Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaa eeeeeesportsportsports

loving finally, someone does something about it.

If Wong had won over Ortiz, Zeus would have done the backstroke through the winners brackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

iastudent posted:

I don't even remember Cross Assault that well, other than supposedly it was a Bad Thing.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/when-passions-flare-lines-are-crossed-updated/1100-4006/

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

cams posted:

Ideally this leads to an environment where zero accommodations are ever made to brackets ever. poo poo is stupid. I don't give a gently caress if you have to play your roommate first round.

Initial seeding should be a thing, at least by region. It's arguable whether or not skill seeding should exist.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Big ups to Capcom for dealing with this bullshit promptly.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I just love the fact that Associate Director of eSports is an actual job title in this world that we live in.

The bigger blowup is that John SweetJohnnyCage Gallagher - who is one of the two guys who runs ECT - is leaving it to try and work in a position like the one he just got reprimanded by, ie esports manager

John posted:

I found positions called “eSports Manager”, “Player Relations”, “Community Manager”, and others. Things I never once considered I would be able to do, or even existed. Things that, based on their descriptions, I was actually qualified to do. That’s when I decided to get my career in the industry started. I couldn’t wait anymore. I’m 25. It’s time to get a move on.
from http://ecthrowdown.com/farewell-from-sjc/

So this might affect his prospects a bit..

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

A.o.D. posted:

If Wong had won over Ortiz, Zeus would have done the backstroke through the winners brackets.

I disagree actually, LuckyD has beaten him several times now and they would have had to play to get into top 8

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Wow, Capcom actually did something.

Good.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nodoze posted:

I disagree actually, LuckyD has beaten him several times now and they would have had to play to get into top 8

Players can and do steal wins from each other, but Zeus did beat a big name dhalsim to get to Grand Finals. With that said, if he would have lost to Lucky D, it would clearly have been to better play and not because of a 7-3 matchup.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So does Capcom have specific guidelines that decide how players are to be put into brackets? If not, why did those initial brackets even get made. I mean, if you as a TO, obviously have an issue with team mates playing against each other, would it have too much of a pain in the rear end to have the person drawing the brackets never put people from the same team together? A lot of this frustration is because they keep releasing brackets and then changing them it seems. Draw up your brackets the way you want, don't take anyone's input, and then release them. Or, do random brackets and make it publicly viewable.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

iastudent posted:

I don't even remember Cross Assault that well, other than supposedly it was a Bad Thing.

People generally remember it for the sexual harassment thing, but it was also the event where Mike Ross and Jago got exposed.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Arturo's putting on the fight of his life at Next Level this week, and just put down Sanford's Sagat making the match look like rock-paper-scissors. If you're not already watching this each week this is a great time to hop in, Spooky's throwing out years of insight on what he's learned about Dhalsim's play as well. Zeus and Smug waiting in winner's finals as well.

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Art's been working like hell on his Sim.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

It's really cool to see Team PIE start taking over New York. Zeus and Smug are two of the best players around and are great to watch.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I enjoy and root for good players so much more when they play non-top-tier characters. Always like watching Smug play a character I see no one else using.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

HOLD THAT poo poo

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
drat Smug went in on Sanford holy poo poo :stare:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
DOGECOIN ads!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Smug went all out blasting Sanford.

NLBC has gotten so good lately.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

What'd he say? I missed it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

What didn't he say.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

S.J. posted:

What'd he say? I missed it.

He made fun of a hungry man. A shameful Smug.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

No white castle for you

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Yet another blowup, apparently Ricky originally requested the float: http://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner/c/4251000?t=18m30s

HonzoGonzo may act like a retard on twitter but he seems legitimately sick of bracket rigging (a lot of us are), he's being serious on the subject at hand at least. After the Ricky thing, Honzo goes into detail on why floating/re-seeding is a Bad Thing as well as how often there's instances of it in majors.

Anyway, if this is true it doesn't take away any responsibility from ECT TO's, but it probably means Ricky Ortiz dodged a bullet by having LI Joe and SJC take all the blame and deny any involvement.

Also, I love Smug. :allears:

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

apple posted:

I'm not sure it's possible to not love Smug. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MLUjhoXHFg

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

apple posted:

Yet another blowup, apparently Ricky originally requested the float: http://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner/c/4251000?t=18m30s

HonzoGonzo may act like a retard on twitter but he seems legitimately sick of bracket rigging (a lot of us are), he's being serious on the subject at hand at least. After the Ricky thing, Honzo goes into detail on why floating/re-seeding is a Bad Thing as well as how often there's instances of it in majors.

