Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, yes it does. I thought there was a good possibility the pricing sources are significantly inflated and this helps to confirm that.

Cool, glad that was useful. Also be aware that some pricing will be off in the other direction because of demand for "hot" books like the New 52 Batman #1 that enraged this thread a week ago. Two goons have already made me offers topping $100 for just the standard cover and it shouldn't be more than a $10 book due to 5 printings, a $1 Essentials reprint and being available in two collected editions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://www.ehow.com/how_7211224_insure-comic-books.html

the key takeaway from that link is that many (most?) homeowner's or renter's insurance policies specifically exclude coverage for "collectibles" including comic books. It's dumb that they suggest having your entire collection CGC appraised, though, that'd be ruinously expensive unless your collection is like, twenty gold and silver age comics and that's it.

e. Yeah I assume that like, when the Avengers movie came out (and was good), that pushed valuations of early Avengers issues up a notch. I'm not sure if the opposite works the same way: did the various terrible Punisher films make issues of Punisher go down in value?

I think there's also generational things and the nostalgia factor. My generation is hitting its 40s, we generally have a lot more disposable income, and we go out and try to buy the things we had but lost, or couldn't have, when we were kids. As an example, a friend of mine goes out and blows more money than he should on buying the metal Transformers toys that were a big deal when we were kids.

I don't know if that will mean my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #s 1-3 will keep going up in value as people who watched the cartoon as kids start hitting their prime earning years or not, though... maybe all they'll want is the plastic toys or something.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 15, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

That's for a "collection" and not too applicable to a pile of Marvel comics from the last five years and a full set of Hellboy and Cerebus TPBs. It would be pointless to have an appraiser come out.

Though a rough calculation says it might be a few thousand dollars to replace and I should really make sure my policy is up to spec between comics, computers, and other crap I own (been a few years since I looked at it).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Your local comic shop can might also do appraisals. We do it and charge $25 an hour. $30 if I have to come to you. Your insurance agent should have forms for your collectible items as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uthor posted:

That's for a "collection" and not too applicable to a pile of Marvel comics from the last five years and a full set of Hellboy and Cerebus TPBs. It would be pointless to have an appraiser come out.

Though a rough calculation says it might be a few thousand dollars to replace and I should really make sure my policy is up to spec between comics, computers, and other crap I own (been a few years since I looked at it).

For sure. I mean, typically in a total loss scenario, the insurance company is going to look up on an actuarial table what they think an average person of your demographic's house full of stuff is worth and then pay you that. If you look around your home and figure your total amount of stuff is pretty average, then maybe you don't need to worry.

But not all insurance losses are catastrophic total loss. Single-room fires are a thing that happen (more often than your whole place burning down, in fact)... and you can also have water damage from a burst water main or sudden roof leak, or smoke damage from a fire in someone else's unit, theft, and so on.

It makes sense to document everything you have so that you can extract from your insurance company exactly what your stuff was worth, and if your policy specifically excludes collectibles, it makes sense to add a policy to cover your belongings.

I'm a proponent of being insured. I live in California and I'm a homeowner, and I'm surprised how many people I meet who don't have earthquake insurance. They're nuts. I guess people just expect that when the Big One hits, FEMA or someone will bail them out. But my policy is very inexpensive (about $550 a year) and I live a quarter mile from a significant fault line. It's a high-deductible policy, but the payout would be enough that I could afford to sell the lot even with just a wrecked house on it, combine it with the payout, and pay off my entire mortgage with it with some left over. People who don't have insurance could wind up in limbo for years waiting for the government to bail them out, and if they can't hold out, they may be forced to default, sell their property at a terrible loss, or otherwise be hosed.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Or the insurance company can just not pay out for a major disaster, another likely outcome.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Or the insurance company can just not pay out for a major disaster, another likely outcome.

