Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
'Yep! I smoked that fool.' is the best reply to being asked if you defeated a virgin-eating evil snake godling hiding in an underground cave with tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Update Eleven: No Disassemble

First up, I got some Junk to put together the one item we can at the moment.

The Cement Gun makes a good replacement for the Stirm Pistol - it's identical in power, but can stun machine-type foes. Now then! We head out of Torikami and north, into the desert.

You can spot where the Tank Graveyard begins by two things. First, the tank wreckage. Second, the fog. Everything in the area is covered in fog, which gets pretty thick, especially on the battle screen.

You can barely make out anything. Still, those are the Ghost Tanks back there. We can take them out easily - they're just normal enemies. This bounty should be a walk in the park.

Enemies of the Tank Graveyard

These guys accompany the ghost tanks. They're pushovers.

The Ghost Tanks themselves can be annoying because they begin battle out of range. Still, re-equipping Iggy with the Dog Gun will fix things there. We head back to Torikami's Hunter Office, but there's a small problem.

Hunter Office: Apparently, there have still been sightings. Sorry, but we can't give you the reward. Good luck, Mr. Bio Trader.

Well, that's a problem. Now, there's no indication that Kaede would be the person to talk about all this, but she is. We go see her.

: I've heard that the Ghost Tank is a manifestation of spiritual energy from those who died in a great battle long ago. If the victims can't let go of the past, then they won't find peace until the source of their discontent is eliminated. I don't know if that's even possible now...

Well, it's something to go on, at least. I head out towards the Tank Graveyard again, but on the way, I find some new enemies in the desert.

Enemies of the Desert near Torikami

Other than dropping an item, there's little to say. Well, they fly.

Hellatanks also fly - see, that's a misspelling by the translators. Or a pun, I guess. They're helitanks, held up by helicopter blades. Anyway! We had back to the Tank Graveyard and start wandering about.

While wandering, I find this - an assembly item - and also a randomly-findable item, Gum, which is unnaturally sweet chewing gum. Anyway, the real thing to look for is in the western part of the Tank Graveyard.

This big old monument. Along one side, if we use our detector...

Naturally, it turns out to be a tank.

The Panzer is a Panzerkampfwagen 1, a Nazi light tank. I plop a Teleporter on it, and then, since it is our fifth tank, use a Satcom function I had ignored until now.

The remote lets us select any tank not currently being driven which has a Teleporter and send it to any town we can teleport to. I send the Panzer off to Junkyard for now. It'll end up outside the town - not the best place for it, but it won't be there long. Now, we turn our attention to the monument itself.

If we can wipe out the memory of the ancient battle, maybe we can release the ghosts. We get in a battle with the Monument, but it's not worth watching. See...

...this is the entirety of the battle. The Monument has no attacks whatsoever. So we just shoot it a lot.

Thank you...
Thank you...
...The voice can no longer be heard.

The Monument

Truly impressive. With the Monument gone, the fog is cleared from the Tank Graveyard. Now, a new set of enemies is lurking the area alongside the ghost soldiers. The Ghost Tank enemies are gone.

Enemies of the Defogged Tank Graveyard

They fall over and explode. No threat any more.

The Manhunter is big and hits decently hard - enough of them can wear down our tanks by attrition.

Essentially identical to their white counterparts.

Deathbringers, like Manhunters, can be damaging but are otherwise not very notable.

Balloonist enemies are annoying at worst, and even then not very.

These guys are the first healer enemies we've run into, but they're no trouble at all. We head back to town for repairs, and we get a notable email.

This happens at five tanks acquired. However, Rosa's too tough for us right now, and so I plan to ignore this for a good while yet. It'll keep. We head home to Junkyard to drop off Elie and pick up the Panzer.

Then it's back to Torikami to talk to Kaede and tell her that we've handled the whole roving undead vehicle problem.

: Then, the spirits that created the Ghost Tank are finally resting in peace. I'm glad to hear that... I'm sure they're grateful for what you've done for them.

A trip to the Hunter Office confirms that they're gone, and we get a cool 20,000G for it. We also learn that there's a new target of the week.

I check our levels, and I decide that we're just about able to take on the Disassembler. Off to Beldaire! We head into Rosa's garage.

Repair Shop: But Miss Rosa's vehicles are disassembled--every single one of 'em!

She's taking it about as well as might be expected.

Carl's the important one to talk to here.

: ......

Well, if you talk to him again, anyway.

: My sister's vehicles were completely taken apart, for no apparent reason. I can only think of one person who would do such a thing... ...the Disassembler. He's a crazy mechanic who's also known as the White Terror. Rumor has it that he was once a master mechanic, but now he's an outlaw bent on demolishing all combat vehicles. That's all I know about him. The Hunter Office doesn't have much information, either.

Once we hear that, we can find the Disassembler wandering around near the entrance to Beldaire.

(Click here for the boss fight. It's long!)

: I could barely contain my excitement as you were drawing near... And now, I can't wait any longer... So, without further ado, let the disassembling begin! Nothing will remain intact! Not one bolt! Mwahahahaha!

Disassembler is the hardest fight we've had, ever, and we're just barely ready for it.

Occasionally, he will laugh maniacally, which does nothing. More often, he will use Horrific Wrench.

In which he hits someone with a giant wrench. I've taken Rashid out of his tank because he's the only one whose normal attacks can compare to a tank cannon, and I want to preserve his tank for later. See, Horrific Wrench, when used on a tank, also breaks something. Max suffers the brunt of all this, and Kiriya has to get out and fix his tank eventually. After a certain point in the fight, he will stop using Horrific Wrench and will use his other attack, Boomerench.

