Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Thauros posted:

Yeah, they'd probably be better off right now if they had managed their stockholders' expectations better instead of talking about doubling their rights which simply wasn't going to happen.

Pretty much, it's not unreasonable to expect they get a big rights increase because they alone let USA remain the No.1 channel and as Dave was talking about the Soccer gets way more than WWE does for nowhere near the same ratings.

But the thing is, the WWE has spent the better part of a decade trying to sell themselves as not sport, but entertainment, because Vince is Crazy and Dunn hates the fact he works in Wrestling. But as it turns out, all the rights money is in sport. So now they're trying to undo 10 years+ of entertainment conditioning and sell themselves as sport, for all that sweet sports rights money.

Did they do poorly? absolutely not it's a very nice increase from what they were making. But it's not what people expected, and it's not what they could have brought in, if not for the fact they've basically assassinated themselves for 10+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Day-to-day stock price is not a good representation of the value of a company, or the long-term value of a stock. You guys need to pay way less attention to this stuff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Onmi posted:

72 million dollars more is nowhere close to "the same as it was before" which was 108 Million.

It's just not the $260 million that some were expecting.

And that $108m was for more content than the $180m. So the actual profit margin is probably higher than even that.

The discussion on the Observer podcast made something clear that I hadn't thought of. WWE often touts the diversity of age, background, gender, ethnicity of it's audience. Which SOUNDS great. But advertisers don't want a show that kids and old people and Latinos and Caucasians and men and women watch. They want a specific demo they think their product is aimed at. And WWE draws good, but not great ratings in each of those demos (relatively speaking), and the perceived audience profile is one with less disposable income in the first place.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Onmi posted:

Pretty much, it's not unreasonable to expect they get a big rights increase because they alone let USA remain the No.1 channel and as Dave was talking about the Soccer gets way more than WWE does for nowhere near the same ratings.

But the thing is, the WWE has spent the better part of a decade trying to sell themselves as not sport, but entertainment, because Vince is Crazy and Dunn hates the fact he works in Wrestling. But as it turns out, all the rights money is in sport. So now they're trying to undo 10 years+ of entertainment conditioning and sell themselves as sport, for all that sweet sports rights money.

Did they do poorly? absolutely not it's a very nice increase from what they were making. But it's not what people expected, and it's not what they could have brought in, if not for the fact they've basically assassinated themselves for 10+ years.

It not just their own marketing stratetgy until very recently, it's also that networks can't get ad money for wrestling anywhere close to sports with similar (or lower) ratings since advertisers view wrestling fans as primarily falling into undesirable demos.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Thauros posted:

It not just their own marketing stratetgy until very recently, it's also that networks can't get ad money for wrestling anywhere close to sports with similar (or lower) ratings since advertisers view wrestling fans as primarily falling into undesirable demos.

Which is ridiculous for its own reasons, and one of the key facets of Vince being loving looney about how his product is perceived, unfortunately no matter what they do that perception is never going to change, even at its highest point people looked down negatively at Wrestling.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thauros posted:

The biggest issue is that for all intents and purposes, they're essentially a sport, but they're 100% fake, so logical homes for their content don't want to bring them in because it could be seen as lowering the perceived value of other sports on the network by association.

Live sports entities are getting big bank because there are several different channels now bidding each other up for those rights.

WWE is in this purgatory where they're not "sports" enough for sports channels but too "sports" for most non-sports channels.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The answer is more shoots

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Finally, Brawl For All 2 can happen.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Also according to Paul Heyman when Brock Lesnar conquered the Undertaker's streak at Wrestlemania.

I've never heard him say that. Where do you get this stuff? :rolleyes:

Shima Honnou posted:

Finally, Brawl For All 2 can happen.

I like the guy, but I would love nothing more for "getting Bart Gunned" to turn into "getting Ruseved."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Wrestling is better than most "sports" when it fires on all cylinders. The dudes are all athlete performers and a complete package. Any dumbass can get into the best shape and go punch a dude. Who cares. But to craft a story and to make it look good while not actually trying to hit the other guy takes skill brains and control.

