Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Massive thanks to kwadrat and -Fish- for helping collect a lot of the stuff in this OP.

What is 13th Age?
13th Age is a d20-based RPG from the minds of Rob Heinsoo (lead designer of 4th edition D&D®) and Jonathan Tweet (lead designer of 3rd edition D&D®, Over the Edge and Everway) published by Pelgrane Press in 2013.

Designed for experienced GMs and any type of player, 13th Age offers a fresh take on a familiar tabletop experience. Pelgrane Press gave Rob and Jonathan total freedom to create the game they most wanted to play. They brought the best parts of the great d20-rolling fantasy tradition together with innovative new rules, resulting in a game that EN World readers named “2013’s Most Anticipated RPG”.

What makes it so cool?

Owlbears.

Okay, the game has more than Owlbears going for it - but they still are drat cool.

In the 13th Age of the world, adventurers seek their fortunes in the Dragon Empire while powerful individuals known as Icons pursue goals that may preserve the empire from chaos, or send it over the edge. Players decide which Icons their characters ally with, and which ones they oppose. These relationships, along with a personal history and a unique trait chosen during character creation, help define an adventurer’s place in the world of 13th Age and lay the groundwork for epic stories that emerge through play.

There are also fun new rules for hitting orcs and making them go splat.

13th Age was playtested in 2012 by more than 200 gaming groups around the world. The game was published by Pelgrane Press in August 2013.

Some more great things about 13th Age:

• Character creation that gives your adventurer a place in the world (and the GM dozens of adventure hooks) through Icon relationships and your One Unique Things
  • A simple, flexible skill system through Backgrounds that bring your character’s personal history into the game with every dice roll
  • Streamlined, free-form combat with new rules that make battles fast, fun and dramatic
  • DIY monster and encounter building sections so GMs can create adventures with little or no preparation
  • Notes from Rob and Jonathan on how they approach their own games—and where they disagree
  • Escalation dice enable fun, fast-moving d20 combat.
  • Owlbears will rip PC's limbs off to feed their young.

“Our goal with 13th Age is to recapture the free-wheeling style of old-school gaming by creating a game with more soul and fewer technical details. …13th Age makes the play group’s campaign the center of attention, with a toolkit of rules that you can pick and choose from based on the kind of game you want to play. The mechanics draw from classic games as well as newer, story-based games.” – Jonathan Tweet, co-designer

What do I need to play this game? What books must I/can I buy?!?

You really only need the core, 13th Age rulebook. You can purchase it in PDF via DriveThruRPG or in physical hardback from either the Pelgrane Press eShop or Amazon, etc etc.

There are, however many more books you can buy, or will be able to buy soon!

Out now!
The Midgard Bestiary - A collection of over 100 monsters for the Midgard Campaign setting by Kobold Press. Very cool and unique monsters, along with helpful flavor texts that will give you adventure hooks, magic item ideas and more!

Make Your Own Luck - A free module that was released for Free RPG day on June 21st, 2014. If you got one, congratulations! It may show up as a downloadable PDF someday, but as part of the Free RPG promotion, it has to remain print-only via FRPGD for at least a few months.

Pre-Orders / PDF Released / Shipping Soon!
The 13th Age Bestiary - The official Bestiary / Monster Compendium for 13th Age. Yes, the core book has a large selection of monsters already, but this 220 page full color hardback book looks to be amazing. Pre-orderers already have the fully laid out PDF in their hands, and the first print proofs have been seen - so we will see this ship in June/July 2014!

13 True Ways - Originally a Kickstarter, this received incredible success and funding! 13 True Ways is the first expansion book for 13th Age - containing more information on the Dragon Empire, some new monsters, and new classes - including such diverse choices as the Monk, Druid, Commander, Chaos Mage, Occultist and Necromancer! Now available for pre-order, and pre-orders get their PDF's before it ships! (Updated: 27JUN2014)

Plus, see the Something Awful community dungeon!

Shadows of Eldolan - A first level adventure full of intrigue, mages, and dead things!

The Book of Loot - A collection of potent and quirky Icon-featured items.

Coming Soon!

Eyes of the Stone Thief - A massive, level 4-7 adventure telling the tale of a Living Dungeon that hates you and wants you to suffer and die!

Shards of the Broken Sky - A sandbox adventure that is set amidst the crash of one of the Archmage's flying realms.

