Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My sister is a huge Beatles fan, so I preordered that for her birthday next month. I'm pretty sure she's gonna love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
The Museum of the Moving Image is hosting a 30-film(!) Mizoguchi retrospective this month, which loving rules if you're in New York, but also (in a way) provides another window into rights, releases, restorations, etc.

Janus is, naturally, providing prints for Ugetsu, Sansho the Bailiff, and The Life of Oharu. One would assume (or at least hope) that these prints were newly struck from the restored masters just prior to home video release. (The fall 2006-spring 2007 tour of seven Mizoguchi films, timed just prior to the DVD release of Sansho the Bailiff, suggests this.)

As for the films on DVD via the Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women Eclipse set, Janus is providing Street of Shame and Sisters of the Gion (both of which toured in 2006-07), but not Women of the Night or Osaka Elegy.

Then there are five Mizoguchi films streaming on Hulu Plus but not Region 1 DVD or Blu-Ray. Princess Yang Kwei-fei (Yokihi), The 47 Ronin (Parts 1 and 2), The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums, and Utamaro and His Five Women are obviously "unrestored" and open with neither a Criterion nor a Janus logo. Of these, Janus provided only Utamaro and His Five Women (it and Chrysanthemums were the sixth and seventh that toured in 2006-07; presumably the Japan Society simply has a better print of the latter).

The Hulu Plus stream of The Crucified Lovers (Chikamatsu Monogatari), interestingly for those hoping for a home video release, opens with both logos and looks to have had some restoration work done. Nevertheless, for this retrospective the print has been provided by the Japan Foundation, which suggests that Janus has not (yet?) struck a print of this restoration.

e: tried bolding the titles but decided not to

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 2, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
For All Mankind is great, definitely worth a blind buy if you like space stuff. One thing that might surprise you though, it's a documentary but there's very little discussion or narration in the film. It's meant more to show the raw films and images of the Apollo, etc. missions.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mod sassinator posted:

For All Mankind is great, definitely worth a blind buy if you like space stuff. One thing that might surprise you though, it's a documentary but there's very little discussion or narration in the film. It's meant more to show the raw films and images of the Apollo, etc. missions.
I'm not gonna lie, this sounds totally awesome to me.

I just ordered it from a seller on eBay for a little over $20.
I do wish I'd known there was a Criterion version of 'The Game', I wouldn't have bid on a cool steelbook bluray on eBay. :saddowns:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mod sassinator posted:

As long as you're not expecting a mission-by-mission history, it's a great piece. (The documentary is more of a synthetic "mission" compiled from all of the missions, and is designed to give the perspective of the astronauts in general rather than some insight into the technical background of the program. For the latter there's always When We Left Earth)

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

It's very much serves to drive home how incredible of a triumph it was to make it to space / the moon. The film, dialogue from missions, and incredible soundtrack all work together to instill a sense of childlike wonder and awe. Such a great experience every time.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

The Museum of the Moving Image is hosting a 30-film(!) Mizoguchi retrospective this month

I've seen 22 of those :smug:

Actually just watched The Famous Sword Bijomaru a week ago.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Maybe this is a rhetorical question but if I rented The Leopard from my library, I'd want to go with the original release, correct? Disc 3 has the American release with Burt Lancaster's own voice but runs about 10 minutes shorter. The booklet's not included so I don't know if it was included for the same reasons Brazil's happy ending version was included.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Don't watch disc 3. Watch disc 1

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Found something interesting on StumbleUpon, If you search by studio they have a bunch of Criterions listed that haven't been announced officially. Polanski's Macbeth, Grand Budapest, Boyhood, Moonrise Kingdom, Hard Eight, A King in New York, THE INNOCENTS!!! and a bunch of others. Link HERE

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Found something interesting on StumbleUpon, If you search by studio they have a bunch of Criterions listed that haven't been announced officially. Polanski's Macbeth, Grand Budapest, Boyhood, Moonrise Kingdom, Hard Eight, A King in New York, THE INNOCENTS!!! and a bunch of others. Link HERE

Grand Budapest is not going to be coming out on Criterion for a long time. It will just be coming out next month.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

bobkatt013 posted:

Grand Budapest is not going to be coming out on Criterion for a long time. It will just be coming out next month.

You didn't even click that link, did you? Sort by recently added. The June release you see on amazon and such is a Fox one.

edit: Reading comprehension. I see what you mean. Regardless, it's still oddly listed in that link.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

You didn't even click that link, did you? Sort by recently added. The June release you see on amazon and such is a Fox one.

edit: Reading comprehension. I see what you mean. Regardless, it's still oddly listed in that link.

