Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
So how does this stack up to OG2 on the PS3? I thought OG2 was drat near perfect SRW. This honestly doesn't look quite as well animated and flashy and I miss the full bodied robots on the world map. Worth the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

The wording is 'New Series,' so I don't think it'll be a direct sequel.

If we get new Gundam stuff in Z3.2 I would see ZZ or something like Stargazer fitting most easily into the established setting and circumstances.

Stargazer or Astray seems reasonably likely since they're doing a new SEED-related plot.

Dishwasher posted:

So how does this stack up to OG2 on the PS3? I thought OG2 was drat near perfect SRW. This honestly doesn't look quite as well animated and flashy and I miss the full bodied robots on the world map. Worth the money?

It isn't quite as flash but does crossover/plot a hell of a lot better and I found it a bit more fun to play than OG2nd if just due to lacking the quarter-of-a-loving-game Masoukishin plot.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dishwasher posted:

I like it better, mostly because there's more variety in pilots and machines and music (just from the anime), and the tag system isn't dumb.

I finally got my Gunbuster/Diebuster movie two pack blueray thing. It isn't very good quality and the movie version skips a bunch of nice little scenes, but I didn't want to spend $200 to get both animes. I'll never forget when I first saw the scene where Ota takes Noriko to see Kazumi, he says "I'll show you what she has that you don't" and I thought he was talking about metal shoes, since that's the first thing she mentioned.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 15, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ethiser posted:

While I agree that Build Fighters won't be in Z3 saying they won't use it because they are making a new season is a crazy thing to say when they have used the Rebuild movies twice.

I did consider that, but I guess for me the difference is that they know the new Build Fighters series would be over probably some time in early 2015 so its probably easier to wait. Waiting for Rebuild to finish would mean not touching Eva until somewhere around 2062.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Caros posted:

I did consider that, but I guess for me the difference is that they know the new Build Fighters series would be over probably some time in early 2015 so its probably easier to wait. Waiting for Rebuild to finish would mean not touching Eva until somewhere around 2062.

You must really be an optimist to think they will finish the Eva movies this century.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

chutche2 posted:

Anyone here play the Gihren's Greed series? Been playing Shin Gihren lately and can't figure out how spying works in this one.

It really doesn't.

1) Pay 15 espionage points (Blue Bar) to increase your espionage rank (Green Row). Unfortunately only takes effect on your next turn.
2) 30 points to increase your Enemy Tech experience. Also increases the enemy Counter Espionage rank (Red Row).
3) Sabotage an enemy base for 40 points. I believe it's just static defences though. Also increases Counter Espionage.
4) 50 points to be able to buy an enemy unit next turn, at a ridiculous markup. It might be possible to get Blueprints from this, but I never have. Increases Counter Espionage.
5) 1000 money for +20 points.

No real point in anything but the first option, and even then, just for certain events. You need at least an A Rank to see inside enemy bases and full enemy stats though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Watching Diebuster again, I can't wait until this gets into SRW. Not so much for Nono (which has all kinds of unresolved gameplay issues) but just for the other Buster Machines, which will fit into the game so perfectly.

edit: Having Noriko already present will do weird things to Nono's character though...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 15, 2014

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Nono probably wouldn't realise Noriko is her Nonoriri for ages honestly, Nono is...pretty dense all things considered.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

HiKaizer posted:

Nono probably wouldn't realise Noriko is her Nonoriri for ages honestly, Nono is...pretty dense all things considered.
That would be difficult to write I think; Nono seems to understand what Noriko is about pretty well. More so than anyone else in Diebuster, at least.

They could have Noriko stay out of 3-2 until the very end and then suddenly show up, every inch the legendary galactic hero. That would solve the problem handily.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
On the note of Noriko, her ace ability in Z3 is just aces. I know I could also cast Miracle using items, but I keep forgetting they exist, so having it kick in for Noriko at a controllable morale level is great.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
What does Miracle do again?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

What does Miracle do again?

Pretty much every spirit activates on her.

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012

KoB posted:

Pretty much every spirit activates on her.

That better include Hard Work and Guts.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
If there was ever a moment that I wished that I could understand dialog in SRW games, it was definitely for this little extra scenario in Z3-1.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
In summary, Misato is worried about the Eva kids. Noriko hears this and takes it upon herself to drill some fighting spirit into them, with Simon helping. Then later on after the fight, it turns out Misato was worried about their school grades, not their performance in battle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish I could justify the DLC chapters. Some of them seem cute but not Pay Actual Moneys cute.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I haven't started the game yet but I was curious to those who have Z3 so far. Which was canon, the Trust Zero route or the Don't Trust Zero route from Z2.2?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

I wish I could justify the DLC chapters. Some of them seem cute but not Pay Actual Moneys cute.
Agreed. I just finished the last of the DLC stages, which I bought because I had the extra yen on my PSN account after buying Z3 and Dark Prison through the PSN store. Out of all of them, only the "Hard Mission" stage presented anything remotely challenging or engaging. The rest are just occasionally cute side stories, including a retread of the Tessa vs. Mao episode of Full Metal Panic. They have nice items, but again, not Pay Actual Moneys nice.

