boost persuade/etc, or will magic just let me ignore all that mess like in every other fantasy RPG? Also, is this like Fallout where there are a bunch of trap skills? I'm guessing gambling doesn't see a lot of action.

It's been a long while, so apply a bit of salt here.

- Harm is a great attack spell and remains useful throughout the game to snipe dangerous foes. Any build that uses magic to any degree should get it.
- You can do that, but bear in mind that there is a ton more skills to buy, than you will likely ever have points for, so starting heavy on melee means you'll never be an ubermage. That said, magic works great as support and you need some weapon skill to deal with technological foes anyway. You main issue is likely going to be how much int vs strength to get.
- Alas, that one you have to live with. Best option is to beat them to it and toss things in a trash can or some other container to prevent them picking it up again.
- Normal odd-sized armor is easy enough to get, but good pieces later in the game are rare. There are a few, but I'd probably avoid it, at least for a first character.
- Gambling is a trap skill. Expert haggle can be worth it to force shops to buy anything, rather than having to run to several places to empty your inventory. Pickpocket is also a bit useless, since you'll rarely get anything but junk, and gold is generally plentiful. Pursuasion is worth getting. One of your guys should also have Spot Trap as there are some nasty ones here and there.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Centipeed posted:

There was a single tip for U6 mixed in that I had excluded from my post. I've edited my original post to make the division between the U7 series of games clearer.

I'd keep both games on the same page. They are practically identical from a mechanics point of view and the Gog.com version just includes them as a single package anyway.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

When you play melee you're definitely going to get into magic because melee makes tech mostly obsolete/tedious. The gear restrictions for weird sized people can be severe, but half-orc is such a beast in melee it's not really going to matter. I recall correctly, persuade is still pretty useful, I wore an oversized smoking jacket for most of the game for exactly this reason. For magic, get the buffs and heals first, and if you're having problems in the mid-game the summons can be useful distractions--your ogre will do disgusting amounts of damage. Arcanum is a pretty fun game but magic is far easier to use than the tech stuff because it has a better power-curve, it's more powerful in the long run, and it doesn't require micro-management.

And Deus Ex Human Revolution is an awful game, regardless of edition. Horrible boss fights, embarrassing level design, clunky shooting, and an upgrade tree that removes all interesting choices.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 13, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wolfsheim posted:

There's an unofficial patch going around, but I haven't been able to locate it. Might want to ask in the RPG thread or something.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Smerdyakov posted:

And Deus Ex Human Revolution is an awful game, regardless of edition. Horrible boss fights, embarrassing level design, clunky shooting, and an upgrade tree that removes all interesting choices.

It's worth noting that this is most definitely a minority opinion, and not crazy helpful to somebody playing the game for the first time.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Wolfsheim posted:

Harm is very worthwhile. It's one of the most powerful ranged attacks in the game. It'll be very effective even if you mostly pump strength and other melee stuff. The Black Necromantic college also has Conjure Spirit as the second spell, and that has a couple of cute uses throughout the game. Charm from the Mental college can get you through some dialogue checks, if you don't have the stats to deal with people.

The next most useful spell is Teleportation, but that's the final spell in Conveyance, so you'd need to invest heavily into magic to get there.

Wolfsheim posted:

The biggest problem will be the stat requirements to learn the higher level spells. Melee/caster hybrid is very viable though, I remember having a great time with a fighter using the Temporal school. Hasten is a great spell, and Tempus Fugit is goddamn ridiculous.

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't remember if anything can be done about that. Just clear their inventories at town and sell all that crap I guess.

Wolfsheim posted:

It's fine. It only affects the torso slot, so you won't be gimped all that much.

