Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Nut Bunnies posted:

2001 is way better, even though the storylines were awful. Not really a bad show all year. I thought 2002 was a pretty bad year outside of Survivor Series and 1 or 2 decent shows.

I think you mean Summerslam instead of Survivor Series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
No, I mean Survivor Series, which I consider one of the all time great shows. Top to bottom excellence.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yeah its great. Being at MSG was a big plus.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Nut Bunnies posted:

No, I mean Survivor Series, which I consider one of the all time great shows. Top to bottom excellence.

I wanna think that but I look it up on Wikipedia and see a 15 minute match that features Rico and a 5 minute WWE Title match. There is not a single match on Summerslam 2002 I would consider bad.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I Before E posted:

I wanna think that but I look it up on Wikipedia and see a 15 minute match that features Rico and a 5 minute WWE Title match. There is not a single match on Summerslam 2002 I would consider bad.

Undertaker/Test?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Undertaker/Test?

...Yeah, that one's pretty bad, my mistake.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

But the Big Boots!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

UT/Test is also the shortest match on the card so its kept to the bare minimum. Here are the star ratings for SummerSlam 2002.

Angle/Mysterio: 4.75
Flair/Jericho: 4
Edge/Guerrero: 4.5
UnAmericans/BookDust: 3.75
RVD/Benoit: 4.25
UT/Test: 2
HBK/HHH: 4.75
Lesnar/Rock: 4

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

wow. thats got to be one of Takers' worst rated matches, right?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

omgomgomg posted:

I'd imagine that'd be Taker vs Giant Gonzales.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Taker's awesome but he's been in a lot of poo poo matches and poo poo feuds. Bundy, Kamala, GOnzales, fake Undertaker...

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

His masterpiece against Big Boss Man at XV, aka "Hey, I Guess Hell In A Cell Can Be Boring As poo poo"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Although it had the awesome visual of the Brood swooping down to hang Bossman.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Commissar Ken posted:

I'd imagine that'd be Taker vs Giant Gonzales.
That's actually in a three-way tie for his third worst match, according to Meltzer. The worst is Brothers of Destruction vs. Kronik at Unforgiven 2001 (-**).

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

omgomgomg posted:

Taker v Brock, WM 30

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
'Taker needs to be carried by an awesome wrestler to have a good match

bartok
May 10, 2006

What are considered the best traditional Survivor Series matches?

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
I'm really fond of the Team Austin vs Team Bischoff match from 2003.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Quoting this for posterity because you called Jeff Hardy a great wrestler.

Also, Undertaker vs Undertaker was awesome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I'm glad you agree that Batista is an awesome wrestler.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I remember seeing a really funny quote, but I don't remember who said it or who it was about. It went something like "His only achievement in wrestling was managing to have a bad match with Jushin Liger"

Anyone?

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Missy Hyatt said that about Mike Graham in a roast for Kayfabe Commentaries.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

titties posted:

Quoting this for posterity because you called Jeff Hardy a great wrestler.

Also, Undertaker vs Undertaker was awesome.

He sold that match. It was all Jeff. In the context of ladder matches, yeah, Jeff is pretty great 'cause he's never had a bad one.

Batista was also good in his first run. I don't remember the match though

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThePariah posted:

Missy Hyatt said that about Mike Graham in a roast for Kayfabe Commentaries.

It's not even that impressive! I could have a bad match with Liger!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

That's actually in a three-way tie for his third worst match, according to Meltzer. The worst is Brothers of Destruction vs. Kronik at Unforgiven 2001 (-**).

People don't realize just how many awful, awful matches 'Taker has had, largely due to the WWF strategy of "throw monsters at him and he'll look awesome when he beats them." Which, often, he did, but Christ, those matches could get ugly.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

tzirean posted:

People don't realize just how many awful, awful matches 'Taker has had, largely due to the WWF strategy of "throw monsters at him and he'll look awesome when he beats them." Which, often, he did, but Christ, those matches could get ugly.

The worst monster was Hogan in 2002.

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW
At which event, exactly, did Grunge leg drop New Jack through a press table?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Jason Funk posted:

At which event, exactly, did Grunge leg drop New Jack through a press table?

Wrong thread. You want the "Weezer Lyrics That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bartok posted:

What are considered the best traditional Survivor Series matches?

I really enjoyed the Alliance vs. WWF match from 2001, but the lead up to it was pretty bad. Having everything on the line gave it a sense of drama, and Shane being the best sneaky cheap-shot heel he could be was great. It got ****1/2 from Meltzer, but he's known to like tag matches so that might be half a point inflated from its actual quality. Still good though.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Real quick aside on the Wrestling Shirts discussion: I bought a yellow Big Boss Man/Akeem Twin Towers "Never Forget" t-shirt as recommended by this very forum, and I trot it out every 9-11.

I have managed to have 5 random passersby compliment me on the shirt since purchasing it in 2011, and I have also completely infuriated one coworker to the point of reporting me to HR for it.

It's my favorite shirt.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Real quick aside on the Wrestling Shirts discussion: I bought a yellow Big Boss Man/Akeem Twin Towers "Never Forget" t-shirt as recommended by this very forum, and I trot it out every 9-11.

I have managed to have 5 random passersby compliment me on the shirt since purchasing it in 2011, and I have also completely infuriated one coworker to the point of reporting me to HR for it.

It's my favorite shirt.

What was in the report to HR? "Offending clothing" or something?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Complaint: Mega Powers ruleZ! Bossman sux!!!2!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

When did Vince start using "No Chance" as his theme?

Watching KOTR '98 for the first time in eons and he doesn't have a theme yet. I'm pretty sure he was using it by the end of the year.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Thauros posted:

When did Vince start using "No Chance" as his theme?

Watching KOTR '98 for the first time in eons and he doesn't have a theme yet. I'm pretty sure he was using it by the end of the year.

"No Chance in Hell" was originally the theme for the '98 Survivor Series, so it was some time after that.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Diabolik900 posted:

"No Chance in Hell" was originally the theme for the '98 Survivor Series, so it was some time after that.

The '98 Survivor Series was THE DEADLY GAME. No Chance In Hell was the tagline and theme for the craptastic '99 Royal Rumble (because Austin had no chance to win it). It became the Corporation's theme not long after, and Vince kept it after the Corporation disbanded.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 15, 2014

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

omgomgomg posted:

2 stars means average, nothing special. Just a match.

Taker had a load of poo poo and bad matches.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Daniel Bryan posted:

The '98 Survivor Series was THE DEADLY GAME. No Chance In Hell was the tagline and theme for the craptastic '99 Royal Rumble (because Austin had no chance to win it). It became the Corporation's theme not long after, and Vince kept it after the Corporation disbanded.

It was definitely the Corporation's theme before the '99 Rumble, becuase I remember the mini DX vs. Corporation Rumble on a January Raw and all the Corporation wrestlers used the theme for it.

http://prowrestling.wikia.com/wiki/January_11,_1999_Monday_Night_RAW_results

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Thauros posted:

It was definitely the Corporation's theme before the '99 Rumble, becuase I remember the mini DX vs. Corporation Rumble on a January Raw and all the Corporation wrestlers used the theme for it.

http://prowrestling.wikia.com/wiki/January_11,_1999_Monday_Night_RAW_results

Yep, it was used to promote the '99 Rumble. The whole premise for that Rumble was "Austin has no chance in hell of winning it." Up until they were promoting the Rumble, it was not their theme.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

It's my favorite shirt.

Where do you work where a wrestling shirt is both appropriate and inappropriate at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Where do you work where a wrestling shirt is both appropriate and inappropriate at the same time?

Titan Towers, probably.