Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

I liked Resident Evil 4, 5, AND 6. AS WELL as the old games. :shepface:

Except Resident Evil 0, that was loving garbage. Holding that opinion is the only reason I have not been tossed into an insane asylum.

Were there at least men in white knocking on your front door when you enjoyed Code Veronica?

I realize there are a lot of fans of CV(X) in here and on the internet as a whole but I just...I hate that game. It is way too long for a classic RE game. That plus the terrible way the graphics have aged and the overabundance of cutscenes just make it unplayable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

NikkolasKing posted:

Were there at least men in white knocking on your front door when you enjoyed Code Veronica?

I realize there are a lot of fans of CV(X) in here and on the internet as a whole but I just...I hate that game. It is way too long for a classic RE game. That plus the terrible way the graphics have aged and the overabundance of cutscenes just make it unplayable for me.

Oh Christ, I forgot about Code Veronica. No gently caress that game as well.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Excels posted:

honestly i forgot what happens after you run away doing unfair QTEs for ten minutes and then blast out chunks of a giant Adaface i just stopped caring

or maybe i never cared from the start

re6 is just soulless

But... But Leon's campaign in Tall Oaks was awesome...

Though I have to admit the Carla boss battle was just... pathetic. No strategy whatsoever, just aim right at her face and pretty much hold down the trigger until she dies. Don't bother dodging, don't look for a weak point, don't waste time trying to take down the small fry that harass you. Just hold down the trigger until you win.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Punching dudes as Chris was always a ton of fun.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So now that we're so far separated from its disastrous release and the superior PC version being out, is 6 worth playing? 'Cause I could go for some good dumb fun Resident Evil right about now.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I got my copy on December steam sale for like £5. Wait for the summer one, it should be with us in the next couple weeks.

Also get Revs while you're at it, they'll probably go on sale at the same time.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Hakkesshu posted:

So now that we're so far separated from its disastrous release and the superior PC version being out, is 6 worth playing? 'Cause I could go for some good dumb fun Resident Evil right about now.

It's totally worth playing, the PC port is the best port of a Capcom game to date, with Revelations probably also being on the same level but inexplicably ten dollars more expensive. Like 5, the game is way better played with a buddy, but unlike 5 your AI partner is now basically Tails from the old Sonic games and just runs around doing whatever instead of constantly requiring your attention and management.

I think a lot more people would like RE6 if they just gave it a shot. Every campaign has its high and low points, but I think they're actually pretty memorable.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Honestly I never really got the hate for 6. Sure a couple of fights drag on too long, and each campaign has that ONE stage but beyond that it was a pretty solid game. Yeah it wasn't scary but the series never was for anyone older than 7.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Playing through RE6 with a buddy has been one of the most fun gaming experiences I've had in recent years. The game's incredibly silly, has some really stupid big setpieces, and while there are a few parts of the game that do suck, for the most part we've had a ton of fun with it.

And chalk me up as a fan of RE 4+5+6. I've only played Umbrella Chronicles and RE1 aside from those three, but RE1's tanky controls trip me up a lot since I didn't play it when it came out.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

NikkolasKing posted:

Wesker's fights or the Krauser fight?

To me it's kind of a wash. I agree with the whole cat and mouse thing with Krauser turning into him embracing his salty johns and setting the last arena to blow. Him growing a big fuckoff kill arm and semi-casually being all "Prepare for your death, Leon." was pretty cool. On the other hand Wesker's whole hangar boss fight is great. The atmosphere, the music, him catching rockets. Both can be cheesed out and finished quick if you know what you're doing. I think Wesker's fight would take it if he didn't have the whole secondary monster mash fight that, besides Chris punching a boulder, didn't do a whole lot for me. Would have preferred it ended at that first fight but extend it out some.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

The "problem" with RE6 was a death by a thousand cuts. Tons of little issues popped up constantly, and it "ruined" the game. There were a few major issues ( lack of explanation about certain things, no real horror ), but it was the small things that really got people fed up enough to hate it.

Capcom patched out the majority of those issues, so now I'd say it's a good game, especially on the PC. You still have to deal with the arcane systems, a focus on action over horror, and a few bad stages, but honestly it's a pretty fun overall, especially if you can appreciate dumb poo poo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
PC RE4 is basically The Definitive Edition, right?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

PC RE4 is basically The Definitive Edition, right?

PC RE4/6 are the best versions.

Console RE5 is the best version ( for lost in nightmares/the fact they'll keep working after July. )

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think I'm also really lucky in not having played RE 6 until the PC release. Everyone had been making GBS threads on it so much that my expectations were rock bottom but when the PC release came out, much of the major issues got patched out and I was pleasantly surprised for the most part barring a few things. It also has the absolute best Mercenaries mode in the series and playing that co-op was a ton of fun.

