Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Discount Trombones posted:

Titan Towers, probably.

"This guy is doing a great job of promoting our brand, but we just can't get behind a shirt mark."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Daniel Bryan posted:

The '98 Survivor Series was THE DEADLY GAME. No Chance In Hell was the tagline and theme for the craptastic '99 Royal Rumble (because Austin had no chance to win it). It became the Corporation's theme not long after, and Vince kept it after the Corporation disbanded.

Yeah, I honestly can't believe I got this one mixed up. I knew what I did wrong as soon as I read the quote in your post.

I forget, did they use any music for Vince before he had No Chance in Hell?

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, I honestly can't believe I got this one mixed up. I knew what I did wrong as soon as I read the quote in your post.

I forget, did they use any music for Vince before he had No Chance in Hell?

I seem to remember hearing come out to the Wrestlemania song once ("pump it up pump it up", "who will survive?", that one) when he was an announcer. Did I dream that?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

magnum_valentino posted:

I seem to remember hearing come out to the Wrestlemania song once ("pump it up pump it up", "who will survive?", that one) when he was an announcer. Did I dream that?

That was Linda's music, sans lyrics, so maybe.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What was in the report to HR? "Offending clothing" or something?

Yeah, it was "Offensive attire." I explained the joke to HR, and they laughed and then said "eh, just don't wear it here, but I agree, this is dumb. Just keep the peace."

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Where do you work where a wrestling shirt is both appropriate and inappropriate at the same time?

It was a video game company I worked for. I'm not saying that makes more or less sense.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Yeah, it was "Offensive attire." I explained the joke to HR, and they laughed and then said "eh, just don't wear it here, but I agree, this is dumb. Just keep the peace."

btw they were definitely appeasing you and agreed more with the complainant just fyi

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yes, I'm sarcastically certain that doing nothing about a complaint and laughing about it is a sure sign that they really did care and were secretly conspiring to do something about it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that's not what I said you're being hyperbolic!!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

2 stars means average, nothing special. Just a match.

Taker had a load of poo poo and bad matches.

if you randomly pick a match from the first half of his career there's a big chance it'll be bad

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

epitasis posted:

btw they were definitely appeasing you and agreed more with the complainant just fyi

I have no doubts that I was being appeased. HR's duty isn't to tell people to suck it up, after all. I didn't want to ACTUALLY offend anybody, but so it goes.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

epitasis posted:

that's not what I said you're being hyperbolic!!

What does a time chamber have to do with anything?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I have no doubts that I was being appeased. HR's duty isn't to tell people to suck it up, after all. I didn't want to ACTUALLY offend anybody, but so it goes.

ok cool

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
I'm going to be on a long car ride tomorrow, give me your favorite matches

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

These are by no means the best matches of all time, but here are some good ones off the top of my head.

Shield vs Wyatts Elimination Chamber 14.
Daniel Bryan vs Seth Rollins
Austin vs The Rock WM 17
Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels (IYH BADD BLODD '97) Hell in the Cell
Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels WM 25 & 26
John Cena vs Seth Rollins on a random raw from earlier this year (might have been Smackdown)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

On the Network?

Flair's 5* trilogy with Steamboat - Chi-Town Rumble '89, Clash of the Champions VI, WrestleWar '89
Austin vs Bret I Quit match at WM 13
HBK vs Razor Ramon ladder match at WM 10
The entirety of Great American Bash '89

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 15, 2014

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

HBK/HHH/Benoit Mania 20 and Backlash 04
Brock/Taker Hell In A Cell, No Mercy 02
Brock/Cena Extreme Rules 2012
Flair/Steamboat Clash 6
Punk/Bryan Over The Limit 2012
Ultimo Dragon/Dean Malenko and Rey/Liger Starrcade 96
The Edge and Christian/Dudleyz/Hardyz trilogy: Mania 2000, Summerslam 2000, Mania X-7

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Hackenschmidt vs Gotch. See if you can get it on the original cave drawings.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Have any big wrestlers refused to take anyone's finisher? Like Tombstone/Pedigree or something?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Have any big wrestlers refused to take anyone's finisher? Like Tombstone/Pedigree or something?

