Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

1. It should be until the start of your next turn, which I didn't think of because I was just straight up thinking of Defend the Hearth.

2. Artifact from the fact that the first and second ability used to be switched.

Both fixed now. Though now I'm wondering if I should switch Parsee's first and second ability again and maybe make the cycling a sort of emblem ability...

edit:

Parsee again, slightly different.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Here's an attempt at an Azorius planeswalker. The idea is that he's primarily a politician whose priorities are making deals with other walkers he can persuade, loving over the plans of other walkers, and bringing other walkers to his side to form a coalition. I hope I've captured that idea in this card.

I messed around with the abilities quite a bit to make sure that he'd at least be somewhat useful if no one else had a walker out. For a six mana walker with no direct win condition, you'd better at least get that much.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Sanctimonious would fit. Perhaps Massive Idiot would be better though.

“Yes, Your Honor,” said Kavin. “Do either of you know of something called the verdict? The Supreme Verdict of Azor?”
“It would destroy the entire district?”
“Destroy it utterly, with a wave of devastating power,” said the sphinx. “That’s the nature of the verdict.”
“That’s terrifying,” said Lavinia. Her words echoed Jace’s thoughts exactly. “But what would cause an entire district to be judged guilty?”
“Of course,” said Isperia. “The Implicit Maze. The maze is the test. Azor’s test. And the end is Azor’s verdict.”
Lazav wanted Lavinia chosen because he thought he could manipulate her into triggering it, releasing a wave of ruin across the district, killing the thousands of people within it.

So, should the Guildpact be broken, Azor has set up a contingency to restore it. Pretty intelligent and farsighted. Everyone has to finish the Maze alive, having gone through the whole thing in the correct order, and they should understand the value of unity among the guilds. Sure, good precaution. If the guilds don't co-operate and prove unworthy, his magic will nuke an entire district. Uh, that's callous and psychopathic but I guess it's an efficient goad to get them back into line. How is this message conveyed to the guilds (who are surely in a state of strife if the Guildpact has broken down), so that everything can go right again and be restored?

Jace tried to think like the mage Azor. What use was it to create a bailiff to carry out your supreme verdict, if you didn’t give it the ability to explain what that was? What use was it to create all of these conditions and potentially dire consequences, if no one could know what they were?

:v:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

U-DO Burger posted:

Here's an attempt at an Azorius planeswalker. The idea is that he's primarily a politician whose priorities are making deals with other walkers he can persuade, loving over the plans of other walkers, and bringing other walkers to his side to form a coalition. I hope I've captured that idea in this card.

I messed around with the abilities quite a bit to make sure that he'd at least be somewhat useful if no one else had a walker out. For a six mana walker with no direct win condition, you'd better at least get that much.

The first ability is kinda ambiguous. Players won't know whether to pick targets when activating the ability, or when the trigger is put on the stack. The best fix would be to not make it target at all.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Dr. Stab posted:

The first ability is kinda ambiguous. Players won't know whether to pick targets when activating the ability, or when the trigger is put on the stack. The best fix would be to not make it target at all.

As written, a target must be selected when you activate the ability. Though I agree, his abilities could use a clean-up on text.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mikujin posted:

As written, a target must be selected when you activate the ability. Though I agree, his abilities could use a clean-up on text.

I'm looking at that picture and I'm pretty sure that's not a him.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Prism posted:

I'm looking at that picture and I'm pretty sure that's not a him.

Not really the point. And I mean, look at that face, can you really be sure that boob-plate isn't just hiding goon-sized manboobs?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Alright, judging time. Here's the top 5:

5. Isperia, Planar Judge by Soothing Cacophony

Mostly I like this one for the plus ability, which is such a good UW ability that it feels like it should have been on a card already.

4. Teferi Reborn by Pseudoscorpion

I like this guy for being an unconventional planeswalker design, although I don't find any of the things he does all that exciting.

3. Sarkhan, Newsparked by Sleep of Bronze

I like how clear it is that this guy is all about dragons. The ultimate seems like it's going to end up irrelevant most of the time, since it's unlikely that you want to search out a dragon you can't cast over making a token.

2. Deoval of the Blind Eternities by Sleepy Owl

I like the way all of this guy's(?) abilities work together. Feels like one of the more cohesive designs this round.

1. Lorin, the Studious by U-DO Burger

I couldn't resist this ultimate, and all the rest of his abilities are great too. 5-color planeswalkers is absolutely a deck that should be encouraged, in my opinion.

