Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
We don't really know how her 'transportation' powers work either - for all we know they could be used to defend yourself from a knife, or really the full limitations of Soulcasting without a fabrial - she could have done a lot of things, teleport the knife, transmute the knife, transmute herself, make a fake, who knows. We'll probably get some clarification on what happened there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The more important question here should be: How can you people say Lightsong is not funny.
I get weird looks when I have this smile on my face when reading during my commute.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Tahirovic posted:

The more important question here should be: How can you people say Lightsong is not funny.
I get weird looks when I have this smile on my face when reading during my commute.

I just finished the book and was looking forward to more adventures of Lightsong and Scoot Detectives Inc. but sadly no :(

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Kraps posted:

I just finished the book and was looking forward to more adventures of Lightsong and Scoot Detectives Inc. but sadly no :(

Eh, Brandon could easily just bring him back and we'd still get the same complaints from the same people.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kraps posted:

The revelation of his past was actually pretty funny. He was all like I MUST'VE BEEN A DETECTIVE, LET ME GRAB THIS SWORD!!! Nope. Just a bookkeeper. :saddowns:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Tahirovic posted:

I'm a big critic of Sanderson's humor, but honestly I loved Lightsong. He was just a very charming prick and by far my favorite character in Warbreaker.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
About half way through The Way of Kings (yeah I'm late to the party) and I'm surprised by how consistently interesting everything is. None of it has felt like a slog so far. Can't say the same for most other fantasy I've read, and I've read a lot.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

About half way through The Way of Kings (yeah I'm late to the party) and I'm surprised by how consistently interesting everything is. None of it has felt like a slog so far. Can't say the same for most other fantasy I've read, and I've read a lot.

Heh, if you think it's interesting now...

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Sanderson did a pretty good job at making a really weird world that's pretty much nothing like earth, and it adds a lot to Way of Kings.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
To anyone reading Way of Kings: do a google image search for slot canyon and keep those pictures in mind while reading the chasm scenes to be sure your imagination does them justice.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Wolpertinger posted:

Sanderson did a pretty good job at making a really weird world that's pretty much nothing like earth, and it adds a lot to Way of Kings.

Not just that, but he made enough cultures, places, and histories to make it seem like a real world. Which was something that was missing with his previous books.

Perhaps working on the Wheel of Time give him more experience in doing so.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

L-O-N posted:

Not just that, but he made enough cultures, places, and histories to make it seem like a real world. Which was something that was missing with his previous books.

Perhaps working on the Wheel of Time give him more experience in doing so.

Didn't he write WoK before working on the wheel of Time books?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dravs posted:

Didn't he write WoK before working on the wheel of Time books?

Well technically yes but he was working on it in one form or another for ages.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Amazon just told me that Firefight is out to order. 6th Jan '15 for Kindle. :3:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I wonder if the Chasmfiend spren are voidspren, knowing that the Alethi thought the chasmfiends them selves were regarded as Gods and what we now know of Parshendi 'religion'.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Rumda posted:

I wonder if the Chasmfiend spren are voidspren, knowing that the Alethi thought the chasmfiends themselves were regarded as Gods and what we now know of Parshendi 'religion'.

well its been suggested they're getting "closer" to the warcamps, so maybe?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Rumda posted:

I wonder if the Chasmfiend spren are voidspren, knowing that the Alethi thought the chasmfiends them selves were regarded as Gods and what we now know of Parshendi 'religion'.

Even if they aren't voidspren, I don't see why a voidspren couldn't possess one and change it into the chasmfiend equivalent of stormform.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
After finishing Elantris, I've now started on Mistborn and I'm halfway through.

It's all right so far, I'm hoping by the end of the novel it gets better because right now I'm kinda wishing it wasn't a trilogy. Something good better happen by the end to make me want to read 2 more novels. Kelsier is interesting enough (for a Sanderson paper-thin character), Vin's whole "everyone will betray me" thing, Reen Reen it rhymes with Ween, and her mouse like street urchin personality was grating until she settles down a bit, thank goodness, a few hundred pages in. My point is the characters are sure as hell not going to leave me wanting more, so I really hope some crazy poo poo goes down soon. The whole post-apocolyptic world/Lord Ruler/Inquisitor stuff is interesting though, so that's kept me going more than the characters or even the immediate storyline.

