Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

She's not bad in the new Mighty Avengers but she's also not a major character.

Last time I check MA was not written by Bendis which is what my point was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Also wasn't she in the original Young Avengers? But yeah, I can't think of a lot of non-Bendis appearances for her.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Also Northstar and what's his face.

Fake edit: gently caress beaten

This one is the funniest in regards to DC loving up. There was media surrounding Northstar getting married and a lot of positive press. DC could have done the same thing. It was pretty much set up for them completely. Instead they suck so hard that they nixed the whole thing due to their stupid policy which ended up biting them in the arse as people thought they were against gay people getting married.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zoux posted:

Is it literally a spite thing?
There's incompetence in the mix too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Okay 5% of her appearances are not Bendis, but my point was that Bendis is the one who created her and made her a great character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

This one is the funniest in regards to DC loving up. There was media surrounding Northstar getting married and a lot of positive press. DC could have done the same thing. It was pretty much set up for them completely. Instead they suck so hard that they nixed the whole thing due to their stupid policy which ended up biting them in the arse as people thought they were against gay people getting married.

Who were they going to have get married?

Also, who are the gay DC characters?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Batwomen and Maggie Sawyer. It is why J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman are gone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Earth 2 Green Lantern, N52 Batwoman, Pre-Flashpoint Obsidian.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Batwoman and Sawyer (I think her name is Sawyer).

edit: Beaten

edit 2: Basically the writers had been working towards Kane and Sawyer getting married which would be a big deal because lesbian comic book character in a mainstream comic is getting married to her partner. DC remembers that they have an absolutely no-one is to get married ever rule and tells the writers no. Writers are displeased with this and publicly leave the book. Even though this idiotic editorial rule applies to all marriages across the board, the public at large hear about DC not wanting two gay characters to get married and there was a bit of blowback thrown at DC's way.
I swear DC is so loving adamant against marriage at this point that for their next big event the big baddie should be a loving wedding.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 15, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did they nix the marriage through killing one of the characters, or just editorially?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Did they nix the marriage through killing one of the characters, or just editorially?

Editorially.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Batwoman was going to get gay married to a cop but DC nixed it and did it so abruptly the writer and artist quit, and it looked like DC was objecting to the gay thing at first.

It turns out they just hate all marraiges, the King and Queen of Atlantis aren't even loving married.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Batwoman was going to get gay married to a cop but DC nixed it and did it so abruptly the writer and artist quit, and it looked like DC was objecting to the gay thing at first.

It turns out they just hate all marraiges, the King and Queen of Atlantis aren't even loving married.

Is Aqualad a bastard :ohdear:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Is Aqualad a bastard :ohdear:

What Aqualad?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

What Aqualad?

That breakout character from the Young Justice cartoon who also appeared in that one event comic where.....nevermind. Nu52 forever!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

That breakout character from the Young Justice cartoon who also appeared in that one event comic where.....nevermind. Nu52 forever!

He wasn't Aquaman's son anyways.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

He wasn't Aquaman's son anyways.

Yea, I remember that from Brightest Day. It's been ages since I saw Young Justice though. What was his origin in the cartoon show?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

Renee Montoya too, but I think she's one of the many people murdered by Barry Allen.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Now I'm just waiting for the revelation that Thomas and Martha Wayne weren't married.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Yea, I remember that from Brightest Day. It's been ages since I saw Young Justice though. What was his origin in the cartoon show?

Essentially the same but he was raised in Atlantis instead of on land.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

Most annoyingly, they said they would finish the arc (2-3 more issues), but DC told them not to bother and put on a new team and started a new arc before it could be wrapped up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Now I'm just waiting for the revelation that Thomas and Martha Wayne weren't married.

They're dead so that's okay. Ditto for Ma and Pa Kent.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Uthor posted:

Most annoyingly, they said they would finish the arc (2-3 more issues), but DC told them not to bother and put on a new team and started a new arc before it could be wrapped up.

Weren't they also building up Killer Croc in the book, and then told them they could not use him?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Weren't they also building up Killer Croc in the book, and then told them they could not use him?
What a croc!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bobkatt013 posted:

They wanted to use him in one of those "evil" books that month. There were other changes, too. The marriage thing was the last straw, and they were most annoyed by DC changing their minds last minute after approving the initial ideas.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep. They were and then DC said they couldn't use him because he was going to be put in one of those Villains month books.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhyno posted:

Renee Montoya.

:smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

Renee Montoya.

:smith:

I don't bring her up because I don't like being depressed!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all are gonna have to explain referenced to DC properties, I'm afraid.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Renee Montoya too, but I think she's one of the many people murdered by Barry Allen.
:mad:!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Y'all are gonna have to explain referenced to DC properties, I'm afraid.

Renee was an awesome character who had a big part in an awesome comic called Gotham Central. It was in this comic that it came out that she was a lesbian (thanks to Harvey Dent of all people). Anyway, she had an amazing growth as a character in that series. Then she had even more of an amazing growth as a character when she became the Question in 52, when Vic Sage died. She had a few adventures of her own as the Question, and it also came out that she used to be lovers with current Batwoman. Then Nu52 happened and she was erased from existence.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
She was also one of the few characters to originate in Batman: The Animated Series and then get migrated over to the comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Renee was an awesome character who had a big part in an awesome comic called Gotham Central. It was in this comic that it came out that she was a lesbian (thanks to Harvey Dent of all people). Anyway, she had an amazing growth as a character in that series. Then she had even more of an amazing growth as a character when she became the Question in 52, when Vic Sage died. She had a few adventures of her own as the Question, and it also came out that she used to be lovers with current Batwoman. Then Nu52 happened and she was erased from existence.

Thanks now I miss Renee and Vic an how awesome they were.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

She was also one of the few characters to originate in Batman: The Animated Series and then get migrated over to the comics.

DC has Harley so they give no fucks about anyone else.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

DC has Harley so they give no fucks about anyone else.

Poor Lock-Up...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

Poor Lock-Up...

No matter how much I try not to see it that way, that episode always comes across as "Frank Miller's Batman is a horrifying monster, actually".

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Goddamnit, I just finished the Half a Life arc in Gotham Central last night and to find out they killed off Montoya makes me never want to read a DC book again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shitshow posted:

Goddamnit, I just finished the Half a Life arc in Gotham Central last night and to find out they killed off Montoya makes me never want to read a DC book again.

She wasn't killed dude, we're just mocking how Flashpoint went down. She just doesn't exist yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although she is being used in that Gotham show so maybe they'll bring her back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Well, I think Reed and Sue are the only Marvel marriage now. Spidey sold his to the devil, Storm and Panther split during AvX, Mockingbird was a skrull when she marries/divorced Hawkeye. I can't think of any other Marvel marriages. Maybe Kazaar and Shana? Black Bolt and Medusa?

Black Bolt and Medusa are married, yeah. They're probably gonna have some relationship issues once Medusa finds out that Black Bolt's been faking his own death and crashing with the Illuminati in Wakanda rather than spending time with her, but they're married for now. In fact, Black Bolt has 5 wives after Hickman's FF :pervert: (although I don't think we've ever really seen much of the other 4)