Congratulations to U-DO Burger, and good luck coming up with something fun for next round.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Thank you, Eeevil! I had a lot of fun making that one. Our theme for this week is:

Combat tricks

There's a unique sense of satisfaction that you get when you block your opponent's Griselbrand with a Suntail Hawk, then cast Righteousness for the kill. Part of that satisfaction comes from your opponent's disgust at someone playing Righteousness, but the rest of it comes from using resources your opponent wasn't aware of to change the math of combat.

We've seen many combat tricks over the years, and that was only the most basic of examples. Instant spells that damage creatures or affect power and toughness are a staple, of course. Morph added an interesting layer by making your opponent hope that they're blocking the right creature. Ninjutsu punished opponents who opted not to block. And Wing Shards and cards like it can make your opponent wish they'd attacked with more than just their fatty.

People often refer to sacrificing Mogg Fanatic under the old combat rules when talking about combat tricks, but I disagree. It's not a trick because the moment he hit the battlefield, everyone knew what you were going to do with him. The key to a combat trick is using information that is hidden from your opponent to turn the tables on them.

Submit a card that, when played, makes your opponent truly regret choosing to attack or block the way they did.

Contest ends at 3pm PST

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Had this sitting around, though I don't consider it anything special. We'll see what else I can come up with. Not even sure if it's formatted correctly.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ramos posted:

Had this sitting around, though I don't consider it anything special. We'll see what else I can come up with. Not even sure if it's formatted correctly.

I think this is cool, but the template probably doesn't need to specify that the targetted creature already has equipment attached to it. Something like "Target creature gains +X/+X until end of turn, where X is equal to the converted mana cost of an equipment of your choice that is attached to it."

e: of your choice, because it could have multiple equipped items.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I think this is cool, but the template probably doesn't need to specify that the targetted creature already has equipment attached to it. Something like "Target creature gains +X/+X until end of turn, where X is equal to the converted mana cost of an equipment of your choice that is attached to it."

e: of your choice, because it could have multiple equipped items.

You could also do "Target equipment gains "Equipped creature gets +x/+x" until end of turn, where X is equal to this card's converted mana cost."

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Heatwizard posted:

You could also do "Target equipment gains "Equipped creature gets +x/+x" until end of turn, where X is equal to this card's converted mana cost."

Is there any way, without making it super-sloppy templating wise, for an Instant to actually create a token equipment that's attached to target creature that has this effect? I'm a pretty new player & missed out on Mirrordin, etc, but I have a weird hard-on for equipment & I've always thought "equipment matters" would be a sweet twist on things; creatures with "when you attach equipment to this creature, do X" or "gets +X/+X for each artifact equipped" seems like a mechanic with interesting design space, and in a total long-shot sense the confirmation of a card named "Garruk's Axe" as an M15 promo makes me hope for colored equipment which might work as a nice lead-in for "equipment matters" being a thing in Huey.

Edit: also, has "token equipment" ever been a thing ? Again, I'm a new player and not familiar with every card ever but it seems like neat design space as well

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 14, 2014

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Honestly, I think the biggest issue with the card is that it could stand to be more powerful. The highest costing equipment right now is at 7 mana, so even in the most ideal of situations, you still only get a Righteousness.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I'm almost positive I templated this wrong. The first sentence feels super clunky having to use the word 'creature' so many times.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 14, 2014

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Here's one.

I'm not thrilled with it right now. The idea I want to go with is 'trick with a drawback' but right now this just seems like Swords But Worse or Divine Verdict But Better In Most Cases.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Pulling up stuff I already had mostly done. Though the art on all of these took ages to find: no one seemed to have stuff that fitted with my first ideas.

Rain of Blades/Boneshards/Scorching Winds each do 1 to all attacking creatures. For making it 2 CMC and 2 colours, both reasonably significant extra impositions, an average of three damage each seemed good.

Templating and reminder text loosely based on Topple, but there isn't so much precedent for this. Why do Wizards template it so that life and CMC are 'high' but power/toughness are 'great'?

I anticipated the move to land counting cards in JOU, apparently, though not that it would be because the mortals of Theros didn't want anything to do with their gods any more.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I might be bleeding back into the "alpha cards" contest here, but I'm almost sure this wording works. Otherwise it's a nightmare to spell it all out, because you have to specify a target creature who's controller's turn it is, which doesn't have summoning sickness (which itself needs to be spelled out too, because AFAIK there's no actual rules term for "summoning sickness") and was untapped at the beginning of combat.

I'm trying to think of why it doesn't work and the best I can think of is that I'm not sure how it should interact with effects like Oppressive Rays.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 15, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I anticipated the move to land counting cards in JOU, apparently, though not that it would be because the mortals of Theros didn't want anything to do with their gods any more.

