Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Yay! I'm glad so many people like it. I'm trying to get a decent inventory together for a convention, and it's slow going.

.... I feel like I've taken over the thread tho. Surely somebody has plushies to post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Keska posted:

Yay! I'm glad so many people like it. I'm trying to get a decent inventory together for a convention, and it's slow going.

.... I feel like I've taken over the thread tho. Surely somebody has plushies to post?

I've been working on a commission of six Popples themed after the Avengers. With school and other stuff that's all I've worked on for months. I wish I could work on something else but then there's more people that want Popples.

Absolute shot in the dark: Would anyone be interested in sharing an exhibitor table with me at Geek Girl Con in Seattle in October? I'm a little annoyed they've doubled their prices from last year but it was a good con and I'm not ready to give up on it just yet.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
You're the one who does the Popples? Those are great! I can understand getting tired of something that complicated pretty quick, tho.

Wish I could join you for the con but Seattle is too far for me - I'm in Atlanta.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Keska posted:

This is motivating me to work on my plushies. I need to pick up some stuffing still, but I am working on it! I've got the pattern down, and I'm working on it =P

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So. I'm making a tiny little (like, 2ft long) shrimp plushie. I started today since I'm terrible at motivating myself without the thread!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Down to just its tail! Its big and cute :3

edit: Done!

I don't have my lightbox or a proper camera anymore, so ignore the colour issues :3

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 8, 2014

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
Yay shrimp! :neckbeard:

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Shrimp are so weird-looking that your plushie wraps around an is cute again!

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Aw. Seeing all the plushies in this thread are making me miss spending time with my sewing machine(s).

Keep up the great work!

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Yay, getting paid to make plushies! I finally finished the commission that got me started on the kitties.

It's made out of six different quilting cottons and embellished with perle cotton and embroidery floss. The deliberately messy stitching was at the client's request - she wanted something in the style of the Emily the Strange dolls.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I was gonna ask about the stitching; I love the obviousness of it. I have a ton of material sitting around, and those look very cute and simple. Is there a pattern available online, or is that your own?

I'd be interested in making a few :)

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
It's my own pattern. I'd like to get it to a point where I can sell it, but I won't have time to scan and vectorize it until after the convention I'm going to next weekend at the earliest. I think I'd like to include the cat, fox, and a wolf variation I've drafted but not tested yet.

I'm a little conflicted, tho - the fox head is considerably more difficult to piece together than the cat head, and I'm not sure it's appropriate to put variations that take varying skill levels in one pattern. But at the same time, there's so little difference between the animals that making them separate patterns feels like a terrible money grab.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Froakie:

It came out cute, but I hate this one so much. Crooked, lumpy and a million hours of hand-sewing. Oh, and excuse the crappy Photoshopping on the group shot; it turns out my lightbox really isn't big enough for all three of them at once.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Keska posted:

It's my own pattern. I'd like to get it to a point where I can sell it, but I won't have time to scan and vectorize it until after the convention I'm going to next weekend at the earliest. I think I'd like to include the cat, fox, and a wolf variation I've drafted but not tested yet.

I'm a little conflicted, tho - the fox head is considerably more difficult to piece together than the cat head, and I'm not sure it's appropriate to put variations that take varying skill levels in one pattern. But at the same time, there's so little difference between the animals that making them separate patterns feels like a terrible money grab.

I would also be interested in making some of these. :3 They are super adorable and a great shape.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I am up to three giant squids now. Combine that with a giant squid tattoo on my back, I am beginning to think I have a problem (a cute, cuddly problem but a problem none-the-less).

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I love the giant squid, tho! Is an adorableness problem really a problem?

How much stuffing goes into one of those? I kinda wanna make one, but I'm intimidated by the materials cost....

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I buy my stuffing in 64oz (1.8kg) bags. And it takes most of the the bag to fill a squid, if I am using quilt batting to do the arms. That, and, well, you need some sizable pieces of fabric (I'm using up my remaining materials, so I may have to frankenstein-monster some of mine due to the materials being too small).

If I were guessing? I think they're about $40 or $50 in just materials to make. Quite expensive compared to smaller stuff!

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Yikes! I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through you as far as giant squid plushies go, then.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Been busy working on this:

Made this guy on commission for a coworker. I stuffed it lightly so it's super squishy. That fur was slippery and hard to work with. I would not recommend it EVER. Also it turned out a lot bigger than I thought when I started - like the size of my torso.

On to the next commission!

