Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Takeaways: Nik Stauskas is a fatty, Kyle Anderson is huge, KJ McDaniels got himself some long arms, Patric Young has alligator arms

MourningView posted:

Ennis is a way better shooter than Declan's giving him credit for.

this is the hill i die on

Rick posted:

Exum refuted the claims that he'll only play for the Lakers. I honestly don't know anything about him, I just am hoping the Lakers draft big since I think their front line is going to be pretty awful for sure next year, while their back court is just likely to be awful instead of a sure thing.

E: All the mock drafts say different things and it confuses me, I can't navigate this at all so I'm just going to play with this ESPN thing http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2014/mockdraft because the Lakers keep getting the second pick out of it and then #1 drafts Parker first instead of Wiggins every time.

It would be odd to draft Parker instead of Wiggins first but it could end up looking good in retrospect. But hey, most drafting things end up looking different in retrospect

The Glumslinger posted:

None of Parker, Wiggins, or Embiid attended the combine. I also, think athleticism tests are on the second day

Correct. They're doing lane agility tests and sprints among other stuff today starting at 9 AM Chicago time and you can watch that on ESPNU starting at 10 AM EST or WatchESPN and that'll go for three hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Stauskas and McDermott both apparently had insane shooting workouts so I guess maybe that will help? I dunno. And Stauskas reportedly looks really good handling the ball and has people thinking he could play some point (which: maybe; he's going to have a hard time getting to and finishing around the basket but he makes good decisions running the pick and roll and is a pretty good passer/ball handler). Stauskas could potentially be like a poor man's Steph Curry, if you want to play the player comparison game.

Declan MacManus posted:

It would be odd to draft Parker instead of Wiggins first but it could end up looking good in retrospect. But hey, most drafting things end up looking different in retrospect

If it's a team they think is desperate to Win Now or Utah they give them Parker and everyone else gets Wiggins. I don't think it's much more complicated than that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nick Young put up a 39.5 standing vert

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

Takeaways: Nik Stauskas is a fatty

:lol: he's doing his athletic drills wearing a long sleeve shirt under his jersey

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

You were just trying to help :)

Is Embiid still the hyped first overall or has that cooled off

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

there was a GM survey after the NCAA season where like 57% of them said they would take Parker first. I dont have the link offhand but its mildly disturbing that these people are allowed to run NBA franchises. I dont think there's a huge difference in the level they're currently at (Parker is a better scorer, Wiggins are far superior defender), but Wiggins potential is just off the charts comparatively. The only place Jabari #1 makes sense for me is Utah, for *mormon reasons*

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jabari Parker is a very good player and it's a defensible opinion. Wiggins has a pretty long way to go offensively.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

mynameisjohn posted:

there was a GM survey after the NCAA season where like 57% of them said they would take Parker first. I dont have the link offhand but its mildly disturbing that these people are allowed to run NBA franchises. I dont think there's a huge difference in the level they're currently at (Parker is a better scorer, Wiggins are far superior defender), but Wiggins potential is just off the charts comparatively. The only place Jabari #1 makes sense for me is Utah, for *mormon reasons*

There is a huge difference in the level of skill Jabari has right now and the level of skill Wiggins has right now, did you watch them in college?

Fisticuffs fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 16, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fisticuffs posted:

There is a huge difference in the level of skill Jabari has right now and the level of skill Wiggins has right now, did you watch them in college?

Offensively sure, but when you factor in defense it's a lot closer. Parker was one of the worst defensive players in the country, to the point that they couldn't even have him on the floor down the stretch against Mercer. Wiggins might have been the best defensive wing in college basketball (perhaps best demonstrated by the way he shut Parker down when they played head to head and Bill Self finally said "hey maybe I should let my best defender guard their best player")

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 16, 2014

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

MourningView posted:

Offensively sure, when you factor in defense it's a lot closer. Parker was one of the worst defensive players in the country, to the point that they couldn't even have him on the floor down the stretch against Mercer. Wiggins might have been the defensive wing in college basketball (and notably completely shut Parker down when they played head to head and Bill Self finally said "hey maybe I should let my best defender guard their best player")

I think "defense" is too general a term but overall I agree. Wiggins has far superior lateral quickness and is a better man-to-man defender right now than Jabari will probably ever be. Jabari isn't great, but I think Duke had some team deficiencies that Parker won't have to live with at the NBA level. He would've looked a lot better at Duke if there was someone on the interior to funnel drivers into, which is how most NBA teams defend. He's also a better defensive rebounder than Wiggins, which is one of the most important elements of defense. Wiggins is better at man-to-man and has the potential to be a guy you put on the other team's leading scorer every night, but I don't think Parker's defense is bad enough to be a detriment at the NBA level. He'll never be great but I think he will end up being slightly above average, thanks to his rebounding, instead of flat out bad like a lot of people suggest.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

@DraftExpress
Dante Exum's standing (31.5 inches) and max vertical (34.5) are just middle of the pack. Standing vert is the same as MCW, max much lower.

