Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkachute
Sep 10, 2011

So Cheryl, Heather and Alessa are all different people but also the same person. Basically Doctor Who then.

Funkachute fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Kase moch posted:

I... I liked the 2D controls better.

It's okay. I like them too.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Funkachute posted:

So Cheryl, Heather and Alessa are all different people but also the same person. Basically Doctor Who then.

Cheryl is part the part of Alessa that split off when she was burned or some poo poo and Heather is the reincarnation of Alessa. I think.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I feel like you guys would just have liked the first Silent Hill game you played and hated the rest of them regardless of which one you played first. Like at this point you hate the game so much that even the things that are good about it make you angry.

Kase moch posted:

I... I liked the 2D controls better.

Aw come on man you are giving Keith ammunition for his ridiculous inability to use controllers properly.

Coconut Indian posted:

Cheryl is part the part of Alessa that split off when she was burned or some poo poo and Heather is the reincarnation of Alessa. I think.

I think the idea is that Alessa didn't want her mom to sacrifice her to samael to gain power so she split her soul into Cheryl, and left her lovely burned up body in the Hospital for Lisa to get blackmailed into taking care of. Then Silent Hill 1 happened and Heather was born.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 13, 2014

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

ChairMaster posted:

I feel like you guys would just have liked the first Silent Hill game you played and hated the rest of them regardless of which one you played first.
I 100% agree

ChairMaster posted:

Like at this point you hate the game so much that even the things that are good about it make you angry.
I think we're pretty fair about only hating on the stuff we actually dont like, but sometimes we definitely exaggerate for fun. To be clear: I don't think either of us hate Silent Hill, we're just frustrated by the pacing and other bullshit the game throws at you. I think what it does with story and characters and atmosphere is really cool, especially SH2. Personally, I'm definitely not a fan but I'm super super interested in the whole thing.

ChairMaster posted:

Aw come on man you are giving Keith ammunition for his ridiculous inability to use controllers properly.

that's Kyle

Squallege posted:

I completely forgot about the horses neighing when you hit them.
that whole part was really cool until the boss was bullshit. I would also like to remind everyone that I beat that boss on the first try and I'm good at games.

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 13, 2014

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Somethingdumb posted:

that whole part was really cool until the boss was bullshit. I would also like to remind everyone that I beat that boss on the first try and I'm good at games.

I beat you could beat Sonic 2's final level in 1 try.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This is a pretty crazy boss fight. It's one that does punish you for using guns, and wants you to actually know how to use the melee system. As you guys learned, blocking her slashes leaves her open to attack, and she's fairly easy to manuever around. The moving platform and the horses add to a grotesque atmosphere. It's a weird fight though, easily. But as most Silent Hill bosses are more boring than anything else, a weird boss fight can be a vast improvement to, say, the giant dickworm at the start.

Hey guys you remember the fight with Cybil in Silent Hill 1 you remember that fight isn't this fight kinda similar GUYS this game's a SEQUEL.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Keith, you loving nailed it.

In a very odd and backward way, I actually kind of resented that the game made you get good at the combat system through this battle. I never felt that combat was something you were supposed to have mastered in the normal Silent Hill experience, so to speak - that it was always supposed to be this awkward, panicky thing, to a degree.

Also, on the 2D/3D front: I actually do prefer tank controls because of the changing camera-angle issue mentioned.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not sure if this is explicitly brought up in the following scenes, but in response to the question K&K broach at the end of this episode (spoilered just in case):

Alessa and Heather are now one. Heather is still Heather, she just remembers being Alessa too. The two personalities clashed on the Carousel and Heather triumphs, maintaining herself as the dominant personality. In the following area, you'll get commentary that largely confirms this--Heather will reference Alessa's childhood and recognize things from her past. The reason she's not kill-crazy like she sorta was in SH1 and when Claudia knew her is because Harry raised Heather with love, and that love ultimately is stronger than Alessa's hate.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kyle doesn't love the Duke and hate the Dualshock. You may be better at (non-2d platformer) video games than Kyle but as far as controllers go there's no competition.

I'm looking forward to see what decision you guys made in the next video.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 13, 2014

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This is a pretty crazy boss fight. It's one that does punish you for using guns, and wants you to actually know how to use the melee system. As you guys learned, blocking her slashes leaves her open to attack, and she's fairly easy to manuever around. The moving platform and the horses add to a grotesque atmosphere. It's a weird fight though, easily. But as most Silent Hill bosses are more boring than anything else, a weird boss fight can be a vast improvement to, say, the giant dickworm at the start.

Hey guys you remember the fight with Cybil in Silent Hill 1 you remember that fight isn't this fight kinda similar GUYS this game's a SEQUEL.

Also the bodies burning in the center of the carousel, similar to the lizard fight in SH1.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harry raised Heather with love, and that love ultimately is stronger than Alessa's hate.

The fact that this is pretty much the central theme of the whole game makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Like, they never come out and say that yeah that's basically it, but yeah. That's basically it.

