Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

Elukka posted:

Thanks for the advice on the Ka-50. The thing is surprisingly easy to fly; I've never played a real chopper sim before but after reading up on the trim and autopilot a little it's a breeze. I have an easier time with landings than I do with the choppers in Arma.

Now I just gotta figure out the weapons. :v:
I remember the first time I managed to get a vikhir to nail a tank very fun! Off the top of my head you should have these controls within easy reach to make learning the weapon systems easier but if you flew the su25t alot of this is going to look familiar.

-uncage shkval
-slew shkval
-Shkval narrow FOV
-Shkval wide FOV
-Target size increase
-Target size decrease
-reset targeting
-Lock target
-Laser standby switch (optional)
-Cannon arm
-Cannon fire
-Weapon fire (you can mod this so cannon and weapon release use the same key http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=49899)
-Select outer pylons
-Select inner pylons
-Engage/Disengage Helmet mounted sight

Launching a missile is quite simple

1) Master Arm and laser set to "on"
2) Select outer weapons pylon (this is the only pylon the vikhrs atgm can be mounted on thus is always there)
3) Uncage shkval
4) Slew the shkval onto a target
5) Adjust the target bracket size and zoom in if necessary
6) Press "lock target" and should see TA-NY on your tv screen and hud this means the target is tracking and ranged
7) You now have to physicly align the Missile with the target point, The large circle is when the vihkrs is looking and the small circle is where your shkval is targeting. Move the aircraft so that the large circle is looking at the small one and you should see "C" appear on the hud and tv screen, is is a ok for launch cue
8) with the "c" displayed HOLD down the weapon release button until the missile fires
9) watch the fireworks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Vahakyla posted:

Are you talking about the A10C or A10A?

With the coupon, the A10C becomes around 15$.
The A10A is the softcore simulation from the Flaming Cliffs pack and SHOULD NOT be bought separately.

Buy Flaming Cliffs 3 pack for 49$ if you want them all , including some fighters such as updated F15Cand own five planes, or go for the hardcore A10C.

A10C is the clikable, all systems modeled.
A10A from flaming cliffs is keyboard shortcuts, basic functions and weapons modeled.

Flaming Cliffs planes are slowly getting better and also offer the only fighters into the game. They can be great fun, too.

Ask yourself if one amazing plane is what you want or a handful of lukewarms.

I didn't, I bought both.

Thanks, it's real confusing the way everything is listed. I think my plan has been to buy FC3 at some point down the line but since I've got the coupon I planned on picking up an individual module to hold myself over. I don't have pedals so I've figured it's best to stay away from helicopters, so it looks like my best option is to get A10C then?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Teeter posted:

Thanks, it's real confusing the way everything is listed. I think my plan has been to buy FC3 at some point down the line but since I've got the coupon I planned on picking up an individual module to hold myself over. I don't have pedals so I've figured it's best to stay away from helicopters, so it looks like my best option is to get A10C then?

I'm very hesitant to answer this since like mentioned, both are great fun.
You can feel a bit constricted with the A10C since you do not have much else to fly.

Do you have a second monitor? Do you have an Android or iPad tablet?

These are very useable for A10C and could swing the decision tree.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
How is combined arms? Having gotten a taste of it in War Thunder tank beta, the thought of manning a modern tank and being supported by goons in Warthogs is an enticing one. Multiplayer aside, how is the ground game, in general?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

I'll have to play this. I had Black Shark years ago and it was hella cool, and I've got CH gear that I need to use more. Any idea if I can activate the Black Shark in this game via my registration key or something?

If you own the Steam version of black shark you can buy an upgrade key, but blackshark has to be installed for the key to take. Then you just download the BS2 module, drop it into DCS and start. It'll bug you for the key on the switch to the sim. Also, if you have to reinstall anything, blackshark has to be installed.

What I'm saying is install Blackshark anyway.