Wolfsheim posted:

The Charm spell can help you in some cases, but if you want to be diplomatic, you'll have to put some points down. Persuasion is a great skill in that if you max it out and do the expert training quest, any recruitable party member in the game will join you, no questions asked, all restrictions are lifted. There are traps around, but you can mostly just run through them. Gambling sucks.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Wolfsheim posted:

[quote="Wolfsheim" post="429596210"]

Harm is pretty baller early on, and you don't have to really invest anything besides a single point to get it, so it's well worth it. There's a lot of nice little buffs you can get like agility of fire or whatever its called, that just boosts your dex. As for purely noncombat spells there's an unlock spell that will get you through pretty much any chest/door. There is an invisibility spell if you ever need to sneak around. There are a couple temporal spells like haste or tempitus fugit that will let you go faster, I just cast it in town and zoom around. Then there's the all important most useful spell in the game, teleport. You will spend a fair amount of time traveling between places, especially if you want to do the ancient god quest, get dog(well worth not being able to ride on trains) or just discover everything you can. Teleport takes you straight to any place you have already discovered and it's absolutely wonderful.

Wolfsheim posted:

That's pretty much the best way to become a master wizard. Because you get exp, based not only on quests, but on how fast and hard you can hit things. So swordsmen will gain exp very quickly.

Wolfsheim posted:

You can't. Luckily so long as you aren't bashing open every container, it's not that huge of a problem. You can just clean out their inventories and throw poo poo in garbage cans every once in awhile.

Wolfsheim posted:

You can find plenty of small size and medium size equipment. It's really only half-ogres who have trouble fitting in. They can't carry smaller guns because their hands are too big, not an issue if you're playing as a mage. They do have platemail you can get, but it's very difficult to find. They make up for it by being ungodly strong. If you get the 'ran away with the circus' bonus right off the bat and boost your str, the game is absolutely the most easy thing you will ever do. You will split timber wolves in half with a rapier. That will lower your int though and make casting difficult to swing into.

The real reason you would want to not play as a half ogre, if you want to do magic or tech, is their lower than normal int level which restricts both. You can counter it of course with a background, but you'll lose some of the benefits of choosing ogre in the first place, so it's really just for RP purposes.

For the easiest most power gamey setup for a mage though you will either want to be elf or half-elf. I would go half-elf just because they have the fewest penalties and pretty much everyone tends to like them well enough.

Wolfsheim posted:

A lot of quests and interactions are locked behind charisma, persuade and intelligence. If you don't have like 3 points in persuade and ~16 int/charisma you will miss out. You will get higher rewards, access to companions who would be otherwise blocked as well as just more companions at the same time. And there's a lot of cool content you can get access to with characters like Magnus, Virgil, Loghaire, Raven, ect in your party at the same time. So if you want the best/most out of your game you will want to be good at socializing.

You can however definitely just run through cutting everyone in half. You can actually complete the game by just murdering everyone in sight. There are notes with the main quest information on pretty much every NPC. Even still you can get pushed along the main quest no matter your skills(which is actually funny for retarded characters because it's basically everyone just abusing your stupidity, and the final big bad is just like 'what the gently caress' and just feels sorry for you in because you were basically used as a pawn.)

Gambling can actually be pretty good, if you already have high int, it's only 5 points investment, you can gamble against shopkeepers and get a bunch of stuff for free if you're hurting for money. There's a lot of minor utility things that you can get out of skills you would think are useless:
haggling - You can buy things shopkeepers have on their don't sell list. Eg the clothes right off their backs and some of them have really good items like the techno dwarf armor in Caladon.
pick pocket - same goes for that, eg a right you can steal that gives you +2 constitution. Another ring that gives like +2 charisma +3 beauty.

but there's a fair number of worthless ones
pick locks - can mainly be done by companions or magic more easily though.
disarms traps - there's really only one spot with a ton of traps in the game and they throw like 15 detect trap scrolls at you in that dungeon.
prowl - mages do it better.
spot traps - few traps so not a big deal.
backstab - i guess it's ok if you're playing in turn based mode, but I never did.