Much like our Boomerench weapon, it hits everyone. Unlike ours, however, it does a shitload of damage. No special breakage effect, at least, but he wears down the Panzer such that I can't safely fix it - see, he does around a hundred damage per hit, and I can't weather that long on foot. I drop Rashid back in his tank for this part and rely on main guns and Max's laser to deal damage - though Max spends more time guzzling healing items then shooting lasers. Still, thanks to some luck and a lot of firepower, we come out on top.

: Mwahahahaha!

He falls over.

There's a boy standing between a man and a woman. Is this a family photo?
: Hey, could I see that for a sec? ...... Never mind. It's just my imagination.
The man in the photo resembled Disassembler, and the boy looked like Kiriya...

Huh. Odd, that. We stop by the local Mod Shop after I get all the tanks repaired. This fight has made it clear to me that I need to upgrade those engines. That leaves me with a lot of horsepower, so I also upgrade most of my weapons, and the durability on...well, just about everything. This marks our tenth Outlaw taken down, so that means we get a special email.

We absolutely are not ready to take down Lloyd, any more than we are Rosa. He'll wait, too. Now, why don't we head back to Newfolk? Maybe Kiriya's family will know what that was all about. Naturally, these next scenes are only available if Kiriya was with you for the Disassembler event.

(Click here for the cutscene.)

: Yes? What's wrong?
: ...... Oh, never mind... Sorry, Max, but I need a break.

He heads upstairs. Martha makes her way down.

: Darling, did something happen to Kiriya?

Misha heads over, too.

: It looks like something's bothering him...

: So, I'll just tell you the truth: Kiriya isn't our son.
: What!?
: Darling, don't tell me...
: Yes. I think he's figured it out.
: I had no idea... So, we're not really siblings...?
: I wanted to tell you...
: Don't worry, I understand.
: It doesn't change the fact that he's my brother. If I'm OK with it, then I think he will be too.
: ...Do you really think so? I hope you're right. What do you think, dear?
: He'll always be my baby...
: So, nothing's really changed: he's still a part of our family. But, we do need to talk to him about it. Max, sorry to trouble you, but would you mind bringing him back here?

So we go up to talk to Kiriya.

He turns around as we come in.

: Max... What's wrong?
: ...Oh, right. I'm the one who needed a break.

He walks over to Max.

: This is the only place I can call home. It's where my family is, right? Sorry if I caused you any trouble. Let's get going.

And there we are. Kiriya is the son of the Disassembler, before he went insane. After that, Nikolai and Martha adopted the poor kid and raised him as their own. I like this little event. It's very :unsmith:. Now that we've caused and resolved Kiriya's adoption issues, I think he needs some time with his family.

: Sounds like fun. I'll join you.
: Hey! Wait a minute! Are you saying you don't need me anymore?
: Hahaha, see ya later, Kiriya.

And now we're back with Misha again. It shouldn't take long for her to get back up to speed. We head back to Beldaire to turn in this bounty.

And what a bounty it is! 80000G for the Disassembler! Now, it's off to find Morgue Town. That means a trip back to the Tank Graveyard. Morgue Town lies in the western part of the Tank Graveyard, you see, by some mountains.

Looks like a real happening place.

E-Mails

Diary Entries

Next time: Wandering the desert in search of Eagle 1!

Please suggest names and which paint job you want for the Panzer. (You can check on the various colors back in Update 4).

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 12, 2014

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

If this is the only tank we'll get then go with Payne, but if it's just the first of some/many then go with Power for a start, leaving Payne for one of the later tanks.

It has been entirely long enough. Bring on the Payne!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Reichter

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

The Panzer should be called Ulmer

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Interesting that you have to destroy the moment. Japan likes it Monuments and Memorials.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Faust

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

cokerpilot posted:

Interesting that you have to destroy the moment. Japan likes it Monuments and Memorials.

Yeah, I found that really weird.

Anyway, the tank doesn't walk, but let's call it the Wanzer anyway.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Mehuyael posted:

Yeah, I found that really weird.

Anyway, the tank doesn't walk, but let's call it the Wanzer anyway.

I'm gonna have to second this.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

cokerpilot posted:

Maybe it's a monument to the other army? :v:

Also, call our new buddy the Wanzer

Edit: Man, we're in Torikami already? That seems pretty fast. Although I guess it should feel faster since we're not seeing all the downtime stuff between updates (leveling, money-making, etc.)

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 13, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tupperwarez posted:

Edit: Man, we're in Torikami already? That seems pretty fast. Although I guess it should feel faster since we're not seeing all the downtime stuff between updates (leveling, money-making, etc.)

This is the main thing. I don't show you guys the grinding, because frankly, no one cares about that. You want to get the full grind experience, go play the game. I care about presenting the neat stuff the game has to offer.

That said, another part of it is that I don't need to make money very much after the train. That seed money's gonna last me a long time.

E: To make it clear - each update is between one and three hours of gameplay time, usually.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 13, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Destroy a war monument so the ghosts can rest in peace" is kind of a weird approach, but given that nobody alive remembers the war it's probably a mercy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Call the Panzer Faust! :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Update Twelve: gently caress Eagles

First up, since I forgot it last time...

Outlaw

The Disassembler's Satcom info. Now, we start things off with the new name.

The Panzer is now Wanzer! I went with this because it let me pin down what the cost formula is. 100G for every character that is different from what came before. Just W would have been 600G. Now, we start exploring the Junk Graveyard and hunting for Eagle 1. Eagle 1 wanders the world randomly, though he's stuck in the East, at least. He makes a very rough circuit of the continents.

A decent attack-all SE weapon.

A decent sub gun that deals fire damage.

A high-damage SE weapon.

This one, unfortunately, is quite weak for this point.

Some good torso armor.

A half-decent attack-all explosive gun.

A good main gun.

A decent sub gun. Fire damage, naturally.

