Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Clear Sky, with a bit of work, could easily provide a similar experience. I never gave it much of a chance but OGSM really made me fall in love with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Do you have a link to that OGSM mod?

I still really don't like Clear Sky but this mod isn't too bad: http://www.moddb.com/downloads/stalker-clear-sky-mod-pack-2012

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Reinstalled SHoC, and it looks gorgeous with Autumn Aurora 2. Is the game significantly harder?

Edit: Haha, just as I post this I get headshotted by one of the bandits that captured Nimble. At least it wasn't from half a kilometer away like in Misery. :v:

Azran fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 13, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I believe this is the most stable version of OGSM for clear sky

http://narod.yandex.ru/disk/65134865001.ad420353706ffb5ee112df2450041a4b/OGSM_CS_1.8CE.exe.html

https://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=BQ4ToALW3s/kCi8v2F%2BYS4WukdG3f2biR/1cvYaoci8%3D

The first link is the main mod, the second is the compilation fix patch which should be installed over it.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 13, 2014

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Jesus wept, Lost Alpha, I want to love you, but your mid game is a nightmare. It all falls apart after the mono base above x16.

Get to the mines, get lost, then beaten and your stuff nicked.
Go back to x16
Go back to the mines. Get lost, again.
Go to Rostok
Go to a building with a bloodsucker and mist which reduces your fps to 20, get lost in building hunting bloodsucker, kill bloodsucker
"Hurrah! I'm going to x14"
Get told you have to go all the way back to the bar, to get a key for x14
Go back to Rostok.
Go to x14
Then, I think, go back to the loving mines.

:argh:

Still great, though.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
The best thing that could happen for Lost Alpha now would be if someone just ripped all the awful story out of it and made it entirely freeplay. The maps are awesome, but that's really all it has going for it.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Horns posted:

The best thing that could happen for Lost Alpha now would be if someone just ripped all the awful story out of it and made it entirely freeplay. The maps are awesome, but that's really all it has going for it.

I don't mind the story, I enjoy the sense of accomplishment (even if artificial) that comes with completing pieces of a storyline. I also appreciate the effort put into the entire project, especially reworking and adding maps. That said, I'm one of those who just stopped playing because of all the pointless bullshit backtracking. It's almost literally a 50/50 balance between gameplay advancement and backtracking, and the only way to improve that balance is by exploring everything everywhere, which gets really boring when you've been checking out things for 20 minutes and not found a single bit of loot or Alife.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I keep getting a crash in the Freedom base when I talk to Max to go assault Skull's Duty squad. OGSE 0692 ENG Fixed

FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression : fatal error
[error]Function : CStringTable::Load
[error]File : E:\stalker\sources\trunk\xr_3da\xrGame\string_table.cpp
[error]Line : 53
[error]Description : <no expression>
[error]Arguments : string table xml file not found ui_st_pda.xml, for language us

stack trace:

Any ideas?

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
Fellow goons, your musical tastes are requested. I'm finishing a weapon mod for clear sky using complete as a base. I'm replacing the annoying propaganda with music. I need some songs, preferably ones that are very Russian/Ukrainian.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

E.Nigma posted:

Fellow goons, your musical tastes are requested. I'm finishing a weapon mod for clear sky using complete as a base. I'm replacing the annoying propaganda with music. I need some songs, preferably ones that are very Russian/Ukrainian.

Lots of Tatu and Red Army Orchestra. Authentic Russian with the side effect of making every person who plays it hate you.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

E.Nigma posted:

Aria's good if you can dig thrash metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuxbBZXthg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy60hctKpT0

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Misery included Get Free by Major Lazer which charted in that area for a while. One of the few decent tracks they included.

It was practically made for Freedom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytIfSuy_mOA

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 15, 2014

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

KINO. You can't forget them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I was pretty surprised when I heard Brothers in Arms playing in Skadovsk.