It also doesn't help that someone "raises an eyebrow" like 5 times a goddamn page. Holy poo poo! How did Sanderson or his editor not notice how unbelievably overused that phrase is? I'm a pretty hardened reader, as in, I'm not as sensitive to bad prose (I do read a lot of Sci-Fi/Fantasy after all), but holy poo poo I can't loving take the raising an eyebrow thing anymore and I'm only on page 340 or something. People even raise their eyebrow in situations where that isn't even a sensible response to what they just heard. I think I'm starting to realize why this dude can pump out as much work as fast as he does. "He/she snorted" and "rolled his eyes" are getting on my nerves as well, though not as much. I'm not a writer, but man if I was writing "raised an eyebrow" 5 times a page in my story I think I would notice it and start changing it up.

Someone please tell me people stop raising eyebrows as much in the 2nd/3rd book. And in future Sanderson novels.

On a lighter note, I can't help but think of Breeze as Mark Gatiss' Mycroft. Which has made me loving love that character.

Damo fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 7, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Damo posted:

It's all right so far, I'm hoping by the end of the novel it gets better because right now I'm kinda wishing it wasn't a trilogy. Something good better happen by the end to make me want to read 2 more novels. Kelsier is interesting enough (for a Sanderson paper-thin character), Vin's whole "everyone will betray me" thing, Reen Reen it rhymes with Ween, and her mouse like street urchin personality was grating until she settles down a bit, thank goodness, a few hundred pages in. My point is the characters are sure as hell not going to leave me wanting more, so I really hope some crazy poo poo goes down soon. The whole post-apocolyptic world/Lord Ruler/Inquisitor stuff is interesting though, so that's kept me going more than the characters or even the immediate storyline.

It also doesn't help that someone "raises an eyebrow" like 5 times a goddamn page. Holy poo poo! How did Sanderson or his editor not notice how unbelievably overused that phrase is? I'm a pretty hardened reader, as in, I'm not as sensitive to bad prose (I do read a lot of Sci-Fi/Fantasy after all), but holy poo poo I can't loving take the raising an eyebrow thing anymore and I'm only on page 340 or something. People even raise their eyebrow in situations where that isn't even a sensible response to what they just heard. I think I'm starting to realize why this dude can pump out as much work as fast as he does. "He/she snorted" is getting on my nerves as well, not nearly as much. I'm not a writer, but man if I was writing "raised an eyebrow" 5 times a page in my story I think I would notice it and start changing it up.

Someone please tell me people stop raising eyebrows as much in the 2nd/3rd book. And in future Sanderson novels.

On a lighter note, I can't help but think of Breeze as Mark Gatiss' Mycroft. Which has made me loving love that character.

The inquisitors just get creepier as you learn more about them - like how they make a normal person into one.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Damo posted:

It also doesn't help that someone "raises an eyebrow" like 5 times a goddamn page. Holy poo poo! How did Sanderson or his editor not notice how unbelievably overused that phrase is? I'm a pretty hardened reader, as in, I'm not as sensitive to bad prose (I do read a lot of Sci-Fi/Fantasy after all), but holy poo poo I can't loving take the raising an eyebrow thing anymore and I'm only on page 340 or something. People even raise their eyebrow in situations where that isn't even a sensible response to what they just heard. I think I'm starting to realize why this dude can pump out as much work as fast as he does. "He/she snorted" is getting on my nerves as well, not nearly as much. I'm not a writer, but man if I was writing "raised an eyebrow" 5 times a page in my story I think I would notice it and start changing it up.

Honestly, I think books 2 and 3 are considerably better than one, especially 3, but apparently a lot of people disagree with me and prefer one, which just baffles me. Mistborn was my first Sanderson novel, and I was merely 'OK' with it - it wasn't until book 2 that I got hooked on Sanderson. One thing Sanderson is famous for is the 'Sanderson Avalanche' where the end of the book is just one giant ridiculous avalanche of plot twists and awesome, and even most of that in Mistborn book 1 isn't quite as good.

Overall Sanderson does become a much better writer as time goes on. You'll probably notice it eventually considering you seem to be reading his books in order of publication. If you want to see a more recent example of his works that's probably one his best too, read the short story "The Emperor's Soul", set in the world of Elantris, but written almost ten years later (and also on literally the other side of the planet so the plot is pretty much completely unrelated).

That story makes me wish he'd go back to the Elantris world because it makes the place seem really way more interesting than I had thought in Elantris.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 7, 2014

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It's 3:17 am and I just finished Warbreaker because I got caught up in the avalanche. I enjoyed the book, but some of the reveals were predictable. Though there's a high chance I've skimmed over major plot spoilers at some point in this thread. Now it's time to reread WoR and pickup on what I missed while flying through it the first time.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
I just finished Words of Radiance two days ago, which is fantastic timing because The Crimson Campaign (from the Powder Mage series) just came out yesterday.

