Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

No matter how much I try not to see it that way, that episode always comes across as "Frank Miller's Batman is a horrifying monster, actually".

Huh. I never thought of that. That'll be something to keep in mind next time I watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mania
Sep 9, 2004

zoux posted:

Also, who are the gay DC characters?

Ex-Wildstorm and new 52 - there's Apollo and Midnighter of Stormwatch/Authority.

Pre New 52, no idea if any of these characters are in the new 52 - Thunder & Grace from the Outsiders, Knockout & Scandal Savage & Jeannette from the Secret Six (though Knockout and Jeannette would be bisexual), Mikaal Tomas (Starman for awhile), Holly Robinson (Catwoman for awhile), Piped Piper (Flash rogue), Terry Berg (from the Green Lantern books, he was Kyle Rayner's assistant).

Vertigo books then have DC roots - there's Tefe Holland (Swamp Thing's daughter) and John Constantine (bi).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mania posted:

John Constantine (bi).

I forgot about that, has there been any mention of it in Nu52 Constantine?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Rhyno posted:

She wasn't killed dude, we're just mocking how Flashpoint went down. She just doesn't exist yet.

She does, Kathy points her out on the wall of pictures at the station when she is talking to Sawyer in an early issue. She hasn't been present in person yet tho.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Was Taters posted:

She does, Kathy points her out on the wall of pictures at the station when she is talking to Sawyer in an early issue. She hasn't been present in person yet tho.
Wasn't it a wall of pictures of dead officers?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

irlZaphod posted:

Wasn't it a wall of pictures of dead officers?

The official response is that she's in the same limbo that Stephanie Brown was for a while. They exist in the nu52 but she's not going to show up until they have "a story worthwhile for reintroducing her to the audience".

Which is the usual DC nonsense which means they aren't going to use her unless she's popular in Gotham or another TV/Film property.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

She wasn't killed dude, we're just mocking how Flashpoint went down. She just doesn't exist yet.

Cue the Hanged Man sequence from Astro City. It's worse.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
At least none of us will ever forget her. :unsmith:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

muscles like this? posted:

She's not bad in the new Mighty Avengers but she's also not a major character.

She'll probably get another shot when the Netflix show rolls around. Why isn't she detectiving poo poo up in 'Original Sin?'

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
She hasn't detectived anything since Alias ended, I'm pretty sure? She's put on her old superhero outfit a few times, but seems to have entirely given that up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

She hasn't detectived anything since Alias ended, I'm pretty sure? She's put on her old superhero outfit a few times, but seems to have entirely given that up.

She was an investigator for The Pulse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They got Squirrel Girl as a nanny and Jessica kind of became a New Avenger for a couple of issues towards the end of the Bendis run. I think that probably anything interesting they were going to do with here got swallowed up by Fear Itself and she never really did anything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

They got Squirrel Girl as a nanny and Jessica kind of became a New Avenger for a couple of issues towards the end of the Bendis run. I think that probably anything interesting they were going to do with here got swallowed up by Fear Itself and she never really did anything.

Bendis's entire Avengers run after Siege was just there. The stories all seemed like rehashes of stuff he already did and he seemed like he did not want to be writing them anymore.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

zoux posted:

I just reread it, it's mostly Won't Someone Think About The Baby stuff.

That being said, Bendis hinting at an interesting plot or character arc and then proceeding to drop it like a wet fart is pretty much his MO, so I don't know if I'd just blame Fear Itself. Having been rereading New Avengers, he's basically the Claremont of the oughts as far as introducing and abandoning plot threads goes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Nevermind this, quoted when I meant to edit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I just reread it, it's mostly Won't Someone Think About The Baby stuff.

That being said, Bendis hinting at an interesting plot or character arc and then proceeding to drop it like a wet fart is pretty much his MO, so I don't know if I'd just blame Fear Itself. Having been rereading New Avengers, he's basically the Claremont of the oughts as far as introducing and abandoning plot threads goes.

Well since the Avengers were involved in a huge company wide crossover every 2 months it seems, I don't know how you can expect him to develop storylines when Dark Asgard is crashing into Avengers tower every five minutes.

Has Bendis ever commented recently on his writing of Jessica Jones? It's a real disappointment that he took a really cool, interesting female character and turned her into a hysterical mother.

Nanny Squirrel girl was cool though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Has Bendis ever commented recently on his writing of Jessica Jones? It's a real disappointment that he took a really cool, interesting female character and turned her into a hysterical mother.

She started out as basically a brainwashed rape victim. It's really more like a lateral move.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

zoux posted:

Well since the Avengers were involved in a huge company wide crossover every 2 months it seems, I don't know how you can expect him to develop storylines when Dark Asgard is crashing into Avengers tower every five minutes.

Of the crossovers New Avengers bumps into (Civil War, House of M, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, Siege, Fear Itself, and Avengers vs. X-Men), Bendis had a hand in five out of those seven crossovers. So while it's a fair criticism, a lot of them were his babies, with only Civil War and Fear Itself being written by others, and Avengers vs. X-Men being written by committee with Bendis on board. If anybody had the ability to plan around the crossovers being written, it should have been Bendis.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mania posted:

Ex-Wildstorm and new 52 - there's Apollo and Midnighter of Stormwatch/Authority.

