Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tokelau All Star posted:

Again, it's Louie's voice that is being heard during the speech. A real person wouldn't stop and monologue on Louie and men in general like that. The show gives Louie the opportunity to give a "Louis C.K. Rant" through the kind of person that is affected by regular joes who think being seen with a fat girl will somehow hurt their image.
I thought the Inbetweeners movie did a better job of that. Because it would be a lie to say that it doesn't a little sometimes, but if you like them it's obviously worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

No Wave posted:

She's a child now? This is how we treat adults - worrying about the "proper response" all the time? How hosed is that, two adults having a conversation and one has to learn how to "handle" the other. gently caress that.

Jesus you're insufferable. Proper response as in "haha lets continue this funny line of conversation by me also revealing something about myself," not some kind of weird whatever the gently caress it is you're getting at.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

No Wave posted:

I think she'd give up both to get the dates she wants.

Both what?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

a.) Being openly called fat by Louie
b.) Self-deprecating fat jokes

nutranurse posted:

Jesus you're insufferable. Proper response as in "haha lets continue this funny line of conversation by me also revealing something about myself," not some kind of weird whatever the gently caress it is you're getting at.
Theorycrafting conversations is the sign of an anxious and unhealthy mind. I used to do it. It's real loving bad.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 14, 2014

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I really enjoyed the scene of Louie and his ex-wife standing silently in the hall. I really felt like they were two people that knew each other so well that there was an entire unsaid conversation in those brief moments.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

This is exactly how I imagined goons would react to that episode.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Tokelau All Star posted:

I really enjoyed the scene of Louie and his ex-wife standing silently in the hall. I really felt like they were two people that knew each other so well that there was an entire unsaid conversation in those brief moments.

I completely forgot that Louie cast a black lady as his ex-wife, what was his reasoning for that again? Just because?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

nutranurse posted:

I completely forgot that Louie cast a black lady as his ex-wife, what was his reasoning for that again? Just because?
He wanted to fight the stereotype that all white children had white biological mothers.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

nutranurse posted:

What more reason is needed?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm being dense, but it's cool, because I'm being... progressively dense.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It was just because he liked the actress. He really doesn't give a crap if his two snow white kids have a black mother in the show, it's funny.

Not only that, in the first season when we saw their mom's hand in a doorway it was white. And his mother has been two different characters. And sometimes he's got a brother and sometimes he's got a sister. And his kid was played by a different girl in the first episode.

The show doesn't really care that much about continuity, it is super not hard to grasp.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

massive spider posted:

Remember, Louie is a comedian, it's demonstrated that she's pretty quick witted as well.

Their whole relationship has got these back and forth jibes going on it's only when they get to the fat thing that Louie suddenly puts kids gloves on "oh you're not fat...". Because he feels sorry for the poor fat girl and weird about bringing it up.

Calling her a disgusting pig is a bit much, but I'm sure he could have acknowledged that yeah, she's fat in some jokey way. She's fat, he's fat, his eating buddy is fat, they just had an extended sketch about it.

It's not the fact that she's fat per se which is the issue, it's the weirdness Louie/people have about addressing it.

Socially, you generally ignore people's physical deformities regardless of sex, though. I wouldn't joke about someone that is balding's lack of hair until I knew they had no problem being self depreciating about it, for instance. And people fake self depreciation constantly, so you generally have to be very careful about that kind of thing.

The situation was kind of a weird framing device that undermined some of the points to some degree.

edit for responses to other parts of the thread: Also, he wrote this especially SO that people would talk about it. Complaining that people are talking about it makes no sense.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

edit for responses to other parts of the thread: Also, he wrote this especially SO that people would talk about it. Complaining that people are talking about it makes no sense.

A discussion taking up more than a single page in a thread is like the number one most complained about this on this site. People hate discussions.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I mean, I'd get it if the kids looked even a little mixed, but they clearly aren't so what's the deal.

Coulda created some great casting opportunities for some mixed race child actors.

evvv: Yeah, I wouldn't want the kids cast differently either.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 14, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

nutranurse posted:

I mean, I'd get it if the kids looked even a little mixed, but they clearly aren't so what's the deal.

Coulda created some great casting opportunities for some mixed race child actors.
He cast the kids in S1. That wife only showed up in season 3. And the kids are PERFECT, it's impossible for me to imagine that those three aren't an actual family.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Darko posted:

Socially, you generally ignore people's physical deformities regardless of sex, though. I wouldn't joke about someone that is balding's lack of hair until I knew they had no problem being self depreciating about it, for instance. And people fake self depreciation constantly, so you generally have to be very careful about that kind of thing.

The situation was kind of a weird framing device that undermined some of the points to some degree.

Yes but at this point though they've known each other for a while, she knows it took like 4 attempts to get him to agree to go out with her, and she knows why that is, they BOTH know why it is. So when he starts going "you're a very beautiful...uh" it rings like the bullshit it is.

Louie isn't a bad person for reaching for the thing you're programmed to reflexively say "no you're not fat!" But that doesent make it any less transparent bullshit.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 14, 2014

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

The show exists in a fluid and almost dreamlike state of flexible reality. It's not like anything else on TV, it's not useful to apply regular TV watching logic to it. We're presented with versions of events that are heavily exaggerated by and through Louie's brain. Chelsea Peretti wouldn't really have a helicopter waiting for her to help her ditch their date, Louie wouldn't really have that convenient set of vehicles to jump in and out of to avoid talking to his father, but these are all things that we could see Louis C.K. the comic joking about on stage. The show gives him the chance to visually express all these weird hypothetical situations he jokes about in his stand-up routine. It's not like anything else on TV, and it's brilliant. Louie can do whatever he wants, just roll with it and enjoy the ride.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

No Wave posted:

Theorycrafting conversations is the sign of an anxious and unhealthy mind. I used to do it. It's real loving bad.