Does this mean the next Russell Westbrook won't be dunking over fouls :(

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's likely not going to rebound as well in the pros, and you're seriously underselling how bad he is at both man to man and team defense. He was always late on rotations and could get pick and rolled to death. Teams were actively targetting him. And athletically he's a tweener who struggles to keep up with quicker wings laterally and is too small to really bang down low with power forwards. He wasn't just kinda bad, he was a borderline disaster. He's probably the best offensive player in the draft right now, but the defense is a real issue.

e: and if you're going to blame Duke's system for part of Jabari's struggles you really need to factor in that Self did a pretty piss poor job of featuring Wiggins offensively too.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 16, 2014

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fisticuffs posted:

I will also say in Wiggins defense that he played in an offensive system that didn't really allow him to iso or be a primary ball handler, so its hard to judge where his skill in those categories really stands

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

So who should I be excited for the Mavs to pick at 51 overall and stash in the D-League/Europe for 6 years before he's completely forgotten about?

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Parker played the 4/5 on a team with no post presence and Wiggins played the wing on a team that pounds it inside even when it's to its own detriment. Parker will be a good rebounder for a 3, but average for a 4 in the NBA, while Wiggins had good production rebounding on the wing (6reb/game) on a team with one elite+one good rebounding starting bigs. Parker's shooting% was better than Wiggins, but it wasn't significantly better. Wiggins scored by going to the basket (6.5 FTA/game) in a wing-unfriendly offense and steadily improved his jumper over the year.

The early narrative for these two was that Parker was NBA ready and Wiggins was raw upside, but that's just a lazy narrative set within the first week of the season. Parker is a riskier pick because you don't know how his body type will translate to the NBA and his defense will never not be a concern, while Wiggins seems to be Iguodala-type as a worst case scenario if he just coasts by on his athleticism/wing defense.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

So who should I be excited for the Mavs to pick at 51 overall and stash in the D-League/Europe for 6 years before he's completely forgotten about?

Jordan Clarkson because I kind of like the guy and he sure won't go before that.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I just remembered Dallas has Boston's second rounder (34 overall) so there's a slight chance we might get a marginal NBA prospect!

e:

Grittybeard posted:

Jordan Clarkson because I kind of like the guy and he sure won't go before that.

Perhaps the next Ricky Ledo?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Maybe one day that pick will sprout into Nick Calathes. The Mavs will find another Euro project and trade him away when he is finally ready to come over. All I want the Mavs to do with their second round draft pick is to take a center that probably won't work out. Hopefully they get another end of rotation player like Crowder.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 16, 2014

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
I really don't understand the lottery. All the non-playoff teams have a certain percentage to win the lottery, this i understand. After a team "wins" the lottery it picks first and bumps all the teams with the least wins back a spot in the draft. This is how i understand the lottery to work. The problem is i am a magic fan and whenever i run the lottery projections they can pick anywhere from 1st to 6th.

So how does it work? Also if anyone wants to tell me good things about Dario Saric, it seems he is a projected Magic pick at number 12.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

WhyteRyce posted:

@DraftExpress
Dante Exum's standing (31.5 inches) and max vertical (34.5) are just middle of the pack. Standing vert is the same as MCW, max much lower.

Can Dante Exum shoot? A MCW-Exum backcourt sounds sweet, but one of them (or both) needs to learn how to shoot.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

chilihead posted:

I really don't understand the lottery. All the non-playoff teams have a certain percentage to win the lottery, this i understand. After a team "wins" the lottery it picks first and bumps all the teams with the least wins back a spot in the draft. This is how i understand the lottery to work. The problem is i am a magic fan and whenever i run the lottery projections they can pick anywhere from 1st to 6th.

So how does it work? Also if anyone wants to tell me good things about Dario Saric, it seems he is a projected Magic pick at number 12.

The lottery is for the first three picks. If you have the worst record in the league, the worst pick you can get is the fourth.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
edit: beaten.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

WhyteRyce posted:

@DraftExpress

Someone named Dante Exum should jump a lot higher than that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DOOP posted:

Can Dante Exum shoot? A MCW-Exum backcourt sounds sweet, but one of them (or both) needs to learn how to shoot.

Noooope.

I mean supposedly, anyway. No one has actually watched Dante Exum play meaningful basketball for like a year because he might as well be playing in Antarctica.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

vegaji posted:

I really wish that Wiggins did the combine

quote:

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider

The picture of Andrew Wiggins vert jump floating around? His agent, Bill Duffy, told me it's a 44 inch vert.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Spacebump posted:

Maybe one day that pick will sprout into Nick Calathes. The Mavs will find another Euro project and trade him away when he is finally ready to come over. All I want the Mavs to do with their second round draft pick is to take a center that probably won't work out. Hopefully they get another end of rotation player like Crowder.