You really can't forget about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK2lNuiD7gM

Alternatively, stuff from the Metro 2033/Last Light OST. :v:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
I actually think Red Army Choir would clash pretty badly with the STALKER atmosphere. Remember that stalkers are generally the dregs of society out in the Real World, so having classical Russian music with lush orchestral arrangements doesn't quite jive with the personality of the games. I think more popular bands in more popular genres would blend in better. That said, I'm not familiar enough with the eastern European music scene to comment on what specifically should be included, so I'll leave that much up to the thread. The only suggestion I'm willing to make as far as annoying Russian music is Пей пиво! (Drink beer!) by Diskoteka Avariya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_pu-rnwOdI

e: and if you want some late-Soviet rock, you can't go wrong with Viktor Tsoi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E5ecygbvLg

e2:

Missing Name posted:

KINO. You can't forget them.

Dangit, beaten! Well if you want a movie reference, go for Vashe Blagorodie, from the movie White sun of the Desert (note that the video contains spoilers if you've been meaning to see that movie):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQaxLGRCaRE

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 15, 2014

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
All radios should play bandit polka

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012
I started Lost Alpha, I must say the writing and voice-acting in the intro was pretty jarring and amateurish. Is there much more of this later in the game? It's a bit off-putting. TBH I really want to play a version that's more like the book, but I guess that's not really going to happen since it would mostly do away with gun fights and mutants.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

baromodo posted:

I started Lost Alpha, I must say the writing and voice-acting in the intro was pretty jarring and amateurish. Is there much more of this later in the game? It's a bit off-putting.

I was hoping LA just had original Russian VA to begin with. English has always been goofy.

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

baromodo posted:

I started Lost Alpha, I must say the writing and voice-acting in the intro was pretty jarring and amateurish. Is there much more of this later in the game? It's a bit off-putting. TBH I really want to play a version that's more like the book, but I guess that's not really going to happen since it would mostly do away with gun fights and mutants.

It gets worse, it gets much worse. :(

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Is SGM 2.2 supposed to balls to the wall hard because holy poo poo it's difficult.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Monolith. posted:

Is SGM 2.2 supposed to balls to the wall hard because holy poo poo it's difficult.

Yeah, some of the new missions and areas (especially the Dark Valley and Lab X18, gently caress those places hard) are just awful. I recommend you hold off on the mod-added missions and just stick to the vanilla storyline wherever possible until you have the highest tier of everything equipped.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Yeah, some of the new missions and areas (especially the Dark Valley and Lab X18, gently caress those places hard) are just awful. I recommend you hold off on the mod-added missions and just stick to the vanilla storyline wherever possible until you have the highest tier of everything equipped.

I think I'm just going to skip this mod as it's way too hard even on Stalker. 1.7, the Blackbyte Edition from here is much more fun. Either that or just pop on Arsenal Overhaul 2.2 which I find is even better.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

I remember at least one area where the highest tier everything is useless. Overall it shouldn't be too difficult with the exception of Alpha Squads, which IIRC are somehow worse than in 2.1. I know that at one point there were roughly 40 Alpha guys spawned around Yanov Station.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Is Misery 2.1 unplayable or something? I can't run it without it crashing when I look around after starting a new game. Changing class also seems to crash the game. Is there something I'm missing I have to do to make it more stable?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ThePutty posted:

Is Misery 2.1 unplayable or something? I can't run it without it crashing when I look around after starting a new game. Changing class also seems to crash the game. Is there something I'm missing I have to do to make it more stable?

Play a different mod. I can tell you with massive confidence that a good 75% of the patch notes for 2.1 are straight up fabricated. Many claims they have made have turned out to be completely wrong and going on their echo chamber of a forum to point out any issues is like trying to point out the elephant in the room full of people who don't even know what an elephant looks like.

Someone on their forum likened them to the Jonestown of the modding community and it's spot on. Trojanauch in particular is very terrible and entertaining in how much bullshit he spouts to defend the terrible decisions he has made. I imagine their graphic novel project is going to come with complimentary cyanide laced Flavor Aid as a backer reward.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Ddraig posted:

Play a different mod. I can tell you with massive confidence that a good 75% of the patch notes for 2.1 are straight up fabricated. Many claims they have made have turned out to be completely wrong and going on their echo chamber of a forum to point out any issues is like trying to point out the elephant in the room full of people who don't even know what an elephant looks like.