Anyway, if this is true it doesn't take away any responsibility from ECT TO's, but it probably means Ricky Ortiz dodged a bullet by having LI Joe and SJC take all the blame and deny any involvement.

Sp00ky blew it up too, but he refused to name names. He said there were TWO people who know what they did and are letting John(?) take the fall for it which is hosed up.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

apple posted:

When you banish the EG squad to opposite ends of the bracket, you end up with the Rufus Mirror Grand Finals, which makes everyone turn the loving stream off.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

ToastyPotato posted:

Sp00ky blew it up too, but he refused to name names. He said there were TWO people who know what they did and are letting John(?) take the fall for it which is hosed up.

It we match up the stories Ricky and K Brad both knew (since Ricky asked K Brad).

No one said a thing about Justin knowing but if we have 2 EG members knowing about it...

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Hypocrisy posted:

It we match up the stories Ricky and K Brad both knew (since Ricky asked K Brad).

No one said a thing about Justin knowing but if we have 2 EG members knowing about it...

In the youtube upload, it's clarified that it's just some dude called Brad, Honzo mistakenly says KBrad in the video though. Someone should ask the Brad guy for confirmation!

Death Bot posted:

When you banish the EG squad to opposite ends of the bracket, you end up with the Rufus Mirror Grand Finals, which makes everyone turn the loving stream off.

Yeah that's what I was thinking of too. ECT has had a history of floating "for hype matches", but this kind of floating is almost definitely by player request. That, or LI Joe/SJC have the worst definition of hype on Earth.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

apple posted:

In the youtube upload, it's clarified that it's just some dude called Brad, Honzo mistakenly says KBrad in the video though. Someone should ask the Brad guy for confirmation!

I think Brad is their friend Bisonopolis? Bison-something.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Brad would be MrBisonopolis aka Henakis Evil Twin.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

apple posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking of too. ECT has had a history of floating "for hype matches", but this kind of floating is almost definitely by player request. That, or LI Joe/SJC have the worst definition of hype on Earth.

My definition of hype is seeing Zeus and Smug put in work. Last night's stream was excellent.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
Yeah gently caress EG, honestly. They've been doing this for years. John made a bad decision to acquiesce to them, and another one to keep them out of the news (to what, "be the bigger man?).

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Boobs is Fun! posted:

Yeah gently caress EG, honestly. They've been doing this for years. John made a bad decision to acquiesce to them, and another one to keep them out of the news (to what, "be the bigger man?).

Well, if there was a player group to keep good relations with as a TO, it would probably be EG.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Capcom came out on the subject, I wish SRK and Mr. Wizard would do the same. Wiz was pretty quick to say "no collusion or your event won't be a Road to Evo event/won't get SRK coverage." but this poo poo gets to keep happening?

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 15, 2014

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
... and this is why KOFXIII is superior, nobody bothers rigging brackets for a game that's 80% South American, 10% Europe, and Tokido.

j/k this poo poo sucks and I'm sad to see it happen. Why can't we just be friends, FGC? WHY IS IT SO HARD TO JUST PLAY VIDEO GAMES???

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Nativity In Black posted:

Capcom came out on the subject, I wish SRK and Mr. Wizard would do the same. Wiz was pretty quick to say "no collusion or your event won't be a Road to Evo event/won't get SRK coverage." but this poo poo gets to keep happening?

Mr. Wizard is a corrupt rear end in a top hat who wouldn't actually do anything to inconvenience his insular circle of top players or their stream monster fans unless it involved gigantic piles of money.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
^^^Fair enough.

SilentW posted:

... and this is why KOFXIII is superior, nobody bothers rigging brackets for a game that's 80% South American, 10% Europe, and Tokido.

j/k this poo poo sucks and I'm sad to see it happen. Why can't we just be friends, FGC? WHY IS IT SO HARD TO JUST PLAY VIDEO GAMES???

Don't forget Reynald.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Nativity In Black posted:

^^^Fair enough.

Don't forget Reynald.

Isn't he from Mexico? That's South America, right?

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

SilentW posted:

Isn't he from Mexico? That's South America, right?

North America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
Reynald is an american. Maybe you're thinking of Bala?