Assembly components.

An excellent main gun. I spend a good hour and a half wandering around the desert, but see no signs of Eagle 1. So, I decide to go paint Wanzer.

No one voted, so I chose one myself. Nice and distinctive. I also get some Junk and stop by the assembly shop.

The Firebreather is a good fire-damage weapon. Misha gets to use it right now. After some more hunting for Eagle 1, I decide to take care of Morgue Town.

The entirety of Morgue Town is underground - it's much bigger than this one hut makes it seem.

: Well, Morgue Town was originally built as a shalter, just before the Great Destruction. It's called Morgue Town because it's inhabited by the "living dead." You know--cons, crooks, criminals--people who can no longer show their faces in public. Because of its location, hardly anyone knows that this town even exists. So that makes it the perfect hiding place for all these scoundrels. Hm, what else... Oh, there's one other thing that might interest you: The Hunter Office has declared the monster that lives in the sewer an outlaw. Don't ask me why. I mean, this town is so remote... But, I guess they must have their reasons. Well, that's it. I gotta get going. See ya around!

The thing in the corner is a ladder. We can head down and find a long corridor.

Everything here branches off this corridor or the one below it. We check out the bar first. No jukebox, I am sorry to say.

Hunter: You're not from around here, are you, kid? You just here to make money?

Hunter: ...What about? My sunglasses? Yeah, they're pretty cool, huh? And, they hide my true identity. Anonymity is your best weapon around here, kid. You like my Ice Armor? It protects me against the cold. It's kind of embarrassing, but I get cold easily. Heh... What's been bothering you lately? Oh, I see... Do you want to talk about it? You wanna know about this Mr. Stud Medal I'm wearing? Well, I can't tell you where or how I obtained it. Leave me alone! I said I can't tell you!

Yeah, he really will just go all stream of consciousness on you, this guy in the mole suit.

Old Woman: ...Oh, you're a hunter? Let me give you some advice, then... Don't stay here too long. The locals don't take kindly to strangers.
Old Woman: This town is a dead-end, kid. These people have nowhere else to go. Don't go trying to dig up someone's past here. Just mind your own business.

Man on the Run: ...*stare*...
: ...?
Man on the Run: Heh, I guess you're not after me, are ya kid? Man, I've been on the run for too long. I can't tell apart those who're looking for me from those who aren't, anymore.
Man on the Run: It's funny, it's been so long, I can't remember what started it all. I mean, I ran away from my parents, from my job, from debt collectors... from my friends, from my woman... And I ran, I ran so far away. Eventually, I ended up here in Morgue Town. It's tough being on the run at my age. I'm so tired of running. But, there's no guarantee that this town will be my final destination.
Man on the Run: If that ever happens, I'll run again. I'll keep running 'til I die. That's how it is when you're on the lam, kid.

Trader: But... I wouldn't go after it. I mean, there's an outlaw down there. I'm not risking my life for rumors about treasure in the sewer. No siree!

We totally will, though.

Trader: and there were all these strange people living there... I couldn't believe it! *sigh* Now, I don't have any place to call home...

That depresses me, I need a drink.

I also grab a Petrol Bomb from behind the bar. Nice little one-shot weapon.

Klepto Cobain: I am Kelpto Cobain. Liar, thief, and... rock god!
: ...!
Klepto Cobain: Hehehe... What's wrong? Don't you want to hear my killer voice? Yeah, yeah, yeah... You should check out one of my shows, sometime. The choice is yours... Don't be late.
Klepto Cobain: Hehehe... Yeah, but that was back in the day. I'm no longer a wanted man since the Hunter Association misplaced my file. And I swear that I don't have a gun... No, I don't have a gun. Hehe... You don't believe me? Oh well. Whatever. Never mind.

Now, it's time to go looting. There's not much of note in the rest of Morgue Town when it comes to talking, but loot? Plenty. The inn has some Ice Armor, and the Memory Center has a Chinese Sword - a weapon on par with the Evil Sword. There's no Hunter Office in Morgue Town. We can head to a room full of barrels to get a Tile Pack M, some Gourmet Dogfood and the Nitrolizer. The Nitrolizer is a truly amazing target-all weapon that deals fire damage...but it's only usable by Charlene. We can get some Battle Spikes from inside the weapon shop - the same boots that they sell. The item shop has a Healing Drink and Petrol Bomb. We can use the final room in the corridor to head down.

Whatever it is, it's definitely not human...

We'll deal with that later. Loot first. We can find a guy sitting around in a dormitory.

Hunter: Have you ever dealt with those guys who wear black suits and sunglasses? Well, let me warn you, then. Steer clear of 'em... I took a job, once, helping them explore some old ruins. The pay was good, and the work was easy... But when they found what they were looking for, they tried to kill me! Luckily, their first attempt failed, and I was able to escape... I've been hiding out here ever since. *sigh* My life sucks. ...Huh? Oh, it was a card of some sort. I'm not sure what it was for, but I overheard them say something about Ziggurat's security. Unfortunately, that's all I know.

Well, that's not ominous at all. We can raid the lockers for an Antidote (cures poison), some more Ice Armor and a Flame Gun - a decent fire-damage weapon. Fire damage is going to be useful in the sewers, as is Ice Armor - it prevents all cold damage, like the Shock Absorber stopped explosive damage. In the next room, we can get a Big Medal, a Boonie Hat and a Healing Drink. From there, we can get a Beretta - a non-elemental gun that's being sold upstairs - another Big Medal and an Antidote. In the next room, we have a Sugar Pill (when used, increases your speed in that combat) and a Fire Blaster (an attack-all fire weapon that can hit stealthed enemies - handy for the sewers and put on Max). Next dorm has a Gauntlet (decent hand armor sold in the local shop), a Vitamin (increases attack for one battle when used in battle) and an Unparalyzer (cures paralysis).