Someone on their forum likened them to the Jonestown of the modding community and it's spot on. Trojanauch in particular is very terrible and entertaining in how much bullshit he spouts to defend the terrible decisions he has made. I imagine their graphic novel project is going to come with complimentary cyanide laced Flavor Aid as a backer reward.

Well, that makes sense considering it's so goddamn unstable. Guess I'll try ZRP out then, since I've never gotten the real ending for SoC.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
So what's the general best method for Lost Alpha lately? Patch + Community mods, or just patch?

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

MadBimber posted:

So what's the general best method for Lost Alpha lately? Patch + Community mods, or just patch?

I would highly recommend at least the latest S3r1ous Bug Fixes community patch with LAMP (Lost Alpha Model Pack, vanilla weapon models replaced with nicer ones ported from Lurk) and the Guider's mod on top of that to cut out some of the tedium of backtracking in the main story. If you don't like the vanilla environment textures, throw in the texture/sound pack.

Mods are here: http://freetexthost.com/q134pzdcl5

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Bimber, you emailed me a while ago about LA and I figure I'd reply here since more people might find this useful. You asked how similar LA is to SoC to mod, and having had a look at the file structure and some of the scripts I'd be hard pressed to find huge differences between the two and at a push would say LA is basically a heavily modded version of SoC 1.0 released as a standalone. Obviously the Dezowave team had access to the original source code so could work on the engine more but in terms of file structure and general resources it would be incredibly easy to port a lot of SoC mods to LA and vice versa. In scripting terms I'm not sure as I haven't gone through them extensively but I'm sure there's additional LUA functionality which will be interesting to explore, but for most people it's very similar. Texture mods and the like should need minimal adaption.

Obviously I haven't actually played it yet because of not having a working machine but looking at the guts of it I can make a few educated assumptions.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

E.Nigma posted:

For freedom: I was thinking of some floyd, or orb, defiantly some dub, perhaps something odd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAI_xDLPGuU or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEBCq64ecTY for ocd trance.

Scientists, they often have computers, and quite oldschool ones. so maybe they emulate 64bit games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rZ4teNugq8&t=2969s or perhaps they get lonely https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFesCIXtL8

I can provide access to Extreme music from Russia, its both A: Extreme & B, from outside the Ukraine, So, I humbly suggest a track or two for the merc base. specifically "TEA MAN WITH TEA GUM - Music For The Kids Without Any." also "THE PODRYVANIEM BOYS - Kalinka Smerti" featuring kalinka music and a dying russian astronaut. Russian noise at its most visceral.

the tracklist
(SUSAN LAWLY SLCD026)

i5067,70 - Behind This
AMBASSADOR 21 - Golod
COMFORTER - Unfriendly Absorption
THE PODRYVANIEM BOYS - Kalinka Smerti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UarqKE5WrrE
VOLGA - Rose
ED.S - Empty Space 7
SAMKA - sschr
PICHISMO - Babelo: Sotonok/Nadsat
ERROR - My Small Boat In The Great Sea Of God
KRYPTOGEN RUNDFUNK - Old Recipe For Modern Society
GINTAS K - Trumpas
TEA MAN WITH TEA GUM - Music For The Kids Without Any
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTn5DU3C664&t=43s Not the above, but similar.
NEIZVESTNOST - Nekromen
VETROPHONIA - Poem Of Orgasm
SAMKA - sskrr

Also, perhaps something for the bandits thats not the bandit camp music but total bandito. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkYFmC1pnX4
Think of an eastern european "Goldie Lookin Chain"

Or this vanilla ice alike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CezP3zDIeWk

staberind fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 16, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I hosed up. I was trying to fix the issue with the binoculars in Arsenal Overhaul 2.2, and ended up changing the lightning setting to Full Dynamic Lighting (DirectX 10) and the game now crashes a couple seconds after starting up. I tried manually changing the setting from 2.5 to 1 in the user.ltx file, and nothing. Erasing it did nothing either. Do I have to do a complete reinstall?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Azran posted:

I hosed up. I was trying to fix the issue with the binoculars in Arsenal Overhaul 2.2, and ended up changing the lightning setting to Full Dynamic Lighting (DirectX 10) and the game now crashes a couple seconds after starting up. I tried manually changing the setting from 2.5 to 1 in the user.ltx file, and nothing. Erasing it did nothing either. Do I have to do a complete reinstall?

