Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

JaySB posted:

If I'm awake that early it's cause I haven't been to sleep yet…

I don't go to many in SD due to it being at 7am Saturday and I am probably hungover still so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

JaySB posted:

Might as well put this one here too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VniZR_7iivU

Gott im Himmel! That is an inspiration.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
My car from a drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV0xFNpv-aA

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 15, 2022

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, I thought my wagon's exhaust had an annoying drone on the highway. :rimshot:

Me and my Miata were having a good time yesterday, but it's raining today and she started to leak on me.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 3, 2014

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
my beater 7-series.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Nait Sirhc posted:

my beater 7-series.

My brother had one of these. Drove it for over 50k miles before getting rid of it and spent less on maintenance than I did on my Prelude in the same time frame. I don't even know man, dude got so lucky. Cooled center console was pro as hell though

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Paint looks kinda washed out because it's a lovely Nexus 4 pic and I didn't bother to fix the saturation.

blk fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 5, 2014

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Carteret posted:

The first gen were most assuredly MF, if you read the link.

The mid-engined Renault 5 Turbos were most certainly not front wheel drive, in either iteration.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

blk posted:

Paint looks kinda washed out because it's a lovely Nexus 4 pic and I didn't bother to fix the saturation.

Yet you desaturated the rest of it?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

D C posted:

Yet you desaturated the rest of it?

My artistic attention span lasts about 30 seconds

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Almost got a rollover today

:awesome:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Almost got a rollover today

:awesome:
Hah, clever. Wish I'd thought of that when I hit it.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
Went From:

To:
2006 BMW 325I, now I wont feel so out of place when pulling into a worklot of BMW/Mercedes/GT500s/Jaguar XF's
This could be the start of a new love hate relationship.

My dad always told me never date a black car, but I'm in love. :a2m:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

what kind of speed did you reach before you came down a bit for the curve? that drone seemed to rocket forward

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I took some nasty pics of my dirty FiST.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 13, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
This is a good looking car but the wheels help an awful lot. I really like the way they fill out the wheel well.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Coolnezzz posted:

I took some nasty pics of my dirty FiST.

That's pretty much how mine looks all the time, why pay extra for the grey wheels when I have all that free brake dust???

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Voltage posted:

That's pretty much how mine looks all the time, why pay extra for the grey wheels when I have all that free brake dust???

I'm so glad VW sorted their poo poo wtr to brake dust. My 04.5 GLI would turn the front wheels black in 2-3 days after a wash. The Golf doesn't seem to even acknowledge that the brakes have dust.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Isn't the solution as easy as using ceramic pads?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

_firehawk posted:

Isn't the solution as easy as using ceramic pads?

Yes, but getting that past the beancounters isn't easy.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

DesperateDan posted:

what kind of speed did you reach before you came down a bit for the curve? that drone seemed to rocket forward
I let off after shifting into 2nd to let him catch up, maybe 45-50mph. Then got back on it, which reminds me...

Vitamin J on the first page posted:

This is my daily driver:

I love it. It's a '96 with '99 shock hats (more travel), cut springs (oh ya slice em), intake, header, and cat back. Just put in some Hawk HPS pads today. Near-future plans include a ported '99 Miata cylinder head with '99 Miata pistons (10.5:1). Long term plans include a roll bar and turbo/blower. That'll about do it.

(It's a 5-speed, OP)

It's turbocharged now with a T25 at 9psi.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Vitamin J posted:

I let off after shifting into 2nd to let him catch up, maybe 45-50mph. Then got back on it, which reminds me...

LSD?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Yep, factory Torsen.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Vitamin J posted:

Why so low? They're awfully fun once you hit 15psi+

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

...Until the transmission breaks. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Larrymer posted:

...Until the transmission breaks. :v:

I tore second gear out of my black '92, I never had any problems with the '99 trans I replaced it with. The red '90 pushed 18psi+ and it never had a problem with a stock transmission of unknown year.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm posted it before but what a cool looking car - 1980 928

Going to daily drive the spaceship for a while. Sure it gets ~1/4 the mpg of the golf but who cares.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Why so low? They're awfully fun once you hit 15psi+
Still a baby plus I haven't gotten it on a dyno yet. Waiting to fix a few issues with it being a 200k Miata now, and need to replace the 2.25" exhaust, then it will be turned up. 9psi at my elevation is only like 5-6psi at sea level as well.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Vitamin J posted:

9psi at my elevation is only like 5-6psi at sea level as well.

I don't think that's how wastegates work.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

These showed up today:

Now I need to get an alignment and (more importantly) to wash my car before I put them on. Then I can post actual pictures.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Going to daily drive the spaceship for a while. Sure it gets ~1/4 the mpg of the golf but who cares.

It converts most of that fuel into glorious noise.

So worth it.

(until you need parts)

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Fucknag posted:

I don't think that's how wastegates work.
Gonna explain how you think they work?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Motronic posted:

It converts most of that fuel into glorious noise.

So worth it.

(until you need parts)

Glorious noise, plentiful torque and destruction of worn out tires in the rain. Driving it for a bit to work out any remaining bugs before putting it up for sale.

With the rain we had this morning I had a great time getting to work.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Vitamin J posted:

Gonna explain how you think they work?

Boost pressure pushes against a fixed spring tension; the wastegate will not open until that pressure is reached.

It'll take longer to spool, sure, since it has to spin faster to pressurize the thinner air, but unless something is very wrong it should still hit the same absolute pressure. That means the same air mass into the cylinders, same fuel burn, same power on boost.

Why do you think some of the very first applications for superchargers (both belt- and turbine-driven) were for high-altitude aircraft engines?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

smax posted:

These showed up today:

Now I need to get an alignment and (more importantly) to wash my car before I put them on. Then I can post actual pictures.

Keep em off the curbs and they will last a long time. My Petrols are still as shiney as the day I got em 32k miles ago. Be sure to wax em too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Fucknag posted:

Boost pressure pushes against a fixed spring tension; the wastegate will not open until that pressure is reached.

It'll take longer to spool, sure, since it has to spin faster to pressurize the thinner air, but unless something is very wrong it should still hit the same absolute pressure. That means the same air mass into the cylinders, same fuel burn, same power on boost.

Why do you think some of the very first applications for superchargers (both belt- and turbine-driven) were for high-altitude aircraft engines?

Right, forced induction engines suffere less at altitude than NA engines.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fucknag posted:

Technically you still have atmospheric pressure in addition to the spring, which at a higher altitude could influence your peak boost numbers, although not as severely as was mentioned earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

drgitlin posted:

Right, forced induction engines suffere less at altitude than NA engines.

They shouldnt suffer at all