Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I agree but we get quite a few people coming into this and the CHat thread asking about it.
Oh, I know. Just offering my terrible opinion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Leperflesh posted:

eBay has three issues for me. First, what something is listed at/buy it now is not necessarily what it sells for, so you really have to just watch auctions and see what the final sale price was, assuming it sold at all.
Filter your search by "Sold Auctions".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

redbackground posted:

Big waste of time, IMO.

Well that's a little disheartening. I mean... just as a for example. I have three copies of Marvel Premiere Featuring Doctor Strange #3. I don't need three copies, but that's how many my dad bought, because he was a big Doctor Strange fan. The raw value of these books, according to that link, is somewhere between maybe $5 and maybe $35 each, depending on where exactly the condition lies. At $5, it's worth keeping in a good bag and board, to preserve the value until I sell it. If they're as nice as an 8.5, they're still not quite worth having graded, but maybe worth the extra twenty cents or so to put into archival-grade mylar bags? If BSS says those are better? And it's worth a few minutes of my time to figure out how much they're worth, because I would happily sell two of these copies.

I have a ton of books like that. The really high value ones (like $100+ even in their current condition) are obvious candidates for grading and slabbing if/when I decide to sell them, but only a small handful of my comics fit that category. And the large majority that are worth $1 or less, I just bag and board to keep them reasonably nice for when I want to read them later, but clearly cheaper polypropylene bags are adequate because who cares if they yellow a little or whatever is going to happen if I use these bags. Unless BSS says "oh yeah always use cast polyproylene they're worth the extra 3 cents per bag" or something.

But even if you're not interested in ever selling your comics, having a value for insurance purposes is worthwhile. I have a homeowners' insurance policy, but declaring the actual value of things like artwork, jewelry, and comic books is a very good way to avoid a fight after (say) a housefire or a theft, about how much your stuff was worth. I would hope that would be relevant to a lot of BSS goons even if they have no interest in comic books as some kind of investment (and I'm well aware that as far as investments go, comic books are loving horrible.) I don't buy comic books as investments, I buy them to enjoy, but I happen to have amassed a collection with some value, and with a lot of books I don't care about and would be happy to sell, provided the proceeds are enough to make it worth my time.

CapnAndy posted:

Filter your search by "Sold Auctions".

OK, so here's a good example, I'll use that copy of doctor strange I just mentioned.

here's the general eBay search for this issue; there's four results, but two of them are part of bundles. I filter by sold items, and get one result. It sold for $6.99 plus $4.19 shipping. Reading the description, this was no mint condition copy, but exactly what grade was it?

quote:

Item Condition - Has several creases on the spine, a crease in the corner of the cover, some creases in the back cover, a few very small rips at the edges, and page discoloration. The pages are intact.

As far as I can tell, this could be anything from a 4 to maybe a 7+? If it's a 4, it's right on the money as far as comicspriceguide is concerned, but if it's a 6, it'd suggest comicspriceguide is off by 50%.

But it's a single data point, and that's not enough to make a judgement on. And now I do this for another hundred comic books?

I'm not saying this isn't a useful suggestion, I was just hoping the answer would be "oh yeah, such-and-such site is well-known as having pretty accurate prices, but ignore theircompetitor.com because their prices are terrible overestimates."

e. I realized I was dumb and by changing my search to just "Marvel Premiere #3" I got a lot more results. It seems the results at various grades are mostly in-line with compicspriceguide, with a few above and a few below guidance. I think I can comfortably valuate my copy at around 7 or 7.5, for maybe $15 to $20.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 13, 2014

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The correct answer is all comics are worthless and the ones actually worth money won't get you near what you'd like. So just enjoy reading them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unmature posted:

The correct answer is all comics are worthless and the ones actually worth money won't get you near what you'd like. So just enjoy reading them.

Hang on minute, I got this one here it's the one where Superman dies, that's gotta be worth a pretty penny. Superman don't die every day now, do he?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Hang on minute, I got this one here it's the one where Superman dies, that's gotta be worth a pretty penny. Superman don't die every day now, do he?

And I got some foil/embossed/3-D covers. That poo poo has got to be worth something, right.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

I got X-men 1 and I have 20 copies and there are a bunch of different covers!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Has Constantine ever met: Blue Devil, Neron, Trigon, Etrigan, Zauriel?

If not why not

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

greatn posted:

If not why not

The last three recently in Justice League Dark comics.

