Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

stealie72 posted:

Why do you loathe MEC?

It used to be SUPER useful for Americans to fill gear gaps when our dollar was still worth something vs the CAD.

What started as a budget friendly place to get quality outdoor gear without daytripping to REI, gear which was made in Vancouver no less, has become a yuppie fashion boutique abusing its co-op status to drive the competition out of business while raising prices. The details are too long to type out on a phone, but they're becoming pretty poo poo in all respects.

Sadly, they are the only option in town for climbing gear. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Rime posted:

What started as a budget friendly place to get quality outdoor gear without daytripping to REI, gear which was made in Vancouver no less, has become a yuppie fashion boutique abusing its co-op status to drive the competition out of business while raising prices. The details are too long to type out on a phone, but they're becoming pretty poo poo in all respects.

Ah, Ok. As you may have gathered from my mentioning the value of the USD, I haven't shopped at one since 2001 or so (my membership card is still laminated cardboard it's so old), and back then they were a good source for relatively inexpensive high-quality stuff, especially climbing gear.

I have one of their giant travel duffels (hockey bag sized) and it was maybe $50 and has survived insane amounts of travel abuse.

Sad to see they have become what so many outfitters have become.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Posting in a laundromat in Moab to say we survived our journey through the desert! It was spectacular. But holy gently caress trying to paddle against gale force headwinds through class 2 rapids was "fun". But we did a hike up above the Colorado River to the Needles area in Canyonlands NP, visited Arches, saw all sorts of amazing petroglyphs, tons more. It'll be a while before I get my photos ready for posting, I took ~1500 the past week and a half.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Picnic Princess posted:

Posting in a laundromat in Moab to say we survived our journey through the desert! It was spectacular. But holy gently caress trying to paddle against gale force headwinds through class 2 rapids was "fun". But we did a hike up above the Colorado River to the Needles area in Canyonlands NP, visited Arches, saw all sorts of amazing petroglyphs, tons more.

Awesome! I got serious redrock envy right now.

Any Catskills people have recommendations for an early June hike? I want views, and ideally something that isn't too difficult. I'm thinking either Ashokan High Point or Giant Ledges and Panther Mountain, but if you have any waterfalls or meadows or pretty lakes to throw at me, I'm open to anything.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Hey guys, I need a recommendation. I need a backpacking/ultralight tent for two people. 3 or 4 season. I need to prioritize overall packed size first, as it will go on my pack. Next is weight. I'd like to spend less than $300, if possible. There are plenty of sites and stuff to look at, but my first priority isn't listed on most sites I look at.

Edit: Is this thing any good? This about what I am looking for. Description says its a pound, why do I find that hard to believe?

http://www.amazon.com/Marmot-Traillight-2-Person-Tent/dp/B0007SMVDO/

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 11, 2014

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's 4-5 lbs.

http://marmot.com/products/details/traillight-2p

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Tarptent Double Rainbow

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

For reference I have a five pound tent and it is in no way light weight. The tarp tent is a good recommendation.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Yea I was playing with tents at an EMS and felt the difference first hand. 4+ lbs is really too much for any extensive hiking. The tarptent looks phenomenal.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Picnic Princess posted:

Posting in a laundromat in Moab to say we survived our journey through the desert! It was spectacular. But holy gently caress trying to paddle against gale force headwinds through class 2 rapids was "fun". But we did a hike up above the Colorado River to the Needles area in Canyonlands NP, visited Arches, saw all sorts of amazing petroglyphs, tons more. It'll be a while before I get my photos ready for posting, I took ~1500 the past week and a half.

Awesome, it's been a long time since I've been in southern Utah but it really is neat.

Rime posted:

Tarptent Double Rainbow

3rd'd or whatever. Only issue is single wall tents tend to collect more condensation so especially in more humid situations and two people you might get a lot on the inside walls. Just keep a pack towel in the tent with you to wipe them down if it's a problem.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've never used a Tarptent personally but I've heard that silnylon tends to sag when wet. Apparently a few quick pulls on the guy lines are all it takes to tighten the slack, just something to be aware of when buying non-freestanding tents.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

A 4-5 lb tent for 2 people is not so bad. It is only 2-2.5 lbs each. We have a 4.6 lb kelty tent and after splitting it up it really isn't that bad. What always gets me is being nice to my wife and my pack being 30 lbs and hers being 15...

