Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

There's no way that they'll be neither a fighter nor a barbarian as companions, surely? You need someone in the melee defender archetype, unless paladins can fully perform that role.

Edit: Though I guess paladin definitely fits melee defender better than a barbarian does.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There will be a fighter companion. In PoE there is no better substitute for the character who holds the line. It's difficult to get past them and even if you plant them in a hallway and don't pay much attention, they can take a lot of abuse. With their active use abilities, they die very hard and can shield their allies well.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I hope the Bleak Walkers aren't, for lack of a better term, edgy jackasses who take pleasure in violence for its own sake, but are more in favor of using brutal means to end a war quickly to prevent further suffering.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
If this was Bioware, I'd be concerned about the Bleak Walks being edgy jackasses. It's Obsidian though so eh, it'll be fine.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

SunAndSpring posted:

I hope the Bleak Walkers aren't, for lack of a better term, edgy jackasses who take pleasure in violence for its own sake, but are more in favor of using brutal means to end a war quickly to prevent further suffering.

Based on the description, they sound more like a mercenary outfit than a permanent part of any given noble's army. More business than pleasure.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Airfoil posted:

Based on the description, they sound more like a mercenary outfit than a permanent part of any given noble's army. More business than pleasure.

Doesn't make sense. They're a Paladin Order, so by nature it's fundamentally ideological for them. It's more like the Teutonic Knights, I think: They're big enough to be a military order of note, but not so big that they can just kick down the door and enter into a conflict without one of the sides inviting them.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The william t sherman comparison is the most accurate I think. Prolonged violence means high casulities, therefore if you burn down the houses of the dumbshits who started it and end the war you save more lives in the long run.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Captain Oblivious posted:

Doesn't make sense. They're a Paladin Order, so by nature it's fundamentally ideological for them. It's more like the Teutonic Knights, I think: They're big enough to be a military order of note, but not so big that they can just kick down the door and enter into a conflict without one of the sides inviting them.

I'm no expert on the Teutonic Knights, but I seem to recall the question of their loyalties was a fundamental problem. Did they serve the church, or individual rulers? And I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they often worked for money.

The description of the Walkers implies they place themselves under control of individual rulers at least part of the time. Under what circumstances exactly, we don't yet know.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Airfoil posted:

I'm no expert on the Teutonic Knights, but I seem to recall the question of their loyalties was a fundamental problem. Did they serve the church, or individual rulers? And I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they often worked for money.

The description of the Walkers implies they place themselves under control of individual rulers at least part of the time. Under what circumstances exactly, we don't yet know.

The Teutonic Knights served themselves. They unabashedly, nakedly sought to amass political power under themselves in the Blatics til they got poo poo on by Poland. I am not comparing them to the Bleak Walkers in function, only in capabilities.

This:

Airfoil posted:

Is how I read the Bleak Walkers. Soul power is a REAL THING in this world unlike ours so Paladins being ideologically motivated isn't really optional. The Sherman comparison makes the most sense for their stated goals. End the conflict quickly and efficiently. Break not just the WILL of the enemy to go on, but their ABILITY to go on. Be merciless, demand unconditional surrender, destroy anything of economic or logistical value.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

They could be really, really ideological mercenaries.

Or, to put it another way, they could use the business strategy of mercenaries to maintain their ideological order.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Bleak Walkers' behavior generally reinforces cruelty and brutality because the quickest resolution is one in which the Bleak Walkers' arrival is announced and a surrender immediately follows. To ensure that people believe that no mercy will ever be given by Bleak Walkers, they avoid any dealings where they could be seen as merciful given the right circumstances. For the Bleak Walkers, there are no right circumstances. If the bell has been rung, it won't be un-rung. If you wanted mercy before, you should have asked for it. Now it's too late.