It's definitely not a 4.5/10 game like some of the reviews from gaming websites say at any rate.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
A lot of issues got patched out of RE6, but the fundamental issue I had with it was that much of the game was gimmicky poo poo. The core gameplay was fun, but no, they want you to do a swimming section, or driving section, or a flying section, or a snowmobile section, or a stealth section. I played through the game once and have no desire to play through it again.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hakkesshu posted:

In my opinion no, but if you get it cheap I guess it's worth a shot. I played through and enjoyed every RE (including 0) and could not make it past the first scenario in 6. As someone else said, it's a soulless game that didn't know what it wanted to be: hollywood action movie, zombie game, or 2-player beatemup. At least as far as I could stomach playing, it didn't do any of those things well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I love every game in the series except for:
RE0
Gaiden
Nemesis
ORC
Survivor

RE5 is kind of borderline for me. On the one hand I didn't like it too much but it was because of lesser reasons like the atmosphere not being as intense as RE4 (sound design played a big part in this actually). On the other hand I never played it coop which I'm sure is great because all the parts I really hated were the vehicle/other areas where having someone else controlling your partner would help a lot.

Survivor is trash but they made up for it by making all the sequels straight up rail shooters. It was weird how Cavia went back to the Survivor model with Dead Aim though, but finally brought it home with the stupid/rad as hell Chronicles games. Man Resident Evil but King's Field is such an amazing idea, it sucks that Survivor is so not enjoyable to look at (even when it was new) or play.

I wish there was a way to play 3DS Revelations in all first person, the game has like almost no vertical space anyway.

I still have to play RE6 now that they've patched the camera and some other things that turned me off in the demo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

A lot of issues got patched out of RE6, but the fundamental issue I had with it was that much of the game was gimmicky poo poo. The core gameplay was fun, but no, they want you to do a swimming section, or driving section, or a flying section, or a snowmobile section, or a stealth section. I played through the game once and have no desire to play through it again.

RE6 is definitely a game where they were chasing set pieces so you never get to just play the game. Hell even when you are getting to run around shooting dudes there are often gimmicks interrupting you from just shooting some guys.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's been a about a year and a half since Resident Evil 6 came out, you think they'll have anything RE to talk about at E3? I feel like some kind of PS4 re-release is imminent even if the Gaikai stuff takes off.

Having to wait til August for Evil Within suuuuuucks.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
RE5 coop is the only time I have enjoyed playing a game online with strangers.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rookersh posted:

PC RE4/6 are the best versions.

Console RE5 is the best version ( for lost in nightmares/the fact they'll keep working after July. )

Didn't PC RE4 have the crappy PS2 cutscenes? I remember seeing patches to put in the better quality GCN cutscenes.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Didn't PC RE4 have the crappy PS2 cutscenes? I remember seeing patches to put in the better quality GCN cutscenes.

Shoulda played it on Dolphin.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Excels posted:

Shoulda played it on Dolphin.

That needs to be the canon death "animation" for every RE boss.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe on the original PC version, but the Ultimate Edition has everything in-engine (except for Separate Ways, but it's got the crappy PS2 FMV on all platforms).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't feel like I wasted my money, but ultimately I just didn't feel like the game fit me. I felt the controls were too clunky and weirdly complex, and there were too many annoying sections (I got to chapter 2 in Leon's campaign and chapter 5 in Chris'), but if you can get the controls, and if you can power through annoying bits, absolutely.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry, just in such an RE mood lately I got a parade of topics going on in my head.

What are people's thoughts on RE3? RE3 was my first Resident Evil game so I had a lot of love for it for a long time and considered it the best. Then I revisited it a couple years ago and...well, I don't like it much anymore.

There seems to be a fundamental break in opinions on the old RE games and I take the side that says exploring is the coolest part of the game. There's so much backtracking and solving of puzzles that you better like the Spencer Mansion, you better like the Police Station, or you are just going to hate your life. And I do enjoy those environments. I do enjoy just plodding through them and examining all the cool prerendered backgrounds.

But you can't do that in RE3. Destroyed Raccoon City be awesome to take your time through like the previous games but you can't because you know Nemesis is gonna pop out and beat the poo poo out of you. His presence removes one of the most enjoyable aspects of the classic RE experience for me.

But some others I know thing it's better because it makes things more tense and scary and whatever You're constantly on edge because you know he's gonna appear and wreck your poo poo.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry, just in such an RE mood lately I got a parade of topics going on in my head.

What are people's thoughts on RE3? RE3 was my first Resident Evil game so I had a lot of love for it for a long time and considered it the best. Then I revisited it a couple years ago and...well, I don't like it much anymore.