A few asides you should probably know:

-In Ashbury(you can get there by train early on) there is an inn on the north east side of town where a gnome is kicking a dog to death. If you don't get there quickly the dog will die. Worthless Mutt is the most powerful companion in the game besides Virgil, but you won't be able to ride trains with him(not a big deal if you are going mage anyways.) He is the only companion in the game who gets master level melee. He is actually so powerful he can make leveling for you slower early game, because he will kill your opponents so quickly.

-If you ever see a name of a character you haven't met or don't know. Or if you just need background information like where they live go to the basement of the hall of records in Tarant and ask the clerk. There's like 3-5 instances where it will help greatly in quests or potentially be the only way to complete said quest.

-There is a quest to become a demi-god which will make you obscenely powerful. It is unmarked in your journal and is sort of a puzzle quest. A researcher on gods at the university in Tarant can get you set on the right path with a book and a wall drawing in his office. (+4 dex +3 firearms +3 melee +3 dexterity +3 pickpocketing +3 persuade + 100 HP +100 fatigue +30 resist magic +30 resist damage and a different game ending slide)

-If you do ever play as a technology character: In Tarant University there are books that increase tech expertise in an area you aren't familiar with. They won't let you create items from learned schematics, but they will let you create items from bought or found schematics. Like for example the best gun in the game.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Hank Morgan posted:

There was a single tip for U6 mixed in that I had excluded from my post. I've edited my original post to make the division between the U7 series of games clearer.

I'd keep both games on the same page. They are practically identical from a mechanics point of view and the Gog.com version just includes them as a single package anyway.

Thanks - I've updated the wiki page to include your edits.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Thanks for keeping that wiki alive, you beautiful goons.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hey goons. What can you tell me about The Last Story?

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
In the next week I'll be starting Dust: An Elysian Tale and Heroes Of Might And Magic III. Any pointers?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Eggie posted:

Heroes Of Might And Magic III. Any pointers?

It's best to have one hero do all your fighting. Give him Logistics if at all possible. Starting with Solmyr breaks the game.

Air and Earth magic are great, Fire is blah, Water sucks.

a dude posted:

My opinion: shooting and level design are fine. The boss fights are annoying because they force you to do it a certain way, however the Director's Cut fixes that. As for the upgrade tree, about 40% of the upgrades are poop, and you get enough Praxis to choose all the good ones, so yeah, in the long term there's no real choice. Still a good game overall.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Deus Ex: get the ability to punch through walls. It'll pay itself off.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Eggie posted:

In the next week I'll be starting Dust: An Elysian Tale. Any pointers?
The article on beforeiplay covers all the most important things. All I'll add is:

-If it seems like you have to do some silly or ridiculous series of events to get somewhere or achieve something, you don't have the item or ability required for it. Having that will always make those places a snap. The game never expects unusual feats of dexterity from the player.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Chinaman7000 posted:

Deus Ex: get the ability to punch through walls. It'll pay itself off.

Addendum: if you're trying to go for non-lethal, Kool-Aid-Man-ing through breakable walls will kill any enemies on the opposite side of that wall. This doesn't matter a lot but I can think of at least one place where your options are 'walk into a fight' or 'bust through a wall' and there's no third option.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
You can break the breakable walls with any of your weapons, too. If you know where to find them (either with the aug or just by knowing what to look for) you don't need to punch through them.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Gynovore posted:

As for the upgrade tree, about 40% of the upgrades are poop,

On that note, don't buy any of the radar upgrades. All any of them do is clutter up your radar with too many drat dots.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Smerdyakov posted:

When you play melee you're definitely going to get into magic because melee makes tech mostly obsolete/tedious.