I don't think you need the "as you cast this" clause. Unless you're dead-set on it not being nerfed by instant-speed land destruction.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Entropic posted:

I might be bleeding back into the "alpha cards" contest here, but I'm almost sure this wording works. Otherwise it's a nightmare to spell it all out, because you have to specify a target creature who's controller's turn it is, which doesn't have summoning sickness (which itself needs to be spelled out too, because AFAIK there's no actual rules term for "summoning sickness") and was untapped at the beginning of combat.

I'm trying to think of why it doesn't work and the best I can think of is that I'm not sure how it should interact with effects like Oppressive Rays.

Neat idea, but I think theres issues with making it work in a way MTGO can deal with. What if the target was given haste after declare atrackers? You'd need to make it record the board state each time, which I doubt it does now.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Entropic posted:

I don't think you need the "as you cast this" clause. Unless you're dead-set on it not being nerfed by instant-speed land destruction.

I'm stealing the templating from Jaws of Stone. For whatever reason that needs it, this needs it. :colbert:

(I think it's something to do with defining the targets at the right time. A certain number of cards do it).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I'm stealing the templating from Jaws of Stone. For whatever reason that needs it, this needs it. :colbert:

(I think it's something to do with defining the targets at the right time. A certain number of cards do it).

Ah, I get it. It's because if you lost a mountain the number of targets would have to change, which is something that really shouldn't be able to happen. A target can become illegal or non-existent, but the number of targets can't really change without the rules freaking out.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
This is probably the opposite of what you want but whatever.

Sometimes the best trick is no tricks at all.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I try to tell myself that this won't be used in a control shell, and only be used by Timmys trying to get their Leviathans and Polar Krakens to get even bigger:

Who the gently caress knows if this is balanced?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 15, 2014

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

This is probably the opposite of what you want but whatever.

Sometimes the best trick is no tricks at all.

No, this is good. On an opponent's turn, the best opportunity to play it is during combat, and it can prevent him or her from using the necessary creature abilities to keep their dudes alive. Not all combat tricks have to be blunt. Subtle ones can hurt just as badly.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hugify Weapon 2.0. Now far more interesting in what it does and has multiple (though not necessarily amazing) uses beyond just combat tricking. And since it doesn't necessarily add value without comboing (at least not cheaply), the Buyback is not going to snap the game in half.

Act of Treason for purely defensive purposes. Far more limited in applications but potentially far more powerful.

And trust me, Act of Aggression is such a satisfying card.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 15, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

U-DO Burger posted:

No, this is good. On an opponent's turn, the best opportunity to play it is during combat, and it can prevent him or her from using the necessary creature abilities to keep their dudes alive. Not all combat tricks have to be blunt. Subtle ones can hurt just as badly.

That was a joke. The idea is that it shuts off your opponent's tricks (and their on board tricks, for that matter)

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Immolation is a fun card. Let's bring it back

Edit: Let's try to remember the mana cost this time.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 15, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Veyrall posted:

Immolation is a fun card. Let's bring it back

The hoops you'll have to jump through to put it on a dude probably don't make it worth it. :rolleyes:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
God drat it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Red and white strike me as more of combat trick oriented colors for some reason, though I should look into other colors.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

A few cards that are more on the ninjutsu "Well, gently caress, should have blocked" side of making an opponent regret their combat choices.

(I spent some fun time coming up with all sorts of utterly evil flavour text for this card. Also an entry for 'things Magic has never done before', I believe).

You didn't like my offered trades? Too bad, have 'em anyway, as well as the damage you took yourself. This is an Instant for multiplayer politicking purposes.
Uh, I have to go to work now, but pretend that has 'until EOT' at the end. I'll edit it when I get back. Done.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 15, 2014

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

As written, that doesn't actually require the creature to be in combat.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gynovore posted:

As written, that doesn't actually require the creature to be in combat.
Spitting Earth wasn't exactly setting the world on fire, so I'm pretty OK with this.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

You didn't like my offered trades? Too bad, have 'em anyway, as well as the damage you took yourself. This is an Instant for multiplayer politicking purposes.

Well-done, this seems really clever and elegant to me even in a 1v1 format.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
An interesting design, but I think RRR is a bit too restrictive. 2R would be more reasonable, or maybe 1RW, since this could almost also read "Deal 6 damage to target attacking creature." But I think it's pretty cool regardless.

I thought about it a bit, and here's my thoughts regarding combat tricks that really make your opponent regret his choices.

I hope I made it flexible enough, since it can kill a weenie, make a fattie much more fragile, help a big butt get through a blocker, and generally just completely screw with combat math so much that it almost physically hurts. It may go up by a mana in order to make it more of a Limited card.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Text cleanup:
"Target creature gets +2/-2 until end of turn. Each creature blocking or blocked by that creature gains first strike until end of turn."

• Locked thread