Bleak Walkers aren't sadists (at least, not as a rule), and while they are effectively mercenaries, the control that they allow their employers to exert is fairly limited. Much like guns, Bleak Walkers should only be pointed at things you don't mind being completely destroyed.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There is a less gnarly group of mercenary paladins called the Goldpact Knights. They are believers in the idea that payment/gold is a solemn bond that must be upheld at all costs. They are the most "professional" and least morally-concerned paladin order players can select.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sweet. Not only can I be an landsknect, I can be a holy landsknect. Quit snoozin start hustlin AMEN.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I am so torn between being a Ranger and Chanter at this point, and this update only made it more difficult.

I think its going to come down to some of the mechanics of how chants work and if they let us have weird animal companions. If I can have permaskeletons, or other summons, Chanter for sure. If I can have a giant bat or lizard Ranger for sure.

Stop making too many classes appeal to me Obsidian. Its not nice. :(

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

rope kid posted:

There is a less gnarly group of mercenary paladins called the Goldpact Knights. They are believers in the idea that payment/gold is a solemn bond that must be upheld at all costs. They are the most "professional" and least morally-concerned paladin order players can select.

Whisper more sweet nothings of paladin orders in my ear forever, Mr. Sawyer.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rope kid posted:

Now I really wish I had had the money to buy the create-an-item option, because that sounds exactly like the group who would keep the item I had in mind.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Sweetgrass posted:

Those chanter spell names own bones, god drat.

I want to second this. Rope kid, whoever made those spell/song names, please give them a pat on the back and tell them a bunch ofat least two nerds on the internet really like it.

Bladesofskrm
Apr 30, 2014
This role-playing game's teaser is not bad. I'm looking forward to playing it. I've heard that they created the campaign at Kickstarter site last Dec 2013 and they have reached the $1K goal.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bladesofskrm posted:

This role-playing game's teaser is not bad. I'm looking forward to playing it. I've heard that they created the campaign at Kickstarter site last Dec 2013 and they have reached the $1K goal.

Bit more than 1k, mate.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My kickstarter monies are in good hands with this one

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Did Polina do that portrait? It looks more like her style than Kaz's.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, Polina did the aumaua portrait.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Thought so, that's the best work I've seen her do on the Project so far :)

By the way, with the spell animations, do you plan on having "effects" to come from the hands of the caster, like in the IE games (which had various colors depending on the "school" of spell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I keep thinking I don't want to do my usual thing and play a Paladin, but the Paladins in this sound so good, and now The Bleak Walkers description too.... I'm gonna be playing a Paladin :shobon:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

rope kid posted:

The Bleak Walkers' behavior generally reinforces cruelty and brutality because the quickest resolution is one in which the Bleak Walkers' arrival is announced and a surrender immediately follows. To ensure that people believe that no mercy will ever be given by Bleak Walkers, they avoid any dealings where they could be seen as merciful given the right circumstances. For the Bleak Walkers, there are no right circumstances. If the bell has been rung, it won't be un-rung. If you wanted mercy before, you should have asked for it. Now it's too late.

Bleak Walkers aren't sadists (at least, not as a rule), and while they are effectively mercenaries, the control that they allow their employers to exert is fairly limited. Much like guns, Bleak Walkers should only be pointed at things you don't mind being completely destroyed.

rope kid posted:

Wow these are great. The BW in particular sound perfect for remaking a ruthless mercenary cleric I used to play in Neverwinter Nights.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I keep thinking I don't want to do my usual thing and play a Paladin, but the Paladins in this sound so good, and now The Bleak Walkers description too.... I'm gonna be playing a Paladin :shobon:

Same here, except with there being a Paladin party member I'm now inclined to try something else for a first-time playthrough, since having two Paladin's in a party seems sort of redundant.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

SoggyBobcat posted:

Same here, except with there being a Paladin party member I'm now inclined to try something else for a first-time playthrough, since having two Paladin's in a party seems sort of redundant.