Dude I wish Crowder would get good at anything at all

This team is awful at drafting so I wouldnt get my hopes up even if we had a top 5

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

@DraftExpress

He's strong so he can dunk through contact, it'll be okay

MourningView posted:

Noooope.

I mean supposedly, anyway. No one has actually watched Dante Exum play meaningful basketball for like a year because he might as well be playing in Antarctica.

He didn't really wow in the shooting drills so I think it's safe to say his J is busted for the time being

vegaji posted:

Parker played the 4/5 on a team with no post presence and Wiggins played the wing on a team that pounds it inside even when it's to its own detriment. Parker will be a good rebounder for a 3, but average for a 4 in the NBA, while Wiggins had good production rebounding on the wing (6reb/game) on a team with one elite+one good rebounding starting bigs. Parker's shooting% was better than Wiggins, but it wasn't significantly better. Wiggins scored by going to the basket (6.5 FTA/game) in a wing-unfriendly offense and steadily improved his jumper over the year.

The early narrative for these two was that Parker was NBA ready and Wiggins was raw upside, but that's just a lazy narrative set within the first week of the season. Parker is a riskier pick because you don't know how his body type will translate to the NBA and his defense will never not be a concern, while Wiggins seems to be Iguodala-type as a worst case scenario if he just coasts by on his athleticism/wing defense.

No, Parker is a fairly safe pick in that he already has at least one NBA-ready skill (shooting) so he should be able to give you something even if he doesn't live up to his potential

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Parker's shooting did fall off a decent bit as the season went on, although he can still effective score in a lot of other ways.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Parker's shooting did fall off a decent bit as the season went on, although he can still effective score in a lot of other ways.

I think that's fair but the overall point is that Jabari Parker isn't some Adam Morrison-type prospect. He's Legit and Pro Ready and Can Contribute Immediately and Has Mormon Faith

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
which rookie team is going to win the taco bell skills challenge

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

Hah, that's the best way to hype your hyped hyper-prospect. I hope we get a shot of Wiggins sprinting, with his agent in the shot sporting a grin and holding a stopwatch that reads 4.24

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

whiggles posted:

Hah, that's the best way to hype your hyped hyper-prospect. I hope we get a shot of Wiggins sprinting, with his agent in the shot sporting a grin and holding a stopwatch that reads 4.24

I'm sensing a return of the "Photoshopped Will Chamberlain 100 point game" meme.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Doug McDermott isn't 6'8 (6'7.75 in dubious shoes), but proved to be quite athletic, definitely not a stiff. Maybe he can play the 3? Teams are all projecting him to be a lottery pick, anyway. Somewhere in the 8-14 range. I don't think he could play the 4 except in very small ball situations.

Zach LaVine measured well and might be the most athletic player in the draft (which is usually a bad sign actually) and is also projecting to be a lottery pick. The combine definitely helped his stock, despite being a long term project.

Nik Stauskus also proved to be more athletic than initially assumed and measured well for a 2 guard (6'6.5, 6'8 wingspan). Another fringe lottery guy.

Aaron Gordon is insanely athletic which should ease fears about his size at the 4 (not quite 6'9, 220 pounds).

Noah Vonleh is 6'9.5 in shoes, has a 7'4.5 reach, and showed to have excellent athleticism. Chad Ford moved him to #5; the first PF projected to be taken. Months ago I said this guy could go ahead of Randle and it looks like he could indeed do that.

Dante Exum measured well and showed pretty good, if not otherwordly John Wallesque athleticism. He'll probably go top 5.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 19, 2014

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Woe to the team that takes McDermott.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Wow, 6'6.25" w/o shoes for McDermott. That's small even for a small ball PF. I think that's probably below average for a SF anymore.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's still going to instantly be one of the best shooters in the league, so you're at least getting that. And his post game is crafty enough that he can probably do some small ball stuff. He was going to need to be hidden on defense regardless of where he played.

Hopefully Gordon's measurments convince teams to play him at PF instead of loving around with him at the 3, where he's awful.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Zach LaVine measured well and might be the most athletic player in the draft

No.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Noah's measurements are so good that I have to resign myself to the fact that someone will take him before #7 and I'll have to settle for Aaron Gordon. That's probably not the worse thing in the world since he sounds like an amazing defender

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
What are the odds that Doug falls to the Grizz or must I now convince myself that Cleanthony Early or KJ McDaniels is gonna be worth it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

He's still going to instantly be one of the best shooters in the league, so you're at least getting that. And his post game is crafty enough that he can probably do some small ball stuff. He was going to need to be hidden on defense regardless of where he played.

Hopefully Gordon's measurments convince teams to play him at PF instead of loving around with him at the 3, where he's awful.

No.

He was awesome at defending wings but I guess college wings that's not as impressive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

He was awesome at defending wings but I guess college wings that's not as impressive?

He can play defense at either spot, but if you draft him with the idea that he's going to play on the wing in the NBA you are basically drafting Michael Kidd-Gilcrist.

• Locked thread