Time to head into the sewer.

A lot of our time here will be spent in the water. We come out of it to get a Hockey Mask (good head armor that goes on Misha - Max has better), then head back in to face the local Outlaw.

(Click here for the fight.)

The Sewer Demon is harmless as long as you have Ice Armor. I use this to show off Rashid's Groundbreaker.

Mostly, you want to use it against underground foes - against normal ones, the damage boost is not very high, so it's not worth the cost. The Sewer Demon has just one attack - Gas.

It hits the entire party and would deal excellent cold damage if, you know, I took cold damage.

The Petrol Bomb is a great tool against him - he's weak to fire damage already, and it causes the Fire status, which deals damage every turn.

No real trouble at all.

Outlaw

From here, we head downstairs, to the lower sewers. There, we can get the Dog Wings.

They are a missile launcher. Very nice. If we keep going down the hall, we can get the Sword Blade, an assembly item. We can then go down this hall infinitely if we want...but the moment we turn back, we find ourselves back at the ladder.

Enemies of the Sewers

They're pushovers.

They start out of range, but it's not really a thing, since they always move into range as their first action.

Exclusively found in the lower level.

As above.

These guys, too.

I've never seen these even attack. We head back to Torikami to turn in our bounty, and find that there's a new target of the week.

We get a cool 10,000G for the Sewer Demon, then head to Junkyard to go talk to Doc Solomon.

: Well don't bogart the computer, my boy. I'd like to have a look! It looks about 30 percent complete, now. Keep up the good work! Check the shelf left of the sink for a little incentive. I used it back in my hunter days. Try it out if you haven't done so already.

We get Solomon's Boots, an immense pair of metal boots that we can't put on. We could fit both feet in one boot, in fact. Then, it's back to the sewers. There's rumors of treasure down there, and Sodam Insein sold us a map that pointed us down there!

(Click here for the cutscene.)

: Are you not understanding of the situation? You see, I will steal of your loot and be making money easily, yes?

His punks attack us.

It goes poorly for them.

: ............ ............Huh? ...Er, that is, I wasn't being the expectation you guys would beat me.
: B-But, I'm having the sick wife and child! Yes, and parents as well!
: The Grandma... a-and...
: ...A-As you can see, I am having the many responsibilities...

If we choose not to, then he screams and the cutscene ends. Presumably, we'd kill him. But I'm feeling merciful.

: You are what is said to be a real man, yes? If I was the young lady, I would be all over you! Here is the thing which can express my thanks to you... I will be seeing you later, yes?

He gives us 100G and runs off. I head out of Morgue Town. Now, at this point, we could easily be done - and, indeed, we're essentially done with the East, save for some stuff I am saving for a rainy day, like gift-giving. But I decide to take the next hour or so and hunt for the Eagle 1 some more.

This fucker? Not the Eagle 1. This is the B2 Manta Ray, and he is an rear end in a top hat. You remember how I said that the Eagle 1 wanders randomly but is confined to the East? The B2 also wanders randomly. However, he can be anywhere on the map. He is also vastly more powerful than us at this second and we are not even slightly ready to take him on. This is just him taunting me, because eventually I will have to hunt him down, and he will be nowhere in sight.

(Click here for the fight!)

Eventually, though, after quite a while of waiting and watching and at least one period in which I saved, quit and came back later so I would stop being annoyed, I find the Eagle 1. This fucker.

He is an aerial foe, so melee attacks aren't very accurate, but we are using tank guns. He has one attack: Bomb.

He spits out bombs at the entire party for low damage. The challenge of Eagle 1 is just finding his rear end. He's totally harmless. In fact, he's literally harmless if you use Crash Landing on him - it makes Bomb automatically fail to target anyone, as he's too low to the ground and can't hit anything.

God, I hate this guy. We head to Torikami to turn this in, and it's taken so long that we have yet another new target of the week.

But hey, we get 12000G for our trouble. I'm not sure it was worth it.

Next time: Heading west.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Ahahaha holy poo poo, I totally forgot about this guy. Atlus localization team, keep doing what you do, you punny bastards.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tupperwarez posted:

Ahahaha holy poo poo, I totally forgot about this guy. Atlus localization team, keep doing what you do, you punny bastards.

I didn't get it. :(

Well I know what G.E. is but not what makes the Simmons part funny.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
*While reading the update*

Oh god, he's looking for Eagle 1? Well, it'll only take him an hour or two. It's not like it's--

THAT loving MANTA!!! :argh::argh::argh:

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Prism posted:

I didn't get it. :(

Well I know what G.E. is but not what makes the Simmons part funny.

Gene Simmons, lead singer of KISS. Infamous for apparently having a tongue about half a metre long. :thejoke:

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Those petrol bombs are really, really good. I have very little tolerance for grinding, so I used a big ol' stockpile to cheese my way past bosses I had no business going after.

I still ended up having to grind because this a JRPG, but for a while I felt like a huge badass.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So petrol bombs are... actually napalm, then?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Glazius posted:

So petrol bombs are... actually napalm, then?

I would imagine that they are just regular petrol bombs, which are quite happy to stay burning for quite some time when mixed properly, especially on vehicles.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
I'm just wondering how that dog survived that long under sewer water.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
How different can each playthrough be compared to, say, a SaGa game? I'm tempted to give this a try, but if you're showing off everything I'd rather skip the hours of JRPG combat.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I know this has probably already been answered somewhere but what does SE stand for in SE Guns and what are there advantages/disadvantages over the main gun.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mordecai posted:

How different can each playthrough be compared to, say, a SaGa game? I'm tempted to give this a try, but if you're showing off everything I'd rather skip the hours of JRPG combat.

