Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Leave Martha alone shes alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Fetus Tree posted:

i love the parts with martha because im always afraid its her time to die

Absolutely, christ. The dramatic irony's so thick I'm expecting it to resolve like Greek Tragedy

Edit:

TV’s Saddest Character: Martha on The Americans

quote:

If The Americans makes brutal spy missions seem cool — and come on, it does — then Martha represents the cost of that coolness, the actual heartlessness it would require to carry on as Clark or even as Phillip. She clues us in to just how brutal and destabilized Phillip and Elizabeth's world is: Martha's a nice, normal person who wants a nice, normal life. And she seems like a ridiculous fool and complete patsy and might as well have "future murder victim" embroidered on her nice, normal officewear. Love hurts.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 16, 2014

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I wonder if her theft of the files might have saved (prolonged) her life

if philip/clark kills her he's a super big jerk though even more than he already is.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I kind of missed the part that lead to Arkady doubting Nina. I thought he was pretty much on board with her. All of the sudden he's suspecting her of still playing them.

Arkady made a comment that he doesn't have anyone backing him up if things go wrong, so he can't go out on a limb for her. He specifically told this to Oleg who has powerful family ties because he wants him to help Nina. The question is does he actually care about Nina's safety, or is he using Oleg's affection for her to sabotage his career. Nina might not actually be in danger at all, Arkady is the only one who we've heard say she is going to be deported from.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

ally_1986 posted:

lArmy dude.

Navy dude. He's a SEAL.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Navy dude. He's a SEAL.

Another hint he is navy is the homosexuality.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Baloogan posted:

Another hint he is navy is the homosexuality.

mods???

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Navy dude. He's a SEAL.

I'm Sorry but did you say seals?

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Fetus Tree posted:

what was the bit with the money thing

i thought they were telling me that oleg likes her and wanted her to fly away like a lil birdy

Yes, he was giving her the money so that if it looks like Stan will say no she can use it to escape.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

THF13 posted:

The question is does he actually care about Nina's safety, or is he using Oleg's affection for her to sabotage his career. Nina might not actually be in danger at all, Arkady is the only one who we've heard say she is going to be deported from.

Good point.

I never would have thought during his first three or four episodes that Oleg would be the character I'd be most rooting for getting out of the season alive. Hopefully he can turn the tables and him and Nina can live happily as the new heads of the Embassy.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 16, 2014

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Is anyone else upset that the murder mystery hasn't been worked on at all since, like, the fifth episode? It was just Claudia saying "oh it must've been this other guy who did it"... and then nothing else on the subject.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Junkenstein posted:

Good point.

I never would have thought during his first three or four episodes that Oleg would be the character I'd be most rooting for getting out of the season alive. Hopefully he can turn the tables and him and Nina can live happily as the new heads of the Embassy.

As much as I want Nina and Oleg to succeed I'd hate to lose Arkady. In a show where everyone is in disguises, using fake identities and having fake relations he's so refreshingly and bluntly himself. He needs no bad wig to get poo poo done.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

td4guy posted:

Is anyone else upset that the murder mystery hasn't been worked on at all since, like, the fifth episode? It was just Claudia saying "oh it must've been this other guy who did it"... and then nothing else on the subject.

Yes, for sure. I would really like to see this somehow get a better resolution in the finale.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

Yes, for sure. I would really like to see this somehow get a better resolution in the finale.

I'm sure it will be, the murder mystery aspect may have got lost, but much of the whole season still revolves around that one incident.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty sure John Carroll Lynch is the killer. Dude is super creepy in everything, even Fargo.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

THF13 posted:

Arkady made a comment that he doesn't have anyone backing him up if things go wrong, so he can't go out on a limb for her. He specifically told this to Oleg who has powerful family ties because he wants him to help Nina. The question is does he actually care about Nina's safety, or is he using Oleg's affection for her to sabotage his career. Nina might not actually be in danger at all, Arkady is the only one who we've heard say she is going to be deported from.

That's sort of my take on it, at least in as much as Arkady I'd dying Oleg up to fall. Giving a traitor money to run away, ain't no family connections going to help him out of that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Pretty sure John Carroll Lynch is the killer. Dude is super creepy in everything, even Fargo.

Thats why the Zodiac killer was never caught. He was protected by the Russians!

Woden
May 6, 2006
Oleg seems to have some master plan in place that even Arkady is unaware of. Why else would he sell Nina out like he did a few episodes ago by telling Beeman they already know about her giving him intel?

Well I guess it could have been a power play to sleep with her, but he doesn't come off as that creepy.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

He didn't sell her out, that was step one in turning Beeman.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Mu Zeta posted:

He's super pissed about only getting the Three Cent Stamp.

Woden
May 6, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

He didn't sell her out, that was step one in turning Beeman.
Ok, but he did do it without Arkady knowing right? Same with telling Nina it was do or die and then later giving her cash.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i just saw paige in a stouffers lasagne commercial

:shrug:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Fetus Tree posted:

i just saw paige in a stouffers lasagne commercial

:shrug:
Finally got Katie to put that cell phone down

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
Just finished the first episode, glad I waited this long to get into it. Now I have two full season to marathon. Seriously just aces all around, great casting and I'm genuinely intrigued by the family dynamic contrasted with 80's cold war paranoia. It also helps that Phillip and Elizabeth are stone-cold badasses, ending the episode with Phillip in the dark with the pistol as Mr.FBI leaves was pretty great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Finally got caught up, Martha's "I even like your toupee" was the funniest poo poo.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

td4guy posted:

Not at all true, it's just that most of the evidence has been a line or two at most and it's all circumstantial.

The focus on Jared, Oleg being transferred in two weeks prior to the murders, the contacts gifts to Jared, Kate being undisguised around Jared. It's all pointing to a reveal in the finale. I'd written off Larrick as a red herring some time ago. His focus on Jared though changes that somewhat.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Can someone exlpain the thread title to me?

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

Crankit posted:

Can someone exlpain the thread title to me?

Stevie Nicks has been cast to play their new handler.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

solovyov posted:

Stevie Nicks has been cast to play their new handler.

:golfclap:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

zVxTeflon posted:

tinker tailor soldier spy is a cold war espionage movie and tusk was the song in the opening of the first episode. hope this helps.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

This show is nothing short of fantastic, and I recommend it to everyone. I also recommend watching it in tandem with The Goldbergs because they both take place at around the same time but are polar opposites, which is fun.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The crossovers would be amazing.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
No spoilers, but:
Get hyped up!

(Mods sticky plz)

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Thwomp posted:

The crossovers would be amazing.

Barry really wants to be a spy for an episode to impress a girl, pops tells him about when he worked for the DoD and fell in love with a mousy KGB agent with huge glasses on.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is it going to be a longer episode?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
So excited for the finale, but disappointed this will be the last of The Americans for a bit.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Man we never got an odds layout on who turns out to be responsible for the family murder. For the record my short list:

Arkady
Kate
Fred the contact
Jared.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
He got cut off by plot so there's probably a misdirection but did Philip just admit to killing a man when he was like eight years old? :stare:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

LostRook posted:

Man we never got an odds layout on who turns out to be responsible for the family murder.

1-1 Jared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
poo poo this finale isn't playing around.

• Locked thread