Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Commissar Ken posted:

Pfft. Who did Mr. X ever beat?

A few walls and that one camera got it pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Wrecked Ada pretty drat good.

Considering she was able to single handedly escape a monster-filled hellscape in only a few scant hours while still taking time to throw Leon a rocket launcher that she found somewhere, I'd say Mr. X actually powered Ada up somehow.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I like the idea that getting killed by a Tyrant only makes you stronger since it just further proves how much of a worthless gently caress-up Brad Vickers was.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's funny how Ada has become increasingly smug and superhuman as the games roll by. To the point she killed herself in bizarre effigy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm honestly surprised Ada isn't dead yet. I just kinda figured she'd finally bite it in RE6. How much more can you do "that Ada, she sure is mysterious!"? RE2, RE4, she's always just kinda this Revolver Ocelot type you can't figure out. Well, apart from her crush on Leon. I'm still betting that if Capcom does finally kill her off it's going to be with her sacrificing herself to save Leon.

But yeah, I saw this random cutscene of RE6 and it looked...very gritty and dark and super-serious. How do you even work ninja-flipping in high heels and a dress with a grappling hook Ada into such a setting? Seems like there be tone whiplash.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Vakal posted:

I like the idea that getting killed by a Tyrant only makes you stronger since it just further proves how much of a worthless gently caress-up Brad Vickers was.

Hey, Brad was the toughest zombie in the whole series. :colbert:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

NikkolasKing posted:

2. Get this - REZero pioneered the "Use from the Screen" gameplay feature that RE4 later adopted. No more if your inventory is full you can't grab that Herb or First Aid Spray to save your life so you probably end up dying on the way back to the box.

Actually, Code Veronica did it first. I really tried to enjoy Resident Evil Zero, but there is just too much crap that weighs it down and it primarily has to do with inventory stuff. Dropping stuff anywhere seems like it would be a good idea, but there are several things that prevent it from being decent. Many of your items take up two spaces, then combining that with ammo, you have half of your inventory slots gone for one character. Also, the game picks some odd times for you to need to go back and use a particular item that takes up two slots.

I think I got to the part with the monkeys before I said gently caress it and just cheated to the end of the game.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm honestly surprised Ada isn't dead yet. I just kinda figured she'd finally bite it in RE6. How much more can you do "that Ada, she sure is mysterious!"? RE2, RE4, she's always just kinda this Revolver Ocelot type you can't figure out. Well, apart from her crush on Leon. I'm still betting that if Capcom does finally kill her off it's going to be with her sacrificing herself to save Leon.

But yeah, I saw this random cutscene of RE6 and it looked...very gritty and dark and super-serious. How do you even work ninja-flipping in high heels and a dress with a grappling hook Ada into such a setting? Seems like there be tone whiplash.

Ada is meant to be the weird femme fatale in doomed love with the hero. Only she's been that and nothing else for like 4 games now. It worked great in RE2, then it just sort of kept happening for no reason. Who even loving knows what she does, with who, or why. And who cares at this point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah it was cool to have her back in 4 because it was like, okay she DOES definitely work for Wesker alright now we know, but then they filled in the gaps with Umbrella Chronicles and...

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I really liked the dyanmic Ada and Leon had in RE4. She was a flighty and mysteriously unattainable secret agent who was playing both sides for personal gain. She got really bad in RE6 though. But who the hell knows what was even going on in RE6 really.

RE4 was just really good and fun and I liked all the characters in it, even Ashley.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I got nothing against Ashley. You guys ever played Silent Hill 4? I honestly like it more than RE4 in some ways but after you've had to drag around Eileen's dumb rear end for five worlds you begin to appreciate Ashley's ability to duck, hide in dumpsters and get captured so you don't have to babysit her for very long.

Plus she did know how to drive that bulldozer thing so she has some skills.Also suplex.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They need to do what Uncharted does and just let you use whatever character model you want when you're playing. People do this on PC all the time because it's awesome it just be a regular option though for console gamers and people who don't know how to mod.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

They need to do what Uncharted does and just let you use whatever character model you want when you're playing. People do this on PC all the time because it's awesome it just be a regular option though for console gamers and people who don't know how to mod.

LEGO Resident Evil Trilogy?

Also they only let you be different characters in Multiplayer, don't they? It's practically identical to Tomb Raider.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0VKuFttNQA

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Crowetron posted:

Hey, Forest was the toughest zombie in the whole series. :colbert:

Fixed that for you :smug:

Not only was he tough, he had grenades on his chest, which if you shot them I believe kills you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Excels posted:

LEGO Resident Evil Trilogy?