Deep Magic - A collection of Icon-themed magic items. Mentioned in a page update, no release date given.

Links:
www.13thage.com - The official home of 13th Age at Pelgrane Press' website.
Tales of the 13th Age - The home for 13th Age Organized Play - currently about to start it's second year with almost a dozen adventures under it's belt.
Google+ Community - The Google+ Community for 13th Age.
Official 13th Age Facebook Page - For folks who like the Facebooks.
Vault of the 13th Age - A central repository for all 13th Age community-created content.
13th Age Maps - Maps created by ASH LAW for 13the Age, many of which were used in the Organized Play program.
ICON - ICON is a new fanzine devoted to 13th Age fans.
13th Age News - A weekly 'newspaper' of the top 13th Age news stories around the internet.

Previous Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473530

Homebrew Classes

These have been culled from the previous thread.

The Gunslinger by Serf - WIP (originally posted here)

The Runecaster by Good Username Here - WIP (originally posted here)

The Wright by PlasmaMan - WIP (originally posted here)

The Thief by Doublehex - WIP ver 0.2 (originally posted here)

The Lurker by RyvenCedrylle and -Fish- - polished version (originally posted here)

The Martial Artist by RyvenCedrylle (originally posted SOMEWHERE)

The Seeker by Captain Walker - ver 0.8 (originally posted here)

The Field Commander by RyvenCedrylle - polished version (originally posted here)

The Dilettante by RyvenCedrylle - polished version (originally posted here)

The Elemental Knight

The Fury

The Thaumineer

The Vanguard

The Witch
The Duellist by icks

Homebrew Other

Death To Ability Scores writeup by Myrmidongs (originally posted here)

Pyromancer general Class Talent by -Fish- (originally posted here)

Dragoon general Class Talent by -Fish- (originally posted here)

Assorted humanoid monsters (lvl 3) by Doublehex (originally posted here)

Assorted undead monsters (lvls 3-6) by Doublehex (originally posted here)

Paladin's Shadow Class Talent by Helmet 10 Warehouse

8 new races by Covok (originally posted here)

Bloated Reaper (lvl 9) by PublicOpinion (originally posted here)

Even Roguer Elements (lvl 11) by PublicOpinion (originally posted here)

Extended Grappling Rules by RyvenCedrylle (originally posted here)

Hotblooded and Stormlord Barbarian Class Talents by PublicOpinion

13th Age Zelda Races by -Fish- (originally posted here)

Demon themed monsters (lvls 7-9) by PublicOpinion (originally posted here)

Serf's Age of Guns

Serf's 13th Age Firearms Rules v.2 - WIP (originally posted here and initial version here)
Think Real Careful - Paladin Class Talent by Serf

Other useful stuff

THE post on Backgrounds aka why Manbird and Batman are equally awesome mechanically robust and engaging by Mystic Mongol

Setup macros for Roll20 escalation die by PublicOpinion

Setup macros for Roll20 attributes by Jackard

Filthy Bribes - alternative approach to handling currency by Bedlamdan

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Grabbing this post in case I need to add even more stuff at a later date.

GenCon 2014 Videos:

Wade Rockett posted:

! Rob Heinsoo, ASH LAW, Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan and Philippe-Antoine Menard talk adventure design. Thanks to Kenderama for filming and editing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L5yS-MPqtk

Kenderama posted:

Rob Heinsoo, Mike Shea, Ruth "Cthulhu Chick" and Wade Rockett talk about running the 13th Age Roleplaying Game, with tips on handling One Unique Things, backgrounds, icon relationships and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftByIXXaSRs

Silly Stuff:

Forum member and 13th Age Community manager Wade Rockett humiliating himself after a failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JCHridDHJw

27JUN2014: Added update for 13 True Ways.
10JUL2014: Added Wade video
01AUG2014: Updated Seeker link, moved Shadows and Book of Loot to pre-order status.

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 28, 2014

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
should we mention the free adventures that are out for 13th age?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Give me a list and I'll add 'em!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'd just like to state for the record that Wrath of the Orc Lord plays out very differently with a "morally challenged" party:

"Oh thank the gods, I thought you were orcs! Wait - you're not bandits, are you?"
"Well..."
"I don't like the way that wasn't a no."

