Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

quote:

Jaffe, Jobby and Bwe like this

Regarding NPC companions, how much control do we have over their abilities? Is it like other infinity engine games (most likely) where you already get a developed character but you are free to level him up from that point onward, is it like some mods where you can relevel the NPC when you get them and put points as you see fit, or like Arcanum where you have no control over NPC abilities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I think they must have realized the negative reaction to NWN2's inflexibility w/r/t companion PrC choice and the like. But this is a different system. I fully expect the player to have full control over companion ability choice and leveling so as to facilitate greater player control over tactics.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I already know my blood pressure can't handle clicking that link.
I actually recommend it to improve your blood pressure. Excellent way to get your laughs for the day: meeting a caveman in 2014 is hilarious.

E: Oh, someone posted it anyway. How inconsiderate.

Re: companion levelling, BG used to have a few different versions of the characters and spawn one that matched you when you encountered them. It has some flexibility to it, and it's good for not overwhelming new players/experienced players who don't care or aren't good at character design. Having dozens upon dozens of different options when you meet a character (quite possibly whose class you don't yet understand well) some way into the game is not always the best. On a personal level, I'd prefer something like the Tweakpack component which always spawned the lowest level version of the character and just kicked their XP up so you could level them all the way yourself, but I could understand if they went the other way.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I actually recommend it to improve your blood pressure. Excellent way to get your laughs for the day: meeting a caveman in 2014 is hilarious.

It'd be humorous if it was just one caveman, but the sickening thing is having it be revealed that they are everywhere when you thought it was only a handful.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Seriously what the gently caress is with you guys. Who cares about some retard on the OE forums.

Posts about it on the Codex thread: 5
Posts about it here: 36 (including this one)

I'm quite looking forward to the next update, will be interesting to see how Adam solved the blending issue, and some of the other stuff they've been able to do.

That said, while dynamic lighting is cool, I'd say that using them on spells has a detrimental effect so far (OR that may just be light probes used in spell animations, i'm not sure). Way too flashy for my tastes.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Loved the update, and loved the echo in the caster voice. That's some proper BG poo poo, right there.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Bettik posted:

Loved the update, and loved the echo in the caster voice. That's some proper BG poo poo, right there.

I loved how the effect is applied on the last word of the incantation too. Very nice touch, and makes you feel the spell, man.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So do Paladins have the same rules as Priests, in that they have to stick to their ideology in order to retain and strengthen their powers?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Telling us that might spoil Pallegina's character arch.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
So I haven't been really up to date on news but there's one last party member unannounced right? The current roster is Eder, Sagani, Aloth, Forton, Cadegund, Pallegina, and the Orlan detective, correct?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

SunAndSpring posted:

So do Paladins have the same rules as Priests, in that they have to stick to their ideology in order to retain and strengthen their powers?

quote:

The power of both Holy Radiance and the paladin's Faith and Conviction abilities can be modified by their behavior and the reputations they develop from the choices they make.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

So I haven't been really up to date on news but there's one last party member unannounced right? The current roster is Eder, Sagani, Aloth, Forton, Cadegund, Pallegina, and the Orlan detective, correct?

Yes. There's a yet-to-be-revealed Fighter companion.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Devastation.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can't remember- will there be restrictions on what kind of armour you can wear? I know monks need to take damage to use their powers, so armour isn't as useful as them, but can a chanter, ranger or mage wear full plate? Because I so want to make a chanter who sings as he wades into battle :syoon:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Vermain posted:

Yes. There's a yet-to-be-revealed Fighter companion.
All right thanks. Guess the last one is probably going to be an Aumaua.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

CommissarMega posted:

I can't remember- will there be restrictions on what kind of armour you can wear? I know monks need to take damage to use their powers, so armour isn't as useful as them, but can a chanter, ranger or mage wear full plate? Because I so want to make a chanter who sings as he wades into battle :syoon:

Anyone can wear any armor--even monks--but heavier armor slows your action rate.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
The hardest part of this game will be picking which companion to leave at camp. And which class to play. So two parts are the hardest, I guess.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Male Man posted:

Anyone can wear any armor--even monks--but heavier armor slows your action rate.