I assume they just stuck it there since its a Wes Anderson film and they all end up coming out on Criterion. So everything on that link could just be rumors, but I still want Macbeth. :argh:

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume they just stuck it there since its a Wes Anderson film and they all end up coming out on Criterion. So everything on that link could just be rumors, but I still want Macbeth. :argh:

Hah, that is very true! I want Macbeth too but I am CRAZY excited for The Innocents!

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
It seems like bluray.com is crowdsourced so yeah there's literally no basis in fact there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think lot of those are from newsletter hints, Polanski's Macbeth definitely is.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume they just stuck it there since its a Wes Anderson film and they all end up coming out on Criterion.

Not complaining, since I love most of Anderson's films, but why is this?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Red posted:

Criterion has had a close working relationship with Anderson for well over ten years, they like his films, people in general have responded well to the releases, they probably sell well, etc. It's a no-brainer for both parties.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Slate Action posted:

Criterion has had a close working relationship with Anderson for well over ten years, they like his films, people in general have responded well to the releases, they probably sell well, etc. It's a no-brainer for both parties.

That's what I've assumed, I just wondered if Criterion had a special agreement/contract.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The Innocents is a thing people have wanted Criterion to do for a while but I'm not sure it's gotten further than that, I don't remember any clues that would match it and haven't seen a Janus print floating around the theaters. It's not impossible, I just can't recall anything pointing at its release other than people saying they want it to happen.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Red posted:

Speaking of Anderson, if that list is to be trusted I'm excited for a Hard Eight release especially because the DVD is pretty hard to find and it could mean more Anderson in the collection.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I would set aside money to buy The Innocents the day they announced it. What an unsettling film.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
God drat I want them to do Polanski's Macbeth so badly. I might actually buy the movie if they release it, since my money would be going to Criterion and not anywhere near Polanski.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#384 - VENGEANCE IS MINE (8/26, Blu-Ray upgrade)

#721 - LOVE STREAMS (8/12, 3-disc combo/2-disc DVD)

• New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New audio commentary featuring writer Michael Ventura
• New video essay on actor Gena Rowlands by film critic Sheila O'Malley
• New interviews with executive producer and director of photography Al Ruban and actor Diahnne Abbott
• Interview from 2008 with actor Seymour Cassel
• "I'm Almost Not Crazy..."—John Cassavetes: The Man and His Work (1984), a sixty-minute documentary by Ventura on the making of Love Streams
• Trailer
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Dennis Lim and a 1984 piece by Cassavetes on the film from the New York Times

#722 - TIE ME UP! TIE ME DOWN! (8/19, 3-disc combo/2-disc DVD)

•New 2K digital restoration, supervised by director Pedro Almodóvar and executive producer Agustín Almodóvar, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•New documentary on the making of the film including interviews with Pedro and Agustín Almodóvar; actors Antonio Banderas, Victoria Abril, Loles Léon, Rossy de Palma, and Penélope Cruz; production manager Esther García; editor José Salcedo; and cinematographer José Luis Alcaine
•New interview with Almodóvar collaborator and Sony Pictures Classics copresident Michael Barker
•Conversation from 2003 between Almodóvar and Banderas
•Footage from the film’s 1990 premieres in Madrid and New York
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring a 1990 piece about the film by Almodóvar, a conversation between filmmaker Wes Anderson and critic Kent Jones, and an interview with Almodóvar from 1989

#723 - Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN (8/19, 3-disc combo/2-disc DVD)

•New 2K digital restoration, supervised by director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki and approved by director Alfonso Cuarón, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•On “Y tu mamá también”: Then and On “Y tu mamá también”: Now, two new pieces on the making of the film, featuring interviews with actors Gael García Bernal, Diego Luna, and Maribel Verdú; Cuarón; cowriter Carlos Cuarón; and Lubezki
•New interview with philosopher Slavoj Žižek about the film
•On-set documentary from 2001
•Deleted scenes
•You Owe Me One (2002), a short film by Carlos Cuarón
•Trailers
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Charles Taylor and character biographies by Carlos Cuarón

#724 - ALL THAT JAZZ (8/26, 3-disc combo/2-disc DVD)

•New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed 3.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Two audio commentaries: a feature-length one with editor Alan Heim and a scene-specific one with actor Roy Scheider
•Razzle-Dazzle, a new video essay on the film by critic Matt Zoller Seitz
•Episode from 1980 of the television talk show Tomorrow, featuring director Bob Fosse and choreographer Agnes de Mille
•New interview with Heim
•New interview with Fosse biographer Sam Wasson
•Interview excerpts and footage from the set, featuring Fosse and Scheider
•Portrait of a Choreographer, a 2007 documentary on Fosse
•The Soundtrack: Perverting the Standards, a 2007 documentary about the music in the film
•Interview from 2007 with George Benson about his song “On Broadway,” which opens the film
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by theater critic Hilton Als
•More!