Admittedly I enjoyed the banter in the couples mission, where Aoi casually asked Takeru if he liked Roze or someone else, he gave a waffling answer, and she asked if that meant she had a shot. Then quickly assured him she was kidding. Except not totally.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 15, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I haven't started the game yet but I was curious to those who have Z3 so far. Which was canon, the Trust Zero route or the Don't Trust Zero route from Z2.2?

Neither. As in previous SRW games they took a mix of whatever they find interesting.

A safe bet for SRW is to assume that no specific route is canon. The Alpha and Z series both use a mix of whatever feels interesting to them. In the case of Z3 Emperor Lelouch is a thing that happened but events on the Trust Zero route also happened. Also Anew is alive and so is Four. I don't recall seeing anything about Euphemia's status but she's probably dead.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 15, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
So far my favorite ace pilot conversation is with Four. Paraphrased:

"Happy ace pilot, Four!"
"Why thank you, AG!"
"So, how would you like to celebrate with some Vietnamese noodles?"
"...That's pho."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

So far my favorite ace pilot conversation is with Four. Paraphrased:

"Happy ace pilot, Four!"
"Why thank you, AG!"
"So, how would you like to celebrate with some Vietnamese noodles?"
"...That's pho."

Ahahaha. I love those ace pilot conversations so much, although I think my favorite is Basara's.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

ImpAtom posted:

Neither. As in previous SRW games they took a mix of whatever they find interesting.

A safe bet for SRW is to assume that no specific route is canon. The Alpha and Z series both use a mix of whatever feels interesting to them. In the case of Z3 Emperor Lelouch is a thing that happened but events on the Trust Zero route also happened. Also Anew is alive and so is Four. I don't recall seeing anything about Euphemia's status but she's probably dead.

Ahhh so it's like Z1 where pretty much everything was canon. I do hope Euphemia is alive because Banjou surprising everyone with her in the Trust Zero route was amazing. Guess we'll see in the second half of Z3 then.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

What the gently caress did I just fight on the last stage? :gonk:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Oh Snapple! posted:

What the gently caress did I just fight on the last stage? :gonk:
A giant enemy crab.

Sphere Reactor: The Silent Crab.

Now that I'm also done with the game, some general thoughts:

Mechanics:
The Extra Action tag command is hilariously broken and I will be surprised if it remains as-is in the next game. Using it with Aquarion Guepard and anyone with Hit & Away was ridiculous in the endgame. Because I happened to give Mikono Hit & Away at random earlier in the game and the others didn't have it, she suddenly became a destroyer of worlds and my top ace in the game.

Money was very plentiful in this game. By the end of it, I'd spend 10 minutes or more during intermissions just browsing my unit list looking for something I might want to max out that I hadn't already.

I wish I'd realized systems weren't equippable parts before stage 58. :doh:

Story:
The Gemini plotline fizzled out abruptly, and as a result seemed to only exist to further Hibiki's power level development. As soon as the Geneon stole the Quarreling Twins sphere, the entire Gemini arc and all of its remaining loose ends immediately fell off a cliff.

I'm keenly interested in seeing what they do with Full Metal Panic. The preview seems to be setting up for what is so far a novel only story, and that's unexplored territory for SRW. If FMP sets the precedent, will they follow it with Hathaway's Flash in the same game?

As mentioned prior, the DLC added very little to the story. This is debatably good or bad; If it did add to the story with interesting plot bits, then they would effectively be paywalling parts of the plot. As it is, they paywalled some token dialogue and nice items instead. If those stages had been actual stages, they would have artificially lengthened the game with some overall bland filler. As it is, it's just optional filler. :v:

I thoroughly enjoyed the way they handled Char's Counterattack in Z3. It felt like Neo Zeon was taken more seriously this time as an actual political entity rather than yet another antagonist faction, the way it gets treated in other SRW titles. They went to considerable lengths to emphasize that there were peace talks and political discussions going on leading up to the declaration of war, and that it wasn't just a thing they decided to do one day because newtypes and evolution. Also, the original BGM they tended to use for talks in Char's office really seemed to fit the CCA musical tone to me.

As far as Eva goes, I think that if they wanted to treat Mari as such a nonentity of a character, she shouldn't have been the default option for people who didn't take a certain path split. She should have been a secret to work toward.

Final thoughts - Dear Banpresto, please bring back the old Aquarion and give it a combination attack with Aquarion EVOL. TIA, MGMT

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hokuto posted:

As far as Eva goes, I think that if they wanted to treat Mari as such a nonentity of a character, she shouldn't have been the default option for people who didn't take a certain path split. She should have been a secret to work toward.

