Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I think Bell was working with the Observers leading to a delay of the plan.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh that's right. Although isn't this in the same continuity as when he tried to erase the universe?

It should be. Bell escaped when Olivia, Peter, and Walter messed up his new universe plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Invaders from the future are the sort of thing to make you team up with your old enemies.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Is Fringe still cool, guys?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Writer Cath posted:

Is Fringe still cool, guys?

Do Zeppelins still fly in universe B?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Part of the reason I like Fringe is because, like Buffy, it's kind of like a live-action superhero comic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SpookyLizard posted:

Invaders from the future are the sort of thing to make you team up with your old enemies.
I think erasing all of existence is a reason not to trust him.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't remember them ever explaining why Bell was suddenly there in amber.

I don't remember what the explanation actually was but I do remember that his entire subplot for the season happened off-screen and was then awkwardly recounted by all the main cast just standing around in the lab.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Well, that's the final episode done and dusted. I'm not even going to think about the multitude of paradoxes and stuff the plan there would've created, and instead, I'm just going to say that that was fun. Kinda disappointed the team didn't go a little more balls-out with the science: if they knew that they'd essentially be remaking history, would it not have made sense to fire Peter up with the Observer tech again? Anything to give them an edge, I would've thought. Maybe offer some of the rebels the opportunity to go porcupine man as well.

Best moment of the episode though? Gene. That, and the thread title. Very cool, indeed, Walter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah the lack of follow up on the 'Peter turning into an observer' thing was odd. A lot of threads on that show got dropped very fast. They never really continued the story arc they seemed to be setting up for the more human version of the Shapeshifters after they did the universe reset.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Having thought about it more, I think my main disappointment in the finale was that it didn't feel like the odds were desperate enough. We were being told that this was the final battle against the Observers, but it never really felt like it. I was entertained, but I was never really on the edge of my seat. I've really spent more time thinking 'wouldn't it be cool if'. It was a good episode, but it didn't hit the buttons I wanted. Maybe that's more a fault with me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the lack of follow up on the 'Peter turning into an observer' thing was odd. A lot of threads on that show got dropped very fast. They never really continued the story arc they seemed to be setting up for the more human version of the Shapeshifters after they did the universe reset.

And when they did try and explain them, it was usually along the lines of 'oh yeah, this was a thing that we did, remember?' The William Bell thing springs to mind - the way they just casually assume he'd sold them out to the Observers bugged me. There was no fallout from that, no sign that he'd actually done anything. Just 'yeah, that guy's a dick, let's steal his hand' and on to the next plotline.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And when they did try and explain them, it was usually along the lines of 'oh yeah, this was a thing that we did, remember?' The William Bell thing springs to mind - the way they just casually assume he'd sold them out to the Observers bugged me. There was no fallout from that, no sign that he'd actually done anything. Just 'yeah, that guy's a dick, let's steal his hand' and on to the next plotline.

The knew that he betrayed them, and thats why they ambered themselves. Observers where closing in on them, and it was due to Bell.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was pretty funny that they went to the trouble to humanize shapeshifters before having Peter go on his mass-killing spree of them that went nowhere.

But nothing is going to top "this is the man who kills me" when it comes to dropped plotlines.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, is insane Bell still out there in the fixed timeline at the end? Without the observers he never would have been ambered.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

^^ Yes

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It was pretty funny that they went to the trouble to humanize shapeshifters before having Peter go on his mass-killing spree of them that went nowhere.

But nothing is going to top "this is the man who kills me" when it comes to dropped plotlines.

They did sort of have that answered. Bell signs his name with an X, so it was Bell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's dumb if true, since that whole episode took place before the universe reset and she gets shot by Bell in the new reality.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's dumb if true, since that whole episode took place before the universe reset and she gets shot by Bell in the new reality.

Cortexiphan is a hell of a drug.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My impression of season five was that it was conceived as 22 episodes with a time skip in the middle, but when they only got a half season they went with the second half and filled in plots from what would have been the first in flashbacks.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm working my way through the series, and I just finished White Tulip. God, I've never cried so hard at a TV show.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Capsaicin posted:

I'm working my way through the series, and I just finished White Tulip. God, I've never cried so hard at a TV show.

Fringe (Walter, specifically) got me crying I think three times and tearing up countless times.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
So uh, season 3...alternate universe Astrid is autistic, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

Yes

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Capsaicin posted:

Apparently, Jasika Nicole based her portrayal on her real-life sister, so yeah, she is.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

There's the grandfather of all dropped plotlines: Agent Jessup

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Thank god it was, though. It was shaping up to be REALLY boring and lame. But yeah it never should have been there in the first place.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

"We're introducing her to suggest a possible religious aspect to The Pattern. Because we've temporarily forgotten this is a sci-fi show and not a poor man's Millennium."

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
I just marathoned this show over the course of a month or two from start to finish. It was a fun show when it was a pseudo-X-Files, with weekly mysteries wrapped around a smaller meta-plot. As it got towards the end I almost completely lost interest but I have a hard time dropping a show I have committed to so I saw it through. The ending left more holes than I care to get into. It was probably one of the worst TV show endings I have ever seen.