There aren't really branching paths like in a SaGa game - it's more of an open world game. I am going to be showing off everything, or at least trying to. Most of what I'm doing is optional, in the sense that it is not required to beat the game or reach an ending, but would be done in pretty much any real playthrough. (Except maybe Eagle 1. I can see a player ignoring the wandering outlaws - the reward's not very big.) It is in theory an open world game you can do in any order, but there's definitely a progression that is intended based on enemy difficulty.

cokerpilot posted:

I know this has probably already been answered somewhere but what does SE stand for in SE Guns and what are there advantages/disadvantages over the main gun.

I honestly am not entirely sure what SE stands for. The manual just calls them SE, the game just calls them SE, and so on. They're largely missile weapons and their main benefit over the Main Guns is a tendency to be able to hit enemies that are out of range, airborne or some other state that can't be easily targeted. They have less ammunition, however, and often do somewhat less damage. (Except on AA tanks, which tend to have weaker main guns, and certain SE weapons which are very powerful.) Main guns can also never target more than one enemy, while some SEs can.

It should be noted that tank chassis can be configured to change what weapon mounts are available - well, some of them. The early ones can't, but later ones can alter the number of slots available for Main Guns or SEs and so on at the cost of one of the other weapon types.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

cokerpilot posted:

I think SE stands for Special Effect? Basically SE guns will let you harm enemies that have special statuses. Some will allow you to hit enemies that are cloaked, for instance, or shoot at flying/high-altitude enemies without accuracy penalties. They can come in handy if you don't load special shells in your tank or if you run out of special shells.

I feel that they're very specialized weapons and I usually don't use them often. But when I do need them, they are pretty useful. Especially for dealing with outlaws with annoying effects like cloaking or long range.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Some tanks also have multiple sub-guns. I think you can even fire link them, but I'm not positive on that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Update Thirteen: Journey to the West

As usual, last time's Outlaw.

Outlaw

gently caress that guy. Anyway, after grabbing some petrol bomb,s, we head for the train again.

First up, we head back for first class, since we have the teddy bear with us.

: ...Hey! It's Gluttony! You found my Gluttony! Thank you so much for finding him!

: Welcome back, Gluttony! I'm so glad you're OK.

Catherine's mother runs over to her.

Lady: Catherine, you found your teddy bear! I'm so happy for you!
: Mommy, he found Gluttony for me!
Lady: Oh, is that right? Thank you so very much! Catherine has been looking for her teddy bear ever since we boarded. Perhaps now she can enjoy the train ride.
Lady: Alright, sweetheart. Let's be on our way.
: Yes, Mommy! Thanks again, Mister! See you later!

They leave. That's it! No reward, just some warm fuzzies. Now, we head over towards the casino.

(Click here for the cutscene and bossfight.)

These people are all running out of the casino. If we head inside...

: Fredrick! We've got company!
: drat, a hunter? We've got what we came for. Let's get outta here!

They escape via a broken window.

Dealer: Y-You're a hunter!? Oh, thank god! Those were the Dalton Brothers, the infamous train robbers! Please, go after them!

We head up to the top of the train after the Daltons.

: ...Si.
: Fredrick, what are we going to do?
: Heh... The same thing we do every time, Shasta.

And so we start the fight.

Throw Knife is Shasta's main attack.

It's harmless. Fredrick will use Quickdraw.

Similarly harmless. Roberto can also shoot us, though his is a bit different, and somewhat more powerful.

Also it's via his trumpet.

Setting these guys on fire is useful. Otherwise, we're going to focus fire on one at a time. Of course, Fredrick has another trick for us.

Command raises the Attack of the Daltons. That could be dangerous! Fortunately, he misses Roberto with it, and Roberto's easily the most dangerous of the three.

See, Roberto can hit everyone with a powerful noise-damage attack. Still, with a little healing and focusing fire, they go down easily enough.

We jump to the Conductor's office.

Conductor: Well, since we were the ones who placed the bounty on them, we have taken the liberty of notifying the Hunter Office of their demise. Your reward has been well earned. And on behalf of the Continental Railroad, I would like to express my sincerest gratitude. Thank you very much!!

We get 12000G for taking the Daltons out. However, we're done on the train now - we can't gamble, because next time we enter the Casino, the Puppetmaster will be waiting, and he's a bit too tough for us right now. Instead, we look around at Alice One.

: I am working hard to share the joys of curry with the people here.

You can only have one Curry Lunch at a time, sadly. We head outside briefly.

This is our first vehicle assembly part! You use them to make vehicle gear. That's all for now - let's head back to Alice One.

: There's a good chance that you'll be bitten by mosquitoes.

Muscle Man: Oh, please forgive me. In my enthusiasm, I have forgotten my manners. We are faithful followers of Gluteus Maximism, and we study the teachings of the honorable Father Muscle.

He gets a new name!

Gluteus Maximist: "Our world is one in which only the buffest survive. Therefore, we must diligently train our bodies to physical perfection. A divine spirit can only dwell within a muscular body. This is the true path to enlightenment." ...Such is the doctrine of Gluteus Maximism, as spoken by our leader, and founder of the religion, the venerable Father Muscle. If you are interested in salvation, young man, please visit us at the Muscle Cathedral, located south of town.

Now, if we talk to him again and ask him to pump us up...

(Click here for the minigame!)

It's essentially the same as the dancing minigame, but harder. I screw up a few times.

The Weight Set is designed to pump you up! When used, it warns us not to strain ourselves, Arnold. Now, we stop by the Hunter Office to check on bounties.

We can also find something else there.

: Y'know who Derringer Jack is, kid? Well, if yer thinkin' of goin' after 'im--don't.
: I'm the one's a gonna kill 'im, and ain't no one gonna get in my way!