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Finally arrived in Missoula late last night and got word that were going to be camping at Lindbergh Lake today. Snow looks like it will be a factor in what I'm able to hike out there as I'm without any proper gear for those conditions.
At least I can still do Sentinel. Should be a nice morning walk.

I did however get to take a nice romp through Craters of the Moon in Idaho. The lava tube caves made that a well worth while trip.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
For any Southern California hiking goons, local outfitter Adventure 16 will be holding a 'Three-peak challenge' this summer to climb the three highest local mountains; San Antonio (10,064 ft), San Gorgonio (11,503 ft), and San Jacinto (10,804 ft). They apparently have different prizes for completing the summits within specific time frames of 3-months, 3 weeks, 3 days, or 24 hours.

If you're planning on hitting these mountains anyways, may as well collect some free goodies out of it.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Hey, nice. I just did Baldy (San Antonio) a couple months ago, I wouldn't mind doing it (and the others) again.

Details at http://www.adventure16.com/content.asp?itemid=1664

BeefofAges fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 13, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Whelp, got half my TO requests in for the summer. 5 day weekend at San Josef Bay in the sun, 4 days in Athelney Pass, and 8 days solo in the Stein. Still have 11 left for making 3 day weekends (definitely going to Cathedral PP). I really really wish I could get up to Edziza and not die this year, but it's a long haul and I'm not badass enough to walk that barren moonscape solo.😕

Still going to be an awesome summer. :gizz:

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Saint Fu posted:

I've never used a Tarptent personally but I've heard that silnylon tends to sag when wet. Apparently a few quick pulls on the guy lines are all it takes to tighten the slack, just something to be aware of when buying non-freestanding tents.

Sag is definitely noticeable. In the tent I use the ceiling comes down rather low towards your head and feet and I've woken up with the mesh right over my face with a film of frozen ice on it. Make sure its night and tight before going to sleep.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
So I am new to hiking but recently moved to Colorado. I've been up to the top of Horsetooth Rock and hiked up to Bierstadt lake, among other smaller parks (Pictures if anyone wants them). I got one of those water backpack things which has been great for carrying my meager trail mix/jerky stuff I bring. I also grabbed a small first aid kit and a flashlight, just in case. Hiking has also been great for my weight loss goals thus far.

However, it has been raining quite a bit lately and all I have are decently old tennis shoes. I have weirdly wide feet, are there any decent inexpensive boots I can look for?

Any has anyone been to Estes Park or Horsetooth? I got an annual pass for Estes, would love some recommendations for good hikes for my beginner out of shape fat rear end.

edit: I also tried to do the Emerald/Nymph/Bear lake trail, but did not realize it would still have snow. Threw on a hoodie and tried to do it anyway as the snow was mostly hard packed enough that it didn't matter, but I ended up getting lost after hitting nymph lake and circled back around to Bear. I spent a good ten minutes looking at a sign before picking a direction to head back out and walked ten feet to see I had gone back to the parking lot. That's when I went to Bierstadt, which had less snow, heh. So if there are any snow hiking tricks that don't require crazy special gear that'd be cool too.

Dohaeris fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 15, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I also live in the ole CO. I user a pair of Merrill trail shoes, they are about $90 at rei (20% of coupon right now if you are a member). Also if you watch the Denver LAN thread we usually do a bunch of hiking and a few 14ers each year.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Dohaeris posted:

So I am new to hiking but recently moved to Colorado. I've been up to the top of Horsetooth Rock and hiked up to Bierstadt lake, among other smaller parks (Pictures if anyone wants them). I got one of those water backpack things which has been great for carrying my meager trail mix/jerky stuff I bring. I also grabbed a small first aid kit and a flashlight, just in case. Hiking has also been great for my weight loss goals thus far.

However, it has been raining quite a bit lately and all I have are decently old tennis shoes. I have weirdly wide feet, are there any decent inexpensive boots I can look for?