Unless you are Ali. He got it. Entertained hyped and backed it all up. He's the protoype.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gatts posted:

Wrestling is better than most "sports" when it fires on all cylinders. The dudes are all athlete performers and a complete package. Any dumbass can get into the best shape and go punch a dude. Who cares. But to craft a story and to make it look good while not actually trying to hit the other guy takes skill brains and control.

Unless you are Ali. He got it. Entertained hyped and backed it all up. He's the protoype.

Doesn't matter, all that matters is a bunch of people who are important enough to matter see Wrestling as that thing from the Carnivals that was made for hicks with 8 kids who live in the sticks. Associate MY product with that degenerate garbage? how uncouth.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Chokes McGee posted:

I like the guy, but I would love nothing more for "getting Bart Gunned" to turn into "getting Ruseved."

And then it turns out that the when shoot-used the Camel Clutch can actually break back and make humble, when Xavier Woods is sent home in a wheelchair.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gatts posted:

Wait, what are you saying? That the absolute best of wrestling is better than the bottom of the barrel boxing? Because you need to consider that if WWE were to somehow die tomorrow, the United States' top pro wrestling champion would be Eric Young.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Great White Hope posted:

Wait, what are you saying? That the absolute best of wrestling is better than the bottom of the barrel boxing? Because you need to consider that if WWE were to somehow die tomorrow, the United States' top pro wrestling champion would be Eric Young.

Arguably that's because of how the WWF/E's operated for the past 30 years.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Arguably that's because of how the WWF/E's operated for the past 30 years.

And? If pro wrestling is "better" because Daniel Bryan is the total package as opposed to a hobo off the street trying to box, then it's only fair to compare Hobo Wrestling to top boxing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Hobo Wrestling, AKA any time Daniel Bryan and Luke Harper have a match.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

WWE needs to start advertising on other networks. I've never understood why they don't do that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Great White Hope posted:

And? If pro wrestling is "better" because Daniel Bryan is the total package as opposed to a hobo off the street trying to box, then it's only fair to compare Hobo Wrestling to top boxing.

Im not comparing it to bottom level. Or Bryan to a hobo. I prefer wrestling to MMA and Boxing as example. It doesn't take much to do a full swing to try and hurt another person. It takes a lot more to do pro wrestling well and not expose things and not legit get hurt. I appreciate what they do.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

WWE needs to start advertising on other networks. I've never understood why they don't do that.

Those networks only go halfway over the top, to like the apron. Only a network that's wayyyyyyy over the top is worthy of their advertising.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gatts posted:

Im not comparing it to bottom level. Or Bryan to a hobo. I prefer wrestling to MMA and Boxing as example. It doesn't take much to do a full swing to try and hurt another person. It takes a lot more to do pro wrestling well and not expose things and not legit get hurt. I appreciate what they do.

This is...more than a little reductive. Competing in combat sports at a world-class level, like any professional sport, take an unfathomable amount of skill, dedication, and athleticism. They're very different skill sets -- it's like saying "which is harder, being the best actor in the world or the best physicist?" It doesn't make sense to compare them.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gatts posted:

A boxer who can do nothing but flail around throwing punches *is* a bottom barrel boxer.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is...more than a little reductive. Competing in combat sports at a world-class level, like any professional sport, take an unfathomable amount of skill, dedication, and athleticism. They're very different skill sets -- it's like saying "which is harder, being the best actor in the world or the best physicist?" It doesn't make sense to compare them.

Hm. Okay good point in the sense it might not be something one should compare easily.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is what makes the few who are excellent at both so extraordinary. Off the top of my head, that would be Lesnar, Barnett, and Sakuraba. A couple of the Pancrase guys are arguable (Shamrock, Funaki, MiSu), but it's hard to judge how good they actually are at MMA due to Pancrase's shadiness and also Shamrock isn't that great a worker.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gatts posted:

Hm. Okay good point in the sense it might not be something one should compare easily.