The charged rings, featherweight axe, and PYROTECHNIC AXE would like to have a word with you.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Thanks for the Arcanum tips, guys. Started over with an elf with the charlatan's apprentice background, and it's hilarious how all the same NPCs who were constantly making GBS threads on my half-Orc are now tripping over themselves to be helpful. I'm not quite as combat effective (though buying dodge/melee training was ridiculously cheap), but using Harm like a machine-gun and then blacking out while Sodd Mead-Mug mops up the rest is nothing if not hilarious. I'm guessing all the clues pointing me from Shrouded Hills -> Dernholm -> Blackroot are basically the beginner's path? Or is Arcanum a little more forgiving with sequence-breaking then Fallout 1+2 if I just decide to hoof it to Tarant?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Wolfsheim posted:

Or is Arcanum a little more forgiving with sequence-breaking then Fallout 1+2 if I just decide to hoof it to Tarant?

You can go to Tarant pretty much off the bat while maybe dodging a few wolves. The bottlenecks are more the dungeons than areas of the world map. You should be fine, but many an aspiring technologist was chewed up and spit out by the Mines or whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

alcharagia posted:

Hey goons. What can you tell me about The Last Story?

You'll be stuck controlling just Zael for the first ten hours or so, but eventually you'll be able to issue commands (spells and skill selections) to party members.

If you see the chapter number skip one (I think the first is somewhere around Chapter 10-ish), it means there's a sidequest Chapter available somewhere in the city. It'll stay available throughout the whole game, you just need to go looking for it.

Do the sidequests to help Horace as they become available. Completing them all will enable him to remove curses from weapons at his shop late in the game.

There's a man by the arena selling Prank Bananas. Buy as many as you can and shoot as many people as you can with them using your crossbow :unsmigghh:.

Use Gnome Bronze/Silver/Gold as often as you get them for upgrades. You'll get more than you need by the game's end.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sentient Toaster posted:

For the PSP version [of Tactics Ogre] I recommend against using any guides aside from beforeiplay. Make whatever story choices you want and roll with the punches. Later on you'll be able to revisit past events and make different decisions. You can experience everything on one save file. And maybe one last thing to add to the PSP Tactics Ogre page:

-If you're having trouble rescuing an NPC, try sending out a naked cleric. The AI will rabidly pursue it. It gets turns very often due to low WT. You can give it a Lobber to huck healing and support items at the NPC you're trying to save.

I can't help but feel that there is something missing from the wiki, because I read that, played Tactics Ogre, was doing alright, and then got into an unskippable fight between just the main character and a boss which I simply cannot win, and I'm not sure if I should be grinding a lot more or if I just picked The Wrong Class for the MC.

moller posted:

The charged rings, featherweight axe, and PYROTECHNIC AXE would like to have a word with you.

People keep saying that tech is underpowered, but I played through with a mostly-tech (all-tech, once I realized how completely goddamn useless Virgil is) party, and by the end the party was basically a Brotherhood of Steel cosplay event escorted by an army of killer robots and with ball lightning guns for everyone. And even before the endgame I was curbstomping most things pretty reliably.

Magic may be overpowered in Arcanum but tech is pretty :krad:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Anything useful to know for MGS:Ground Zeroes? I hear it's really short?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Bigass Moth posted:

It is, but there's lots of side stuff and it's super replayable, both for score and general guard fuckery.

Tag everything. It makes it so much easier to sneak around. You'll be taught how to do this right away.

One important thing to know is that different knockout methods have different times. A tranq'd/choked guard will eventually get back up and raise the alert. I believe the length, from longest to shortest, is tranq, choke, melee knockout. To keep someone down for good, get behind them and hold them up by aiming a gun (even a tranq pistol) at them, and using the radio button+right stick to have them get down. If another guard sees them, they'll go check out what the hell he's doing, and get him back up. Use this to get behind THAT guy and create a hilarious chain of holdups. You can walk away from a down guard safely: they'll assume you're still there aiming at them. Guards will also get up on their own if a combat alert starts.

The language of "alert" can be confusing. Guards entering alert status don't actually sound an alert, the kind that counts against your score or gets everyone called to your position. They just investigate the area they thought something happened: where they thought they saw a person, where they heard a gunshot, and so on. The alerts that count will be the guard calling "Contact!" and labeled in-game as "entering combat status", or something similar, I know it says combat specifically.