Something that just dawned on me is about Shallan's relationship with her father. All through WOR we get snippets from her flashback chapters about her relationship with her father. We were led to believe that he didn't beat her because he loved her - I mean, clearly he has no qualms about beating the poo poo out of women, he beats his wife, and the maids (and he's believed to have murdered his first wife).

It isn't until after they've made it to Urithru and are settling in the tower that Pattern causes her to remember the truth, which is that Shallan killed her mother using the Pattern/Shardblade because they were trying to kill her (I'm guessing because they knew what she really was, a surgebinder).

This recasts the relationship, because it isn't love keeping Dipshit Dad from beating Shallan, he's scared shitless that he'll get straight up murdered.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

wintermuteCF posted:

I just finished Words of Radiance two days ago, which is fantastic timing because The Crimson Campaign (from the Powder Mage series) just came out yesterday.

Something that just dawned on me is about Shallan's relationship with her father. All through WOR we get snippets from her flashback chapters about her relationship with her father. We were led to believe that he didn't beat her because he loved her - I mean, clearly he has no qualms about beating the poo poo out of women, he beats his wife, and the maids (and he's believed to have murdered his first wife).

It isn't until after they've made it to Urithru and are settling in the tower that Pattern causes her to remember the truth, which is that Shallan killed her mother using the Pattern/Shardblade because they were trying to kill her (I'm guessing because they knew what she really was, a surgebinder).

This recasts the relationship, because it isn't love keeping Dipshit Dad from beating Shallan, he's scared shitless that he'll get straight up murdered.

There may be some of the latter, but the implication of the first snippet is that he does love her. His wife wants to kill the surgebinder (Why? Was it that both she and Helaran were affiliated with Skybreakers?), had an accomplice with her, he kills the accomplice and Shallan kills her mother. It's this fatherly love that brings him to commit murder, to take it all on his name to cover it up for her, to protect and shelter her, and he is driven mad by it.

Shallan killed her father as surely as she did her mother, on the same day.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Democratic Pirate posted:

It's 3:17 am and I just finished Warbreaker because I got caught up in the avalanche. I enjoyed the book, but some of the reveals were predictable. Though there's a high chance I've skimmed over major plot spoilers at some point in this thread. Now it's time to reread WoR and pickup on what I missed while flying through it the first time.

Did you notice the Terriswoman worldhopper? Apparently there is one in Warbreaker. (I don't know where or who, someone wearing a lot of metal jewelery?)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

api call girl posted:

There may be some of the latter, but the implication of the first snippet is that he does love her. His wife wants to kill the surgebinder (Why? Was it that both she and Helaran were affiliated with Skybreakers?), had an accomplice with her, he kills the accomplice and Shallan kills her mother. It's this fatherly love that brings him to commit murder, to take it all on his name to cover it up for her, to protect and shelter her, and he is driven mad by it.

Shallan killed her father as surely as she did her mother, on the same day.

Seems more like the tendency for abusers to cause torment by proxy. Nice pet you have there. Shame if something happened to it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Tunicate posted:

Seems more like the tendency for abusers to cause torment by proxy. Nice pet you have there. Shame if something happened to it.

I mean, he's obviously a hosed up dude. There's no question about that.

He's just likely hosed up by watching his daughter manifest powers associated with evil and kill his wife.

He can't really take out this hosed upidness on her (since she would probably murder him too), so he goes after every other target in range.

Gadani
Oct 19, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

I also just finished Warbreaker. The reveals were kind of predictable but something about the way they're revealed just makes for such a satisfying read.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am currently rereading Warbreaker (because Lightsong!) and some of the things really are obvious, dunno how I missed them first time around. But it's still a really nice read. I kinda lack other things to read as well so I hope we get some more Sanderson soonish.

vvvv I tried reading some non Fantasy stuff. Picking a Jean Ziegler book wasn't a good idea, it's just way too depressing. I decided I am gonna stick with my fantasy and history books since then.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 9, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Tahirovic posted:

I kinda lack other things to read

Man, sometimes I wish my interests were less diverse so I could even begin to be in that situation.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Tahirovic posted:

I am currently rereading Warbreaker (because Lightsong!) and some of the things really are obvious, dunno how I missed them first time around. But it's still a really nice read. I kinda lack other things to read as well so I hope we get some more Sanderson soonish.

vvvv I tried reading some non Fantasy stuff. Picking a Jean Ziegler book wasn't a good idea, it's just way too depressing. I decided I am gonna stick with my fantasy and history books since then.