I find this funny because it seems like the opposite of what they were going for. Asuka being there means that the player had to choose to abort the tests, and in the absence of player interference it's pretty safe to assume it's just business as usual for shows. The Cyber Newtype dies, Asuka pilots Unit 3, etc. Mari in Rebuild is treated pretty much the same way she is in the game. She's in the second movie for all of 30 minutes and I still don't think people know what the hell her deal is. She just happens to be the only person who enjoys the gently caress out of being an Eva pilot. I still haven't gotten around to seeing Rebuild 3.0 yet but from what I've heard, she's still just "That girl with glasses." That being said, it's lame as gently caress that she doesn't at least have beast mode, since that was really her primary thing when she piloted Unit 02.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 16, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

TARDISman posted:

I find this funny because it seems like the opposite of what they were going for.
I can appreciate that as a "show default" option, and it's sensible. My beef is just with how literally nonexistent the character is. As in, people ask where the new pilot is, and the answer is "She said she was going to her room, and to act like she's not here," and they proceed to do so for the rest of the game. Even if this is necessitated by a lack of distinctive characterization in the movies, it feels weird having that in particular as the default.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hokuto posted:

I can appreciate that as a "show default" option, and it's sensible. My beef is just with how literally nonexistent the character is. As in, people ask where the new pilot is, and the answer is "She said she was going to her room, and to act like she's not here," and they proceed to do so for the rest of the game. Even if this is necessitated by a lack of distinctive characterization in the movies, it feels weird having that in particular as the default.

Yeah, I guess their hands were tied as far as narrative goes.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

On the note of amusing conversations between pilots I always liked the conversation between Setsuna and Hiro in DW:Gundam 3.

I'm paraphrasing but...

:catstare:: Gundam?
:chef:: Gundam...
:catstare:: GUNDAM!
:chef:: You are Gundam?
:catstare: We are Gundam!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

MechaX posted:

If there was ever a moment that I wished that I could understand dialog in SRW games, it was definitely for this little extra scenario in Z3-1.

Did the uploader add the F/F Final EVA theme, or is that actually in the game?

i may or may not have an erection depending on the answer :v:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hokuto posted:

I'm keenly interested in seeing what they do with Full Metal Panic. The preview seems to be setting up for what is so far a novel only story, and that's unexplored territory for SRW. If FMP sets the precedent, will they follow it with Hathaway's Flash in the same game?

Didn't they use some stuff from the Crossbone short stories or am I crazy? I'd be OK with sneaking Hathaway's Flash in, even if they just give me Xi Gundam or something as an upgrade.

Race Realists posted:

Did the uploader add the F/F Final EVA theme, or is that actually in the game?

i may or may not have an erection depending on the answer :v:

I think that's an uploaded BGM. The other ones definitely are.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
So when I blabbed about making up series lists earlier and someone posited 'well sometimes it's better if you just take random shows and make them work out', and because I am an insane person, I basically went and compiled every single show I see as being SRW-able, alongside some Western stuff, video games, and even that Exo-Force thing Lego did a while back because it was as anime as possible.

Here are all 246 of them. Note that satellite series I tagged onto others - i can't imagine who would want to use Mazinger without Great Mazinger if you don't count K, the pre-Zeta Gundam OVAs would be tagged onto one or the other presumably, Astray and Destiny are all under SEED, pretty much anything Macross that isn't 7 or Frontier would be tagged to the original. Usage of a list randomizer would indeed allow for easily making effectively off the wall cast lists should one look at the first or last 10-20 entries there.

Note that results will inevitably include lots of tiresome unnoticed 70s super robot shows, cheesy 80s apocalyptic OVAs, fanservice-crazed 90s OVAs, utterly forgettable real robot 2000s shows, and Daimidaler or Dai Shogun all the time because random.org hates me. ^.^

Feel free to prod me about things that ought or ought not to be on this, I haven't watched the vast majority of these and don't intend to, so yeah. And you better share amusing results.

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 16, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I don't see either SD Gundam or Hatsune Miku, two esteemed SRW UX veterans.

You got Ginguizer though, so there goes my chance at reminding everyone that exists.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Where's Metal Wolf Chaos?

And, as an actual serious suggestion, you forgot Rinne no Lagrange, which would at least be worth it for its opening.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

As a half serious suggestion, Lost Planet. As a not at all serious suggestion, Custom Robo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Man I want Majestic Prince in SRW.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

TARDISman posted:

As a half serious suggestion, Lost Planet. As a not at all serious suggestion, Custom Robo.

That's for when then they do Shonen Robot Toy fight SRW along with Build Fighters, Metabots, and Danball Senki

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I did not forget Lagrange! I just forgot the 'rinne no' of it. I should've put in Metal Wolf Chaos though.

I will not put in Miku Hatsune because...no. SD Gundam is a weird thing that I should have though. I can't think of a thing in which it fits well, other than...a heavily fantasy-oriented one? I have literally no idea why they put it in UX but then nothing makes sense in that game. Maybe they composed that cast list with something like this as well. :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

That's for when then they do Shonen Robot Toy fight SRW along with Build Fighters, Metabots, and Danball Senki

It's true, combine it with Frame Arms and Super Robot Chogokin and they could do pretty much a full game based entirely on toy to toy combat.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I'm thinking of one of the Charles Band robot movie trilogy (Robot Jox, Robot Wars, Crash and Burn), most likely Robot Jox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
One last impression (:v:) about Z3-1 while I'm thinking about it.

I miss boss music. Only Gadlight and Iku had any at all, and aside from them, it felt kind of underwhelming just hearing the same hero themes in every boss fight.

• Locked thread