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars

I'm not sure if this is explicitly brought up in the following scenes, but in response to the question K&K broach at the end of this episode (spoilered just in case):

Alessa and Heather are now one. Heather is still Heather, she just remembers being Alessa too. The two personalities clashed on the Carousel and Heather triumphs, maintaining herself as the dominant personality. In the following area, you'll get commentary that largely confirms this--Heather will reference Alessa's childhood and recognize things from her past. The reason she's not kill-crazy like she sorta was in SH1 and when Claudia knew her is because Harry raised Heather with love, and that love ultimately is stronger than Alessa's hate.
I totally agree with this explanation, and in addition...

The dark power of Silent Hill manifests by drawing on a person's inner demons. That's why the protagonists are always attacked by monsters -- and they're never the same from game-to-game -- because the town is drawing out that person's own fears and hatred and weaving them into physical terrors. (Except for SH1, I guess, where the monsters were manifestations of Alessa's dark side, not Harry's.) That's also why all the principle characters of SH2 -- James, Eddie, Angela, Laura -- saw different versions of the same town. In this way, the monsters aren't really cult minions being sent after Heather. They're just a natural part of how Silent Hill works. And in the last boss battle we saw, it finally drew out Alessa, her dead and buried old identity full of pain and hate. Silent Hill is basically an earthbound hell realm, where you punish yourself just for existing. Sometimes literally.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You took so long in that boss fight I was able to recognize a sound effect in the music that this game and Shadow Hearts share. Neato.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The shoe was red because in the original story the step sisters cut off parts of their feet to make them fit in the glass slipper. It filled with their blood.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

mikeycp posted:

The shoe was red because in the original story the step sisters cut off parts of their feet to make them fit in the glass slipper. It filled with their blood.
...and in the original Snow White, it wasn't an apple she bit into but the shrunken head of one of the dwarfs?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

The Merkinman posted:

...and in the original Snow White, it wasn't an apple she bit into but the shrunken head of one of the dwarfs?

I never said anything about that making sense. As far as I know that's still just a weird Silent Hill-ism.

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

Dianasaur Go! posted:

The dark power of Silent Hill manifests by drawing on a person's inner demons. That's why the protagonists are always attacked by monsters -- and they're never the same from game-to-game -- because the town is drawing out that person's own fears and hatred and weaving them into physical terrors. (Except for SH1, I guess, where the monsters were manifestations of Alessa's dark side, not Harry's.) That's also why all the principle characters of SH2 -- James, Eddie, Angela, Laura -- saw different versions of the same town. In this way, the monsters aren't really cult minions being sent after Heather. They're just a natural part of how Silent Hill works. And in the last boss battle we saw, it finally drew out Alessa, her dead and buried old identity full of pain and hate. Silent Hill is basically an earthbound hell realm, where you punish yourself just for existing. Sometimes literally.

See, this kind of stuff is exactly why Silent Hill is fascinating to me, and also why I've never really enjoyed the game much on my own. All of this stuff is interesting and awesome to read about, but I've never personally interpreted anything this deep from playing the actual game. Only from reading poo poo that other people say about the game.

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

mikeycp posted:

I never said anything about that making sense. As far as I know that's still just a weird Silent Hill-ism.

I thought the point was that you just match the shadow. You don't need Cinderella's shoe, you just need any shoe that looks about right. And the doll thing somehow looks like an apple in shadow. At least, that's how I rationalize that puzzle.

It's really strange seeing just how stupid this game can get from the perspective of people that never played it. This was my first Silent Hill game, and completely ridiculous instant deaths don't seem to matter as much when you're a teenager. And now I've got the whole game memorized, so there's no more thought involved in how to do any of it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Dianasaur Go! posted:

I do, however, maintain that the monsters met prior to entering Silent Hill ARE cult members whom Heather is either killing/avoiding. Vincent's comment "They look like monsters to you" kind of HAS to refer to that, especially given the big monster that kills Harry. I don't think Claudia is dragging around a giant katana-handed flesh beast bodyguard, so I assume that he's just some actual bad rear end in the cult. It doesn't really hold up, but I've never had a better explanation for Vincent's throwaway line otherwise.

EDIT: Well I guess I misremembered some things. Spoiler tags are now up.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 14, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He says it was just a joke right after, though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 14, 2014

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars

I do, however, maintain that the monsters met prior to entering Silent Hill ARE cult members whom Heather is either killing/avoiding. Vincent's comment "They look like monsters to you" kind of HAS to refer to that, especially given the big monster that kills Harry. I don't think Claudia is dragging around a giant katana-handed flesh beast bodyguard, so I assume that he's just some actual bad rear end in the cult. It doesn't really hold up, but I've never had a better explanation for Vincent's throwaway line otherwise.
I always assumed he was just loving with her. He doesn't strike me as the most trustworthy sort.

Spoilers fixed. NOT MY FAULT!