Any has anyone been to Estes Park or Horsetooth? I got an annual pass for Estes, would love some recommendations for good hikes for my beginner out of shape fat rear end.

edit: I also tried to do the Emerald/Nymph/Bear lake trail, but did not realize it would still have snow. Threw on a hoodie and tried to do it anyway as the snow was mostly hard packed enough that it didn't matter, but I ended up getting lost after hitting nymph lake and circled back around to Bear. I spent a good ten minutes looking at a sign before picking a direction to head back out and walked ten feet to see I had gone back to the parking lot. That's when I went to Bierstadt, which had less snow, heh. So if there are any snow hiking tricks that don't require crazy special gear that'd be cool too.

Most decent hiking shoes and boots start around $100. I look for vibram soles because they grip well and last a long time. I've had great luck with merrell on my feet (Moab I think) without any blisters or hot spots. They make a few different models from waterproof to breathable and low cut to high ankle.

Keep an eye out at rei for sales and clearance shoes as well as the garage sale stuff. Some waterproof and goretex stuff does a decent job of keeping your feet dry but it takes a while to dry out if it does get wet.

As for hikes check out the wild basin area of Rocky mountain national park. Hikes to ouzel and thunder lakes are awesome as well as the continental divide scramble/summit beyond thunder lake.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

The solomon trail runners I like to hike in come in wide sizes. So do several other brands.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Heading up to Kettle Moraine this weekend for some good ole fashion car camping. The weather was looking to be perfect but now it looks like it might rain a little on saturday.

The thing I forgot about is how much poo poo is involved in car camping. My pack for a weeklong trip weighs less than the food alone. Tack on some camping chairs, beer, etc and its easy to fill a small car with three people. The thing I'm excited for is to see how I sleep on my new Big Agnes pad.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is how I feel about coastal hammock camping in the shoulder season. So much crap required to not freeze to death.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Wild basin is heaven and close to Estes. Pile peak is fun but crowded as hell. Wild basin is our favorite place to hike

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I need awesome hike recommendations for the Smoky Mtns - what is not to be missed?

Also +1 on Merrell trail gloves and hike/backpack/snowshoe all of the things in RMNP.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Dohaeris posted:

I've got pretty wide feet and had a lot of trouble with tight toes on boots. I ended up getting some Keen Targhee boots and absolutely love them. Roomy toes, decent waterproofing and great traction for rocks.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Does Sail or MEC carry anything close in quality/price to the Tarpent Double Rainbow or the REI Passage 2 Tent? The REI tent seems more about what I'm after price wise since I only camp occasionally, and often with the car nearby. But I would like something I can use for overnight hikes or kayak trips.

Sail has some Eureka/MSR/Northface tents that seem like a similar style.

MEC has their branded 2 person, but I found I had to lay down diagonally to fit (about 6'). They also have the Tern 2, and MSR elixer 2. Though both seem to be the same width.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Its absolutely incredible when you try to explain Leave No Trace etiquette to people ... they instantly think you are some sort of self righteous uber hippie.

Then they see your photos and tell you how they are breathtaking and nothing like anything they've seen before but still don't understand why you cant have camp fires or pick flowers.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Verman posted:

Its absolutely incredible when you try to explain Leave No Trace etiquette to people ... they instantly think you are some sort of self righteous uber hippie.

Then they see your photos and tell you how they are breathtaking and nothing like anything they've seen before but still don't understand why you cant have camp fires or pick flowers.

Most people are extremely self-centered and can't figure out that they might be one of thousands or even millions to visit that area. One person building a fire and picking flowers is obviously a drop in the bucket, it's when everybody does it that it becomes a problem.

Plus if those things are really important to someone's enjoyment of the outdoors, there are plenty places where those activities are allowed.

I had to explain the other day why jeans are usually a dumb choice for hiking :downs:

jzilla fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 16, 2014

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

The gf, dog (65 lb), and I are looking to hike and camp overnight, but we have no equipment except for shoes. These are going to be one-day hikes, and I was hoping to get recommendations for tents, packs, and anything else we might need.

I see the Tarptent Double Rainbow is pretty highly recommended here, and I saw the REI 18 Flash too, but we'd like to do this ASAP.

Is this REI tent a solid investment?