Uh, no it's not? It's perfectly normal. Sorry about your anxiety issues, buddy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

verybad posted:

Uh, no it's not? It's perfectly normal. Sorry about your anxiety issues, buddy.
I truly believe there exists some combination of words. There must exist certain words in a certain specific order that can explain all of this, but with her I just can't ever seem to find them.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

nutranurse posted:

From what I remember what Louie said on O&A, it's because she nailed the audition (I think for the talk show arc?) perfectly.

He said that if he discovered her earlier, the kids would've been casted to reflect as such. But he didn't, so there you go.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Darko posted:

Complaining that people are talking about it makes no sense.
No we're complaining that goons predictably have the worst opinions on the subject at hand.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

No Wave posted:

I'm being dense

:ironicat:

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

No Wave posted:

I truly believe there exists some combination of words. There must exist certain words in a certain specific order that can explain all of this, but with her I just can't ever seem to find them.

Nah see, maybe you don't see it because you've had problems with this thing in the past, but a healthy person can actually run through hypotheticals in their head without developing an obsession. Shocking and unfair, I know.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I miss the opening credits.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

PostNouveau posted:

did they lose the license for that song or something? It really was great.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Me too. Whenever I hear It's Too Late by Carole King on the radio I get bummed that it's not Brother Louie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

beanieson posted:

did they lose the license for that song or something? It really was great.

Nah, it was written for the show, I think.

Edit: Oh, it is actually a cover song, so maybe they did lose the license. Here's the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiM6hF1naXE

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 14, 2014

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, it was written for the show, I think.

nah, "brother louie" was first recorded in the early 70s

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sub Rosa posted:

No we're complaining that goons predictably have the worst opinions on the subject at hand.

I dunno, I haven't seen a single "god what a fat awful bitch she needs to just shut the gently caress up" or anything that heinous. There are obviously some people who are a little off, but no one who is outright beligerant and awful (though saying he should have called her a "disgusting pig" is getting up there, thanks Irish Joe!)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

I dunno, I haven't seen a single "god what a fat awful bitch she needs to just shut the gently caress up" or anything that heinous. There are obviously some people who are a little off, but no one who is outright beligerant and awful (though saying he should have called her a "disgusting pig" is getting up there, thanks Irish Joe!)
The good news is that that's not what Irish Joe said.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No Wave posted:

The good news is that that's not what Irish Joe said.

Ah, you're right, he just wondered what would have happened had he "been honest and called her a disgusting pig". That's sooooo much better.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

I dunno, I haven't seen a single "god what a fat awful bitch she needs to just shut the gently caress up" or anything that heinous.
I, too, am avoiding the GBS thread that was linked

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

No Wave posted:

Theorycrafting conversations is the sign of an anxious and unhealthy mind.

I don't think it is.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Tokelau All Star posted:

You know, I didn't really think of that episode as a "message" episode but if there's anything to take away from it, it's that the concept of Dangerous Strangers is really pretty silly. 90% or so of the people you see day-to-day, even in a huge city, are harmless folks, and are probably a lot more like you than you realize.

I mean, I can totally see where a parent would be absolutely terrified for the safety of their child in a situation like that, but even when we're shown an unseen stranger trying to console Louie's daughter it turns out to be nothing. It was just some guy checking on a kid who was alone at a subway platform. And when Louie is going into the woman's apartment, he's just there to help the lady in the elevator, but from the niece's perspective he's a dangerous intruder. It's fine to be cautious, but it's not really healthy to assume that everybody is dangerous, because most people really aren't. They're just people.

beanieson posted:

nah, "brother louie" was first recorded in the early 70s

By total coincidence, I was buying a bunch of 45s one time, and one of them happened to be of that song. This was after I'd seen the show, and as soon as I saw that in the lot I had to put it on and play it. Man, I miss that as the opening song, and I wonder why it was taken out.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 15, 2014

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

By total coincidence, I was buying a bunch of 45s one time, and one of them happened to be of that song. This was after I'd seen the show, and as soon as I saw that in the lot I had to put it on and play it. Man, I miss that as the opening song, and I wonder why it was taken out.

Good stuff about the "dangerous strangers" angle. As far as the opening credits go, if my years of watching Simpsons DVD commentaries taught me anything it's that title sequences getting cut usually mean extra content in the episode itself.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Red posted:

I don't want to dip back into that poo poo, but somebody was.
Yes, that is two very big examples of me saying something completely different from what it was suggested I said. Again, not comparing black women to fat women. I'm comparing assholes to assholes.

Mostly this:

massive spider posted:

It's not the fact that she's fat per se which is the issue, it's the weirdness Louie/people have about addressing it.

The central point being that everybody has a right to not be talked down to or treated like poo poo. Not just people who live up to your personal standards for whatever criteria by which you're judging them.

It doesn't matter if you're talking about race, ability, gender, or body size. You don't get to decide that because blahblahblah it's okay to be a shitbag to people or tell them to change so that they'll be treated better. The poor treatment is the problem; not its imagined "cause."

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Please have mercy, the horse died hours ago.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

90% or so of the people you see day-to-day, even in a huge city, are harmless folks, and are probably a lot more like you than you realize.

If every 1 in 10 people on the street are dangerous, that's a lot of dangerous people.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ApexAftermath posted:

So the unbleeped "gently caress" from the girl during her speech was unexpected. Maybe FX has done this other times? First I've seen it and it was refreshing.

Chozen dropped a 'oval office' in its pilot episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

Please have mercy, the horse died hours ago.
If you want me to stop, focus on the people arguing that it's okay to discriminate and treat people poorly.

• Locked thread