I'm interested to see how that works with chanters as they have a progression of phrases through time. Does it take longer to voice them? Longer till you get an invocation? Or as they're a 'constant effect' is it only other actions that are affected?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I'm going to pick as many gun wielders as I can and just become the murderhobo firing squad.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Furism posted:

The hardest part of this game will be picking which companion to leave at camp. And which class to play. So two parts are the hardest, I guess.
Same, thankfully you can have the majority of the possible party members come with you at once.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

AXE COP posted:

I'm going to pick as many gun wielders as I can and just become the murderhobo firing squad.

Clop-clop, clop-clop, clop-clop, BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG clopclopclopclopclopclopclop

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Furism posted:

Expert Mode + Trial of Iron + Path of the Damned -playthrough might change your mind on that. :v:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm totally going to bring Cadegund along at all times so we can give the war goddess tribute in bullets and explosions. :black101:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm gonna be a huge dweeb and play a good natured, ethically consistent hero; a 'Fantasy Justice Warrior' if you will.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Clop-clop, clop-clop, clop-clop, BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG clopclopclopclopclopclopclop

I burst out laughing in the middle of the office because I could exactly hear the sound you posted. rear end in a top hat!

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Accordion Man posted:

I'm totally going to bring Cadegund along at all times so we can give the war goddess tribute in bullets and explosions. :black101:

I think the concept of sticking her in full plate was flawed for a pair of reasons - the first is that it is difficult to shoulder a firearm properly in comparatively flexible modern body armor, much less full plate, and the second is that she doesn't look large-framed enough for full plate to make sense, even after acknowledging the tradeoff that Mgr. Sawyer, esq. mentioned between protection and mobility. IMO a long jacket of mail under a cuirass or something like lorica segmentata and some greaves would make more sense.

Now the first problem I have there could be mitigated if they gave Cad a firing stick to go with her arquebus - it's still going to deflect under recoil since it's impossible to get the butt into the pocket of her shoulder, but that isn't a huge problem given how long it takes to reload an arquebus and the amount of movement in its manual of arms anyways. The second could be mitigated via any of the normal fantasy tropes - her plate is made of Durgan steel and only weighs 25 pounds total, she's six standard deviations above the mean in terms of skeletal muscle because she's a heroine, she gets strength from her god (Magran?), etc.

On an unrelated note, I think the nomenclature for priests/priestesses is faulty given their description and that friar or minister would be a better term. Unless there are different types of priests that weren't mentioned in the update v:shobon:v
e: that being said I understand why they stuck with the term people were used to and this doesn't in any way affect my enjoyment of the game

Blotto Skorzany fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 15, 2014

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

IIRC IRL Full Plate gives more mobility than mail.

And I recall someone already saying something similar and rope kid's reply was something along the lines of that Cadegund is not as concerned with speed as she is protection.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 15, 2014

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
It depends on what you mean by mobility. My understanding is that well made full plate restricts the movement of your joints less, but is going to tire you out more quickly due to the weight. Obviously the gauge of mail we're comparing plate to has an effect on this. And if you go High Middle Ages and have full plate over mail and compare that to just mail, of course there's no question.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

People didn't dual wield IRL either, so ...

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm looking at this alternate design for the dwarven ranger

I have to say I like the original face paint waaaay better.

Hopefully her feet are massive. Absolutely delighted that we can choose from a full list of well developed characters. I'm glad it was suggested in the first place; it really will help my enjoyment of the game now. Always will i have a female dwarf in my party, an old, bald monk or a wizard who resembles mr Bean. Female Paladin? Female Priest? Are you actually seriously not going to take them with you? Only in the world capital of politically correctness, California. It's like some sort of who's who of the least uninteresting adventuring party ever i'm happy to say. Please, please God, let the Aumaua also be a interesting! If the Aumaua (will there even be one?!!) is female as well, i just don't think i'll mind.

Will their be an Aumaua companion? Will it also be female? Please, give me at least one tough companion who i actually want next to me in a fight with monsters!

And i really enjoy Baldur's Gate 2 more than i did Baldur's gate 1 : the fact there were basically no wilderness areas just made it seem more like the areas you did go to where much more smoother, polished and not vast empty tracks of random monsters. Once there was nowhere new for me to explore, i quickly started a new game. At the beginning, i assumed there'd be plenty of wilderness. If you surveyed us lot to see who preferred Badur's Gate 2 to Icewind Dale, it would be virtually everybody. Loads of us consider exploration of new areas absolutely paramount, but it's not necessary for them to be wilderness.

