Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Brocktoon posted:

Interesting that you chose to quote that part, and not this one, which I think is much more interesting and pertinent.

The whole thing is really well-written and a departure from Dan's usual bullet spray of words after something like this. I honestly grabbed the bit I did just to drive people to read it as I knew it's the bit a lot of people were looking to read anyway.

That said, hopefully it helps a lot of people come to grips with the end of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Cape's sixth season would have sucked.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just think it's funny how after season 2 when all the funding for the show was pulled, you went from these great outdoor shots with crowded sets to just six people sitting in an empty study room shot with an iPhone camera. With the way the shows budget budget and production values were, the cast members could just sit around a table in someone's basement and throw back one lines and basically keep the show going.

Once in a while Joel McHale could look over at Allison Brie smolderingly, and then Pudi could shot a TV reference, and we wouldn't know the difference.

Of course Yvette brown could just sit there slightly off camera because no one has any idea what to do with her character.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
After season 3 I think they switched from a RED One to a Sony F55, it's not like they got cheaper cameras. I think the biggest thing is that they had to cram a bunch of sets onto a tiny soundstage (think how small Abed's apartment is, or how lovely sets like Shirley's house in season 4 were), and they lost talented directors and producers in the Russos that contributed a lot to the look of the first 2.5 seasons.

Plus think about all the writers and cast that have left over the years.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Brocktoon posted:

Interesting that you chose to quote that part, and not this one, which I think is much more interesting and pertinent.

He does know they are doing him a 'favor' right, like, that's how this poo poo works, they have the resources and money and pull with talent and all and then you get access to them if they like what you do.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He does know they are doing him a 'favor' right, like, that's how this poo poo works, they have the resources and money and pull with talent and all and then you get access to them if they like what you do.

He's referring to the fans, not himself.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

1st AD posted:

After season 3 I think they switched from a RED One to a Sony F55, it's not like they got cheaper cameras.

The show looks entirely different after S2. It's weird, typically TV shows get better looking over time, but Community is like a deconstruction of a show.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The show looks entirely different after S2. It's weird, typically TV shows get better looking over time, but Community is like a deconstruction of a show.

It would be pretty interesting to see the show continue to degrade as the budget shrinks and more actors and writers leave. Community Season 10: 8 episodes of Shirley alone in a room with a desk.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The budget shrinking hurt the show, but losing the Russos probably hurt the show's visuals more than anything else.

On any other show their departure might not have mattered, but when every other episode is trying to be some kind of film homage it helps to have really good directors on board. Like the Fincher episode this season looked awful visually and with more capable hands I think it could've looked a lot better.

Looking back, I can't believe they snagged Justin Lin for the original paintball episode. That episode is probably THE defining moment in Community.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Breadallelogram posted:

It would be pretty interesting to see the show continue to degrade as the budget shrinks and more actors and writers leave. Community Season 10: 8 episodes of Shirley alone in a room with a desk.

The desk is voiced by Dan Harmon and Shirley can barely get the occasional c-story.

I agree about the visuals. Season 1 of Community is the best looking sitcom ever. Season 3 and 4 look like a cheap multi-cam show. At least season 5 was an improvement, even if they were still stuck with cramped sets and zero location shoots.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Breadallelogram posted:

Planet of the Apes already did that.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Breadallelogram posted:

That's nice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doc Aquatic posted:

That's nice.

Queue laugh track

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
I really enjoyed this season up until the end, but this show used to feel so zeitgeisty and now it's just nostalgic. I'm sad that it's been canceled and disappointed that the ONE time they didn't give it a series finale, it ends up canceled, leaving me with less closure, but I guess it's OK. I can't imagine the show ever having that excited spirit again, and that's what I think people really loved about it. At least that is what *I* loved about it.

If it gets another season somewhere else, I'll be happy, but I think Harmon is ready to move on and so are the other actors, sadly.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Joel McHale is replacing Craig Fergurson. So you know, if you were still holding out hope for Community, I think this is ganna be eating up most of his time now.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Calico Heart posted:

Joel McHale is replacing Craig Fergurson. So you know, if you were still holding out hope for Community, I think this is ganna be eating up most of his time now.

I wonder if this also kills The Soup or if it'll be taken over by someone else.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Delsaber posted:

I wonder if this also kills The Soup or if it'll be taken over by someone else.

The soup has had other hosts before. Joel is like the third or fourth host.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Calico Heart posted:

I hope that Joel can get along with Geoff Peterson and Secretariat.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Calico Heart posted:

No see, Allison Brie was vodka commercials and doing a supporting part on four or five episodes of Mad Men a year, therefore Community doesn't tie up any of the actors' time. He'll be able to do both.

This is a pretty spectacular fit to me. Craig was one of the best late show hosts, shame he was so short lived. McHale on Late Late is more than enough compensation for another Season 5-level season, for me.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

XboxPants posted:

No see, Allison Brie was vodka commercials and doing a supporting part on four or five episodes of Mad Men a year, therefore Community doesn't tie up any of the actors' time. He'll be able to do both.

I also love the logic that it doesn't tie up anyone's time when one of the core cast specifically left the show this season because it was tying up all of his time.

Plus John Oliver being only an occasional guest star and absent from most of the series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Guy A. Person posted:

I also love the logic that it doesn't tie up anyone's time when one of the core cast specifically left the show this season because it was tying up all of his time.