We can get a Big Medal from the cactus outside, then head into the shop.

Man: You see, I had all my money stolen, and I don't have enough for the train.

Man: Thank you so much! I'll pay you back as soon as I get home.

200G is nothing, so...keep it?

If we say Hell...

Mercenary: Ha! That's a good one. Hey, you should go noprth. There's a mountain full of monkeys up there. You'll feel right at home.

And if we say the Junkyard...

Mercenary: You're a bounty hunter, right? Well, there's no shooting allowed here. There are a lot of fuel tanks around town, so all gunfire is outlawed. And, kid, beware of armed bandits sneaking about. They're after the fuel. They used to be hunters and transporters, but now... Well, let's just say it's my job to protect the town from people like them.

Standard upgrades, but the Dog Bayonet is the first melee dog weapon.

It's a beam spear! We head to the bar to talk to Charlene. She's needed for some stuff in town.

: Hot dang! I'll show ya that the gun is mightier than the sword! First, let me introduce myself...

: My name's Charlene. I specialize in guns. Let's rock!
: Hm, then I shall stay here and relax for a while. If you grow tired of listening to the bang of her gun, I would be glad to wield my sword for you.

Heading over to one of the town's garages...

Trader: I'd love to drive a tank. But, unfortunately, I'm just a transporter.
Trader: Well, I mainly transport goods to the West. My cargo usually consists of grain and alcohol.

Trader: Well, vegetables can only be grown in the West if they're planted in pots. And since it costs so much to grow them that way, they've become a luxury. Only the rich can afford to eat vegetables with every meal.

Transporter: transport industry. To save money, companies would start shipping their expensive cargos by rail. Only the low-paying cargos would be left for drivers. So, a lot of transporters would leave the area to find better paying jobs. Not me, though. I'd stay. I don't care how much the job pays. That doesn't matter to me. All I care about is making my deliveries on time. I take great pride in my work.

Transporter: I just took it in for a complete paint job. I had them put a decal of the Vlassique on the hood. Jealous much?
: ......?
Transporter: You've never heard of the Vlassique!? The Vlassique is a demon from hell that first appeared right before the Great Destruction. It has green skin with bumps all over it, and long, thin arms. It shoots fire from its mouth, and lightning bolts from its eyes! The Vlassique always appears at the height of summer, and drags its prey down to the depths of hell! It's so badass!
Transporter: You should have the Vlassique decal put on your tank, too. You won't be able to get it done right away, though. It's so popular, I heard the wait is like six months!

Pretty sure this is a reference to Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's Rat Fink art. I think.

Rockopolis posted:

Vlasic is a brand of pickles. Their mascot was a stork and I vaguely recall their tv ads being annoying earworms.
Edit
I think it was "Now that's that's Vlassic." or some similar pun.

Also apparently it's this.

This guy will be important later - he allows us to trade some items for vehicle weapon assembly parts.

Standard set of vehicle upgrades. We grab a Tile Pack L from a nearby crate, then head out to talk to people.

Mercenary: I bet. Dude, if I had my own vehicle, I'd totally mod it out! Then, I'd drive it all over the world... I'd even take the feared Lake Bridge route to Lorelei Bay. The ladies would be all over me like a cheap suit. It would be so awesome...

Woman: Well, his name is Leon, and even though he's young, he stays in his house all doing-- Well, I don't know what. The strange thing is, he sometimes leaves town for long periods of time. He seems to have a hunter friend who goes with him when he does. ...Wait a minute, that cap you're wearing... I remember the hunter wearing something similar...

We head inside Leon's house. We can get an UDAR, Mechanic Kit and Mechanic Gloves here. The UDAR is a gun sold in the local shop, as you can see above, and the Mechanic Gloves are mechanic-only gloves sold there.

: I'm sorry, it's just that I've had quite a few hunters visit me lately. My name is Leon. I'm researching the cause of the Great Destruction, as well as the technology that existed before it. I want to understand why the world is in its current state. Why did the Great Destruction occur? Did someone cause it to happen? If so, who? And, for what reason? ...... Wait... Have we met before? You look familiar somehow... Anyway, I'm sorry for going on like that. As you can see, I'm very passionate about my research. Anyway, it's nice to meet you.

A local construction worker will tell us that he's heard moles appeared at the nearby construction site and stole the equipment. His family talks about how he wishes he was making more money for them.

"FOR SALE OR RENT
Price negotiable.
For more information, please contact Banjo."
: ...... I can't quite put my finger on it, but somethin' about this house seems familiar...

Banjo lives next door.

Banjo's Wife: Oh, you'll need to talk to my husband, then. He's on the second floor.

We can steal this town's melee weapon, the Shamshir, from her fridge, and the Metallic Suit, the local armor, from upstairs.

Banjo: Oh, the house for sale? Well, the asking price is 3000G. Are you interested?

3000G is nothing.

Banjo: WHAT!? ...I'm not sure if you heard me correctly. I said 3000G. Do you really have that much money?
Banjo: *gasp* 3000G it is... Uh, sorry I made such a big deal over the asking price... I just didn't think you'd be able to afford it. Well, I guess the house is yours, now. ...... A family used to live in it a long time ago... In fact, you look very similar to the little girl who used to live there. Is your name Charlene?
: Yep, that's my name... I kinda remember seein' that house before, but I really don't remember.
Banjo: Is that right? Well, you were a little kid back then. I remember you and your father quite well.
Banjo: I guess I thought you were buying the house so you could live in it again. But, it doesn't matter. It's yours again.

Now we can go inside.

: Yep, this place is a lot like where I used to live...
: (...Unfortunately, that ain't the only thing I remember...)
: ...Oh, sorry. I was just daydreamin'. Hey... I know this place is yers, but do ya mind if I use it too?