The "call them" voice command makes the guard yell for help. Useful to gather a bunch of people to hold up in one area, bad if you're like me and thought it was a "call them and tell them all clear" button :v:

Guard AI is better than it was: a guard cut-off mid radio will prompt HQ to send an investigation team. A guard not calling back after reporting something and saying they're going to check it out will prompt the same.

Once you know where stuff is, try doing it again out of order, both the main op and side ops. It's fun for finding new routes, challenging yourself, and hearing Kaz ask you what the gently caress you're doing.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 14, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Eggie posted:

Heroes Of Might And Magic III.

I wrote a bunch of stuff in the Gog.com thread and I'm too lazy to do it again so I'm just going to quote myself. Will probably make more sense when you actually play the game a bit though.

Recommended mods:

Kanfy posted:

Grab Horn of the Abyss (well-made community expansion) and the HD patch alongside with the base game.

Note that you can't play the official campaigns with HotA but it doesn't overwrite your normal HoMM III so you can have both.

Campaign order, skills, some early game stuff:

Kanfy posted:

Fake edit: Wait, since you're talking about Centaur Captains I assume you've started with Shadow of Death which is the second of the two expansions. The order is a bit weird in the Campaign menu but the "proper" order is Restoration of Erathia -> Armageddon's Blade -> Shadow of Death). Try the RoE campaigns first, they're pretty much meant for beginners. The expansion campaigns are for more experienced players and noticeably more difficult.

One tip for HoMM III campaigns: Always collect as many permanent bonuses as you can on each map, primarily spells and stat bonuses. Also when leveling up, avoid the following skills on your primary hero because they're crap:

- First Aid, Learning, Eagle Eye, Scholar

First Aid scales really poorly, Learning's +15% exp bonus is pointless since by itself it requires several levels and takes a skill slot, Eagle Eye is far too unreliable (60% chance to learn a spell used by enemy in battle) and Scholar is only remotely useful on the largest of maps and on secondary heroes since you can usually just go and learn the spells yourself.

However always get these skills if possible because they're amazing on practically every hero:

- Air Magic, Earth Magic, Logistics, Offense, Wisdom, Armorer

Air and Earth Magics are insanely powerful and have a ton of useful spells, Logistics improves your hero movement which is always great, Offense is a very big +30% boost to all melee damage, Wisdom gives you access to high-level spells (note though that not all factions can build Mage Guild 4 or 5) and Armorer is a solid -15% to damage taken which is great in a game in which you want as little losses per battle as possible.

As for the other stuff, my personal opinions:

• Estates is good on secondary heroes but a waste of a skill slot on the guy that actually does things.
  • Artillery is only useful early on and only if you have access to a Ballista so its usefulness is limited. Don't use a Ballista without Artillery if you have Blind because the random shots will often hit the blinded stack for non-existent damage and allow them to act again.
  • Ballistics helps a lot against enemy towns but does nothing otherwise. Not a bad choice since siege battles are often rough but does nothing 90% of the time. Strongly consider it if you're lacking in flying troops because without Ballistics the catapult's aim is hilariously poor.
  • Same deal with Resistance, except replace "towns" with "heroes". Good to have against 'em, useless against most neutrals unless you're facing Faerie Dragons or something.
  • Archery ranges from good to must-have depending on how many ranged units your town has. You can rarely go wrong with it and if you happen to get it as Tower it's hilariously powerful.
  • Leadership is okay but usually only necessary if you're using creatures from many different factions for some reason since you get +1 Morale just from having all creatures from the same faction and Morale and Luck do nothing above +3. Completely useless for Necropolis since undead have no morale.
  • Luck on the other hand is very useful since you inherently have 0 luck and lucky hits are often devastating since they're guaranteed double damage.
  • Tactics depends entirely on your army composition, it's not a must-have skill but it can be very useful since you can protect your ranged troops or move your own units closer to or further away from the enemy. Try it out and see how you feel about it.
  • Necromancy is nerfed to half strength in Horn of the Abyss for a reason, only Necropolis can make good use of it but it's incredibly powerful on them. It becomes utterly broken if by some chance you manage to find all the pieces of the Cloak of the Undead King which on a Necromancer means that instead of Skeletons, you get an equal amount of Liches.
  • Diplomacy is really interesting. It can either break the game in half or do absolutely nothing. I'd say take it if you can because getting even one decently-sized stack of neutrals to join you can swing the game massively in your favor. It works on anything from Peasants to Black Dragons but the chance of joining is higher if your army is stronger and composed of creatures of the same faction as the neutrals, amongst other things. This can easily snowball as getting one stack of neutrals increases your army strength, thus making the next stack more likely to join you and so forth. Of course, once all neutrals are gone or the map designer has set neutrals to "Never join" (which is rare), it does nothing.
  • Pathfinding's usefulness depends entirely on the map and your faction. If the entire map is grassland it has no effect whatsoever, but if there's a lot of Snow, Rough, Swamp or Sand terrain it'll make moving on that terrain much faster. One thing to keep in mind is that all creatures have "native" terrain on which they get bonuses and don't suffer from decreased movement. Tower armies won't need Pathfinding to move on snow for example, nor do Fortress armies need it on swamp. However if you have even one non-native unit in your army, the whole army will suffer the full movement penalty so keep that in mind.
  • Same deal with Navigation. Utterly worthless when you're not sailing but a massive +150% movement bonus while on a boat. Consider the map and choose accordingly.
  • Intelligence is usually good to have, at Expert it doubles spell points which is never bad. Remember that ending your turn in a town with a Mage Guild will fully replenish your mana, so if you already have high Knowledge and easy access to towns/magic wells it may not be necessary.
  • Scouting is one of the worse skills in the game but not 100% useless. It's a pretty decent pick for a secondary hero that runs around exploring but it takes a valuable skill slot and does nothing when you already know the terrain around you.
  • Mysticism is worse than Intelligence since it doesn't scale at all. It's barely above "crap" tier because it can be useful on some maps that don't have a lot of wells or towns, but there are usually better choices because extra 2-4 mana per turn isn't that much.
  • Sorcery is good in theory but in practice you'll be spending more time casting buffs and debuffs instead of damage spells and it doesn't help with those at all. Useless on most physical heroes, it's not terrible for a spellcaster hero but don't pick it over better skills.
  • Water Magic isn't as must-have as Air or Earth Magics but it does have a few spells that benefit a ton from Expert level, namely Bless, Prayer and Forgetfulness. If you're fortunate enough to have Prayer in your spellbook, grab it because Mass Prayer is one of the best spells in the game.
  • Fire Magic is the least useful of the four Magic skills but it's still nice to have if you have the spells for it. Curse and Berserk work really well with Expert Fire Magic but the lack of adventure map spells makes it less desirable than the other three and "good" factions get Bless instead of Curse in their mage guilds. Blind is one of the best spells in the game but it does its job even without Fire Magic, although FM does make it even better.

Think that covers them all. There are a lot of strategies and other small things but experiment with stuff and you'll figure what works and what doesn't. One last thing that comes to mind about town management and early game, when choosing what to build in a town you should usually focus on getting a Capitol up unless playing on a Small map. Once you know what you're doing you can get certain creature dwellings early to clear neutrals faster but most of the time your hero's starting troops + first day troops from your castle + the starting troops of a hero hired from a Tavern all combined into one army on your first turn are enough to take care of the weak enemies near your starting area. One big exception to this rule is Stronghold as you can get their highest tier units as early as the first week which may very well be worth it if you have the resources to pull it off. But even with them a Capitol first is the safer choice.