Plus John Oliver being only an occasional guest star and absent from most of the series.

Oh come on its not like being on the late show means he will be writing and coordinating a show 5 days a weeks. You have plenty of time to do other acting jobs. Its not like you need to see your family or do anything else.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Holy poo poo the latest Harmontown is hilarious. I actually want to take the long way home today.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The real loss here is definitely The Soup, which honestly is probably worse than crushing the small amount of hope that still remains of a possible Season 6. Joel is perfect on that show.

It should also be noted that it's still unofficial, even if it seems pretty obvious that it's gonna happen.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

XboxPants posted:

Days later and you're still fighting the good fight despite being objectively wrong. If nothing else I commend your commitment.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Guy A. Person posted:

The cast also commented a lot on the DVDs about how long their shooting days were. If you're on a sitcom set for 12 to 16 hours at a stretch, it's kind of hard to do much else.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Jummy posted:

Days later and you're still fighting the good fight despite being objectively wrong. If nothing else I commend your commitment.

They obviously had enough time to do some other things. Supporting roles, a movie here and there. But just because it doesn't take up 100% of their time, doesn't it takes up 0% of their time. It's not a black & white scenario here. An actor doing one full-time TV show commitment doesn't really have time to do a second one. Now they have enough time to enter another full-time commitment and big surprise, we're already hearing about McHale doing so.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

XboxPants posted:

They obviously had enough time to do some other things. Supporting roles, a movie here and there. But just because it doesn't take up 100% of their time, doesn't it takes up 0% of their time. It's not a black & white scenario here. An actor doing one full-time TV show commitment doesn't really have time to do a second one. Now they have enough time to enter another full-time commitment and big surprise, we're already hearing about McHale doing so.

There's also no guarantee of any other offers. So like I said, I'm happy that people I enjoyed watching were getting regularly paid. Also sure, McHale already has another job and that's awesome, someone mentioned Gillian Jacobs getting more comedy roles and I think that's fairly likely, Alison Brie has been working on other projects during the show and I assume will continue to after. Those three people have something fairly useful in common. What about Yvette Nichole Brown? Danny Pudi? There's a movie coming out called Million Dollar Arm about Indian guys getting a shot to pitch in baseball. What's the poster? Jon Hamm. I guess I just don't see the harm in supporting the work these people are actually doing rather than hypothetical work that may never exist.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Jummy posted:

There's also no guarantee of any other offers. So like I said, I'm happy that people I enjoyed watching were getting regularly paid. Also sure, McHale already has another job and that's awesome, someone mentioned Gillian Jacobs getting more comedy roles and I think that's fairly likely, Alison Brie has been working on other projects during the show and I assume will continue to after. Those three people have something fairly useful in common. What about Yvette Nichole Brown? Danny Pudi? There's a movie coming out called Million Dollar Arm about Indian guys getting a shot to pitch in baseball. What's the poster? Jon Hamm. I guess I just don't see the harm in supporting the work these people are actually doing rather than hypothetical work that may never exist.

Yeah, that's all a very good point, no argument there. It would be a real shame if Pudi or Glover just fade away into obscurity. Hell, same with Jim Rash or Alison Brie or Gillian Jacobs, there's no guarantee in this business. McHale & Oliver are pretty much the only ones I'm not worried about.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

YNB is way too talented to not land a sitcom gig somewhere.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, that's all a very good point, no argument there. It would be a real shame if Pudi or Glover just fade away into obscurity. Hell, same with Jim Rash or Alison Brie or Gillian Jacobs, there's no guarantee in this business. McHale & Oliver are pretty much the only ones I'm not worried about.

I wouldn't be too worried about Academy Award-winner Jim Rash.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

MrAristocrates posted:

You'd think so, but look at Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o. Maybe it will change soon but at this point after 12 Years A Slave she has had a role in Non-Stop apparently (anyone have an idea of how big?) and then she's listed for two pre-production movies. One of those is only rumored and the other she is doing a voice.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

XboxPants posted:

An actor doing one full-time TV show commitment doesn't really have time to do a second one.

Yeah, like Joel Mchale

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Deadline has an update:

Deadline.com posted:

Cult NBC comedy Community has not been shopped, but there has been incoming interest and, while there initially there was little intention on part of the producers to continue the series elsewhere, that is now considered a possibility.

Huh. I really thought this show was dead. It could just be some tire-kicking, though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Deadline is a sony marketing arm so I would put little to no stock in any article that could be conceivably part of Sonys spin team

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Deadline is a sony marketing arm so I would put little to no stock in any article that could be conceivably part of Sonys spin team
Conflict of interest? In my journalism?

That being said, what you're saying would actually be quite illegal if it was well and truly completely made up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

That being said, what you're saying would actually be quite illegal if it was well and truly completely made up.
Illegal how? There are no laws that say anything you report has to be true or avoid conflicts of interest. The only time truth actually matters is in libel cases.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MrAristocrates posted:

She's a character actor in a ton of other shows. If you watch older sitcoms (like in the 2000's) she turns up a lot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CBS just denied the McHale rumors.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerk McJerkface posted:

She's a character actor in a ton of other shows. If you watch older sitcoms (like in the 2000's) she turns up a lot.

Every sitcom needs a sassy black secretary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I hope that every sitcom needs a rail thin Indian guy.

I hope you can find other work, Danny Pudi :ohdear:

• Locked thread