If the reasoning not to integate new stretch goals is because there weren't too many votes, couldn't Obsidian have made a vote that was easier to find/access? I'd say almost 80% of the voteing in favour was an overwhelming success.

I can't believe, when the game is being released late anyway, so many people actually voted "no" for free additional content and characters. Obsidian will use the extra money for development anyway! You just voted : " no, less free content, less exploration, less characters, more focus on polish". Such mind blowing regard for quality control the general public have.

Happiness!

Remember the key point here: If this game is a resounding success, you'll presumably be able to release more. If this one fails, you might not. Not enough wilderness is a massive issue to a very vocal minority. Not enough palatable companions is another massive issue to the other half of us. There is no need to actually introduce more stretch goals, but that doesn't prevent you guys (Obsidian) from sticking in more at your own discretion as a nice surprise :-)

Ps And no "romance". What's the point at all of romancing a companion character? Do you honestly think the spread of people who'll be playing this is 50/50 normal/creepers? Although I'd better be able to sate my curiosity about their backstories at a tavern/brothel somewhere, or i'll be...distressed.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Otto Skorzeny posted:

The second could be mitigated via any of the normal fantasy tropes - her plate is made of Durgan steel and only weighs 25 pounds total, she's six standard deviations above the mean in terms of skeletal muscle because she's a heroine, she gets strength from her god (Magran?), etc.

Here have a video of a 90 pound woman squatting with 400 pounds on her back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45wf6w7UX8c

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

verybad posted:

Here have a video of a 90 pound woman squatting with 400 pounds on her back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45wf6w7UX8c

Yeah, no, that Priest is staying at camp.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Furism posted:

Yeah, no, that Priest is staying at camp.

I'm subbing her out for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45wf6w7UX8c

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Otto Skorzeny posted:

It depends on what you mean by mobility. My understanding is that well made full plate restricts the movement of your joints less, but is going to tire you out more quickly due to the weight. Obviously the gauge of mail we're comparing plate to has an effect on this. And if you go High Middle Ages and have full plate over mail and compare that to just mail, of course there's no question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q&t=44s

I'm no expert, but a full suit if plate armor probably weighed anywhere from 35-60 pounds, which I assume depended on make and material. This places it solidly in the weight range for what the US military has its soldiers lug around today. People were also able to do acrobatic routines while wearing it. If I remember right the reason plate armor was transitioned out of use wasn't necessarily because it was cumbersome and heavy, but because it was ridiculously expensive, difficult to maintain and stopped being terribly relevant once firearms and pikes started being commonly adopted.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 15, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fish Fry Andy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q&t=44s

I'm not expert, but a full suit if plate armor probably weighed anywhere from 35-60 pounds, which I assume depended on make and material. This places it solidly in the weight range for what the US military has its soldiers lug around today. People were also able to do acrobatic routines while wearing it. If I remember right the reason plate armor was transitioned out of use wasn't necessarily because it was cumbersome and heavy, but because it was ridiculously expensive, difficult to maintain and stopped being terribly relevant once firearms and pikes started being commonly adopted.

Mostly just the first thing actually. Full plate could and did deflect bullets.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

verybad posted:

For a 90-lb woman, a 1RM of 390 lb is impressive - it doesn't have much to do with the viability of a 5'11 155 pounder running around in 50-70 pounds of plate, but it's indeed an example of what I meant when I mentioned that heroes having muscle strength several standard deviations above the mean would be a suitable explanation for Cad wearing gothic plate that fits within the genre.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
^Plate is about 20 lbs lighter than you think.

I believe she's an M.D., so yeah you'll still get a healer class in your party that way.

verybad fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 15, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If you need me I'll be at the gym. :stare:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

verybad posted:

I believe she's an M.D., so yeah you'll still get a healer class in your party that way.

Do Finnish people get +5 str regardless of their occupation, and in addition to the +4 or whatever they get to driving cars? That race is completely OP and needs a rebalance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lotish posted:

If you need me I'll be at the gym. :stare:

Whelp, I'm heading off to the gym too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJHFnNIK1i4

• Locked thread