Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yukiko becomes hilariously, retardedly strong when she gets her P4G unique fire spell.

Goddamn girl. Just god drat.

She also gets Spell Master from the bike dates. Poor Teddie is completely outclassed. Kind weird though how the girls get such amazing rank 11 skills and the guys get awful ones. Yosuke's got the best of the three but how does mediarama+masukukaja compare to poo poo like full party Heat Riser and complete damage nullification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not a big fan of chie's new voice myself even though Erin Fitzgerald is a good VA. The voice isn't as unique and it's her standard tomboy voice she uses for some if her characters. As inconsistent as the quality of Chie's OG VA is when it's really good, it's really good.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!
Naoto ended up being my full-stop essential member after the Golden bike trips gave her every offensive magic element in the game.

I tested it, it is entirely possible to just take her and become unstoppable throughout the final stages of the game (with MC functioning as healer on the side, obviously).

This may become more or less impossible in Vanilla since all she can do there is drain all her SP in 10 fights but win instantly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Manatee Cannon posted:

She also gets Spell Master from the bike dates. Poor Teddie is completely outclassed. Kind weird though how the girls get such amazing rank 11 skills and the guys get awful ones. Yosuke's got the best of the three but how does mediarama+masukukaja compare to poo poo like full party Heat Riser and complete damage nullification?
For one thing, you can use Youthful Wind more than once per battle.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Yukiko becomes hilariously, retardedly strong when she gets her P4G unique fire spell.

Goddamn girl. Just god drat.

And if you take her on 5 bike rides she gets fuckin' Mind Charge on top of that.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

UberJumper posted:

I just listened to a clip from Chie's voice actor... :stonklol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtD6xGD9RII

:smithicide:

It took me a lot of getting used to, especially since she really overdoes her lines in the beginning of the game. but I ended up enjoying her portrayal.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Prozach posted:

But yeah, opinions naturally vary on all of the characters but Kanji is pretty unanimously adored.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

BeanBandit posted:

It took me a lot of getting used to, especially since she really overdoes her lines in the beginning of the game. but I ended up enjoying her portrayal.

It was a slow transition for me. Arena really threw me off, but everybody's really exaggerated in Arena's fights anyway. Then Golden slowly won me over to the new voice.

Vanilla Chie's "ahahahaha" laugh.... :smugjones:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Never forget

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAefGu7EIOk

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

UberJumper posted:

I don't get, and probably never will get, this reaction. :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

For one thing, you can use Youthful Wind more than once per battle.

You can use Dragon Hustle three or four times with the Chakra Ring and Shield of Justice twice without. Nobody else needs it and you get it before January so there's really no point in time where Youthful Wind is actually useful.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

UberJumper posted:

How about this clip, from the new skiing scene near the end of the game? There aren't any huge plot spoilers or anything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Really Pants posted:

How about this clip, from the new skiing scene near the end of the game? There aren't any huge plot spoilers or anything.

I can't recommend viewing this honestly. That whole gloriously stupid (:allears:) segment is best encountered blind.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
both old chie and new chie are good

new teddie though...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
New Teddie is not Dave Wittenburg and I am very mad about that, but Dave is actually getting a paycheck.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gonna have to disagree on old Chie. New Teddie's about on par with old Teddie so it's more a matter of which you heard first, but old Chie is for real not a good voice actress.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No she's good, she wavers in and out of being the best and worst actor in the game though so it constitutes a pretty inconsistent performance. I dunno if the voice actress was very familiar with voice acting or not, but when it's good it's very obviously good.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can use Dragon Hustle three or four times with the Chakra Ring and Shield of Justice twice without. Nobody else needs it and you get it before January so there's really no point in time where Youthful Wind is actually useful.

Some days I really wished there was PvP in P4G. For one thing, all this optimization talk might actually be useful beyond gimmicky runs, and imagine countering someone's Power Charged Yoshitsune with a surprise Tetrakarn. :allears:

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

both old chie and new chie are good

new teddie though...

...the best.

I know this is crazy, but I thought original Teddie was a little too dry in places. Teddie should be constantly full of WAY too much energy, and Sam Riegel nails it.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Maybe it's just being exposed to it first, but I love new Chie and can't really stand old Chie. I listened to her through the endurance run and it just sounded so off. New Chie can be a little high pitched but her voice fits the character and she's actually really good at it most of the time.

EDIT: I think old Teddie and new Teddie are both great, if you told me to blind test them I probably couldn't tell you the difference.