Dianasaur Go! fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 15, 2014

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Vincent's comment
Spoiler that poo poo. It's right around the corner. :mad:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hirayuki posted:

Oh, oops, I guess that cutscene hasn't happened yet. It's not like one line out of context from a conversation is a big deal or anything but I'll get rid of it anyway.

edit: Wait, no. I thought I was remembering the game out of order but he says it when you first meet him, doesn't he?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 14, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Hirayuki posted:

He...said that ages ago. He says that when you first meet him/

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No he hasn't. He has yet to speak that line, I double checked the script on GameFAQs.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

No he hasn't. He has yet to speak that line, I double checked the script on GameFAQs.

I stand corrected. I completely forgot there's another one-on-one with him, but there totally is! Go figure.

Diogenes Bub
Jun 21, 2013

Somethingdumb posted:

To be clear: I don't think either of us hate Silent Hill, we're just frustrated by the pacing and other bullshit the game throws at you. I think what it does with story and characters and atmosphere is really cool, especially SH2. Personally, I'm definitely not a fan but I'm super super interested in the whole thing.

This is exactly how I felt after playing SH2, the only series entry I've played. Although I had some idea of what I was getting into, so perhaps it didn't bother me as much as it could have. I still had a positive experience with the game overall.

I really hope they convey this as effectively as you just did, because that's actually a really nice conclusion, narratively speaking.

Wait...

me, a second ago... posted:

I really hope they convey this effectively

... never mind.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Diogenes Bub posted:

This is exactly how I felt after playing SH2, the only series entry I've played. Although I had some idea of what I was getting into, so perhaps it didn't bother me as much as it could have. I still had a positive experience with the game overall.

I really hope they convey this as effectively as you just did, because that's actually a really nice conclusion, narratively speaking.

Wait...

... never mind.

Like everything in Silent Hill, nothing is spelled out blatantly for you, and in the case of the LP, I suspect that K&K will miss out on a few things. A lot of this comes from the dialog we've had already mixed with a lot of descriptions of objects you examine in the following areas. There are, however, a few more big speeches and a few more big details that ought to give a clearish view of what's happening. I'll be curious to see, though. Hopefully K&K examine a lot of objects.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

I suspect that K&K will miss out on a few things.
Story-wise we havent missed anything really important yet, in any of the games.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Somethingdumb posted:

I hope you don't mean "at the time it was happening" when you say that. I mean let's be fair here you thought Kaufman was a good guy in the end of SH1.

Which is not to say that most people really understand the whole story of SH1 the first time they play it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Somethingdumb posted:

You guys missed a lot of dialog bits in SH2, including a semi-hidden conversation and you guys didn't listen to Mary's speech in the hallway.

Fortunately, as I said, SH3 it's a bit harder to miss the plot as they do a lot more speeches.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think Silent Hill 3 has any missable plot stuff anyway off the top of my head. There's nothing that's really "optional".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm a little surprised the game hasn't offered up Beginner Mode previously. What's the algorithm? Just X number of deaths or X number of consecutive (or nearly so) deaths?

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Part 21: Confessions with a Teenage Drama Queen
Heather is a benevolent god.

PS we've finished the game now, so the last couple videos should come out pretty quickly.

PPS OH, and then we plan to do a wrap-up podcast with Kamoc after the last episode.

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 3, 2014

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I can't tell if this level is horrible or not, too dark. Church is dumb.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That weird lengthy-rear end pause in the confession booth confused me too.

edit: I love the church (or lack thereof), the church is my favorite area in the game aesthetics-wise.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 3, 2014

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I can't tell if this level is horrible or not, too dark. Church is dumb.

It's a Chapel :colbert:

You're supposed to see the angel door by hearing a girl crying, and seeing some bloody footprints (Alessa's) going behind the wall. It's kinda creepy when you see it, and apparently annoying if you aren't paying enough attention to notice it and run past it. It makes plot sense for Heather to not think there's a door there until the footprints walk under the wall. Though it's still fairly obvious since there's nothing else there that could be a door and it just ends up seeming arbitrary that you have to wait.

The Enemies that reminded Keith of someone were weaker versions of the Missionary boss that killed Harry.

And yeah those are some ridiculous lingering pauses. I completely forgot about them.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Seemingly all movies have awful audio balance. Either that, or Netflix has hosed up every movie I've watched on it. Every time I watch a movie, I'm constantly turning the volume up during non-action scenes, and scrambling to turn the volume down for the loud rear end action bits.

Is this a surround sound thing? I've always been stuck with TV speakers only, so I have to wonder from time to time if movie audio is built for people with rad sound systems that mimic movie theaters.

Also I don't care that you don't think the elevator is clearly marked. There was a weird extra box on the map, you should've gone and looked at it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

19LettersLong posted:

PS we've finished the game now, so the last couple videos should come out pretty quickly.

PPS OH, and then we plan to do a wrap-up podcast with Kamoc after the last episode.

So once you finish this, you'll be starting a full LP of Pryzm: The Dark Unicorn, right?

• Locked thread