Was he completely kept away from the DCU while at Vertigo? I know it was meant to be a big deal when he popped up at the end of Brightest Day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

The last three recently in Justice League Dark comics.

Was he completely kept away from the DCU while at Vertigo? I know it was meant to be a big deal when he popped up at the end of Brightest Day.

Yes when he was part of Vertigo he was kept apart from the DCU.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. I've only been reading Sandman since it went on sale when Overture #1 came out and it's funny how kinda packed with DC stuff it was for the few issues before Vert.
Some of it was really interesting like the issue about Element Girl.

bobkatt013 posted:

The last storyline has appearances by Superman, Batman, Martian Manhunter, and Darkseid sitting.

Hmm. I'm at the Brief Lives stuff and I think any DC stuff completely dropped off since Vertigo got on the cover.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 14, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. I've only been reading Sandman since it went on sale when Overture #1 came out and it's funny how kinda packed with DC stuff it was for the few issues before Vert.

The last storyline has appearances by Superman, Batman, Martian Manhunter, and Darkseid sitting.

Also PREZ!

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 14, 2014

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

greatn posted:

If not why not

I think he met Etrigan in one of his early SWAMP THING appearances. I know they both were showing up in the book around the same time but they may not have actually crossed paths.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Leperflesh posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check out ComicBookDB. I'm sort of surprised that with the breadth of BSS, there's no thread about the collecting/grading side of the hobby. Maybe it's due to the age range of BSSers? Not as much interest in the silver age and older books that are somewhat more expensive to collect?

Grading leads to speculation, speculation leads to foil covers, foil covers leads to suffering.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I dunno. Casually selling comics on eBay can be more trouble than it is worth. You have to worry about the crazy guy with a microscope complaining that your 8.2 book is actually 7.9 and either refund or suffer bad feedback. Also, don't forget spending time and money on bulletproof packaging as well as the 10% (including your shipping fees) that eBay takes. I usually don't bother selling stuff under $15. Of course I label most of my stuff as reader copies, sell in lots, and let them know that I am not a professional grader.

I wish you were around a few months ago when I tossed a huge stack of bags and boards that had accumulated from my binding projects.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hmm. I'm at the Brief Lives stuff and I think any DC stuff completely dropped off since Vertigo got on the cover.

Sandman never fully leaves the DCU-- it just gets a lot more subtle about how it works things in. It doesn't beat you over the head about how Hawkman's daughter-in-law is doing this, or how Swamp Thing's government agent buddy is doing that, but this is all still part of the DNA of the series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, Lyta and Hector Hall were minor but established DC characters before Sandman started.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

I got X-men 1 and I have 20 copies and there are a bunch of different covers!

You fool! The only one that's worth anything is the one that's all the covers put together!

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, Lyta and Hector Hall were minor but established DC characters before Sandman started.

As were Cain and Able. I mean those particular versions of Cain and Able. Most of the dream characters were hosts of various horror anthologies from the seventies. And Destiny was one as well.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just to clarify, Sandman wasn't a Vertigo comic until #47.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sporklift posted:

I dunno. Casually selling comics on eBay can be more trouble than it is worth. You have to worry about the crazy guy with a microscope complaining that your 8.2 book is actually 7.9 and either refund or suffer bad feedback. Also, don't forget spending time and money on bulletproof packaging as well as the 10% (including your shipping fees) that eBay takes. I usually don't bother selling stuff under $15. Of course I label most of my stuff as reader copies, sell in lots, and let them know that I am not a professional grader.

I wish you were around a few months ago when I tossed a huge stack of bags and boards that had accumulated from my binding projects.

I had no intention of selling on eBay - someone suggested looking there for pricing. I figured I'd sell stuff in SA-Mart. I hear you on the hassle and packaging, though.

I hate to keep harping on it, but my first goal is to document a reasonable value for the whole collection, for insurance purposes.

Unmature posted:

SirDan3k posted:

Grading leads to speculation, speculation leads to foil covers, foil covers leads to suffering.

Amusing but I would like to assure you that I have no illusions in this regard. My investments are in a well-balanced portfolio of low-cost no-load index-based mutual funds. Comic books have been an on-again-off-again hobby since I was ten. I saw the bubble that happened in the 80s and (especially) 90s, and I was aware enough at the time that it was speculation and didn't get involved. Collecting comics I'll never read, buying up piles of #1s and alternate covers and foil additions and all that poo poo has never interested me. The only books I have multiple copies of, are ones that were parts of collections I was given.