That being said a majority of the seasons were really good, but when they started focussing solely on the meta-plot is when it got boring for me. It did fill my X-file want pretty good. I always hated Olivia. Astrid and Walter ruled. Peter was ok. Gene was the best character of the show. September was cool.

Fringe: "Because its cool (before the last couple seasons)!"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I just marathoned this show over the course of a month or two from start to finish. It was a fun show when it was a pseudo-X-Files, with weekly mysteries wrapped around a smaller meta-plot. As it got towards the end I almost completely lost interest but I have a hard time dropping a show I have committed to so I saw it through. The ending left more holes than I care to get into. It was probably one of the worst TV show endings I have ever seen.

That being said a majority of the seasons were really good, but when they started focussing solely on the meta-plot is when it got boring for me. It did fill my X-file want pretty good. I always hated Olivia. Astrid and Walter ruled. Peter was ok. Gene was the best character of the show. September was cool.

Fringe: "Because its cool (before the last couple seasons)!"

I didn't think the ending was that bad but it still slays me that Olivia goes Super Saiyan and drains the power out of the entire city to just kind of shove a car a few feet and smash a dude.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I didn't think the ending was that bad but it still slays me that Olivia goes Super Saiyan and drains the power out of the entire city to just kind of shove a car a few feet and smash a dude.

Yeah that, like the guys can grab bullets out of the air but nope, a slow sliding van totally kills him.

Furthermore I hated Olivia's hypocrisy. "No peter, you can't use observer tech, its too dangerous, we don't know what could happen. However I will now shoot my brain full of more cortexiphan than ever tried before which could very likely kill me."

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Is it wrong that I found Bell-Possessed Olivia more attractive than alternate Olivia

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rough Lobster posted:

Is it wrong that I found Bell-Possessed Olivia more attractive than alternate Olivia

It's the voice, man. It's all the voice.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Seriously, I was expecting an almighty bolt of lightning, smashing down like the fist of God Himself or something. It's like I said, the writers wanted us to believe this was for all the marbles, but at the end of the day, I didn't buy it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Fringe finale also makes the mistake of suggesting a more awesome narrative than the show itself, a crime shared by the final episode of Lost. Who wouldn't want a season of Walter's adventures in the future with a bald, mute child?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The last season is such a tease on so many levels. All I want is to see more wepaonized fringe events used for the good of mankind.

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!

Rough Lobster posted:

Not if its okay that I found alternate Olivia about a thousand times hotter than blonde Olivia. Seriously, that woman does not look good in a ponytail.

I also finished the series, a few days ago...and kind of really hate the ending, the more I think about it, as well. I think I liked crazy Spock on a boat as the ending, better, even.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ganthony posted:

I also finished the series, a few days ago...and kind of really hate the ending, the more I think about it, as well. I think I liked crazy Spock on a boat as the ending, better, even.

Really?? What didn't you like about it?

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
A lot of what has already been mentioned. I know it had a piss-poor budget...but their final set-piece was shooting randomly into fog, and an entire city going dark for a car smash? Meh. I think there were some nice character scenes, especially the Peter/Walter and Walter/Astrid moments.

Alot of it just comes down to personal preference, obviously. I don't like big reset buttons that completely erase a season's worth of growth for everyone but one character. I was irritated with Pacey getting erased from the timeline, earlier in the series, as well.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ganthony posted:

A lot of what has already been mentioned. I know it had a piss-poor budget...but their final set-piece was shooting randomly into fog, and an entire city going dark for a car smash? Meh. I think there were some nice character scenes, especially the Peter/Walter and Walter/Astrid moments.

Alot of it just comes down to personal preference, obviously. I don't like big reset buttons that completely erase a season's worth of growth for everyone but one character. I was irritated with Pacey getting erased from the timeline, earlier in the series, as well.

On the other hand, they didn't undo the universe changes after Peter's erasure from the timeline. 'Our' timeline, as we knew it, officially ceased to exist at the end of season 3, which was actually pretty ballsy.

Thinking about it, did they ever really explain why Walter was considered an anomaly at the end of the season? That seemed to just come out of nowhere.

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
If they explained it, I zoned out during some technobabble. I am sure they tried, but it didn't really sink in.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Anyone else think Warehouse 13 is basically a campy, budget version of Fringe? It ends next week, I've been watching through it and it really strikes me as being very Fringe-esque. It even has the same kind of awful product placement for cars, but on the plus side they actually re-use some of the cool poo poo they find pretty often. It can be a bit rubbish sometimes, but I'm enjoying it on the whole.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tempo 119 posted:

Anyone else think Warehouse 13 is basically a campy, budget version of Fringe? It ends next week, I've been watching through it and it really strikes me as being very Fringe-esque. It even has the same kind of awful product placement for cars, but on the plus side they actually re-use some of the cool poo poo they find pretty often. It can be a bit rubbish sometimes, but I'm enjoying it on the whole.

No, that'd be Eureka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Eureka's good too but I never got any Fringe from it beyond the pseudoscience angle.

W13 has a dour lady with a photographic memory, a guy who's tough but actually kind of a sap, a grumpy old man with a shady past and a techo-genius from a mental institution (yeah Walter's such a good character they had to split him between two actors). They form a ragtag secret agent team and fight supernatural crimes. Now check out this sweet car!

• Locked thread