Which classes don't have party members?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

LogicNinja posted:

Well, Rogue is taken by Eder, Paladin by Pallegina, Priest by Cadegund, Cipher by some unnamed character, and I dunno the rest.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

LogicNinja posted:

Someone on the update page made this list

quote:

Aloth - male wood elf wizard

Cadegund - female meadow human priest

Edér - male meadow human rogue

Forton - male savannah human monk

Pallegina - female godlike ocean human paladin

Sagani - female boreal dwarf ranger

? - male hearth orlan cipher

Kana Rua - ? ? aumaua chanter

We're pretty much guaranteed a fighter companion (I think ropekid said as much), so I guess barbarian and druid will be the odd ones out?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 15, 2014

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

We're not sure, as we now have

Cadegund, Sagani, Eder, Pallegina, Orlan Cipher, Kana Rua as confirmed companions, and also possibly Aloth and Forton (who have not been mentioned since the Kickstarter).

Apparently there will also be a Fighter companion as per rope kid's above post.

Perhaps this means that Liam Esler will be writing one? (the BG2 Romance modder guy)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sensuki posted:

We're not sure, as we now have

Cadegund, Sagani, Eder, Pallegina, Orlan Cipher, Kana Rua as confirmed companions, and also possibly Aloth and Forton (who have not been mentioned since the Kickstarter).

Apparently there will also be a Fighter companion as per rope kid's above post.

Perhaps this means that Liam Esler will be writing one? (the BG2 Romance modder guy)

Nooooooooooooo! :gonk:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Nooooooooooooo! :gonk:

Was that the motherfucker who wrote the Saerileth mod?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

He said he was contributing design and writing to the game on his twitter. I don't know anything about him.

edit: here you go

http://www.liamesler.com/projects/baldurs-gate-ii-mods

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Was that the motherfucker who wrote the Saerileth mod?

No. God no. He apparently did Haer'Dalis and Sarevok romance mods. I am inherently suspicious of anyone involved with romance mods of any kind though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

His mods don't seem particularly notorious, and tbqh the amount of poo poo one goes through to make working WEIDU mods is pretty intense, so having a bevy of them is good for one's resume.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

I'm pretty sure I've used that Banter Pack before.

I take it that Priests no longer grant a passive Accuracy bonus to allies, and the Stamina regen has replaced that?

Drifter posted:

edit: no. I really don't like the echo effect. I'd rather it be a normal voice. It feels so out of place. The fighters don't echo, I'd hope.

They've done it pretty much exactly how the BG and IWD Spell Incantations were done, three words and echoed. That's exactly how I wanted it.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 15, 2014

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lotish posted:

Someone on the update page made this list

We're pretty much guaranteed a fighter companion (I think ropekid said as much), so I guess barbarian and druid will be the odd ones out?
Well, we also know there are only 8 companions. So since a fighter is in, one of those potential companions are out.

Judging by what's confirmed and my gut, I'd guess it's either the monk or the wizard (and if its the wizard, we'd have to replace him with a fighter elf).

And thinking about it more, it's not like they could leave out the druid and the wizard. So... the monk might be out? It'd be a pity, as Forton was a really cool looking guy, but I think he's also in one of the more redundant classes. So I'd guess monk, barbarian, druid, will be the odd ones out if I had to guess now.

Alternately, this Aumaua chanter is not a party member. Who knows.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

We haven't heard a word about Aloth since the Kickstarter. Forton has been mentioned since but not for over a year.

It's possibly by 8 companions they mean "at least 8 companions". For instance Carrie Patel said in her interview with the Codex that she's doing at least one companion, but possibly two. Chris Avellone is doing two as well.

Josh has said he's writing Pallegina, but the way he talks about Eder leads me to believe he's also doing him (that may not however be true since companions are really time consuming). That leaves Eric Fenstermaker who's probably doing at least two, more likely three?.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 15, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Basically seems to be the typical output of a deranged WASP/MRA who thinks seeing more women and not-white people in games will Ruin Everything. The last sentence tells the story:

Pretty much a guarantee he was going to say something like "real men" or "appealing women" or, if he was especially delusional, just plain "white guys."

What is this, tumblr? Get the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Concerning companions, they would probably add more of them in the expansions, so that all classes could be properly represented. Heh expansion, that word sounds so weird in TYOOL 2014 with all of these DLC's everywhere.

• Locked thread