Vahakyla posted:

The A10A is the softcore simulation from the Flaming Cliffs pack and SHOULD NOT be bought separately.

Yet. They're being upgraded as time allows, but FC3 is still the best route to go now you don't have to source a copy of 'Lock On'.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Okay, here is my spergstation.

Like mentioned, I find it a fitting punishment for me that the only baseball cap for the TIR I could find from the house was the MLP hat from the 5-year old. Wearing that reminds me of my shame all the time and keeps me in line.

Anyway, DCS virtual server exports screens to the right monitor.

Using the iPad allows me to swipe to different parts of the cockpit. I can even use the MFD's on it and overall it feels drat awesome to not touch the mouse at all.

The 32 inch monitor really helps in spotting targets and navigating.

What I am trying to say that is that I am ashamed.
Please be gentle.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Hav posted:

If you own the Steam version of black shark you can buy an upgrade key, but blackshark has to be installed for the key to take. Then you just download the BS2 module, drop it into DCS and start. It'll bug you for the key on the switch to the sim. Also, if you have to reinstall anything, blackshark has to be installed.

EDIT: Snip.

concise fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 21, 2014

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Hav posted:

Yet. They're being upgraded as time allows, but FC3 is still the best route to go now you don't have to source a copy of 'Lock On'.

I had been looking to buy FC3 for years but every time it would go on sale I would remember I'd need to find a copy of the original Lock On for some dumb reason.

Now that you don't need it I've missed every sale that FC3 has been on.

Also thanks for that Ka-50 trimmer stuff, I kind of had the hang of it but I still didn't know explicitly how to handle it. Killing tanks while spinning is not easy :saddowns:.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Heliosicle posted:

I had been looking to buy FC3 for years but every time it would go on sale I would remember I'd need to find a copy of the original Lock On for some dumb reason.

Because PIRACY :supaburn:. Black Shark's DRM was annoying back in the day. It was something like Starforce plus only 2 reinstalls per key or you have to pay a fee, or something like that.

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

Heliosicle posted:

Also thanks for that Ka-50 trimmer stuff, I kind of had the hang of it but I still didn't know explicitly how to handle it. Killing tanks while spinning is not easy :saddowns:.
Something to know about the BS trimmer is that it applies it's hold to both cyclic and rudder pedals, so if you find the thing is just spinning by itself you may have trimmed in more rudder than the autopilot can compensate for. Hit R-CTRL + ENTER to bring up the graphic stick position display and you can visualy see what is trimmed and correct for it.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
What iPad app do you use for the A-10C dash, Vahakyla?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Comma Chameleon posted:

Something to know about the BS trimmer is that it applies it's hold to both cyclic and rudder pedals, so if you find the thing is just spinning by itself you may have trimmed in more rudder than the autopilot can compensate for. Hit R-CTRL + ENTER to bring up the graphic stick position display and you can visualy see what is trimmed and correct for it.

Press Z or X to unchain rudder trim from cyclic trim. If you have an X52, use the programming software to create a New Advanced Command that looks like this:

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"

Jarmak posted:

I have the CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals and can vouch for the excellent build quality. Moved from the Logitech Extreme 3d pro and it was night and day.

Also don't be like me and put off buying it forever because the stick isn't twisty so you think you need to save up enough to get all three at the same time. Throttle has a small thumb-placed joystick which works great for rudder, and if you want to go stick+pedals the stick has a throttle wheel (I'd recommend the stick+throttle if you're only getting two though).

I hope you're serious about that thumb-joystick. My desire not to buy pedals is whats kept me away from CH thus far.

"Hey Tatra nice place you got here, hey whats that under your desk?"
"Not a toy for manchildren thats what its not"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

concise posted:

Just this morning I activated my BS2 upgrade key in Steam without any hassle, downloaded the module, and started flying around. I should note that I already owned BS1 on Steam, and activated the BS2 upgrade years ago.