Also they only let you be different characters in Multiplayer, don't they? It's practically identical to Tomb Raider.

No you can, from the cheats menu change your character to whoever, like you can just play through the game as Elena or Donut Drake if you want, no problem.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Ahhh yes. I forgot about Donut Drake :allears:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I guess the dumb thing about Resident Evil Zero was that up until that point, the outbreak was a bit of a mystery. Then Zero came and said hey, turns out the leech guy did it the whole time. And then it retcons William Birkin and Wesker to be like, secret best friends. Then nothing in that game is ever referenced again. Other than that, I loved Resident Evil Zero.

If they ever remake Resident Evil 2, I hope they add in Wesker just because.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I guess the dumb thing about Resident Evil Zero was that up until that point, the outbreak was a bit of a mystery. Then Zero came and said hey, turns out the leech guy did it the whole time. And then nothing in that game is ever referenced again. Other than that, I loved Resident Evil Zero.

You loved the two inventory slot taking harpoon gun that was used like 3 times which if you dropped it you'd have to backtrack to who the hell knows where you dropped it to progress?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They kinda sorta do this in Umbrella Chronicles with Ada's missions. But then more importantly you get to play as Wesker later on and blow up mute Russian cybrog clones wearing 80s wraparound shades and metallic monk robes (in the documents it says they are experts at blending into normal society!!) while musing about how all of Umbrella is run by effete Euro-trash while this music plays. Also Wesker narrates large portions of the game's storyline and has awesome taunts while killing enemies like "Hmph. A small fry."

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 14, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Barudak posted:

You loved the two inventory slot taking harpoon gun that was used like 3 times which if you dropped it you'd have to backtrack to who the hell knows where you dropped it to progress?

gently caress the hookshot. I remember that and any other two slot weapon being the bane of my existence. Now that I think back on it, the item system was a goddamn mess and you could be screwed if you didn't remember or didn't know what was up ahead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Once again listening to gamers is the dumbest mistake one can make. While REZero began life as an N64 game, Capcom got rid of the item boxes specifically because of the huge gamer outcry about REMake still using item boxes and people wanting to be able to just put stuff down wherever.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm just going to sign up with the idea that Ada doesn't work for anyone, is actually out of her loving mind, has an imaginary solider friend, and uses the hookshot every single stupid chance she can in order to mentally scream "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" the whole way across.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I just figured that she's like Ocelot in that she has some mega-super-master plan to it all, but after RE6 not going anywhere who cares, they could just never refer to her again and it wouldn't matter to me.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Black August posted:

I'm just going to sign up with the idea that Ada doesn't work for anyone, is actually out of her loving mind, has an imaginary solider friend, and uses the hookshot every single stupid chance she can in order to mentally scream "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" the whole way across.

I've seen nothing in the canon to convince me this is not the case, honestly.

Lunethex posted:

Fixed that for you :smug:

Not only was he tough, he had grenades on his chest, which if you shot them I believe kills you.

Oh, man, I totally forgot about One Deadly Zombie mode or whatever it was called. That and the mode where all the enemies are invisible until right before they attack you. REmake Unlockables were such dicks :allears:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Black August posted:

A character whose story arc is so insular and removed from the main plot that the final boss is literally just a :biotruths: version of herself.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Excels posted:

A character whose story arc is so insular and removed from the main plot that the final boss is literally just a :biotruths: version of herself.

The final boss was her creepy ex-boyfriend. The actual plotline of Leon and Ada's campaigns in RE6 was a globe-spanning battle against the world's most powerful Redditor.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I guess the dumb thing about Resident Evil Zero was that up until that point, the outbreak was a bit of a mystery. Then Zero came and said hey, turns out the leech guy did it the whole time. And then it retcons William Birkin and Wesker to be like, secret best friends. Then nothing in that game is ever referenced again. Other than that, I loved Resident Evil Zero.

Actually I believe it was Wesker's Report II that established Albert and William were BFFs. It's actually kinda interesting stuff to read and certainly one of the few pieces of RE lore I still enjoy.

If you didn't know about Wesker's Report or the tons of other Japanese-only poo poo, don't worry, it's still bad and terrible. It's just that Capcom was clearly trying to tell a deep, multifaceted story but they suck at it.