Strange Quark posted:

Some days I really wished there was PvP in P4G. For one thing, all this optimization talk might actually be useful beyond gimmicky runs, and imagine countering someone's Power Charged Yoshitsune with a surprise Tetrakarn. :allears:

Yoshitsune will still shrug it off, Null Physical!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Old Chie is best because she never made me want to turn the volume off when she talked. New Chie is way too pitchy and just generally annoying through most of the game. Old Chie sounded a little awkward, but sincere.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I probably never would have known Teddie had a new voice actor if I hadn't been told.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nessa posted:

Old Chie is best because she never made me want to turn the volume off when she talked. New Chie is way too pitchy and just generally annoying through most of the game. Old Chie sounded a little awkward, but sincere.

She was barely able to express emotion 90% of the time.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

I probably never would have known Teddie had a new voice actor if I hadn't been told.

Same here. I didn't dislike him, but I never really loved Teddie as a character, so I never paid much attention to his voice actor.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can tell, but I've watched so much dubbed stuff that's only to be expected I would know what all the different VAs sound like. Riegel doesn't do serious scenes as well with Teddie as Wittenburg does and I just don't like Teddie always being filled with energy. He's gotta have some points where he can speak calmly or else he just becomes annoying like every other mascot character. Rooney compared to Fitzgerald is staggeringly different because one side is an actual new kind of voice for character archetypes like Chie's which is actually a very good way to handle it and on the other side is a more consistent, but generic performance.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Nessa posted:

One of my favorite lines in the game (BIG spoilers, seriously do NOT mouse over if you haven't finished 4) (and it's only heard in a bad ending path) is Chie saying "We're not going to sit back and watch while our friend becomes a murderer, you moron!" New Chie saying that line about a million times better cinches the whole thing for me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

arisu posted:

Yoshitsune will still shrug it off, Null Physical!

I suppose a hit all skill reflected wouldn't hit everyone in the party, but there isn't any way to test this in-game, is there?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Both players have perfect personas that null everything with straight 99s in everything and it just comes down to who gets the first turn to start the Morning Star spam. Except both players also have Salvation and over 400 MP and :suicide:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The problem with the Lovers romance check (and the Drama club) is they needed a point between "we are now super in love and stuff" and "I am a jerk who would desert a broken desperate woman". Both could have benefited from a option C of reassuring head pats and there theres.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Or you could just not read into it that way and stop caring about it since they clearly designed that to be the lovers choice. It's really not a big deal and you could solve the whole problem by not caring about that character. Sure you can think of yourself as a monster, but she's not going to die or something if you don't hug her. Everything will be fine one way or another.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Lovers romance check can be poorly handled without it being The Worst Thing ever.

I think we're talking past each other when we fundamentally agree due to hyperbole on both sides :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I think it's just a cultural disconnect; apparently, hugging someone is a much bigger deal in Japan than it is in the West.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Strange Quark posted:

I suppose a hit all skill reflected wouldn't hit everyone in the party, but there isn't any way to test this in-game, is there?

Sure there is. I've had Hassou Tobi countered many times, it only hits the MC and for 0.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I think it's just a cultural disconnect; apparently, hugging someone is a much bigger deal in Japan than it is in the West.

Probably something that should have been handled via localizers. It's not the end of the world, just a kludgy scene.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's definitely a cultural disconnect as public displays of affection like hugging and holding hands are something only lovers do.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah neither one ever really affected me really because in the one case you still get the crazy support powers even if you are a jerk and in the other as mentioned you are not going to get to that day in the drama room and not go ahead and date her because there is no real reason to do it otherwise.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Danbri posted:

...the best.

I know this is crazy, but I thought original Teddie was a little too dry in places. Teddie should be constantly full of WAY too much energy, and Sam Riegel nails it.

On the other hand, Dave Wittenberg's Shadow Teddie was WAY better. He sounded so sinister compared to Reigel who basically just did a super deep voice.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Really Pants posted:

I checked out a few other spoiler free comparisions and Chie's new voice is really really high pitched, and it sounds off to me. I am pretty sure Chie and the investigation team supposed to be around 16-17 years old (i don't want to look at the wiki, because i am scared of spoiling something). In that clip just from the little bits i checked, she sounds like she is ~12 and isn't taking anything seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
You really get used to the new voice and there are parts where she's way more reserved, so I wouldn't write it off just yet.

• Locked thread