: Fer real!? That's mighty kind of you, Max!

We can get a Mole Grenade (for underground foes) and a Dog Tag from the house. Outside, McKinley has finally showed.

: The Continental Railroad has their second station here, in Alice One. It's the point of departure for those headed west. There's also a huge lake west of here, and you'll find the city of Dowan nearby. Ferries connect Dowan with other towns, so check it out if you get the chance. Well, that's all I know! I'll see you later!

We check out the local Skill Master.

Misha trades Repair for Repair II. I also grab Recycle, which converts vehicle parts into scrap metal, and Guardian Angel, which heals all party members 100HP. Max picks up Bull's Eye, which automatically raises his attack, and Charlene grabs Rapid Fire, a skill that hits airborne or stealthed foes if she has a dual-wield weapon, and Shadow Shot, which stuns Bio-type enemies. We could grab Can Opener, which pulls sheltered enemies like the turrets out, but I don't see the point. They come out easily.

Manager: This is the Dog Colosseum, where you pit your dog against monsters. If your dog wins the battle, you receive prize money!

(Click here for dog fights.)

These are enemies we'll be seeing in nearby areas, and the Dog Fight is just the dog fighting them solo. Iggy's tough, but once he starts taking damage, it's time to pull him out. Eventually, this can be a great way to earn cash easily. We head back to the bar to grab Rashid, who will be needed for the next dungeon.

: Certainly, young hunter.
: Fine! Be that way! My gun puts his sword to shame. ...It's yer loss.

Diary Entries

Next time: Monkey magic!

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 20, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The dialogue choices are still the best :allears:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Vlasic is a brand of pickles. Their mascot was a stork and I vaguely recall their tv ads being annoying earworms.
Edit
I think it was "Now that's that's Vlassic." or some similar pun.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
What. How did I miss this?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mors Rattus posted:

Muscle Man: Oh, please forgive me. In my enthusiasm, I have forgotten my manners. We are faithful followers of Gluteus Maximism, and we study the teachings of the honorable Father Muscle.

quote:

We are faithful followers of Gluteus Maximism

quote:

Gluteus Maximism

:allears:

The best video game religion. The goddamned best. :allears:

There is nothing else like it. There will never be anything better than it.

Gluteus Maximism is the reason I played this game to completion. I thought I was enjoying it before this town. I was wrong. I was so, so wrong.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Whoa whoa wait, we're just leaving Charlene there? We are eventually going to put her through the paces right? Or are we just punishing her for being fanservice?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
The general vote was for Rashid to be our Soldier party member, sadly. I didn't vote for him, but them's the breaks.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Derek Barona posted:

The general vote was for Rashid to be our Soldier party member, sadly. I didn't vote for him, but them's the breaks.

Thanks Rashid

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cangelosi posted:

Whoa whoa wait, we're just leaving Charlene there? We are eventually going to put her through the paces right? Or are we just punishing her for being fanservice?

We'll be picking her up again and using her shortly. Rashid just has a special thing at Monkey Mountain. I will then use Charlene for a while to get some more of her events, but ultimately swap back to Rashid.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Update Fourteen: This Episode Brought To You By The Letter M

Forgot to show the Daltons. Well, here they are.

Outlaw

Now then! We head north from Alice One towards Monkey Mountain!

Monsters of the Western Wastes

Easy, certainly, but they aren't kidding about being worth little XP.

Nothing special here.

These guys can be annoying, but they're still no trouble. Once we head inside Monkey Mountain, we can find a little outpost waiting for us at the start of the dungeon.

Soldier: Monkeys are actually very intelligent. You might be surprised...

Hunter: Watch out for his hired thug. I'm serious...

This trader is an assembly shop, but for a specific set of items. We'll see more of him a little later. We start heading up the mountain.

There's a bridge to the right that we ignore, heading past it for now.

That brings us to this bridge, to the left, which takes us...

...to a series of bridges we can jump off. The Mini Vulcan is another low-damage target-all gun. Nothing we need, really. This drops us where we started off, essentially, so it's time to go back up the mountain.

This time, we do go over that bridge to the right. Heading back down on this side, we find a cave.

The Amorph is a good main gun that goes on the Wanzer. We head back up the mountain to the bridge, and from there, make our way up even further, where we find the terror that is Granddaddy Kong. But first...

Monsters of Monkey Mountain

They're all essentially identical - they take hits decently well and can wear you down in numbers.

(Click here for the cutscene and fights!)

: I am impressed you were able to get this far, but unfortunately, this will be the end of the line for you guys.

Choosing the other option just kicks us out of the area.

: That's the problem with you humans... You think you can go around doin' whatever you please. ...Dr. Zeus!

: Maybe you could give me some peace and quiet... ...Capiche?
: Hey, no hard feelin's, y'know? I'm just doing my job. ...Here I come!

We are tossed into a fight with Doctor Zeus.

Doctor Zeus can be more trouble than he looks, though not a lot more.

He starts the fight by eating a banana. Shooting him as normal is the main strategy here, but after that banana, he'll use his main attack - a target-all sword attack called Reaper Slash.

You want to be careful to get the final hit in with Rashid, or you'll miss out on a minor thing.

Once Doctor Zeus is down, though, we're not done.

: A good solid monkey punch to the head should put you in your place!

Now we have to fight Granddaddy Kong himself. He also starts by doing nothing - not even an animation for it - as he inhales. After that, though, his next two attacks will be his Shriek.

It hits everyone for decent damage. Still, even with two fights in a row, it's not too tough.

We can loot a Royal Towel, some Royal Soap and a Big Medal from the bath area. Also, the reward we got for taking Rashid here? Now, Max's title is Monkey Masher.