Grading lets me estimate a value for the collection so I can insure it with a replacement value, and it lets me fairly price any books I eventually want to sell. Folks saying "oh comics are worthless grading is dumb" are probably used to having to convince bright-eyed neophytes that no, they are not going to make tons of money by speculating on the latest X-Whatever #1, so I understand where that comes from, but it's not exactly helpful and it is kind of obviously wrong (there are sales of graded comic books for amounts of money that would be worth my while clearly going on, on SAMart, eBay, and various comic-specific sites).

"Near what I would like" would be "whatever the market will bear." Selling some stuff I don't care about will give me some pocket money for buying some more comics that I do care about.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

greatn posted:

If not why not

Etrigan, or at least Jason Blood was intimately involved in his first appearance in Swamp Thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

I had no intention of selling on eBay - someone suggested looking there for pricing. I figured I'd sell stuff in SA-Mart. I hear you on the hassle and packaging, though.

I hate to keep harping on it, but my first goal is to document a reasonable value for the whole collection, for insurance purposes.

Amusing but I would like to assure you that I have no illusions in this regard. My investments are in a well-balanced portfolio of low-cost no-load index-based mutual funds. Comic books have been an on-again-off-again hobby since I was ten. I saw the bubble that happened in the 80s and (especially) 90s, and I was aware enough at the time that it was speculation and didn't get involved. Collecting comics I'll never read, buying up piles of #1s and alternate covers and foil additions and all that poo poo has never interested me. The only books I have multiple copies of, are ones that were parts of collections I was given.

Grading lets me estimate a value for the collection so I can insure it with a replacement value, and it lets me fairly price any books I eventually want to sell. Folks saying "oh comics are worthless grading is dumb" are probably used to having to convince bright-eyed neophytes that no, they are not going to make tons of money by speculating on the latest X-Whatever #1, so I understand where that comes from, but it's not exactly helpful and it is kind of obviously wrong (there are sales of graded comic books for amounts of money that would be worth my while clearly going on, on SAMart, eBay, and various comic-specific sites).

"Near what I would like" would be "whatever the market will bear." Selling some stuff I don't care about will give me some pocket money for buying some more comics that I do care about.

Comics are worth what other people pay for them. If you are worried about a fire, (don't worry about theft, no one who breaks into your place is going to haul away a long box) pay for the hourly rate you mentioned before to have someone else look over them and submit that to your insurance company.

I'll be honest, I dont know what you are asking for at this point. Based on your description you have, at most, a couple hundred dollars worth of comics. Definitely something you want to keep track of, but not something to get so bent out of shape over.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

What if you took a comprehensive photo set of your collection highlighting the valuable issues. That way if something did happen you could show the adjuster and point out, Yo these ones are worth money... the rest make up a lump sum?

Edit: I always compare completed listings on eBay, Amazon, Comic Collector Live and just kinda come up with a number from there. Then check Mile High's prices and laugh...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For what it's worth, Constantine appeared in Green Lantern #81 and in a reference page of Hitman. Otherwise he was Vertigo only until the Brightest Day Aftermath mini.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Comics are worth what other people pay for them. If you are worried about a fire, (don't worry about theft, no one who breaks into your place is going to haul away a long box) pay for the hourly rate you mentioned before to have someone else look over them and submit that to your insurance company.

I'll be honest, I dont know what you are asking for at this point. Based on your description you have, at most, a couple hundred dollars worth of comics. Definitely something you want to keep track of, but not something to get so bent out of shape over.

I was hoping for a straightforward way I could judge what people will pay for my comics. I am guessing based on responses so far that that's not really a thing, so OK, I can live with that. I was hoping someone could tell me what the difference is between "cast polypropylene" and regular, and if it's worth using mylar, but the response seems to be "preserving your comics is dumb just read them" which is unhelpful so I'll just assume the folks reading this thread don't actually know the answer and I'll try to find out somewhere else.

A couple goons responded helpfully to my other questions so other than that I'm mostly just replying to what people said. If the discussion is a derail I'm satisfied with what I've got at this point though.

sporklift posted:

What if you took a comprehensive photo set of your collection highlighting the valuable issues. That way if something did happen you could show the adjuster and point out, Yo these ones are worth money... the rest make up a lump sum?

Edit: I always compare completed listings on eBay, Amazon, Comic Collector Live and just kinda come up with a number from there. Then check Mile High's prices and laugh...