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
(PP link) http://pelgranepress.com/site/?p=12301

(sign up form)
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Cj6P7Wpd0X9l0t4RtOXavruLk5ICAMr-QuPvJXF39yQ/viewform

Callled Tales of the 13th Age:
They list..
Crown of the Lich King
Wyrd of the Wild Wood
Quest in the Cathedral
Shadow Port Shuffle
Wrath of the Orc Lord
Elf Queen’s Enchantment
Folding of Screamhaunt Castle

and more

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I worry about the accessibility of all those resources when the old thread slips to archives. I'll try to make screen cap images for some of that stuff and host them on imgur.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Aw, crown of the lich king is a pre-written adventure? Immersion destroyed.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

SirFozzie posted:

(PP link) http://pelgranepress.com/site/?p=12301

(sign up form)
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Cj6P7Wpd0X9l0t4RtOXavruLk5ICAMr-QuPvJXF39yQ/viewform

Callled Tales of the 13th Age:
They list..
Crown of the Lich King
Wyrd of the Wild Wood
Quest in the Cathedral
Shadow Port Shuffle
Wrath of the Orc Lord
Elf Queen’s Enchantment
Folding of Screamhaunt Castle

and more

Ah these are all part of being part of Tales of the 13th Age - which is linked in the URL section at the bottom.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Oh god why did you put the Scholar in the OP it's bad (and a WIP) :stonk:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I feel links such as website and the ICON fanzine should be more prominent in the OP.

Also the Vault, but then that site keeps going down, like it is right now, so :shrug:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 13, 2014

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Jackard posted:

I feel links such as website and the ICON fanzine should be more prominent in the OP.

Also the Vault, but then that site keeps going down, like it is right now, so :shrug:

Vault isn't down - not sure what you are trying to connect to.

http://www.13thage.org

I will move them up before the community content - it's a good point.

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Oh god why did you put the Scholar in the OP it's bad (and a WIP) :stonk:

I'll remove it. I was basing most of that stuff off of kwadrat's post that assembled the stuff that was in the last thread.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Kenderama posted:

Vault isn't down - not sure what you are trying to connect to.

http://www.13thage.org
Both that link and the one in the OP gives me "403 Forbidden"

quote:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jackard posted:

Both that link and the one in the OP gives me "403 Forbidden"

It works for me and, presumably, Kenderama. It might be an issue on your end, somehow.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Clear your cookies and cache and try again, or use a different browser?

I just tried it on my home computer and my iPad and it is most definitely up.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Kenderama posted:

I'll remove it. I was basing most of that stuff off of kwadrat's post that assembled the stuff that was in the last thread.

If I ever get back around to it I'll probably change it a good bit, because right now it's just A Wizard with different talents.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Kenderama posted:

Clear your cookies and cache and try again, or use a different browser?

I just tried it on my home computer and my iPad and it is most definitely up.
No, I've tried it on multiple browsers and devices. Could the IP be blocked or something?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Jackard posted:

No, I've tried it on multiple browsers and devices. Could the IP be blocked or something?

Power cycle your router, some routers have a cache.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I got the quoted pieces of text as jpg images. I'm gonna dump em, and if you want to link them in the OP that's cool. You could also use the images, just drop the t from my timg tags.

Backgrounds (Bird or Batman)

Escalation Die Macros
This was a big one with the images, so I cut it into three.

Attribute Macros

Filthy Bribes

I just wish I could have done more. Great OP!

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 14, 2014

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

VanSandman posted:

Aw, crown of the lich king is a pre-written adventure? Immersion destroyed.

Nope! I just took the idea from the campaign to jumpstart my creative thinking process. The only similarities we share is the plot MaCguffin.

In other news, I have a question. I have a site I created for my campaign group, but I also post up custom monsters and classes there, as well as my own John Wickian interpretation of the Races, Icons, and a whole bunch of other Dragon Empire stuff. Is it okay for me to post it here for you guys' convenience?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Doublehex posted:

Nope! I just took the idea from the campaign to jumpstart my creative thinking process. The only similarities we share is the plot MaCguffin.

In other news, I have a question. I have a site I created for my campaign group, but I also post up custom monsters and classes there, as well as my own John Wickian interpretation of the Races, Icons, and a whole bunch of other Dragon Empire stuff. Is it okay for me to post it here for you guys' convenience?

Yay!

I'm hardly an expert but you've done some fun things with the lore so I say post em.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 14, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Dude you spelled my username wrong!!!!!! Get it right son. Actually, the latest version is up, it's now at like beta 0.8.