(I promise I haven't forgotten about the pattern, I just have to hit my deadlines first!)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Brainbread posted:

I am up to three giant squids now. Combine that with a giant squid tattoo on my back, I am beginning to think I have a problem (a cute, cuddly problem but a problem none-the-less).

Please tell me the mouth is actually like an inside-out sock so it can be like it's eating your whole arm. Or elasticated so it can eat your head!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Gromit posted:

Please tell me the mouth is actually like an inside-out sock so it can be like it's eating your whole arm. Or elasticated so it can eat your head!

Sadly, they don't. I didn't make beaks on any of them :(

(Also I am making a fourth <3 )

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Remember when I said I had a problem? Yeah.

My quality feels like its all over the place. Personally, I think they're cute and adorable, but the size of the mantle and the "head" isn't super consistent. Now that i am making them out of scraps excuses that in my head though!

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
If you're making them out of scraps, the grain of the fabric probably isn't running the same way on all of them, which can make a pretty big difference in the shape of a plush, especially one that big!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Keska posted:

If you're making them out of scraps, the grain of the fabric probably isn't running the same way on all of them, which can make a pretty big difference in the shape of a plush, especially one that big!

Hint: It isn't =P

Trying my best though! I have some friends who want me to make them some, so I will have to buy more material for that though... and put in more effort.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Here's a quick shot of the commission I've been working on:

Glamour shots tomorrow.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Ta-daa!

So apparently this is going to be a Mother's Day present for somebody go goes by the nickname of Loki. :) I thought it was cute. If I make another one of these I think I'll make the legs a little longer and thicker, and narrow the head a bit.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
Haha, awesome little Sleipnir! I never thought I'd see a chibi 8 legged horse.

ShrimpToast
Dec 26, 2011
My friend asked me to make her Tom Nook from the Animal Crossing games. I think it came out pretty nice. I'm mostly proud that he can stand up on his own because of his tail.

ShrimpToast fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 6, 2014

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

ShrimpToast posted:

My friend asked me to make her Tom Nook from the Animal Crossing games. I think it came out pretty nice. I'm mostly proud that he can stand up on his own because of his tail.

Cuuute!

I always love seeing people make videogame characters into the plush medium!

ShrimpToast
Dec 26, 2011
This one is a bit old, but here is a cat that I made for my friend.

It's from a pattern in this book:

It's really great, and there are a few more in the series. The author is named Tabatha Naomi, and if you search her name you should be able to find some copies on Etsy or Ebay. They are in Japanese, except one that is translated, but the diagrams are pretty helpful, so I was able to put things together without instructions.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Ohh, that's totally cute! I have her other book, the one that's been translated into English.

*checks Amazon for link*

Oh hey, it looks like they recently translated this one too!

http://www.amazon.com/Naomi-Tabatha/e/B004FR39WA

ShrimpToast
Dec 26, 2011
Also been making these Rob Ford Voodoo dolls for a while.

I used to bring them to anti-Ford rallies, and they would sell like hotcakes.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I'm working on making the Scraps Cat pattern. I've got the pattern pieces scanned and vectored, and pictures of a cat that was made with the pattern - although no in-progress pictures, sadly. I just have to write the instructions. "Just." Uuuuuugh... How do people do this?

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Okay! Who wants to be a pattern tester? I have the instructions written and the pattern vectored for my Scraps Cat pattern. If you want to test it, drop me a PM with an email address I can send the PDF to. What I need from you are any corrections or suggestions on the instructions or the pattern itself, and if at all possible, a picture of your finished cat!

It was this pattern:

If you can't be bothered with all that nonsense, I'll post a discount code for goons once it's ready to sell.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Here's some of what I've been working on.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

Here's some of what I've been working on.

Cute stuff! If you need any help with the pony stuff, I got out of the business, so I can link you my patterns if it'll be any use!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So, been testing Keska's pattern (with my way-too-stretchy-material). Its adorable, by the way.

Its a pretty solid pattern <3

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad you're having fun with it. I think I'll be putting it up for sale at the end of the week.

ShrimpToast
Dec 26, 2011

Keska posted:

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad you're having fun with it. I think I'll be putting it up for sale at the end of the week.

I really like the pallet for this one. It's so cute and springy looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Alright! Thanks to all of the wonderful help I got from Brainbread, my pattern is ready to sell! You can find it right here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/191740495/scraps-cat-plush-pdf-pattern-printable?ref=shop_home_active_1

If you use the coupon code THANKSGOONS, you get $3 off! All of the encouragement I've gotten from this thread have really made a big difference to me. You guys are the best!

• Locked thread