If you want adventurous non-depressing and non-fantasy things, I'd totally recommend you to read some Golden Age murder mystery stuff. Especially stuff like John Dickson Carr's, whose ridiculous plotting is honestly like the mystery version of Sanderson's. He even alluded to the idea that a good ending must be a "thunderbolt ending" which is like his version of the Sanderson avalanche, his books are ridiculously fun to read. Stuff like Three Coffins brings a smile to my face every time with hos well made it is.

(Disclaimer: I'm a murder mystery geek and thus do not advise you to trust any of my recommendations for I am clearly inclined to make them sound like they fit your tastes more than they probably do.)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Hopeford posted:

If you want adventurous non-depressing and non-fantasy things, I'd totally recommend you to read some Golden Age murder mystery stuff. Especially stuff like John Dickson Carr's, whose ridiculous plotting is honestly like the mystery version of Sanderson's. He even alluded to the idea that a good ending must be a "thunderbolt ending" which is like his version of the Sanderson avalanche, his books are ridiculously fun to read. Stuff like Three Coffins brings a smile to my face every time with hos well made it is.

(Disclaimer: I'm a murder mystery geek and thus do not advise you to trust any of my recommendations for I am clearly inclined to make them sound like they fit your tastes more than they probably do.)

I really like Dorothy L Sayers Peter Wimsey stories and Agatha Christies Poirot. I haven't read John Dickson Carr but I'll give it a go next time I'm at the library.
I hadn't really made the connection between Sanderson and murder mysteries before but now that you mention it, it seems obvious.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
I did it. I made it through Mistborn: Well of Ascension.

gently caress, that wasn't exactly the greatest book ever. Really hope Book 3 makes this all have been worth it. As it is, I'm almost of the opinion that I would have been fine without ever having read this series.

I also really hope this dude upped his game seriously for the Stormlight Archive novels, because gently caress if I can imagine reading a 1200 page book of Sanderson right now. I'm being a bit unfairly harsh right now. I don't hate the guy's writing or anything, but I really need Hero of Ages to kick rear end, real bad.

Damo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 16, 2014

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
2 was the worst by a pretty fair margin imo and Stormlight seems like the work of a 30-year-old that wrote Mistborn at 15.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Except for that part where Vin and emo guy raze the guy's manor. That was p cool.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Damo posted:

gently caress, that wasn't exactly the greatest book ever. Really hope Book 3 makes this all have been worth it. As it is, I'm almost of the opinion that I would have been fine without ever having read this series.

It doesn't, you would have been. That series went downhill after the first book and fast.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Damo posted:

I also really hope this dude upped his game seriously for the Stormlight Archive novels, because gently caress if I can imagine reading a 1200 page book of Sanderson right now. I'm being a bit unfairly harsh right now. I don't hate the guy's writing or anything, but I really need Hero of Ages to kick rear end, real bad.

Way of Kings is better than Mistborn, and Words of Radiance is better than Way of Kings.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Khizan posted:

It doesn't, you would have been. That series went downhill after the first book and fast.

Well, gently caress. I gotta finish it now though, no choice. At least book 3 is slightly shorter than book 2...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I just finished the first book of Mistborn. Are you saying that I should just stop now? I really liked the first one though....

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just finished the first book of Mistborn. Are you saying that I should just stop now? I really liked the first one though....

No if you liked the first one and the rest of his stuff hero of ages is worth it. Even if Well of Ascension is a slight dip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Nitrousoxide posted:

no.

I actually had the opposite reaction of a lot of people. I really liked Books 1 and 2 and had trouble getting through the first half of Book 3 because Sazed is a bit of a depressing whiny emo idiot at first. I put the book down for a couple months, wasn't too sure about this Sanderson guy, but on the recommendation of a coworker (i sold books at the time at B&N) i started it up again, finished it, and absolutely loved the rest of the book. Now he's my favorite fantasy author.

Sanderson tends to be a little hot and cold as far as people's reactions, but generally everyone I've introduced to the series has absolutely loved his work. My best friend's younger brother just tore through everything he's written in about three weeks.

Anyway, his books get noticeably and markedly better as he goes on, give it a fair shot (i recommend Warbreaker and then Alloy of Law after Mistborn if you haven't read Elantris) even in his rougher works there's a lot of fun original ideas and refreshing take on fantasy.

Fair warning: Book 2 is a slower paced book with a lot of more contemplative character growth for those involved. Vin is very much figuring out her 'place' in the world. There are still awesome things but its not a heist book, its more of a mystery/political intrigue. Book 3 is just...pretty dark.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 16, 2014