Me too, still had to go through the process recently when I moved from DCS world to standalone, so you either got lucky or the sim hates me. I don't even know why I said the second, the sim definitely hates me.

Heliosicle posted:

I bought one about six months ago from ubisoft, so yay, go me. In checking again, while ubisoft has a product page, the buy link goes to a dead page; I wonder if DCS did them a deal.

edit:

quote:

"Your desk doesn't have pedals? Is it from the last century or something?"

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Tatrakrad posted:

I hope you're serious about that thumb-joystick. My desire not to buy pedals is whats kept me away from CH thus far.

I've never used my throttle stick as a rudder, but I imagine it would work well enough, with practice.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Shine posted:

How is combined arms? Having gotten a taste of it in War Thunder tank beta, the thought of manning a modern tank and being supported by goons in Warthogs is an enticing one. Multiplayer aside, how is the ground game, in general?

IMO, dont buy it for the ground combat :( Sure its fun, and the tank FCS/Laser lets you bust out shots with fantastic accuracy, but the ground game is still really limited. If you want to be a dedicated FAC then its a good buy. Also, being a Stinger dude vs helicopters is fun as gently caress.

Also, you cant loving tell friendly Ai to land and rearm. So if your SEAD F16's just used their 2 HARM's, there's no "Kk you did your job, RTB and rearm :)" option. There's just "Ok. Loiter and strafe those Zu23 emplacements til you die".

The taxpayers are FURIOUS

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

There is no way to tell when an IR Missile is coming at you, besides eyballing for it.

Oh I know, I've just been trying to find the best tutorial on missile (especially IR) avoidance during dogfights.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tatrakrad posted:

Just say it's for IFR training to be a pilot.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hobbesmaster posted:

Just say it's for IFR training to be a pilot.

Can't rudder pedals also double over as gas/brake pedals for driving sims? Double up on your usage there at least.

So if I pick up the MI-8 module on sale next time it pops up on steam, should I expect it to basically be a fatter, Russian-ier Huey as far as the missions are concerned, or will it actually have a weapons system worth mentioning?

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

DeathSandwich posted:

Can't rudder pedals also double over as gas/brake pedals for driving sims? Double up on your usage there at least.

You could try but that would probably be terrible

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Skwee posted:

You could try but that would probably be terrible

The CH pedals come with little stoppers to lock the slide axis in place so that you can use them like auto pedals. It's serviceable.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The iPad second screen app is 30 dollars? :wtc: Good thing the only plane I own that needs a second screen is the A-10 so I can just use the free version whenever they fix it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Snaxx posted:

What iPad app do you use for the A-10C dash, Vahakyla?

The DCS Virtual A10C Cockpit, here http://bit-shift.com/icontroldcs/index.html

To get it running, you have to satisfy these conditions:

-You need to own A10C, otherwise running the script bricks your DCS World install. Just like it did for those goons who did not own A10C on the last page.

-Download either the 30 dollar full version or the free limited version from App Store. The limited one is darn cool in itself and has MFDs, master caution panels, the top middle panel thingy and some important flight systems such as steering wheel, gear, master and weapon arms and ILS and TACAN.

-Install DCS Virtual Cockpit Server from the same webpage that I linked. {64 BIT!!!!] Even if you do not own a tablet, you can use this software to get your second monitor full of MFDs and CDU's. However REMEMBER IT loving NEEDS A10C OR IT WILL TRASH YOUR INSTALL! BE WARNED!

-Run the DCS Virtual Cockpit Server once before game starts, go to "modify", right click screen space and assign the MFDs to your spots. The smaller in pixel area they are, the faster they run on the tablet with better FPS. If you do not use a tablet, keep them as big as you want. Also ensure that DCS World install directory is correct and HAS THE A10C IN IT GODDAMNIT! After there are done, click "Force Update" and fire up your iPad/android app. If on the same wifi and IF you have iTunes installed on the computer (For the Bonjour link it uses to sync), your iPad will light with a green button and bazoom, you now have your smudgy fingers to use for clicking butan.