13th Age Seeker Beta 0.8 PEACH

Doublehex posted:

:justpost:

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
This was just posted on the site, but it looks awfully familiar.

quote:

In his April View from the Pelgrane’s Nest column, Simon provided updates on all of Pelgrane’s current projects. Here’s the latest news on 13th Age:

The 13th Age Bestiary is with the printers, on target for a May / early June delivery date. Pre-order your copy now from the Pelgrane store. It’s available on Bits and Mortar, too, so you can pre-order it from your local retailer and get the PDF now.

The Bestiary limited edition is in the changing rooms at the boutique, trying out new outfits of faux leather colours and gold foil. The limited B will be up for preorder next month with Hatchling edition customers geting first dibs.

13 True Ways is finally in layout. We apologize for the extreme delay in getting this Kickstarted product out to you – we think it’s worth the wait. We’ll put in on pre-order this month. It’s touch and go if we’ll have it out in time for GenCon and Kickstarter backers come first. A non-laid out PDF version should be out with backers in the next couple of weeks.

For FreeRPGDay , Saturday 21st June, we’ll be releasing a new retail-exclusive adventure Make Your Own Luck. 3500 of these adventures will be distributed free in up to 700 hobby stores. Stores can sign up here and you can find your nearest participating retailer here.

Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan is nursing the great whale that is The Eyes of the Stone Thief into the the deep waters of art direction; Rich Longmore, Anna Kryczkowska, Juha Makkonen and Pat Loboyko are doing the interior work, and Ben Wootten the cover.

Cartographer Pär Lindstrom is producing maps for Shadows of Eldolan, and we have a first colour draft of the cover by Joshua Calloway here.

ASH LAW has delivered a draft of Shards of the Broken Sky, which Rob will look at when 13 True Ways is laid out.

The Book of Loot, a delicious collection of potent and quirky Icon-featured items is in first draft, also awaiting Rob’s seal of approval.

http://chaosinferred.com/personal/13thage/

That's the site with all of my homebrewed stuff, as well as a bunch of community created stuff that I liked and planned or implemented into my campaign. The lore stuff is 100% me, though.

All of the lore stuff is here, although I really haven't done much on Factions and pretty much nothing on Territories. Still, I think there is more than enough for any GM to throw into his Dragon Empire to make it less stereotypical D&D.

Doublehex fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 14, 2014

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

I want to give our paladin a magic weapon that's one of those rare, newfangled shotguns you sometimes see out on the frontier. The player is cursed with bad dice luck, and in general I'm trying to get my players to take advantage of unused icon relationship rolls. I drew from Serf's firearms rules but added the "scatter" effect, as well as a fumble effect to reflect the fact that firearms are prone to blowing up in their users' hands.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this item. Too much? Too little? Could be more interesting?

The Emperor’s Peace (magic weapon: shotgun)
The stock of this firearm holds the shard of a once-proud blade wielded by a Dragon Rider until she fell in battle, her sword shattered. Now her sword is reborn as a new weapon for a new and more dangerous Age.

+1/+2/+3
Range: Melee, Nearby
Damage: 1d8 to 1d3 nearby enemies in a group, or 1d10 to one nearby or engaged enemy
Big drat gun: +2 to background checks meant to intimidate or scare others.
Unstable: Rolling a natural 1 on an attack causes the weapon to deal damage to you instead, and it can’t be used again for the rest of the battle.

If you have at least one positive icon relationship point with the Emperor, you unlock the following powers:

The Dragon’s Roar (once per battle): The closest enemy hit is dazed (–4 penalty to attacks) until the start of your next turn. If all enemies hit are equidistant, choose one.

The Dragon’s Blessing: Spend an unused icon relationship result of 6 with the Emperor to reroll an attack and double the weapon’s bonus to hit.

The Dragon’s Sacrifice: Spend an unused icon relationship result of 5 with the Emperor to reroll an attack and double the weapon’s bonus to hit, but the shades of past Emperors demand a blood sacrifice in exchange for their help: you or an ally takes miss damage (determined randomly.)

Quirk: Driven to find the strongest and most dangerous enemies of the Empire in the area, and compel them to pledge fealty to the Emperor.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Doublehex posted:

This was just posted on the site, but it looks awfully familiar.