For reference, we want to hit up Hanging Rock and later Roan Mtn.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

That REI tent is lighter than the one my wife and I currently use. Every year I say we should replace it, it weighs about 5 pounds and I "think" it is to heavy, and don't because there are more pressing needs in our gear. I would guess that tent would be more than serviceable for years to come.

pissboy
Aug 21, 2004
Yeah for Twinkies!

Donald Kimball posted:

The gf, dog (65 lb), and I are looking to hike and camp overnight, but we have no equipment except for shoes. These are going to be one-day hikes, and I was hoping to get recommendations for tents, packs, and anything else we might need.

I see the Tarptent Double Rainbow is pretty highly recommended here, and I saw the REI 18 Flash too, but we'd like to do this ASAP.

Is this REI tent a solid investment?

For reference, we want to hit up Hanging Rock and later Roan Mtn.

I own that tent and it is a comfortable fit for one person and their gear inside the tent, or two people and their gear under the rain fly. I've done a few weekends in it with rain for a few days and slept in it down into the 40s with no issues. It is a quick setup for 1 person. That being said, fitting two people and a 65lb dog inside would be uncomfortable at best I think. Maybe if you were both side sleepers it would work? I suggest going into the store and getting inside the tent and getting a feel for how small it really is.

This tent may be more what you're looking for: http://www.rei.com/product/828150/marmot-limelight-3p-tent

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The backoacking course in my program was basically a Leave No Trace course with practical experience. The final exam consisted of answering questions on those ethics. I've been passing it on to anyone I go outside with and fortunately for me they've all understood and changed their habits. Some are even bragging to me of their trash collections, it's awesome.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
I'm looking for a new sleeping bag. My current bag is nice, and rated to 30 degrees, but honestly it doesn't compress nearly as much as I'd like it to, which makes backpacking kind of annoying at times. My bag is probably a few pounds ( don't know the exact weight), and I know I could be later.

I've heard nice things about this REI bag but that seems kind of pricey. It's been a while since I bought a bag, so I'm not sure if that's a good price.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on bags? I'm trying to upgrade a lot of my gear (got a new pack and a stove last year), so suggestions are welcome. I was at South Mountain (NC) this weekend for a quick trip, and just got sick of having a larger bag.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

If you want a conventional sleeping bag, get a Western Mountaineering. Yes they're spendy, but you get what you pay for.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The Flash is fine but just make sure you're not trying to use it in temps below freezing or anything.

The Western Mountaineering bags do kick all kinds of rear end but you gotta be willing to spend for 'em. But they're warm as poo poo and light and have a great reputation and quality. Feathered Friends is another company that makes great bags but are also pricey.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Canna Happy posted:

If you want a conventional sleeping bag, get a Western Mountaineering. Yes they're spendy, but you get what you pay for.

The top-top end Marmot stuff uses the same down supplier as Western. So the Plasma series is also really good. Not that there's a huge difference in price between the two at that quality level.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
My friend and I are planning a trip to Montana around the middle of July. We will stop through Glacier National Park, but since the hikes we want to do will probably either be crowded or the campgrounds taken, we want to do a hike through a wilderness somewhere around there. Any suggestions?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Glacier won't be as bad as you think. Once you get down trail a bit, it's yours. Reserving backcountry spots can be tricky (a certain amount of backcountry campsites are reserved for 24hr walkup reservations), but you'll be able to manage, and frankly, the place is so gorgeous you won't care. I've been there at least once a year for the past four years, in all seasons. In the lower 48, there is no better.

Even "popular" day hikes (like Iceberg lake, which you should do) are nothing like you would find in other parks.

However, if you're set on other places, the Bobs (Bob Marshall Wilderness and the associated wilderness areas to the immediate south of Glacier) are what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Has anyone done a few days through the Grand Canyon? I'm gearing up for early fall but I'd like to buy my new tent/sleeping bags while the REI sale is on. I want to cut weight but not have to fear rain, sudden cold, and all the other horrors of nature out there. Recommendations between the Double Rainbow mentioned above, the REI lightweight Tent, or the MSR Hubba Hubba (or even Mother Hubba? How bad do those extra pounds get going down and up again?)?