Try deleting the shader cache folder. It's either in the COP folder or my documents. It could be that even though you've changed it manually, the cache is still causing crashes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Try deleting the shader cache folder. It's either in the COP folder or my documents. It could be that even though you've changed it manually, the cache is still causing crashes.

There was actually another user.ltx file inside the shaders folder which had a different shader setup. Changed that and now it's working properly. Thanks :)

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Whoever who had the bright idea of splitting up the documents in x16 in OGSE needs to be punched.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Whoever put that Half-life homage/ parody ("Gordon Streeman") and the mission straight after in LA need to be punched. Unless it was GSC, in which case they need to be punched harder.

Seriously, pitch-black room, dizzy/psi effects, a time limit, controllers and those really annoying armed zombies killing you every 2 seconds. What the gently caress were they thinking? Easily the worst STALKER mission, including the "dodge the MG nest" in CS.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Azran posted:

Reinstalled SHoC, and it looks gorgeous with Autumn Aurora 2. Is the game significantly harder?

Edit: Haha, just as I post this I get headshotted by one of the bandits that captured Nimble. At least it wasn't from half a kilometer away like in Misery. :v:

I'm just in the process of reinstalling SoC, and this caught my eye. Is AA2 compatible with SoC Complete, do you happen to know? Also, how variable is the weather in it? All the screenshots are beautiful, but there doesn't seem to be much weather going on in any of them (rain, thunderstorms, or whatever).

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Pipski posted:

I'm just in the process of reinstalling SoC, and this caught my eye. Is AA2 compatible with SoC Complete, do you happen to know? Also, how variable is the weather in it? All the screenshots are beautiful, but there doesn't seem to be much weather going on in any of them (rain, thunderstorms, or whatever).

The nights are incredibly dark, especially if you use Full Dynamic Lighting. Make sure you get the scope changer as well as the default scopes look terrible and are mostly all washed out. The weather goes from clear and sunny to very rainy to incredibly foggy and when its night it gets extremely dark.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/autumn-aurora-compilation-mod/addons/alternative-scopes-for-autumn-aurora-2

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Pipski posted:

I don't know honestly, I stopped using SoC Complete after people told me ZRP was better in every regard. :shobon:

I've not played that much so far, I'm still toying around with Arsenal Overhaul 2.2 in CoP. Man, what an useless answer on my part. :v:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Whoever put that Half-life homage/ parody ("Gordon Streeman") and the mission straight after in LA need to be punched. Unless it was GSC, in which case they need to be punched harder.

Seriously, pitch-black room, dizzy/psi effects, a time limit, controllers and those really annoying armed zombies killing you every 2 seconds. What the gently caress were they thinking? Easily the worst STALKER mission, including the "dodge the MG nest" in CS.

Yeah, it did suck. Luckily the zombies didn't bother me too much. (Pre-patch so maybe I had a fun glitch causing them to ignore me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Monolith. posted:

The nights are incredibly dark, especially if you use Full Dynamic Lighting. Make sure you get the scope changer as well as the default scopes look terrible and are mostly all washed out. The weather goes from clear and sunny to very rainy to incredibly foggy and when its night it gets extremely dark.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/autumn-aurora-compilation-mod/addons/alternative-scopes-for-autumn-aurora-2

Azran posted:

I don't know honestly, I stopped using SoC Complete after people told me ZRP was better in every regard. :shobon:

I've not played that much so far, I'm still toying around with Arsenal Overhaul 2.2 in CoP. Man, what an useless answer on my part. :v:

Nice. I will go the ZRP route too, then. Cheers, guys.