Oh yeah, taking a ton of pictures is a good idea, and I'm already taking photos of everything else in the house, and then of course storing the photos online.

A couple months ago an artist acquaintance of my wife's had her home/studio burn down. She had to jump from a 2nd story window and broke her hip. She lost like 20 years worth of artwork and her insurance company basically said "no, gently caress you" to compensating her for it, because she could not produce an inventory or documented valuation of the work. That kind of prompted me to get off my rear end and evaluate my own stuff, because I never want to be in that kind of situation.

As for the actual value of my collection - the stuff I actually want to sell would probably add up to maybe a few hundred dollars, sure. But for the whole shebang, even if I value everything post-1985 as totally worthless, I think the total replacement value is well into four figures. I don't want to seem like I'm dickwaving here so I'm trying not to like just start listing all my valuable comics or whatever.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Just to clarify, Sandman wasn't a Vertigo comic until #47.

Hmm. You're right. Dunno why I thought it shifted over a lot earlier. Maybe because it just started so much heavier with DCU guests.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Leperflesh posted:

I was hoping for a straightforward way I could judge what people will pay for my comics. I am guessing based on responses so far that that's not really a thing, so OK, I can live with that. I was hoping someone could tell me what the difference is between "cast polypropylene" and regular, and if it's worth using mylar, but the response seems to be "preserving your comics is dumb just read them" which is unhelpful so I'll just assume the folks reading this thread don't actually know the answer and I'll try to find out somewhere else.
It's not unhelpful, you just really don't want to hear what everyone's telling you.

Except in extreme edge cases, your collection should be assumed to be worthless until and unless you decide you want to sell it off, at which point it's worth whatever you can get for it on eBay. Your worries about what sort of bags and boards to use are the comic book equivalent of wondering if you should buy Monster Cables. Being this worried about preserving your comics is dumb. Either read them or sell them.

This whole comics-as-a-commodity thing was tried in the 90s. It was a spectacular failure. It won't work for you either. Sorry about that.

If you have specific comic books you think really are valuable and you want to ask us about them, that's one thing, but for your collection as a whole, you've gotten the right answers. Not the answers you wanted, but... again, sorry about that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

It's not unhelpful, you just really don't want to hear what everyone's telling you.

Except in extreme edge cases, your collection should be assumed to be worthless until and unless you decide you want to sell it off, at which point it's worth whatever you can get for it on eBay. Your worries about what sort of bags and boards to use are the comic book equivalent of wondering if you should buy Monster Cables.

That is something nobody said yet. If mylar is basically snake oil and no better than polypropylene, then I'm fine using polypropylene. Thank you.

quote:

Being this worried about preserving your comics is dumb. Either read them or sell them.

This whole comics-as-a-commodity thing was tried in the 90s. It was a spectacular failure. It won't work for you either. Sorry about that.

It's baffling, really. Like, is it really that hard to differentiate between someone who wants to treat comic books as a commodity, and someone who is trying to establish a ballpark figure for the value of their collection? "It's worthless" is unhelpful because it's obviously, demonstrably wrong. Declaring a thing cannot be priced until it's sold is also silly - obviously anything before a sale is just an estimate, but estimates are a thing that exists, and all I want is an estimate. I'm not trying to get some rose-tinted view either - I'm ok with accepting that a given comic book is worth whatever it's actually worth, even if that's less than you guys think I'm hoping for or whatever. I'm not even asking BSS to evaluate my collection! I was only asking for pointers to resources I might be unaware of, and I actually got one or two, so thanks for that.

quote:

If you have specific comic books you think really are valuable and you want to ask us about them, that's one thing, but for your collection as a whole, you've gotten the right answers. Not the answers you wanted, but... again, sorry about that.

You guys have anticipated answers you think I want even though I've tried hard to make it clear I'm not asking anyone to tell me I'm rich. If you say my copy of Swamp Thing #1 is worth less than a dollar, fine, it's worth less than a dollar, I assume you'd know better than I do. If you say my collection of swamp thing is literally worth zero, I'm going to dismiss your opinion as hyperbolic because that's plainly not the case. And since all I was actually asking for was advice on how to judge condition (nobody had an answer), advice on whether mylar bags are worth it (your answer is no), and a suggestion for what sort of collection-tracking software people like (the answer is apparently ComicBookDB), I don't understand why I'm getting lectured on how I'm not accepting that help or... whatever it is I've said that's annoying.