Well, Austin literally couldn't take the Tombstone.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Bret Hart v Mr Perfect, Summerslam 91
Bret Hart v British Bulldog, Summerslam 92
Bret Hart v Roddy Piper, WM VIII
Bret Hart v Owen Hart, Summerslam 94

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Not saying poo poo that's already been said:

92 Royal Rumble match

2001 Royal Rumble match

Cactus Jack vs HHH street fight at 00' Royal Rumble.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

I have had this list saved for a while:

https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/mookieghana-prowrestlingstatistics/four_stars_plus_ppv#TOC-INVASION-2001

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Some more.

CM Punk vs Cena MITB '11
CM Punk vs Cena Raw 2/25/13 (I think)
CM Punk vs Undertaker WM 29
CM Punk vs Brock Lesnar Summerslam 13
Daniel Bryan vs Cena Summerslam 13.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Funk v Flair I quit match Clash of the Champions IX
Tully v Magnum TA - Starrcade 85
Koko B Ware v Greg Valentine - 2013

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Shane McMahon vs. pane of glass and concrete floor, KotR '01

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I Before E posted:

The Edge and Christian/Dudleyz/Hardyz trilogy: Mania 2000, Summerslam 2000, Mania X-7
The Summerslam match has one of my favourite bits of commentary in it, at the end. JR is cussing the result because "the biggest cry-babies in the match retained the titles" and Lawler calls him out on it, saying that anyone who came out on top of a match like that deserves credit (to which JR grudgingly agrees)

I really liked that it was the face commentator showing their bias, and the heel who was playing it straighter. Maybe this happens all the time, but normally I associate the face commentator with being "right" all the time

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Orton/Benoit, Summerslam 2004 (skip the rest of the PPV)
Edge/Benoit, Backlash 2005

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

St Evan Echoes posted:

The Summerslam match has one of my favourite bits of commentary in it, at the end. JR is cussing the result because "the biggest cry-babies in the match retained the titles" and Lawler calls him out on it, saying that anyone who came out on top of a match like that deserves credit (to which JR grudgingly agrees)

I really liked that it was the face commentator showing their bias, and the heel who was playing it straighter. Maybe this happens all the time, but normally I associate the face commentator with being "right" all the time

I think this bit of JR/King interplay comes from the way JR calls matches without knowing what's going to happen, or who's going over. He doesn't have all week to think of how to react, he just reacts the way he feels at the time.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Luigi Thirty posted:

On the Network?

Flair's 5* trilogy with Steamboat - Chi-Town Rumble '89, Clash of the Champions VI, WrestleWar '89

Okay, if I had to pick one, which one?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

I really like Wrestlewar since its a great match and leads to the amazing flair angle.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

My personal favorite is the 2/3 falls match during Clash of the Champions 6. It's a loving amazing near 60 minute match.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Is this Angle shoot recent?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ub0gDH9AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rBH-OuNwi0

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I don't know if you mean "big" by size or starpower, but King Kong Bundy refused to submit to a sharpshooter from Bret. Said something like "I've never given up in my career and I'm not about to start." X-Pac put Visine in his water bottle for that.

Backlund refused to take the Razor's Edge at WM9.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cromulent posted:

Bret said in his autobiography that the Edge isn't a very safe move (or at least it's really hard on your neck even if done safely), so I can understand why an advanced-years Backlund would say no to it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Warrior/Savage from Wrestlemania 7. For a Warrior match, that's some shockingly nice storytelling.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Savage vs Steamboat WM 3.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Cromulent posted:

I don't know if you mean "big" by size or starpower, but King Kong Bundy refused to submit to a sharpshooter from Bret. Said something like "I've never given up in my career and I'm not about to start." X-Pac put Visine in his water bottle for that.

What was the finish then?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

What was the finish then?
For Razor/Backlund, Razor just pinned him with a quick cradle out of nowhere.

I don't know the finish to the Bret/Bundy match.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

It says in the description: Filmed April 19th 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

bobkatt013 posted:

I really like Wrestlewar since its a great match and leads to the amazing flair angle.

Commissar Ken posted:

My personal favorite is the 2/3 falls match during Clash of the Champions 6. It's a loving amazing near 60 minute match.

Ha, I'd go for the first one, just because of the ending. It was so cathartic.