Pre New 52, no idea if any of these characters are in the new 52 - Thunder & Grace from the Outsiders, Knockout & Scandal Savage & Jeannette from the Secret Six (though Knockout and Jeannette would be bisexual), Mikaal Tomas (Starman for awhile), Holly Robinson (Catwoman for awhile), Piped Piper (Flash rogue), Terry Berg (from the Green Lantern books, he was Kyle Rayner's assistant).

Vertigo books then have DC roots - there's Tefe Holland (Swamp Thing's daughter) and John Constantine (bi).

Pied Piper just got reintroduced. He's still gay. He's quit the villain game and is acting as a vigilante because he's dating a cop. The Rogues are all surprisingly cool with his sexuality but not with the "dating a cop" thing.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Of the crossovers New Avengers bumps into (Civil War, House of M, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, Siege, Fear Itself, and Avengers vs. X-Men), Bendis had a hand in five out of those seven crossovers. So while it's a fair criticism, a lot of them were his babies, with only Civil War and Fear Itself being written by others, and Avengers vs. X-Men being written by committee with Bendis on board. If anybody had the ability to plan around the crossovers being written, it should have been Bendis.
Millar wrote Civil War, but the two of them came up with it. It's as much Bendis' baby as it is Millar's.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Millar wrote Civil War, but the two of them came up with it. It's as much Bendis' baby as it is Millar's.

I think that's a stretch, but it was indeed born out of Bendis' ideas for a SHIELD vs. Avengers storyline he was going to have. But Millar decided it would be cooler for heroes to fight each other and so it went.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

She started out as basically a brainwashed rape victim. It's really more like a lateral move.

She goes out of her way to tell Luke that she WASN'T raped, that Purple Man would make her beg to be hosed but that it never happened.

So this is wrong.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

She goes out of her way to tell Luke that she WASN'T raped, that Purple Man would make her beg to be hosed but that it never happened.

So this is wrong.

That's way better, you're right.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

That's way better, you're right.

It's still a horrific trauma, but it's not the same thing, and I think it's a important distinction to make.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

It's still a horrific trauma, but it's not the same thing, and I think it's a important distinction to make.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I don't agree, necessarily, but you are right.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

That probably comes down to personal interpretation. To beg over and over for it so that you despise yourself, having lost control of your mind, could be worse than someone else overpowering your body.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Was Taters posted:

That probably comes down to personal interpretation. To beg over and over for it so that you despise yourself, having lost control of your mind, could be worse than someone else overpowering your body.

That's fair, but I think Bendis may have made the distinction with the idea of avoiding having yet another female character be raped while still creating trauma to explain how she got to the headspace she's in during Alias.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
According to this helpful chart, the still-married couples in the Marvel Universe are:

Reed Richards and Susan Storm
Rick Jones and Marlo Chandler
Absorbing Man and Titania
Captain Britain and Meggan
Luke Cage and Jessica Jones
Ronan the Accuser and Crystal
J. Jonah Jameson Sr. and May Parker
Madrox and Layla Miller
Northstar and Kyle Jindau

Marriages that (I think) are at least legally intact but not on this list:

Daredevil and Milla Donovan
Vulcan and Deathbird
Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight
Angel Salvadore and Beak
Ka-Zar and Shanna the She-Devil
Deadpool and Shilkah

There are a bunch of characters who I seem to recall being married (and wikipedia appears to agree) who are married but their spouses are borderline non-entities: Volstagg, Deathlok (1990s Michael Collins version), Prowler, Boomerang, GW Bridge, Armadillo, Stingray, Hood, the lady stuck in Deadpool's brain)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am pretty sure that Ronan got forcibly divorced once they got bored of the Inhumans in space stuff.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

It's a minor plot point in one of the Mark Waid Daredevils that DD's marriage got annulled.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

It's a minor plot point in one of the Mark Waid Daredevils that DD's marriage got annulled.

I don't blame people for being confused, they were all over the place with the will they/won't they (get divorced). Were they still married when the Coyote stuff went down?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Daredevil's caption boxes say her parents had their marriage annulled because of her diminished mental capacity right when she first shows up.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Has there ever been a hard and fast statement on how powerful Magneto is? I'm just getting into buying single issue comics after a few years and I just started picking up the new Magneto series which is pretty great. I'm pretty ignorant on X-Men as a whole, mainly because I found the whole thing a little too impenetrable at times. I know the whole Omega level mutant thing is almost a pointless distinction most of the time, but would Magneto qualify?

The comic shows him as being pretty loving strong at this point, but he keeps talking about being able to lift entire building complexes up into the air and launching them into orbit before his powers were dampened (by Scarlet Witch I guess?).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Original Magneto was crazy strong, like change the entire planet's magneto field strong. After the Avengers Vs X-Men event from a while back his power levels dropped. Although I don't think we ever really got an explanation as to why.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Because the Phoenix...

... I'm sorry, I think that's all the explanation we have. :(

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

You know how in video games the villain is super tough, and all powerful, until they turn to your side?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

You know how in video games the villain is super tough, and all powerful, until they turn to your side?

Or in a cartoon, when the big villain temporarily joins the heroes for some reason and suddenly they don't have their awesome mess-you-up-in-one blast superpowers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chinaman7000 posted:

This actually directly applies to Magneto, who was the final boss in X-Men Legends and a regular party member in XMLII.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

WickedHate posted:

This actually directly applies to Magneto, who was the final boss in X-Men Legends and a regular party member in XMLII.

As I recall, though, he was pretty drat good in XMLII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As I recall, though, he was pretty drat good in XMLII.

He wasn't the Juggernaut, so he sucked.