The free version of the app does already many things. If you do not own a tablet, the second monitor still helps a lot.
If you do not have a second monitor at all, do not lose faith. On the main configuration page, drag the main screen to be a little bit smaller and leave small MFD's and CDU to the side of the now empty screen space. Or you can leave them on top of your main display, however you want. Some real ninjas configure DCS to use a virtual monitor and then custom assign resolution to move the MFD's to the imaginary screen so that they show up on the app. The app needs these, but they do not need to be visible to the computer.

HTH

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How the hell does the Ka-50 autopilot work? I figured out how to make it show the coordinates of waypoints on the little display and on the HUD but even with flight director on the heading/altitude hold buttons don't work.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Also guys if you listen to Vahakyla I'd totally advise you to back up your game for when it kills you game install. So far his body count is 3.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Leo Showers posted:

Also guys if you listen to Vahakyla I'd totally advise you to back up your game for when it kills you game install. So far his body count is 3.

Actually five as of tonight before I put up that warning of requiring the A10C.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

Actually five as of tonight before I put up that warning of requiring the A10C.

Ace in a day!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Tatrakrad posted:

I waited until I could get all three before I purchased any, but since Amazon wouldn't ship the pedals to an APO address it took an extra week and a half for them to arrrive because I had to route them through a family member in the states.

While I was waiting I decided I just had to try the stick and throttle so I made the mini stick rudder and found it to be far superior rudder control then the twist in my old logitech extreme3d. Its a very different feel so I imagine some people might not like it but for me divorcing the rudder from the pitch/roll controls so that I no longer accidentally applied one while trying to apply the other made a huge difference in the ease of lining up shots in War Thunder (what I was playing mostly at the time).

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Luigi Thirty posted:

How the hell does the Ka-50 autopilot work? I figured out how to make it show the coordinates of waypoints on the little display and on the HUD but even with flight director on the heading/altitude hold buttons don't work.

I believe Flight Director actually limits the effects of the pitch and bank stabilization channels and ignores heading and altitude. Altitude hold mode works in regular flight (i.e. not FD) and Route mode autopilot (waypoint following) so long as the blue button labeled ALT or some such is lit up. When Radar Altitude Hold mode is activated, you should see it lit up on the upper panel. I know its probably lame to suggest, but the KA-50 Flight Manual is the best place to go to find operating instructions for the various systems.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Just spent the past 2 days playing with the SU-25T and I'm really loving this plane. FWIW I'd like to think I'm quite decent with the A-10C for comparison purposes. Even though it's free, it comes with a 6-DOF cockpit and advanced flight model. Performance-wise it easily wipes the floor with the A-10. The Su reaches 400+ knots in level flight with a full fuel and combat load, where the A-10 is lucky to break 300 knots with clean wings. In a hostile environment that means greatly increased survivability.

Its avionics are less fancy than the C hog (but more capable than the A model) but good enough to get the job done. It's capable of more mission profiles including SEAD and deep interdiction. Yeah the hog can plink the odd SA-8 / Zeus / Strela but only the Su can take on KUBs, HAWKs, Patriot and SA-10 sites (and nimble enough to dodge the return fire!)

What I'm saying is everyone should give the T-Frog a chance, it's free after all and you will likely be pleasantly surprised.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 15, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yep. T-Frog hits the right balance between spergin' and fun I think.

Also they're a godsend on SEAD :P

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Its avionics are less fancy than the C hog (but more capable than the A model) but good enough to get the job done. It's capable of more mission profiles including SEAD and deep interdiction. Yeah the hog can plink the odd SA-8 / Zeus / Strela but only the Su can take on KUBs, HAWKs, Patriot and SA-10 sites (and nimble enough to dodge the return fire!)