You should also probably not say things like "it doesn't take much to do a full swing to try and hurt another person". Not only is it insulting to people who actually do box, even as a hobby, but it's just a stupid thing to say. It's like saying anyone could be Kevin Durant because "it doesn't take much to put a ball through a hoop". I mean, poo poo, it usually takes people 3-6 months of boxing just to be able to throw a half-decent jab at a heavy bag, which doesn't move or hit you back.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You should also probably not say things like "it doesn't take much to do a full swing to try and hurt another person". Not only is it insulting to people who actually do box, even as a hobby, but it's just a stupid thing to say. It's like saying anyone could be Kevin Durant because "it doesn't take much to put a ball through a hoop". I mean, poo poo, it usually takes people 3-6 months of boxing just to be able to throw a half-decent jab at a heavy bag, which doesn't move or hit you back.

Alright that was said in an inflammatory way. Point taken. My dumb.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Maybe a better comparison would be to compare wrestling to ballet or gymnastics, in the sense that both can be seen as sports (there are rules, you have to be trained, you have to be athletic, it's competitive and there's a clear winner/loser) and as artistic entertainment (it's choreographed, it's interpretive and acted).

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

boxing is also fixed though so I think it's a fair comparison

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thats the worst comparison possible cuz wrestling ain't ballet folks.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Great White Hope posted:

Wait, what are you saying? That the absolute best of wrestling is better than the bottom of the barrel boxing?

His name is Dave Batista and he's undefeated in combat sports

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Okay you wanna know why the WWE will never be able to make the bucks?

Because people like the people in the comments here still exist.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/16/investing/wwe-cable-deal/index.html

This is what they think of Wrestling fans, this is how, after everything wrestling has gone through, it is still seen by the public.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

From what I've heard, ballet is a real bitch to do well and probably harder than wrestling.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Did they officially announce how much they're going to get paid by NBCU? A 72mil increase sounds pretty good, sure it's not off the charts great but it's still a 70% increase over the previous deal.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Day-to-day stock price is not a good representation of the value of a company, or the long-term value of a stock. You guys need to pay way less attention to this stuff.

Next you'll tell us to stop breaking down the ratings segment-by-segment!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Mystery Opponent posted:

Did they officially announce how much they're going to get paid by NBCU? A 72mil increase sounds pretty good, sure it's not off the charts great but it's still a 70% increase over the previous deal.

Doesn't matter. They said at least double to investors, so that's what investors expected. 90% of the stock market is expectations. You could say "We made a billion dollars!" but if you said "We'll make a billion and one dollars" beforehand investors will be unhappy.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Look mate you don't have to lecture me on the fidgety nature of the stock market, I've watched Wolf of Wall Street :twisted:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mystery Opponent posted:

Look mate you don't have to lecture me on the fidgety nature of the stock market, I've watched Wolf of Wall Street :twisted:

How about a wrestling movie like that.

Rich Flair: "Now was using a chair like that legal? Absolutely not. But the ref wasn't looking." Flair flops.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Get the belt back on Cena ASAP to stop the stock from bleeding

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Midnightghoul posted:

Get the belt back on Cena ASAP to stop the stock from bleeding

If there's anything to be taken from the events of the past couple months, it's that Daniel Bryan is literally cursed and should probably be put into the Zack Ryder slot so that he hurts as few people and economies as possible from now on.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Onmi posted:

This is what they think of Wrestling fans, this is how, after everything wrestling has gone through, it is still seen by the public.

Comments sections are always like that, no matter what the topic.

Last I checked WWE stock merely went down 43%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Onmi posted:

quote:

President Laughingstock • 4 hours ago
who is surprised? The democrats who watch this?
1 • Reply•Share ›

• Locked thread