Also avoid spending resources and turns on upgrading creature dwellings and instead build ones you don't have yet so that you can start gaining more every week. There are only a few creature dwellings I'd recommend upgrading early such as Gremlins to Master Gremlins for Tower, Wood Elves to Grand Elves for Rampart or Archers to Marksmen for Castle.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
What can people tell me for Path of Exile? Nearly everything I can find is for endgame builds, and while the game does incredibly heavily incentivize building towards a very specific goal from the word go, I could still use some basics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Eggie posted:

Heroes Of Might And Magic III. Any pointers?

There's so many things I can't tell you them all in a post.

Heroes 3 is a game that you have to have the manual in your hand or on a 2nd monitor to play properly.

You're going to die, a lot.

Alternatively, if you haven't already played a ton of HOMM, learn the basics with HOMM 5 or 6 which are much more user-friendly, then move to 3 when you're pretty good on the mechanics. (Even then though HOMM 3 is more complex in some ways)

There's a whole lot of obtuse poo poo that you really need the manual for. Units have all kinds of abilities that you need to know about, unit strengths are represented using this annoying vocabulary (which is more, a pack of orcs, or a throng of elves? For gently caress's sake!)

Its a loving brilliant game but its really complicated and pretty drat hard.

Start on a very easy difficulty. Be careful about engagements, only engage enemies you're confident you can beat without losing a ton of troops. Pyrrhic victories usually aren't worth it, because then you have to waste a week rebuilding.

Kanfy posted:

Also avoid spending resources and turns on upgrading creature dwellings and instead build ones you don't have yet so that you can start gaining more every week. There are only a few creature dwellings I'd recommend upgrading early such as Gremlins to Master Gremlins for Tower, Wood Elves to Grand Elves for Rampart or Archers to Marksmen for Castle.

This is very good advise. Always build unit producing buildings first, or buildings which increase the population of units. Especially do this towards the end of a week. On day 7 always build a unit producing building if you can afford it. You're going to want to have at least 2 heroes with decent armies pretty early in the game, which means you need a solid population.

Necromancer/Necropolis is extremely powerful because you can mitigate unit losses through the Necromancy ability.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 14, 2014

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Bigass Moth posted:

-Your tranquilizer loses effectiveness on higher difficulties. On hard, they sleep for much less time than on normal, so you don't want to linger in that area. I don't have any real data but I want to say it's something like 10 minutes on normal and 5 on hard.

-On the main mission, and possibly some of the extra missions, enemies spawn in at certain checkpoints. This means you should be even more cautious when heading to and from objectives, since you may want to hide anybody you knocked out or possibly leave them as a distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

theshim posted:

What can people tell me for Path of Exile? Nearly everything I can find is for endgame builds, and while the game does incredibly heavily incentivize building towards a very specific goal from the word go, I could still use some basics.

Been a while since I played it, but here's how it was some months ago.

You can, in theory, respec how many times you want. However you get a limited number of respec points (basically removing a skill and getting a skill point back) from quests and have to buy/find and use a certain item to get more. Doing a full respec of a high level character is expensive enough that you might as well make a new character.
Because of this, it's not a terrible idea to have a certain path (build) in the skill tree in mind. It looks huge, but it's not that hard to reach most nodes. There should be a skill tree planner on the PoE homepage that can be useful.

Whenever you find a new skill gem just chuck it in your gear and see if it's fun. A lot of skills are more viable than you'd first imagine. If you don't like it just swap it or take it out.

Don't be afraid to ditch an old skill gem for a new one if the new skill is more fun or seems better. Skill gems level up very fast at lower levels.

If you find an item with 5 or 6 linked slots hold onto that poo poo, they are very rare (especially 6-links) and worth a ton on the market.

Speaking of market. There is no gold. All trading is done item to item. There are some items called "currency items" that function like money, but prices can vary from day to day. Don't sell items that claim to alter gear to vendors, it's probably a currency item!