What I'm saying is everyone should give the T-Frog a chance, it's free after all and you will likely be pleasantly surprised.

The SU-25T owns in a package with A-10s for taking down air defenses. Also, depending on difficulty levels, an F-15 doing a Mach 1.5 pass over air defenses to make them all turn on their radars is pretty funny.

I'm still vaguely bitter that half the SAMs seem rather nerfed.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

The SU-25T owns in a package with A-10s for taking down air defenses. Also, depending on difficulty levels, an F-15 doing a Mach 1.5 pass over air defenses to make them all turn on their radars is pretty funny.

I'm still vaguely bitter that half the SAMs seem rather nerfed.

Mix of Russian AND US planes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EknTPz1vcM

If you arent rolling in blaring this poo poo, then you're not flying right.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Just spent the past 2 days playing with the SU-25T and I'm really loving this plane. FWIW I'd like to think I'm quite decent with the A-10C for comparison purposes. Even though it's free, it comes with a 6-DOF cockpit and advanced flight model. Performance-wise it easily wipes the floor with the A-10. The Su reaches 400+ knots in level flight with a full fuel and combat load, where the A-10 is lucky to break 300 knots with clean wings. In a hostile environment that means greatly increased survivability.

I completely agree, the flight characteristics of the Su-25(T) outclass the A-10A and C in pretty much every aspect. It was only today or yesterday when I flew a ground attack mission with some friends in an Su-25 did I appreciate just how good the Frogfoot is.

I think the stupidest thing about the Thunderbolt is that cannon. It's pretty worthless against armored targets and going in for a gun run is an extremely risky maneuver when there is even a chance of an enemy HMG. Sure it makes a cool sound but :shrug: it's just really a Maverick, Hydra and Mk-82 boat to me and I can carry bombs faster in an Su-25.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Leo Showers posted:

It's pretty worthless against armored targets and going in for a gun run is an extremely risky maneuver when there is even a chance of an enemy HMG.

While you're mostly right, the A-10's gun is still fine against even the T-80s in the game. You have to be accurate and pick your approach well but you can still tear them apart from behind with 30mm loving. It certainly shouldn't be your first option but if you really just need to take out some tanks and it's safe to loiter then it saves going back and getting more Mavericks. The trick to avoiding the return fire is to break before you pass over the target in a direction you already know is clear, and make sure you change direction in both the vertical and horizontal.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm doing the opposite, using my wheel pedals as rudder pedals. Works great. Just takes some getting used to.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

No sooner had I finished setting up my controls for F4 BMS than my USB hub shorted out. I have a suspicion this will cause all my controllers to be renumbered and mess up my DCS, war thunder, and BMS controls.

But the worst part is I can't plug in everything until I get a replacement. Thank god for same day delivery.

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

So if I pick up the MI-8 module on sale next time it pops up on steam, should I expect it to basically be a fatter, Russian-ier Huey as far as the missions are concerned, or will it actually have a weapons system worth mentioning?
No that's pretty much what you get with the MI-8, it's weapons are very fun and cool but not all that effective at anything more than insurgent beatdowns.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Makrond posted:

While you're mostly right, the A-10's gun is still fine against even the T-80s in the game. You have to be accurate and pick your approach well but you can still tear them apart from behind with 30mm loving. It certainly shouldn't be your first option but if you really just need to take out some tanks and it's safe to loiter then it saves going back and getting more Mavericks. The trick to avoiding the return fire is to break before you pass over the target in a direction you already know is clear, and make sure you change direction in both the vertical and horizontal.

As an example of how they do strafing runs irl to avoid fire see this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D0PgPK67jwc

Notice he rolls out of a turn quickly lines up the target, fires and turns away and up.

Edit: there's a ton of video of A-10s from soldiers on YouTube. They love the A-10. Which is why the air force is killing it.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Anybody have tips to make this game run better without killing all the graphics settings, or is this a case of "old engine just runs lovely now, welp"?