So, thanks for the help guys, and I'm sorry you think I'm trying to get you to tell me I'm rich because I have some comic books, because I'm not.

\/\/I hadn't thought of that. I'm probably too small potatoes for a large auction house to care, but maybe one of the smaller guys.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 14, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Recently there was a thing in Vancouver where some guy auctioned off his entire comic collection. I don't know the channels he went through but if you are really looking and are interested maybe go to an auction house and ask them to appraise your collection. You might get a better answer from them.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Can anybody tell me what happens in The Invisibles? Like, I read it all, but I still don't know what actually happens in the story.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wapole Languray posted:

Can anybody tell me what happens in The Invisibles? Like, I read it all, but I still don't know what actually happens in the story.

Once this is done, somebody can explain Seaguy to me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Please nobody explain The Filth

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The JSA omnibus came out this week. Are there any reports on the quality/printing gently caress ups?

e: Hmm. Maybe it isn't out. Amazon is saying May 20th. It was in this week's release list. I assumed it came out with the rest of the comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 14, 2014

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Opopanax posted:

Please nobody explain The Filth

Dibs on Kill Your Boyfriend

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The JSA omnibus came out this week. Are there any reports on the quality/printing gently caress ups?

e: Hmm. Maybe it isn't out. Amazon is saying May 20th. It was in this week's release list. I assumed it came out with the rest of the comics.

Amazon gets stuff later. I think it is out.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Wapole Languray posted:

The Invisibles do a bunch of poo poo that's largely pointless because our perceived universe collapses/elevates in 2012. Although some of what they did prevented the bad guys from making life super lovely for everyone in the years leading to 2012.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do the new Marvel Knights books take place in 616?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leperflesh posted:

That is something nobody said yet. If mylar is basically snake oil and no better than polypropylene, then I'm fine using polypropylene. Thank you.

It's baffling, really. Like, is it really that hard to differentiate between someone who wants to treat comic books as a commodity, and someone who is trying to establish a ballpark figure for the value of their collection? "It's worthless" is unhelpful because it's obviously, demonstrably wrong. Declaring a thing cannot be priced until it's sold is also silly - obviously anything before a sale is just an estimate, but estimates are a thing that exists, and all I want is an estimate. I'm not trying to get some rose-tinted view either - I'm ok with accepting that a given comic book is worth whatever it's actually worth, even if that's less than you guys think I'm hoping for or whatever. I'm not even asking BSS to evaluate my collection! I was only asking for pointers to resources I might be unaware of, and I actually got one or two, so thanks for that.

You guys have anticipated answers you think I want even though I've tried hard to make it clear I'm not asking anyone to tell me I'm rich. If you say my copy of Swamp Thing #1 is worth less than a dollar, fine, it's worth less than a dollar, I assume you'd know better than I do. If you say my collection of swamp thing is literally worth zero, I'm going to dismiss your opinion as hyperbolic because that's plainly not the case. And since all I was actually asking for was advice on how to judge condition (nobody had an answer), advice on whether mylar bags are worth it (your answer is no), and a suggestion for what sort of collection-tracking software people like (the answer is apparently ComicBookDB), I don't understand why I'm getting lectured on how I'm not accepting that help or... whatever it is I've said that's annoying.

So, thanks for the help guys, and I'm sorry you think I'm trying to get you to tell me I'm rich because I have some comic books, because I'm not.

\/\/I hadn't thought of that. I'm probably too small potatoes for a large auction house to care, but maybe one of the smaller guys.

I can currently Ebaying my entire singles collection in lots. Some of these lots are, according to price guides, worth a tidy sum. My complete run of Green Lantern Volume 4 (the Geoff Johns series) is worth $475 according to the average of the various pricing sources. The lot sold for $67. Does this help in any way?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I can currently Ebaying my entire singles collection in lots. Some of these lots are, according to price guides, worth a tidy sum. My complete run of Green Lantern Volume 4 (the Geoff Johns series) is worth $475 according to the average of the various pricing sources. The lot sold for $67. Does this help in any way?

Yes, yes it does. I thought there was a good possibility the pricing sources are significantly inflated and this helps to confirm that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
To be fair, I am curious how insurance would cover my comics after a fire. I don't have anything rare, but there are a few things that would be hard to replace or some expensive hardcovers. My policy covers $xx,xxx in personal belongings (electronics, CDs, DVDs, books), but it'd be a bit hard to prove my loses with just a list of books.