Also "I read the Japanese Biohazard file!" people online are the worst. They think RE has a good plot and writing and at least one of them told me RE4 hosed everything up, presumably by the localization which clearly recognized the game was ridiculous and just ran with it. (I doubt "sucks to be them" is in the original)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I always frustrates me when people think verbatim translation of anything from Japanese is a good idea. The entire important contents of that report is like, four paragraphs in REMake and Umbrella Chronicles.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Crowetron posted:

The final boss was her creepy ex-boyfriend. The actual plotline of Leon and Ada's campaigns in RE6 was a globe-spanning battle against the world's most powerful Redditor.

Well I meant the final boss of Ada's story specifically, but I think it still counts as "final" since you unlock her story last.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Excels posted:

Well I meant the final boss of Ada's story specifically, but I think it still counts as "final" since you unlock her story last.

Oh, I got confused because she then does have to fight Simmons in the last chapter, but it's the same as Leon's fight, so whatever.

I never really read anything into the Carla fight because I was too busy thinking "Yeah, I'll just fight this fuckin' boat, why not?" I am easily distracted by that special Capcom brand of insane stupidity.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Crowetron posted:

Carla actually being Simmons in a truly weird-science moment of intense obsession and identity crisis would have been too bizarre and interesting for this series.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Oh, I got confused because she then does have to fight Simmons in the last chapter, but it's the same as Leon's fight, so whatever.

I never really read anything into the Carla fight because I was too busy thinking "Yeah, I'll just fight this fuckin' boat, why not?" I am easily distracted by that special Capcom brand of insane stupidity.

honestly i forgot what happens after you run away doing unfair QTEs for ten minutes and then blast out chunks of a giant Adaface i just stopped caring

or maybe i never cared from the start

re6 is just soulless

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Once again listening to gamers is the dumbest mistake one can make. While REZero began life as an N64 game, Capcom got rid of the item boxes specifically because of the huge gamer outcry about REMake still using item boxes and people wanting to be able to just put stuff down wherever.

Well that really isn't the case though. The problem with Zero is that they cut down on the inventory slots you can carry per character, made a whole bunch of items take up two slots, and poo poo like that.

If the main problem was simply having to drop a herb or two, then it wouldn't be that much of a problem.

Also, what the hell is wrong with some of you? The Carrier level in RE6 was probably one of the most creepy things in a recent RE game to date and probably one of the few memorable levels in all of RE6.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 14, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This thread seems to be relatively balanced in terms of opinions... I seldom see a lot of RE4 and RE5 fans mixing.

I personally never played 5 as I had no interest in it. But for those who have, which is better, Wesker's fights or the Krauser fight? I know there are a couple fights with old Albert so I guess whichever is most comparable to Krauser's.

Krauser's fight has always been one of my favorite in the series, mainly for the "cat-and-mouse, hunter-and-hunted part" that leads up to the final bit. The setting was perfect, it has one of my favorite tracks in RE4 and the little banter between Leon and Krauser made it even better. "Run, Leon, run!" Not that the climactic final part wasn't appropriately good as well.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I found Wesker's to be more interesting simply because you can easily trivialize the Krauser fight just by using the knife. The Wesker fight, you have to be a little more cunning, plus its fun to watch Chris just beat the poo poo out of Wesker.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I personally never played 5 as I had no interest in it. But for those who have, which is better, Wesker's fights or the Krauser fight?

I thought the hangar battle against Wesker was really cool and fun. He throws missiles at you, stalks you slowly in the darkness while teleporting and being smug as gently caress. It is a lot better if you have infinite rockets though because it's easy to gently caress up making him catch the rocket, so you can shoot it and stun him. And then hope you're close enough to get there in about 2 seconds to stab him with the needle.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
There has yet to be a more satisfying moment in a Resident Evil game than evading Wesker's attempts to put his hand through your chest and then successively pulling off the counter melee combo.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

NikkolasKing posted:

This thread seems to be relatively balanced in terms of opinions... I seldom see a lot of RE4 and RE5 fans mixing.

I liked Resident Evil 4, 5, AND 6. AS WELL as the old games. :shepface:

Except Resident Evil 0, that was loving garbage. Holding that opinion is the only reason I have not been tossed into an insane asylum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think RE4 is the better designed game but RE5's melee system and general combat design is a step above. Half the reason I enjoyed Mercenaries on the 3DS was getting to do RE4 Mercenary levels with more RE5-style mechanics.