It is possible. After the Northridge quake, California created a special privately-funded but government-controlled agency called the California Earthquake Authority. Insurance companies can voluntarily be members and sell through it a basic policy; the money from all member policies is pooled. So, in theory, a major quake in southern california, or in the bay area, or whatever would tap into the pool which would theoretically cover the claims from within the affected area. This is a better arrangement then just going with a random insurer who might be overexposed to the affected area and thus be unable to pay out all its claims after a major earthquake.

But the CEA isn't backed up or guaranteed by the state, so while it's an improvement it's not an absolute guarantee. The most likely scenario where my policy wouldn't pay out would be a truly catastrophic quake that affected millions of homes, though, and in that case, it's more likely that a federal bailout would be available.

The more common scenario (which people tend to ignore) is a smaller, more localized earthquake that causes major structural damage to homes in a small area, and then minor damage to a wider area. Since the typical catastrophic policy has a 15% deductible, people who only had a few tens of thousands of dollars' damage wouldn't be filing claims, so the CEA pool should be able to pay out to everyone who has a major claim. This is a scenario that I think is certainly worth $550 a year to me to have access to, especially since the chance of a major earthquake on my local fault (the one I'm a quarter mile from) in the next thirty years is about 3%, but the one I'm about 20 miles from is 30%, and the overall chance for the Bay Area is 63%.

There are no guarantees, but I think even with the non-zero chance that my insurer goes bust rather than pay out after a major earthquake, I'm better off insured than not.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
What has Kid Apocalypse been up to since Uncanny X-Force?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

sleepingbuddha posted:

What has Kid Apocalypse been up to since Uncanny X-Force?

He basically just hangs out at the Jean Grey school and shows up as a (now) main character in Wolverine and the X-Men. The current storyline is based around the future and Phoenix stuff and Evan possibly turning evil.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Do the new Marvel Knights books take place in 616?

I'm almost positive they are elseworlds. I've only read the Spider-Man one though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I'm almost positive they are elseworlds. I've only read the Spider-Man one though.

I read the first Wolverine one and it just seemed like any old Wolverine standalone. Beast was there in what looked like his latest mutation form, he teams up with Rogue and Kitty, there wasn't anything that would indicate it was in a different universe.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

I read the first Wolverine one and it just seemed like any old Wolverine standalone. Beast was there in what looked like his latest mutation form, he teams up with Rogue and Kitty, there wasn't anything that would indicate it was in a different universe.

I thought you were talking about the ones that came out a few months ago?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I thought you were talking about the ones that came out a few months ago?

I read all my Marvel comics through Unlimited so I live in a comics world of a few months ago.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rhyno posted:

For what it's worth, Constantine appeared in Green Lantern #81 and in a reference page of Hitman. Otherwise he was Vertigo only until the Brightest Day Aftermath mini.

There was a Paul Dini Zatanna one shot he had a major part in in about 2007/8, maybe?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Disco Pope posted:

There was a Paul Dini Zatanna one shot he had a major part in in about 2007/8, maybe?

Zatanna was allowed to crossover with Constantine since she was a big part of his back story and past.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a Q: So I'm hype as gently caress about the Flash show and it makes me want to read some Flash comics, but DC doesn't have a digital back catalogue service like Marvel's. How come? Are their licensing issues that Marvel doesn't have or something? Seems to me like the quickest way to lose in a market where there are only two competitors is to let the other guy do something you aren't doing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Here's a Q: So I'm hype as gently caress about the Flash show and it makes me want to read some Flash comics, but DC doesn't have a digital back catalogue service like Marvel's. How come? Are their licensing issues that Marvel doesn't have or something? Seems to me like the quickest way to lose in a market where there are only two competitors is to let the other guy do something you aren't doing.

well there is comixology and it has a bunch of great Wally comics.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

DC refuses to do anything Marvel does.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

well there is comixology and it has a bunch of great Wally comics.