Outlaw

Now, we head back to Alice One. Charlene no longer waits in the bar, but in the upper floor of the house we bought for her.

: That's what I thought! Now, let's get goin'!
: Hm, then I shall relax for a while at the bar. If you grow tired of listening to the bang of her gun, I would be glad to wield my sword for you.

We get 20,000G for beating Granddaddy Kong. Then I spend a while grinding Charlene up and getting some Junk. We head back to Monkey Mountain.

Scale models! If we'd used the Horn instead on the Iguanodon, we'd get the Freak of Nature. The Iguanodon is shaped like a big lizard, while the Tyrannosaurus has short arms and an oversized head. This guy puts together models and maps for us!

With that taken care of, we head out to follow the rails and clear up that Mega Mole problem at the second tunnel. However, we get interrupted.

(Click here to watch the cutscene!)

: Hey, you!

: Sorry to bother you, but do you happen to have a Repair Kit? Our truck's engine died, and it needs fixing. We were almost home, too...
: If you have one, can you sell it to us? We'll pay you whatever the store is charging.

: You're a mechanic? Yeah, go ahead. ...Think you can fix it?
: Um, we'll see... Please give me a few minutes...

Plenty of repair noises go here.

: Cool! Thanks a lot!
: Thank you so much... How much do we owe you?
: That's OK. It wasn't anything complicated. If I charged you for this, my dad would be furious.
: Are you sure? ...That's really nice of you! Thanks!
: You're welcome!
: Thanks again for everything! We live pretty close to here. It's not as big as a town, but feel free to drop by. See ya!
: Bye!

So, with that dealt with...

Worker: We won't be able to work until they leave...

Worker: ...... Man, I'm so bored, it's a miracle I haven't started repeating myself. ......

Soldier: Only soldiers hired by the Continental Railroad and licensed hunters are allowed to enter.

Naturally, we head in.

Mole Monster: Now begins the grand underground empire of the moles! Nothing like this has ever happened before! Not ever! Anybody who gets in our way will be ceremoniously destroyed!

Talking to moles causes random battles.

Mole Monster: The humans must be punished for how they treated our Lord!

Monsters of the Second Tunnel

Most of the monsters here are identical - they can go underground, making them very hard to hit, but are otherwise not much of a problem. We can loot the side tunnels for a Jacket Scrap, a Saratoga Suit (good armor that goes on Max), another Mini Vulcan, a Nameless Blade (an amazing sword that, for now, goes on Max), an Iron Bustier (great female-only armor for Charlene) and a Shades Frame. However, we're not quite ready for the Mega Mole, so I go do some more grinding. I also stop by a local camp.

Not normal Junk - the stuff the local enemies drop. Biotic Junk, Unknown Junk and so on.

Trader: Let's see... Hmm... This part is... And that goes there, so... Thanks for waiting! This is Fish Eye.

The item is random, from a list for each type of Junk. So far, we just have Biotic and Unknown Junk. Biotic Junk can be turned into Fish Eye, Ratchet 8, Mole Eye, Crow Eye, Eagle Eye, Snake Eye, Monkey Eye, Hammer, Hawk Eye, Plate, Cylinder, Cannon Guide, Amp, Dog Eye, Compressor, Ratchet 7 or Condensor. Unknown Junk can be Spray Nozzle, Cylinder, Ratchet 8, Fish Eye, Cannon Guide, Compressor, Eagle Eye, Hammer, Snake Eye, Hawk Eye, Ratchet 7, Dog Eye, Ratchet 9, Plate or Mole Eye. All of these are vehicle part assembly items. If we head into one of the tents...

Trader: Good, good... You have fun with that. You're trying to find the wild bus, right? Well, there's a place in the desert north of here called the Bus Stop Remains... Why don't you try using that over there, eh?

We'll do that later, though. Now, it's time to go back and face Mega Mole.

(Click here for the boss fight!)

Mega Mole is tough. He hits hard and he takes hits well. He starts the fight out of range, and will spend two rounds attacking before he enters attack range. He will always use his Drill Missiles.

They hit everyone for good damage. Once he's in range, he'll start using Tackle.

This hits everyone for good damage and can damage parts. Occasionally, he will also use Drill.

This hits one target for heavy damage. If you watch the video, you'll note that I use a Miracle Key uselessly - I forgot whether certain part damage counted as shutdown. (It doesn't.) You will also see Max attack with the Nameless Blade and do as much damage as tank guns do. It is an amazing weapon. Eventually, thanks to a lot of Quick Fix and hiding in tanks, we manage to, barely, beat it.

: A hunter must have come by. What do you think?
: I suppose you're right, but it's not like we needed it, anyway. It's just a rusted-out Tunnel Work Station, right? Have we retrieved the objects the moles had been collecting?
: Hope so. That should all be done by now.

A man runs up.

: What about the retrieval unit?
Agent: They've already escaped via a different route.
: Very good. Proceed as planned.
Agent: Yes ma'am!

He runs off.

: We should probably split too, hm?
: Yes, let's go. I'm tired of having dirt under my nails.

We get control back, and I use Repair II to fix up the worst of the damage.
Outlaw

We head downstairs on foot.

Huh.

This is all there is to find. When we head back to Alice One, we get an email.

Until this is dealt with, the train will not run. We can head to the Hunter Office to get 20,000G for taking out the Mega Mole, and to see the new bounty that's been put up.

Diary Entries

Next time: More Daltons, more exploring.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 24, 2014

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Yep, still the best game. :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

For those not in the know; it's a reference to Dr Zaius, that ape doctor (as in an ape who is a doctor) from Planet of the apes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Mors Rattus posted:

: I am impressed you were able to get this fat, but unfortunately, this will be the end of the line for you guys.
: :(

• Locked thread