There seems to be a fundamental break in opinions on the old RE games and I take the side that says exploring is the coolest part of the game. There's so much backtracking and solving of puzzles that you better like the Spencer Mansion, you better like the Police Station, or you are just going to hate your life. And I do enjoy those environments. I do enjoy just plodding through them and examining all the cool prerendered backgrounds.

But you can't do that in RE3. Destroyed Raccoon City be awesome to take your time through like the previous games but you can't because you know Nemesis is gonna pop out and beat the poo poo out of you. His presence removes one of the most enjoyable aspects of the classic RE experience for me.

But some others I know thing it's better because it makes things more tense and scary and whatever You're constantly on edge because you know he's gonna appear and wreck your poo poo.

I loved RE3, the story was not particularly important overall and felt like a side story. I liked Nemesis for the shaking up of the formula. The first time he followed me through a door I nearly poo poo myself, Resident Evil monsters can't do that! He didn't always appear at the same time on later playthroughs, which was good for keeping you on your toes.

I really liked the live selection bits too, where you have to make a choice (Oh poo poo, Nemesis is coming. Hide in the basement or blow his rear end up with a lamp and leaking gas!). The mild amount of branching paths that introduced (and you got a few more depending on what order you completed objectives) was neat and gave you good reasons to replay.

gently caress that water quality puzzle though, I drew the answers on the manual so I didn't have to suffer as much on replays.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

The Dark Id posted:

Oh Christ, I forgot about Code Veronica. No gently caress that game as well.

The only good thing about CV is the god-tier knife. That thing is so ridiculously over-powered that there's basically no reason to ever use your gun against zombies.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I think two-thirds of people who played Code: Veronica unloaded all their weapons on Tyrant at the end of Claire's part, saved, and then discovered that the actual boss fight was on the plane, and you were out of ammo. :negative:

I think the worst part about Code: Veronica to me was that I waited so long to play it. My parents bought me a PS1 roughly around the time PS2 came out. RE 2 and 3 were two of the few games I owned and I played them obsessively. I had always known code Veronica was the end of the story, but I still didn't acquire a PS2 until well after 4 was out and I had lived on my own for a while. I picked up Code Veronica and 4 at the same time and refused to play 4 until I finished code: Veronica and god drat was the difference stark. C:V was boring, slow and had a terrible story that was also somehow full of itself. Resident Evil 4 was a dumb action movie oozing atmosphere and phenomenal goddamn gameplay and The Merchant all WALCOME STRAYNJAH and Leon flipping his hair and making terrible puns and holy poo poo. I've played and enjoyed both styles of Resident Evil since I was a kid, but playing those games side-by-side made it clear that that gameplay transition needed to happen. My roommates played 4 first and kept trying to convince me to quit C:V because it was obviously frustrating me but no, I have to restart the game because my save file was hosed because I was out of ammo in the goddamn airplane hangar I just need to find out what happens :smith:

(Spoiler alert: what happens is terrible and not fun to get to, also there is a whiney Canadian child who vaguely resembles Leonardo DiCaprio.)

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 15, 2014

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Darkside Chronicles segment of Code Veronica was more fun and suspenseful than the actual game itself was so I'd just go through that if you want the gist of it. Steve's also much less of a tool in Darkside too.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The RE4 playthrough on Sw1tcher is pretty entertaining. TBFP can be very "hit or miss" with its humor but I like this run since Pat knows this game inside and out.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Oh, a word of advice on Darkside Chronicles that I just can't resist: If you're doing two-player, most bosses can be stun locked by having players alternate grenades tosses. Killing Nemesis pretty much before he has a chance to do anything is absolutely hilarious.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Backhand posted:

Oh, a word of advice on Darkside Chronicles that I just can't resist: If you're doing two-player, most bosses can be stun locked by having players alternate grenades tosses. Killing Nemesis pretty much before he has a chance to do anything is absolutely hilarious.

grenade hitstun op.

capcom pls nerf.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This is a long shot but have Capcom said anything about bringing RE5 Gold to PC since GFWL going under will render the current PC port basically unplayable?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is a long shot but have Capcom said anything about bringing RE5 Gold to PC since GFWL going under will render the current PC port basically unplayable?

They ain't said poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's kind of weird to think about how many games from the last generation are going to be crippled or even potentially unplayable in a few years compared to stuff from the previous eras where it was mostly just a matter of emulation. I'm sure people will figure out how to get around that but it's a little sad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Unless I'm missing something, GFWL games should still be playable if you don't sign in, you just can't do multiplayer or get achievements.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Unless I'm missing something, GFWL games should still be playable if you don't sign in, you just can't do multiplayer or get achievements.

Some games won't let you save unless you're signed in.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hakkesshu posted:

Do you really want to play RE5 without co-op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I really just wanna play co-op. Also no DLC on PC..

My friend and I just settled on re-buying it on PS3 though.