My take:

Vengeance Is Mine - I really liked it, but don't need to see it again.

Love Streams - One of my faves by Cassavetes, definite buy.

Tie Me Up - Haven't seen this since the early 90's. It didn't stick with me much then but now that I'm into Almodovar, I'm very much wanting to see it again. Rental, possible buy.

Y Tu Mama Tambien - Eh, not a big fan

All That Jazz - One of my top 100, super excited for this!

Two must-buy titles in one month is pretty sweet.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 15, 2014

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Tie Me Up is one of my favorite Almodovars. Can't friggin wait!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I've been meaning to buy All That Jazz on video for a long time. I'm so excited for this.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Y tu mama tambien has in the works for four years and they still don't have the final box art. Also Zizek has a special feature for some reason?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I feel like I'm being trolled with that "BOX ART COMING SOON".

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Hey I suggested Polanski's Macbeth on one of their Facebook suggest a title topic ages ago. Also hope to loving god The Innocents is legit as it's one of the best ghost stories ever (The Turn of the Screw is my favorite novel).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I watched 'For All Mankind', you guys were totally right and it was completely awesome and very much worth the blind purchase. Thanks! :cheers:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I remember buying For All Mankind immediately after listening to my dad's copy of Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks for the first time. It was the last Criterion I expected them to upgrade right after I got it but then it happened. Still gotta pick up that blu ray at some point.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Does Criterion ever put out-of-print movies back into print? Like, if I want a copy of Army of Shadows without having to pay $65 to a reseller, am I out of luck?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Slate Action posted:

Does Criterion ever put out-of-print movies back into print? Like, if I want a copy of Army of Shadows without having to pay $65 to a reseller, am I out of luck?

I think it's pretty rare unfortunately. They usually go out of print because they lose the rights for some reason. You might look to see if someone else has released it though.

Does anyone know what the deal is with a lot of the Melville flicks going out of print? Is there some fancy box set of his works coming perhaps?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Slate Action posted:

They usually go out of print because they lose the rights, in this case Army of Shadows is with Studio Canal now. You might be able to import it if you have a region free player. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Army-of-Shadows-Blu-ray/66157/

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Hm, that's too bad. I don't have a region-free player, so I think I'll just snag a copy off of Ebay for $40.

e: seems I got lucky, Army of Shadows seems to be one of the cheapest out-of-print Criterions out there. Last Year at Marienbad goes for around $70.

The Third Man goes for $200+, and the Studio Canal version apparently sucks :negative:

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 16, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah, the day Last Year at Marienbad went out of print, I swung by Barnes & Noble on my way to work and grabbed the Blu Ray, knowing it'd be my last chance. Did the same with Chungking Express.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I fully expect Criterion to get the rights back to at least some, if not all of the StudioCanal titles eventually. The only thing keeping Criterion from keeping the films in print is the exclusivity with Lionsgate in Region 1/A. Lionsgate could license to Criterion... which is likely since they've only released six titles on their own since 2010 (all but one previous Criterion releases). It's not far-fetched since all the MGM titles are licensed from Fox, which in turn licenses that library from MGM Holdings. Some of the StudioCanal films were licensed from Rialto Pictures rather than from them directly.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Still kicking myself for not picking up The Third Man. I was at a Barnes and Noble holding it once and contemplating the purchase but passed on it, never to be seen again. Oh well I have some others like Man Who Fell To Earth, Marienbad, Army of Shadows, and Ran to make up for it. Basically as soon as I hear a Criterion is going out of print I immediately think about buying it now, even if I might not be a huge fan.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

mod sassinator posted:

Still kicking myself for not picking up The Third Man. I was at a Barnes and Noble holding it once and contemplating the purchase but passed on it, never to be seen again. Oh well I have some others like Man Who Fell To Earth, Marienbad, Army of Shadows, and Ran to make up for it. Basically as soon as I hear a Criterion is going out of print I immediately think about buying it now, even if I might not be a huge fan.

I bought the Third Man three times, once a copy of the first release, again for the rerelease, and then I snagged the blu-ray when that came out. Still have two of them :cool: I've got the others you listed except for Ran, had to settle for the studiocanal version :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It's seems like such a superfluous thing to complain about, but I despise the StudioCanal bumper on older films. It's hideous and obnoxious and completely clashes with the tone of the movies they stick it in front of.