Sure, sure, but I'm talking about a subscription service. I know I can go out and buy individual books either physically or digitally but at the rate I read books it gets real expensive real fast.

Basically why isn't there DC Unlimited?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Sure, sure, but I'm talking about a subscription service. I know I can go out and buy individual books either physically or digitally but at the rate I read books it gets real expensive real fast.

Basically why isn't there DC Unlimited?

Marvel does it and therefore DC wants nothing to do with it. See also recap pages, a competent trade program, marriages, and more than a handful of books worth reading.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Marvel does it and therefore DC wants nothing to do with it. See also recap pages, a competent trade program, marriages, and more than a handful of books worth reading.

Cough cough Spiderman cough cough

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well, I think Reed and Sue are the only Marvel marriage now. Spidey sold his to the devil, Storm and Panther split during AvX, Mockingbird was a skrull when she marries/divorced Hawkeye. I can't think of any other Marvel marriages. Maybe Kazaar and Shana? Black Bolt and Medusa?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Is it literally a spite thing? Because as far as I can tell outside of Batman, Marvel is crushing DC and you'd think someone would go, erm hey, maybe we should see why they are kicking the poo poo out of us.

p.s. do I have to buy comics through Comixology on their site and then it will DL through the app or what?

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 15, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Soonmot posted:

Well, I think Reed and Sue are the only Marvel marriage now. Spidey sold his to the devil, Storm and Panther split during AvX, Mockingbird was a skrull when she marries/divorced Hawkeye. I can't think of any other Marvel marriages. Maybe Kazaar and Shana? Black Bolt and Medusa?

Yeah the marriage thing is a pretty ridiculous thing to point out when Marvel have basically just the Fantastic Four whom they seem to be breaking up.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
How could you forget Northstar and... and... that guy? Whats-his-name?

There's always Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, mind.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Soonmot posted:

Cage and Drew? If they aren't actually married they may as well be.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

How could you forget Northstar and... and... that guy? Whats-his-name?

There's always Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, mind.

I cannot believe I forgot Luke and Jessica. Also Deadpool and monster lady.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Soonmot posted:

Cap Britain and Megan.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zachack posted:

Cage and Drew? If they aren't actually married they may as well be.

Cage and Jones are married, and they got married by the best person

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought DC historically had a different rights structure that would make something like unlimited more difficult. Not impossible and for recent stuff it should be identical but for some reason I think older Marvel stuff has the rights sitting with just Marvel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Soonmot posted:

Also Northstar and what's his face.

Fake edit: gently caress beaten

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah the marriage thing is a pretty ridiculous thing to point out when Marvel have basically just the Fantastic Four whom they seem to be breaking up.

That is like every fourth F4 storyline tho.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

zoux posted:

p.s. do I have to buy comics through Comixology on their site and then it will DL through the app or what?

On iOS? Yes. Amazon just bought them and got rid of the in app store so Apple doesn't get a cut.

On Android, you can buy through the app. They changed the store to bypass Google Wallet, but we're able to stick their own store into the app.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Soonmot posted:

Jessica has been effectively shunted off into obscurity since she's a Bendis only character so it's not too hard to forget.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Black Bolt and Medusa?

....and horse alien, and fish alien, and ..... other aliens.

Also, the name Blackagar Boltagon is the worst and best thing in comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jessica's been all "OMG MY BABY WHERES MY BABY" since Civil War so I'm glad she's not around anymore. I didn't figure Bendis would let such a great character get turned into a one note bore fest but he wrote a bunch of the poo poo so I don't know!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Jessica's been all "OMG MY BABY WHERES MY BABY" since Civil War so I'm glad she's not around anymore. I didn't figure Bendis would let such a great character get turned into a one note bore fest but he wrote a bunch of the poo poo so I don't know!

He is the only person who has ever wrote her.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Really? Well then that's extra what the gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

She's appeared in Mighty Avengers at least three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She's not bad in the new Mighty Avengers but she's also not a major character.