Yep, it's the update I posted here when Page XX came out. When Simon shares product updates in his View column, I try to remember to pull the 13th Age specific stuff out and repost it in the 13th Age section of the website a few days later, for people who don't read Simon's monthly update.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

waderockett posted:

I want to give our paladin a magic weapon that's one of those rare, newfangled shotguns you sometimes see out on the frontier. The player is cursed with bad dice luck, and in general I'm trying to get my players to take advantage of unused icon relationship rolls. I drew from Serf's firearms rules but added the "scatter" effect, as well as a fumble effect to reflect the fact that firearms are prone to blowing up in their users' hands.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this item. Too much? Too little? Could be more interesting?

The Emperor’s Peace (magic weapon: shotgun)
The stock of this firearm holds the shard of a once-proud blade wielded by a Dragon Rider until she fell in battle, her sword shattered. Now her sword is reborn as a new weapon for a new and more dangerous Age.

+1/+2/+3
Range: Melee, Nearby
Damage: 1d8 to 1d3 nearby enemies in a group, or 1d10 to one nearby or engaged enemy
Big drat gun: +2 to background checks meant to intimidate or scare others.
Unstable: Rolling a natural 1 on an attack causes the weapon to deal damage to you instead, and it can’t be used again for the rest of the battle.

If you have at least one positive icon relationship point with the Emperor, you unlock the following powers:

The Dragon’s Roar (once per battle): The closest enemy hit is dazed (–4 penalty to attacks) until the start of your next turn. If all enemies hit are equidistant, choose one.

The Dragon’s Blessing: Spend an unused icon relationship result of 6 with the Emperor to reroll an attack and double the weapon’s bonus to hit.

The Dragon’s Sacrifice: Spend an unused icon relationship result of 5 with the Emperor to reroll an attack and double the weapon’s bonus to hit, but the shades of past Emperors demand a blood sacrifice in exchange for their help: you or an ally takes miss damage (determined randomly.)

Quirk: Driven to find the strongest and most dangerous enemies of the Empire in the area, and compel them to pledge fealty to the Emperor.

Hmm. I love it, both mechanically and flavor-wise, but it does seem a little loaded, no pun intended.

That said, seems like a fun toy, and well-tailored to an unlucky player! I never thought about using relationship successes as ammo.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm not very familiar with the production process for these sorts of books. If 13 True Ways is in layout, does that mean we've reached the end of the playtesting process, or that it's reached a point where the vast majority of things are finalised, and that only minor adjustment will be made?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
One of the guys who is new to 13th Age in my friday night group (where I actually get to play! yay!) wanted to be a Fighter, but with the ability to use poison in varying unique and different ways. I've been working with the DM to try and come up with some abilities for him - thought I would throw them up here and get some feedback. The player loves them, but I'm not sure about how balanced they are. He's only level 2 so I haven't thought about it too much yet.

Poisoner (Talent / Class Feature) For a fighter, this took up one of his Class Talent slots.
Gain access to Poisoner attacks. (Requires alchemy kit.)

1st Level Toxins
Paralytic Strike - Once per Battle
Attack (Poison)
Flexible Melee Attack
Triggering Roll: Natural 18-20
Effect: You use your most accurate strike to inflict a paralytic agent on your enemy, which slows and weakens his reactions. (Normal save ends. (Hard save once foe is staggered.) Target becomes Vulnerable to attacks.
First Failed Save: Target is also Dazed.
Second Failed Save: Target is now Weakened.
Third Failed Save: Target is now Stunned.
Adventurer Feat: Can now be used on Ranged attacks.
Champion Feat: Triggering Roll is now a Natural 17-20.
Epic Feat: Can be used twice per battle.

Methods of Madness - Daily
Attack (Poison)
Flexible Melee Attack
Special: The Escalation Die must be 3+ and you have to have hit at least once earlier in the battle with a Poison Attack.
Triggering Roll: Natural Odd Hit
Effect: The chemical reactions of your poison mix badly in the subject causing a fit of madness to overtake him. Target becomes Vulnerable to you and your allies as he starts to giggle madly and lose his focus. Hard (16+) save to recover.
First Failed Save: Target takes a -2 penalty to all defenses.
Second Failed Save: Penalty to all defenses increases to -4.
Adventurer Feat: Can now be used on Ranged attacks.

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 14, 2014

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I like it, my first instinct on what's missing is to probably toss the player a free point or two (or at least make the talent require a few points) in a 'poison' or 'alchemy' related background.

But then of course, my natural inclination is to start extrapolating and I end up thinking about it in terms that would make it the beginnings of a new class altogether... for instance, I love the daily, but I'm not sure about tying the key poison ability solely to a flexible melee; it's a useful mechanic to hang it on, but I feel like it just lacks the flavor that a 'poisoned weapon' needs, representing preparation and planning.

Personally, I'd do something like borrowing a page from the Rogues Momentum; a weapon is considered to be Poisoned or not Poisoned, and Poison is expended upon a successful attack that uses it. The player can start the fight with a poisoned weapon if the GM rules that they were ready, by rolling a successful related background check, or on a natural initiative roll of 16+. After that, they can poison their weapon with a quick action while not engaged with an enemy.

Goddamnit, I am going to end up kicking this around in my head for the next week and probably end up with a half baked, half written, terrible class because I am no good at game design.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 14, 2014

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

I like it, my first instinct on what's missing is to probably toss the player a free point or two (or at least make the talent require a few points) in a 'poison' or 'alchemy' related background.

But then of course, my natural inclination is to start extrapolating and I end up thinking about it in terms that would make it the beginnings of a new class altogether... for instance, I love the daily, but I'm not sure about tying the key poison ability solely to a flexible melee; it's a useful mechanic to hang it on, but I feel like it just lacks the flavor that a 'poisoned weapon' needs, representing preparation and planning.

Personally, I'd do something like borrowing a page from the Rogues Momentum; a weapon is considered to be Poisoned or not Poisoned, and Poison is expended upon a successful attack that uses it. The player can start the fight with a poisoned weapon if the GM rules that they were ready, by rolling a successful related background check, or on a natural initiative roll of 16+. After that, they can poison their weapon with a quick action while not engaged with an enemy.

Goddamnit, I am going to end up kicking this around in my head for the next week and probably end up with a half baked, half written, terrible class because I am no good at game design.

Heh, yeah he likes the Fighter but wants to be a poisoner. He actually built the character around the concept of being an alchemist /herbalist.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Couple of classes you missed:

The Elemental Knight
The Fury
The Thaumineer
The Vanguard

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Updated.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Hmm. I love it, both mechanically and flavor-wise, but it does seem a little loaded, no pun intended.

That said, seems like a fun toy, and well-tailored to an unlucky player! I never thought about using relationship successes as ammo.

Thanks! Having slept on it, I think I'll drop Big drat Gun from the mix (as much as I love it.)

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

New thread looks great, Kenderama. It's really easy to tell you put a fair bit of time into it.

Few things: Lurker was co-developed by Ryven and me.

You may wanna include the Eldcaller and the Werebeast, I'll post the links when I get off work in a few hours. They're on my Drive and the Android app doesn't give me the link to them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I would just like to point out that Pit-Spawn Orcs are really, really nasty.

They're mooks and only do 5 damage, but they have a crit range of 17+ and when they crit (which is likely) then every Pit-Spawn Orc in the battle gets +1 to damage until the end of the fight. With no cap.

Last week I had groups of mooks doing 15 damage each (30 on a crit). :psyduck:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
My game's rogue has a bunch of abilities to avoid getting damaged by attacks, but has had a hard time getting things to attack her when everyone else is constantly in the monsters' faces and inflicting actual mechanical disincentives to attack anyone else. So we ginned up a marking-type power for rogues which want to enrage people with their smugness:

Tempting Target
Melee Attack
At-will
Target: One enemy
Attack: Dex+level vs. AC
Hit: WEAPON + Dex damage, and as long as you have Momentum the target takes a -4 on attacks that don't include you as a target. For attacks against you, the target ignores attack penalties that aren't the result of Dazed/Weakened.
Miss: Damage equal to your level

The second part of the Hit is to keep it stacking from the Paladin's deathmatch or any other marking mechanics that I don't know about. Not sure what level it would be since all of our rogue's half-dozen ways of mitigating hits came fairly late in the campaign, but given how situational it is I might go with 3rd. Not sure what Feats might go well with it.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Do we have an official ruling on how Archmage is pronounced in the 13th Age?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GruntyThrst posted:

Do we have an official ruling on how Archmage is pronounced in the 13th Age?

Ark-Hmage. You have to pronounce the 'h'. It's very important.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Archie McGee is the canonical pronunciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

A-dawg.